The Perks of Being a Wallflower The Perks of Being a Wallflower discussion


2198 views
aunt Helen / Aunt Helen

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jerome (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:10PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jerome The author would capitalize 'Aunt Helen' at some points and 'aunt Helen' at others. Just curious to anyone's input on the matter or a general expansion of thought on the matter. Like 'aunt Helen' the pervert or 'Aunt Helen' the caring, two-gift giver.


message 2: by Sveta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sveta that's an excellent observation. i think you're correct.


Christy well the book was good don't get me wrong but i noticed alot of erroes in the novel, ex: using words in the wrong context but i did notice Aunt Helen and aunt helen i didnt see her as much of a pervert until the end when she was exposed but i think you got something there


Cristina wow, that's very interesting. I hadn't noticed.


message 5: by Scott (last edited Jan 21, 2008 02:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott If someone is using "Aunt Helen" as her name, it would be capitalized; if he says "my aunt Helen" then it wouldn't. Is that what you mean? If so, that's proper grammar.


message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 21, 2008 05:58PM) (new)

Christy:
I think all or the grammatical errors are intentional, or else they would have really bothered me. They're part of the character, since it's a 9th grade boy writing it.


Jerome Yes, I believe (message 6) Christy is correct in her belief the book is written from the perspective of a 9th grade boy's journal (or diary). So, there will be a number of errors purposefully executed. But the Aunt/aunt distinction I feel has a little more in terms of word power. I would have to go back and look up Scott's suggestion on how the author used the capitalization.

By the way, thanks for the discussion. I left this site for a while because I thought people were putting too many "reviews" (that honestly felt like 6th grade book reports) than actual discussion of books. Just kept on logging on, reading the pages and thinking enough already, I too read it.


Christy okay well i understand that it is proper grammer but i see it more as word power then anything else....after re reading i do think that the errors are ment to be there...thanks for pointing that out


message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree that the grammatical errors were intentional. Although Charlie is brilliant, he often talked about how he struggled with sentence structure and writing style etc. I believe the errors help build his character.


Charlie I too believe that the grammatical errors may be in place simply because Charlie is a freshman in high school, he has trouble focusing, and he struggles with sentence structure and wording. Also, I believe he states in the story that he often has problems with straying from his point. This too could be a reason for the grammatical errors, as his lack of focus causes him to overlook these things.

Also, the story is, obviously, told in the form of letters. This being the case, that too could be a reason for the grammatical errors. Because, although you'd still like to be correct, many people do not check informal letters as intensely as they do things like reports and essays.


Haley Walsh Totally off topic, but:
Did anyone immediately get that his aunt Helen molested him?
I didn't quite grasp that until the second time I read it.


Christy phff yes! i did notice! i was contemplating if what i saw was really there or not... i thought it was just an assumption...


message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually, it's just proper grammar. If you are referring to someone as "my aunt Helen," aunt is not capitalized; however, if you are addressing some one (i.e. "Hey, Aunt Helen...") Aunt is capitalized because it is part of that person's title. Charlie had blocked out the "pervert" parts of Aunt Helen, and was completely unaware that those things had happened until his last letters. I like the observation, but I just don't think it's correct in this case.


message 14: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I agree that all the grammatical errors and sentance structure errors were intentional in the beginning. Charlie even said that Bill told him that he needed to work on his sentance structure. When Charlie said that his sentance structure was getting better, it was evident in the letters. Also, there was even a spelling mistake where Charlie said in brackets afterwards that he didn't know how to spell it.
I also agree with message 13 about the capitalizing the "A" in Aunt Helen, only when it's her name.


Ashley Desotell I never noticed that, but now that you say it. It is true


message 16: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S Rajiv wrote: "How is Aunt Helen a pervert? I think I missed that part. Could someone kindly tell me? Thanks."

It's implied towards the end of the book. Sam and Charlie are about to have sex, but something's wrong, and through a dream, he remembers that Aunt Helen molested him.


message 17: by AJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

AJ I like the nice Aunt Helen better. The one that cared about Charlie


message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lichen As an editor, I have to say that Scott #5 is correct--the copy editor of this book ensured that Aunt Helen was capitalized when Charlie was using that as a name, and aunt Helen was used when she was otherwise being referred to. Copy editors are picky that way.


message 19: by AJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

AJ oh


Michelle Patricia wrote: "As an editor, I have to say that Scott #5 is correct--the copy editor of this book ensured that Aunt Helen was capitalized when Charlie was using that as a name, and aunt Helen was used when she wa..."



That's why I love copy editors!


Katie I recommended this book to two friends, and both of them came back to me confused about Charlie's personality. I had to explain to both of them that he was molested by his Aunt Helen, and I couldn't understand how they could have missed it. I thought the book was completely obvious at the end in saying that she molested him. Did anyone else feel this way or did I just see through to the subtleties more quickly than most?


Dennis I have read this book about 5 times since 2002 (ages 22-32). I always thought it was one of the most beautiful books I have ever written. I finished reading it again yesterday and was blown away...I never knew Charlie was molested by his Aunt Helen. It was clearly written there. I have no idea how I missed it.

Reading it through different eyes always helps. It makes me a little sad to realize that Charlie was molested, though it explains a lot (why he is so maladjusted).


Dennis Katie wrote: "I recommended this book to two friends, and both of them came back to me confused about Charlie's personality. I had to explain to both of them that he was molested by his Aunt Helen, and I couldn'..."

I have read the book several times over the last nine years and didn't realize he was molested until I finished it again (last night). Yes, it was very obvious reading it this go around that was was molested. I have no clue on how I missed it earlier.


message 24: by Layna (new)

Layna Crandell I think that Stephen Chbosky didn't want us to think of her like that, but was expressing that people can be completely unexpecting. Also, that even though she did do those things, she still was the one to give Charlie two presents and he loved her for that.


Cheyenne Branson Haley wrote: "Totally off topic, but:
Did anyone immediately get that his aunt Helen molested him?
I didn't quite grasp that until the second time I read it."


Oh yeah, I definitely had to think about it. It came as a complete surprise to me at the end, so I was confused for sure. Although, I did know there was something off about Charlie.


Maddy froehlich I think Charlie kind of blocked the whole Aunt Hellen being a pervert so he only remembered her as the GREAT Aunt Hellen the one that made his childhood amazing. But then he would remember the aunt Hellen the one that hurt him. And ditto I found him very odd and always felt there was something beneath the surface although it never crossed my mind that Aunt Hellen molested him. So very well done all in all....


Lindsey I read this back when it came out and several times since and the first time time I read it I definitely understood that the aunt had molested him, I also got from the beginning that by the way he acted he had had serious things happen to him.


Sally deleted user wrote: "Christy:
I think all or the grammatical errors are intentional, or else they would have really bothered me. They're part of the character, since it's a 9th grade boy writing it."


I agree, if you look carefully, you can also see his progress throughout the letters, and in the first couple he mentions what Bill wants him to improve on, and so he does.


Gretchen Doyle I LOVED this book the 1st time and every time after, but I always tell someone to read a lighter book after finishing this one; despite it's small size, it's a heavy read emotionally.

I never caught on to the Big A/little a, though. I'll have to read it again!


Marteen I have just finished reading this for the first time, Charlie makes me a little sad when reading the book as he is so emotional. I defo got that she molested him, I also didnt notice the Big A/little a thing. I might read it again before I have to return it to the library.


message 31: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra What did charlie mean when he said that 'something bad happened to Aunt Helen'?


message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, it could be that, or it could just be a grammar thing. "My aunt Helen wen to the mall" vs "Aunt Helen went to the mall"


message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Alexandra wrote: "What did charlie mean when he said that 'something bad happened to Aunt Helen'?"

yes, I'd like to have that clarified as well! I didn't really get it to be honest...


message 34: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate If you read the letter Charlie wrote December 26, 1991, you'll see Charlie briefly mentions that the "bad thing" that happened to his aunt Helen was that she was molested by a family friend and that her father didn't believe her. So this, along with a string of bad relationships, likely contributed to her molesting Charlie.


message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh! Well, of course.. I can't believe I simply forgot that very important part. Thanks for the feedback!


Maria Kate wrote: "If you read the letter Charlie wrote December 26, 1991, you'll see Charlie briefly mentions that the "bad thing" that happened to his aunt Helen was that she was molested by a family friend and tha..."

I missed that part.


Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books) If you didnt pick up on that he was molested, than what did you think his breakdown was all about? Just curious :)

It upset me that the person who did this to him died a long time ago... it made the whole revelation seem useless because there was nothing for him to do but accept it.


message 38: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam Williams Michelle wrote: "If you didnt pick up on that he was molested, than what did you think his breakdown was all about? Just curious :)

It upset me that the person who did this to him died a long time ago... it mad..."


I don't think it's that unusual that people don't face their accusers or even bring charges against them. Many abused children are consumed by guilt and rarely tell anyone about the incident. I think it's only recently that people have been facing their abusers and talking about it more openly.


marquie Perhaps aunt Helen is bipolar, or mentally disturbed. Hence, when she is feeling well or is on her good side, the author refers to her as "Aunt Helen".. but when she's succumbed to her darker mental side, she is "aunt Helen"


message 40: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin I feel kind of dumb for never noticing the reveal that Charlie was molested. Then again, I read it 6 months ago so maybe I just didn't care enough to remember.


marquie I don't understand why Charlie would be able to tolerate being around Aunt Helen after having been molested by her.. wouldn't he be sorta.. i dont know, traumatized by the experience and therefore resent her?


Gelay I just finished reading the book for the first time and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't misinterpreting the part about Aunt Helen molesting Charlie because I truly think she did. As for why Charlie tolerated it, maybe it's because that's what he thought "love" was. He felt so bad that she herself was molested that this was a kind of normal cycle.


marquie Gealine wrote: "I just finished reading the book for the first time and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't misinterpreting the part about Aunt Helen molesting Charlie because I truly think she did. As for why Cha..."

Do you think that his trauma of having been molested somehow affected his mental health somehow?


Gelay This is just my interpretation, but I think that Charlie probably already had a mental illness prior to being molested-he didn't entirely understand what his aunt what doing to him. It definitely made his mental health worse as he was going through the trauma.


message 45: by Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books) (last edited Feb 02, 2012 12:19PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books) In one of my college classes I read somewhere that it is thought that severe trauma at a young age(witnessing a murder, being molested, etc.) can trigger autistic tendencies. And I can kind of feel an austistic vibe about him...


message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I think little Charlie killed his Aunt Helen. :(

Pls. read my review about the book. Here.

http://renalapaisano.blogspot.com/201...


message 47: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Curran This has been one of my favorite books for years. After just finishing my first semester in graduate school for counseling I was eager to read this book again since I've been reading case studies all semester. I cannot believe I have never picked up on the fact Charlie was molested by his aunt when it was clearly written right there.


message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel When I first started reading this book I thought Charlie had some mental disability because of the way he acted. But at the end I didn't really catch the whole Aunt Helen thing until I got confused and looked it up. Then I re-read the end of the book and thought it was totally obvious and I still don't know how I missed it. But it explained why he acted so different than everyone else.


Meera Hi, I'm Stephen Chbosky's assistant, Meera. He really appreciates and is truly honored to have you read and discuss his book, The Perks of Being a Wallflower. The movie version of Perks, which Stephen also wrote, is being released nationwide in the US today, October 12th! To find showtimes/theaters near you, visit http://www.facebook.com/WallflowerMov...

Thank you so much for all the support, it really means a lot to Steve. We hope you love the movie as much as we do!


message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Meera, about the movie. It's already in the Philippines, but not particularly in Zamboanga City.. arrggkk I'm so annoyed, I want to see the movie so badly!!


« previous 1
back to top