Should have read classics discussion

Group Book Discussions > A tale of two cities

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 1864 comments Mod
Does anyone else find that maybe we need to read the young adult version? Or do you read it like me and skip large paragraghs? Rather wordy don't you think?

message 2: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
Hey, I finally made it to an interesting part of the novel...chp. 7 and 8 weren't too bad. Hope it stays stat way?! Otherwise, I'm not sure I'm going to make it all the way through.
Kerri

message 3: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

I still enjoy it, but chpts 4,5, were confusing. Who are all these new people and why do I care about a odd job man? Why do I care about two lawyers that stay up all night drinking? I'm in the middle of chp 6, so I will hope that these questions get cleared up!

message 4: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
Ok, I agree, besides Mr. Lawry I can't follow any of these characters...when will everything get tied together and why is this such a great book if it takes so long to get into it and it takes a spreadsheet to try to follow what's going on....ugh!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 124 comments I really need to catch up with you two. Sorry I am lagging behind.

message 6: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

No need to worry, Kerri and I are having issues figuring out who all these characters are. Obviously, we are not burning through the book either!

message 7: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Ok, now we are talking! It is finally getting interesting! I am on page 322 and with the French Revolution in full swing, now some heads are going to roll!!LOL Actually, you could see what was coming about 20 pages ago and I just wanted to yell "you idiot, don't do it, but it happened anyway." Starting not to like the knitting lady! Enjoy!

message 8: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
I told you to watch out for Madame DeFarge! Hate to say it but I was looking up some info on wikipedia about some of the characters in the book and I read a "spoiler". Just wait to see what happens...this might end up being a good book after all.

message 9: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

For shame! Reading the end of the book, or a spoiler for that matter! Did it end like you thought?

message 10: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
I reserve comment...but it does have a few surprises at the end. Just you wait and see!

message 11: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

What did you think of the ending? Did you have any pity for Madame Defarge?

message 12: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
Loved the ending in that it showed the redeeming qualities in all of us and that we all have a purpose. It was also interesting the Luci had once said to Sidney something like "isn't there anything I can do help you?" Sidney didn't think he had any redeeming qualities yet Luci's pure heart and example changed his own heart to do something honorable.

I feel pity for Madame Defarge in what she experienced in life...yet, she became just as hardhearted, judgemental, and vindictive, as those who wronged her and her family.

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Johnson | 40 comments Kerri wrote: "I told you to watch out for Madame DeFarge! Hate to say it but I was looking up some info on wikipedia about some of the characters in the book and I read a "spoiler". Just wait to see what happe..."

HAHA...I do that all the time. I can't seem to help myself.

message 14: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

We all should feel proud and trendsetting! Oprah is annoucing her new book picks on Monday and they are "A Tale of Two Cities" and Great Expectations". Who knew that we were so hip? LOL!

message 15: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
We should give Oprah more ideas...do you think she would hire us? LOL!

message 16: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

I wish! I thought that she was stopping her bookclub though!

message 17: by Kerri, the sane one (new)

Kerri | 328 comments Mod
It probably ends with her Oprah show in May...but, she just launched her new network. Maybe we could propose some new show ideas.