The Next Best Book Club discussion

TNBBC's Lists > Top laugh out loud books

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Smith (cynthiarsmith) | 32 comments I'm always looking for a good fun read. here are some of my fav's (in no particular order):

1. You're Stepping on My Cloak and Dagger
2. The Sheriff of Yrnameer: A Novel
3. Me Talk Pretty One Day or any David Sedaris

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments Pretty much all of David Sedaris' books...
All of 'Stephanie Plum' series by Janet Evanovich.
And I remember how funny the different situations were in James Herriott's 'All Creatures Great and Small' series. Mrs. Pomfrey was a riot with her dog 'Trickie Woo'!!!

message 3: by Mary (last edited Mar 20, 2010 09:18PM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 358 comments Ending Up and The Green Man, both by Kingsley Amis

This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

Definitely David Sedaris' books, especially Me Talk Pretty One Day

The First Day Of Friday by Honor Tracy

Laurie Notaro is a very funny essayist, a la Sedaris

message 4: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (a-town) | 308 comments America on Purpose by Craig Ferguson
The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers

message 5: by Marie-vicky (new)

Marie-vicky (grimace) | 49 comments Hi,
Lottery by Patricia Wood is really funny

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice These books are YA, but the Georgia Nicholson series by Louise Rennison beginning with Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging: Confessions of Georgia Nicolson make me laugh out loud on almost every page. My daughter and I read them together.

message 7: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1045 comments I love all of the Dortmunder book by Donald E Westlake. I also love the Maggody series by Joan Hess. I also liked The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Donald Adams.

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Smith (cynthiarsmith) | 32 comments ooh, lots of good ones! I'd forgotten about Craig Fergusson's book, that's a good one. I'll have to check out Notaro. just her titles crack me up!

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) Some books that have not only made me laugh out loud, but have made people look at me in confusion:
*Nick Hornby: About a Boy and High Fidelity
*Bridget Jones's Diary (I read it before the movie came out, sometimes the unexpected makes it funnier.)
*The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4
*Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson. I was an American just moved to Britain, and it was all so... about me
*Nice Cup of Tea and a Sit Down Mostly about British biscuits. After reading this, I went to Tescos and bought every biscuit mentioned that I had never tried. My mother in law was perplexed.

Oh dear, quite a theme here. Clearly wacky British humor tickles my fancy!

message 10: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jayme-reads) I haven't read much comedy, but of the few that I have, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of the few that made me laugh out loud.

message 11: by Clare (new)

Clare I made the mistake of reading Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys on the train. I must have looked like a maniac I couldn't stop laughing. There are some great lines in that book.

message 12: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (beagleandbooks) Any book from Jen Lancaster is laugh out loud hilarious!!! My personal favorites are, "Bitter is the New Black" and "Bright Lights, Big Ass"

;)

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) Fool, without a doubt!

message 14: by M. (new)

M. B. For a good laugh in the fantasy genre, check out Sir Apropos of Nothing and the sequal The Woad to Wuin by Peter David. The story makes fun of alot of well know Fantasy stories like Lord of the Rings and the search of the Holy Grail. Very hilarious!

message 15: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 266 comments Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman: Adventures of a Curious Character by Richard P. Feynman, is a very funny book by a science professor who was curious about all kinds of things.

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Smith (cynthiarsmith) | 32 comments Brenda,

that one sounds great and it just went on my TBR list!

message 18: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) I recently read A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel. It is an autobiography/memoir and quite a few times, while reading it, I was laughing out loud.

message 19: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 170 comments Jennifer wrote: "I recently read A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel. It is an autobiography/memoir and quite a few times, while reading it, I was laughing out loud."

I read it a few months ago and enjoyed it, too. I then bought She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana She Got Up Off the Couch And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana by Haven Kimmel the sequel of Zippy about her Mom finally joining the world. It, too, was funny and well done. Try to get your hands on it, it's worth it.

message 20: by Edith (new)

Edith | 256 comments I loved Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank: And Other Words of Delicate Southern Wisdom by Celia Rivenbark. I don't even have children and she made me laugh out loud. I just bought another one by her You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start in the Morning. I'm hoping that it's as funny.

message 21: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Clare wrote: "I made the mistake of reading Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys on the train. I must have looked like a maniac I couldn't stop laughing. There are some great lines in that book."

Felt the same way!

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 212 comments anything Janet Evanovich, from the Stephanie Plum series (she started it in the 80s or early 90s and the outfits alone are enough to make me lol!)
anything by Jen Lancaster (especially the ikea scene, i laughed so hard i cried, but i can't remember if thats in the the 1st or 2nd book)
the Aisling Grey series by Katie MacAlister (talking dog)

message 24: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 1286 comments Anything by Tom Sharpe, particularly the Porterhouse Blues and Blot on the Landscape. Absolutely hilarious.

Hitch Hiker's Guide -- many a good laugh.

Mapp and Lucia books.

I Hate to Cook Book - Peg Bracken. Brings back the good old days when I learned to cook using this book. My husband now does the cooking.

Anything Jeeves.

message 25: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Smith (cynthiarsmith) | 32 comments oooh, Erma Bombeck. used to follow her column in the paper. love her stuff. hmmm, maybe that's why I DON'T have kids??? ;)

message 26: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 6029 comments Have to agree with Evanovich, Hess, Bombeck, and Katie MacAlister. But my favorite funny books are by Jennifer Crusie, such as Welcome to Temptation, Faking It, Getting Rid of Bradley, etc. - and the Bagthorpe series by Helen Cresswell.Ordinary Jack, The Bagthorpes Absolute Zero, Bagthorpes Besieged (Bagthorpe Saga #9), etc.

message 27: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 101 comments I have read many books that made me laugh! Here are my top laugh out loud books:

1) The True Story of the Three Little Pigs
2) The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales
3) The Fool and the Flying Ship
4) Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale
5) Walter the Farting Dog
6) Ranma 1/2, Volume 2
7) Ranma 1/2, Volume 4
8) Squids Will Be Squids
9) Pecos Bill
10)Rude Giants

These are all children's books, but hopefully I will read more adult books that also contain comedy.

message 28: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 170 comments Ronyell wrote: "I have read many books that made me laugh! Here are my top laugh out loud books:

2) [book:The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid ..."

Milo's Hat is an excellent children's book

message 29: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 101 comments Hmm... I haven't read Milo's Hat before. Is it a really funny book?

message 30: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jayme-reads) I used to watch Ranma 1/2. It is pretty hilarious.

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 212 comments rebecca j said: 1413603 Have to agree with Evanovich, Hess, Bombeck, and Katie MacAlister. But my favorite funny books are by Jennifer Crusie, such as Welcome to Temptation, Faking It, Getting Rid of Bradley, etc. -

i love jennifer crusie too! i read faking it all the time! i know what's going to happen, but i still laugh!

message 32: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 101 comments Jayme wrote: "I used to watch Ranma 1/2. It is pretty hilarious."

Oh my gosh!!!! I love Ranma 1/2 too! I actually own volumes 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 29 and two more! Ranma 1/2 is such a great manga series as it's so hilarious and exciting at the same time! Which character was your favorite! I like all of them because they all have unique personalities.

message 33: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jayme-reads) I don't know if I have a favourite, I haven't seen it for a long time, but I did have a lot of fun watching them.

message 34: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 101 comments Jayme wrote: "I don't know if I have a favourite, I haven't seen it for a long time, but I did have a lot of fun watching them."

Yeah, I enjoyed watching all the characters of Ranma 1/2. They are just so interesting!

message 35: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 6029 comments Jennifer, have you read Wild Ride yet? It's just as funny as ever, and it has a paranormal side! It was great! I keep all my Crusie books, I love to read them again and again!

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 212 comments I have not read wild ride yet! I must find it!

message 37: by Reyelee (new)

Reyelee | 2 comments The Spellman Files
Curse of the Spellmans
Revenge of the Spellmans
The Spellmans Strike Again.

Author: Lisa Lutz.

I honestly love these books. I read all four of them in a three day period. Of course I was unemployed at the time... Though I don't think that reflects on their general hilarity.

message 38: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Barlow | 101 comments Stark and Gridlock by Ben Elton made me look like a nutter cos I just sat there chuckling away to myself.

message 39: by Jane (new)

Jane | 221 comments I just read Boomsday by Christopher Buckley and thought it was a scream. A while back I read Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie and that was really funny too.

message 40: by Amber (new)

Amber Scott (amberscott) | 17 comments Nearly Departed in Deadwoodhad me laughing out loud.
A Walk in the Snarkshould be a pre-nuptial manual. Too true, too funny.

message 41: by Amber (new)

Amber Scott (amberscott) | 17 comments Ronyell wrote: "I have read many books that made me laugh! Here are my top laugh out loud books:

2) [book:The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid ..."

I love all Mo Willems books. Very funny!

message 42: by Jane (new)

Jane | 221 comments Just finished another funny one - Good Omens by Neil Gaman and Terry Pratchett ---

message 43: by Jane (new)

Jane | 221 comments Sorry that's Neil Gaiman ---

message 44: by Yuliya (new)

Yuliya (yuliyalovestoread) | 1685 comments right now I'm reading My Horisontal Life" by Chelsea Handler and yes, it make me smile and gogle sometimes

message 45: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (ttakats) Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore

John Dies at the End by David Wong (seriously give it a shot its funny, scary and wholly unique)

and of course:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

message 46: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 1955 comments Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is always good for a LOL moment or two.

message 47: by Jane (new)

Jane | 221 comments Almost anything by Christopher Moore and Christopher Buckley

message 48: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 14 comments The Super Spud Trilogy

I may be the author but don't just take my word, read the reviews :)

message 49: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) I don't seek out comedy, but when a serious read is bloody funny I love that. So I loved this from Tom Holt, who otherwise writes comic fantasy - which I'd never have gone to. This one is historical fiction and quite seriously so (has a lot to say) but I laughed aloud, dozens of times.

Alexander at the World's End