Challenge: 50 Books discussion

book reccom for a friend's graduation gift?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (jyf14) my best friend is graduating college this coming may, and I want to give him a special book that will impact him as a graduation gift. He will be going to law school, next, and I was wondering if you guys have some ideas.
Of course, the alchemist comes to my mind right away, but they have already read it... maybe they should read it again jaja.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments Gideon's Trumpet was required reading b/f I went in and I had to have my own Black's law dictionary . . .

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (bookspinesandwine) The last lecture?

message 4: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (bookspinesandwine) jodi picoults books all center around a court case... my faves are my sisters keeper, nineteen minutes, and plain truth. perfect if hes going to law school

message 5: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss. It sounds strange for a college grad, but it really is inspiring.

If you are looking for a good book based on our legal system, A Civil Action by Jonathan Harr is wonderful.

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments An Incomplete Education by Judy Miller & William Wilson because you only have so much time for electives. I probably wouldn't need this book if more of my teachers had been as informative and entertaining as Miller & Wilson. It also improved my Jeopardy scores.

Then maybe the Complete Works of William Shakespeare. Everything you need to know about human nature and because nothing impresses a jury like a nice Shakespeare quote. He's got something you can work into almost anything.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky | 93 comments Cecilia wrote: "Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss. It sounds strange for a college grad, but it really is inspiring.

If you are looking for a good book based on our legal system,..."

I agree with Oh the Place You'll Go...who says it needs to be a law book?

message 8: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments I gave several friends that Seuss book when they graduated from college or grad. school. They all loved it - sentimental and yet very much about their specific adventure at the time.

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen (jyf14) Haha thank you so much for the suggestions, Im really considering the Dr.Seuss book!

message 10: by Susanne (last edited May 07, 2010 12:03PM) (new)

Susanne (heysus74) Danielle wrote: "The last lecture"

I second The Last Lecture. Very inspirational. The book is in addition to a youtube video (over an hour) of him giving his last lecture.