On Reading Graphic Novels discussion

Egyptian Graphic Novel Idea- Interested?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:10PM) (new)

Lynn (camillalynnauthor) | 21 comments Hi all,

I’m new to your group and pretty new to this type of media. Granted I read comic books when I was younger, but have recently rediscovered my love for comics and just discovered it for more mature graphic novels. I have a prose novel in the last draft stage, and my cousin (a graphic designer) has expressed an interest in helping me turn the idea into a graphic story. Well I was wondering if there would be an audience for it.

Here’s a general blurb about the story. It is heavily rooted with controversial theory, mythology, adult themes (violence, sex, war), and time traveling. I’d appreciated any thoughts and possible interest in this type of story.

Buried by the winds of time and the sands of mainstream Egyptology is an ancient secret. Twins, Andrea and Elise Regal, are about to brush away the grains concealing their destines. The twins become unwilling pawns in the Gods’ game of Senet. Can they master the talimans before time proves fatal for all humanity?

A synopsis and chapters 1-5 are posted on my writing page.

Thanks for your input,
C. L. Easterwood

message 2: by Alien (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Alien  Citizen | 46 comments Mod
Are the Twins adults or kids? It sounds like a story idea that might do well as a graphic novel targeted at kids/teens...like Elfquest.

message 3: by Lynn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Lynn (camillalynnauthor) | 21 comments Hi Alien,

Love the pic by the way. :) It's hard to tell from the quickie blurb, but the twins are adults and the story is definately for mature audiences. I've met plenty of adults who love Egyptian stories and searched the net over. I've yet to find more than a handful of webcomics, graphic novels, and hard copy comics geared towards adults with an Ancient Egyptian theme. Lots of prose novels out there, but it's uncharted territory in the comic/graphic novel world.

Blessed be,
Lynn

message 4: by Lynn (last edited Jun 08, 2008 03:21PM) (new)

Lynn (camillalynnauthor) | 21 comments My cousin didn't work out and it was a nightmare for a while there. I just realized (looking at the date I posted the original thread) it's been almost a year already. I should have done this sooner.

But I'm not one to give up. I posted an ad at Deviant Art and now I'm doing a little dance - Whoooohoooooooo! I found the perfect artist to draw Ra's Warrior and she is sssssssssmmmoking!!! Inside 10 days she's done 3 concept sketches and nailed my character the first time around. I'm very excited because something tells me this artist won't waste my time. She's read most of the prose version, can already see the scenes in her head, she's already published children's books, and only works as a freelance artist so there's no normal job to distract her. You can see the sketches here: http://fallingsarah.deviantart.com/

Anyway, I have to prepare some stuff to send over to her so I must take my leave for now.
Have a terrific day!
Lynn

message 5: by Alien (new)

Alien  Citizen | 46 comments Mod
Congratulations Lynn, hope it works out!

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (camillalynnauthor) | 21 comments Ah, photos are so forth coming. I have some, but am holding out for the drawings of the pharaoh & others since we have already decided on the MC and her twin. We are getting geared up to start a website for the story now and are buying the name in a day or two so it's really getting moving now. We'll post pictures and other stuff once the site is up and going. The next step is to compile a list of interested folks and my signature on various boards are giving me some repeat traffic. I'm also learning about some marketing techniques in use by people who are gradually building their stories as web-comics. It's a learning experience, and I'm enjoying every minute.
Keeping you updated!
Lynn

message 7: by Lynn (last edited Jun 26, 2008 07:03AM) (new)

Lynn (camillalynnauthor) | 21 comments Almost 20 days later and I have pictures coming out of my ears! I'm very excited & proud to be posting preliminary images of Ra's Warrior & the Talismans of Time.
I hope you all join in their journey through time when the webcomic goes live!

Khufu

Duo- Andrea & Khufu

Page 1 Thumbnail sketch.

Blessings,
Lynn

message 8: by Bob (new)

Bob Cairns To be honest I cant beleive that Egyptian mythology hasn't been exploited more for comics. Its so rich and has only really been referenced at this point. Good luck.

message 9: by Lynn (last edited Jun 27, 2008 03:52AM) (new)

Lynn (camillalynnauthor) | 21 comments Hi Bob,
That's exactly why I wrote this story. There are only 2, yes 2, Egyptian webcomics on the Internet, not including mine and NONE in comic book stores in the US. THAT is about to change. There are non-fiction graphic novels exploring their myths, but as far as fiction is concerned, it's uncharted territory. I think the main reason for the lack of stories is because of the massive amounts of research that's involved. Not to mention the level of detail required for the artwork. Lucky for me Clarissa can draw in her sleep. lol I've been in love with Ancient Egypt since I was a child & as I grew up, I taught myself about it. For me it's a labor of love.
Thanks for the luck, too. I've a marketing plan set up, places to advertise that are affordable, and have already started doing soft hypes in several comic book forums. When the webcomic is ready to go live, I'm hoping to be inundated with traffic.
Hope to see you there!
Lynn

message 10: by Bob (new)

Bob Cairns Actually for that same reason I'm planning to get some time to work on some short stories i've been plotting in my head about Irish myth and turning it into a 30's, 40's pulp adventure type thing (i could think of a better word than thing but i couldn't spell it).

message 11: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (camillalynnauthor) | 21 comments That's a good idea. Irish mythology is also under appreciated & not done often. I have a hard time writing short stories, but strangely enough not a hard time writing short comics. :-)
Having finished the first issue of Ra's Warrior & the Talismans of Time and sent it off to my artist, I'm pretty proud of myself. I started on issue 2 yesterday and am finishing it off today. I'm amazed how quick & easy it is to convert a prose novel into a 22-30 page comic book. Sure there are things that have to be tweaked to fit a comic, but it's not as involved as writing prose. I've already got 4 issue laid out, but have to convert them to a Word script before sending them to Clarissa to draw.
Lynn