Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Other Authors, Books or Groups > Goodreads Book Swap & Giveaways

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) Has anyone tried goodreads book swap? I did the first of the week, and sometime soon i'll be the owner of Santa's Twin. It was less then $4.00 bucks. Yeah for me!

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise (pinkdynamite22) That's a great price! I haven't tried it. I've only been on goodreads for a couple weeks. I never looked at the book swap; I just assumed it was more of a lending program for trades. I suppose I would be more comfortable with that program if I didn't expect to get my book back.

message 3: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 6054 comments Mod
Lori wrote: "Has anyone tried goodreads book swap? I did the first of the week, and sometime soon i'll be the owner of Santa's Twin. It was less then $4.00 bucks. Yeah for me!"

I've never had an interest in the book swap program. Isn't Santa's Twin a childrens picture book? The story of Santa's Twin is also found in Mr. Murder (without pictures of course :-) There is a sequel to Santa's Twin called Robot Santa.
Santa's Twin by Dean Koontz

Susan (aka Just My Op) (justmyop) I've given away a couple of books on it and received one but since I get most of my books from the library and often pass the ones I own to friends and family, I don't have as much to list as I would like. There are some people who seem to take advantage of the program, grabbing up lots of books and giving away few, but you can always check a person's book karma before you agree to send, something I didn't originally know about.

message 5: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

A related issue :-) I just discovered the Goodreads Firstreads - Giveaways. Authors or Publishers will give away copies of books, sometimes before they are released to help promote their book. All you have to do is give your shipping address. The person sending the book agrees not to use your address for any other reason than to ship the book if you win. This is definitely worth checking out. I only enter for a book that I would actually read. I'm sure some people try to take advantage of the giveaways. Here's a link that should take you to the giveaway page, but if it doesn't work just click on "find books" at the top of the goodreads page and there's a link for "giveaways".
http://www.goodreads.com/book/explore

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason Slovak (joeysdad) | 81 comments Dustin wrote: "A related issue :-) I just discovered the Goodreads Firstreads - Giveaways. Authors or Publishers will give away copies of books, sometimes before they are released to help promote their book. All ..."
Thanks for this! I hadn't noticed this feature before. It's pretty neat. I've entered for about 10 books from the list.

message 7: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I've entered about a zillion giveaways it seems. I've only won one book and it hasn't arrived yet :-( I'll keep entering - I feel like I'm gambling for free :-)

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason Slovak (joeysdad) | 81 comments Congrats Dustin. What book did you win?

message 9: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

This one:
[image error]

you'll notice my books are increasing in number because I'm adding all these giveaway titles as "to-read" just like they suggest :-)

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason Slovak (joeysdad) | 81 comments Nice! That looks interesting. I wish they had gone with Transylvania! I've only marked a couple of those books "to read". I wonder if it helps your chances?

message 11: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Apr 02, 2010 08:43PM) (new)

Winners are randomly selected so I don't think it makes a difference whether it's actually marked "to-read". If you do win a book you're supposed to review it - if you don't, it's supposed to slightly decrease your chance of winning again.

message 12: by Matt R. (new)

Matt R. (matt2009) | 202 comments I won one book, it was a YA sci-fi book. I was not impressed but some of the other titles look interesting. I might throw my name in the hat again. It is a good way to discover some new authors.

message 13: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I just won my second goodreads first reads book :-)
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson

message 14: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 666 comments This sounds interesting. Where can I sign up for this contest ? Maybe I'll win something.

message 15: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Apr 23, 2010 08:00AM) (new)

go to the top of this page, click "find books" - this will bring up some tabs, select "giveaways" it'll bring up some covers/books ending soon, go to the bottom and click where it says "more giveaways" you can then view "recently listed", "ending soon", "popular authors" and "most requested"
Good Luck.

message 16: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I just finished reading my first giveaway last night. I was kinda thinking it was keeping me from winning more titles. I knew I had a lot of book giveaways I had entered that where ending last night so I decided to test my theory by finishing up the other book and marking it as "read". Maybe it's just a coincidence :-)

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason Slovak (joeysdad) | 81 comments Congrats on winning "Spin" Dustin! I had entered to win that one too (along with about 5 or 6 others that ended today). The little bit I read about Spin sounded pretty good.

message 18: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 666 comments Dustin wrote: "go to the top of this page, click "find books" - this will bring up some tabs, select "giveaways" it'll bring up some covers/books ending soon, go to the bottom and click where it says "more giveaw..."

Thanks ! I'll give it a try.

message 19: by Jaice (last edited Apr 23, 2010 02:42PM) (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Maciek wrote: "This sounds interesting. Where can I sign up for this contest ? Maybe I'll win something."

Just so you know, most of the giveaways are only for the U. S., Canada, and Great Britain. :-(

message 20: by Jaice (last edited Apr 23, 2010 02:51PM) (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments I won one a few weeks ago about mental health by former First Lady Rosalynn Carter. It is an advanced uncorrected proof. I am going to give it to my mentor, who is a pediatric psychiatrist (not affiliated with Dr. Mark Ahriman ;-)), though I intend to look through it a bit also, before I give it to her. :-)

message 21: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 666 comments Jason "plasborgma" wrote: "Maciek wrote: "This sounds interesting. Where can I sign up for this contest ? Maybe I'll win something."

Just so you know, most of the giveaways are only for the U. S., Canada, and Great Britain...."

DOH !

message 22: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

[image error]
My third Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

My second first reads book, SPIN, just arrived today :-)

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason Slovak (joeysdad) | 81 comments Dustin wrote: "[image error]
My third Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

My second first reads book, SPIN, just arrived today :-)"

Let me know what you think of Spin. I saw that in the giveaways and thought it looked good.

message 24: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited May 03, 2010 02:46PM) (new)

Spin has lots of pages!!! Well it's a lot of pages for me :-) 458 in mass market paperback. I'll probably be reading it for a while :-) It sounds really good though. I'll be updating my status on this book frequently since it's a first-read title and I will be posting a review also. Spin was published 5 years ago.

Here's the ravings from the cover:

"Robert Charles Wilson is a hell of a storyteller." - Stephen King

"The best science fiction novel so far this year."
-Rocky Mountain News

"Breathtaking!" -Publishers Weekly

"SPIN is many things: psychological novel, technological thriller, apocalyptic picaresque, cosmological meditation. But it is foremost, the first major SF of 2005, another triumph for Robert Charles Wilson in a long string of triumphs." - Locus

"The time is the day after tomorrow, and three adolescents - Diane and Jason Lawton, twins and their best friend, Tyler Dupree - are out stargazing. Thus they witness the erection of a planet-spanning shield around the globe, blocking out the universe. SPIN chronicles the next 30-odd years in the lives of the trio, during which 300 billion years will pass outside the shield, thanks to an engineered time discontinuity. Jason, a genius, will invest his celibate life in unraveling cosmological mysteries. Tyler will become a doctor and act as our narrator and as Jason's confidante, while nursing his unrequited love for Diane, who in turn plunges into religious fanaticism. Along the way, human-descended Martians will appear, bringing a drug that can elevate humans to the Fourth State, 'an adulthood beyond adulthood'. But will even this miracle be enough to save Earth?...Here's a book that features speculative conceits as brash and thrilling as those found in any space opera, along with insights into the human condition as rich as those contained within any mainstream mimetic fiction, with both its conceits and insights beautifully embedded in crystalline prose."
-The Washington Post

Sounds like I won me a winner don't it? :-)
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
SPIN by Robert Charles Wilson

message 25: by Jason (new)

Jason Slovak (joeysdad) | 81 comments I just won my 1st first-reads book! It's called "Why I Fight: The Belt Is Just an Accessory" by BJ Penn. He is one of the top fighters in the UFC.

message 26: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited May 04, 2010 08:44AM) (new)

Congrats Slo! I just won my fourth book, non-fiction about attempted suicide :-) Yay!
Life, In Spite of Me Finding Extraordinary Hope After Making a Fatal Choice by Kristen Jane Anderson

message 27: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Here's your book Slo. I remember seeing this one, but it didn't interest me :-)
Why I Fight The Belt Is Just an Accessory by Jay Dee "b.j." Penn

message 28: by Jason (new)

Jason Slovak (joeysdad) | 81 comments Dustin wrote: "Here's your book Slo. I remember seeing this one, but it didn't interest me :-)
Why I Fight The Belt Is Just an Accessory by Jay Dee "b.j." Penn"

Thanks Dustin. Hey, how do you paste the book cover in the post like that? I'm still sort of a newbie here :)

message 29: by Jason (new)

Jason Slovak (joeysdad) | 81 comments Dustin wrote: "Congrats Slo! I just won my fourth book, non-fiction about attempted suicide :-) Yay!
Life, In Spite of Me Finding Extraordinary Hope After Making a Fatal Choice by Kristen Jane Anderson"

Sorry but I had to kind of chuckle at the "attempted suicide :-) Yay!"

:)

message 30: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Yeah I did that on purpose :-)

to add a bookcover is very simple:
1.go to the comment box
2.click on the add book/author link directly above the comment box
3.search by title or author and add either the cover or just a link

message 31: by Jason (last edited May 04, 2010 09:07AM) (new)

Jason Slovak (joeysdad) | 81 comments The Taking by Dean Koontz

Der....that was easy... Now, I feel silly I never noticed that option before.

I just put The Taking here as a test and because I really like that cover art.

Thanks Dustin!

message 32: by Emily (new)

Emily (emahh1) | 66 comments not a goodreads thing, but I've had some luck on swaptree.com you list all the books you have that you don't want and other people do the same and the site finds matches. It cost 1.00/month that you do a trade (if you don't trade in a month there is no cost) then you ship your book you can even print prepaid shipping labels on your printer and swaptree will bill you at the end of the month. I think it's only US, and I've had about 4 trades. It's a good way to try new books and decrease the clutter of books you aren't going to read again.

message 33: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I won me another one - non-fiction about sibling rivalry I think :-)
Mom Still Likes You Best The Unfinished Business Between Siblings by Jane Isay

message 34: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 666 comments Dustin, you win like 8 books a week. You must have some connections with the administration. ;)

message 35: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

No, this is actually only my fourth goodreads giveaway I think :-)

message 36: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I just won me another one. I'm starting to wonder how I'm going to read all these free books :-) I can get through a book fairly quickly with the help of audiobooks but with ARC and the lesser known goodreads authors, are not an option. My first first-reads win was pretty easy to read because it had lots of pictures/maps :-)
Kaspar Traulhaine, approximate by Pablo D'Stair

message 37: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited May 08, 2010 06:38AM) (new)

One of my goodreads friends has shared her ARC of the following book with me so I have this one to read too:

The Other Wes Moore One Name, Two Fates by Wes Moore

message 38: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Besides the first-reads giveaways, I've also recently gotten free copies of the following books directly from the authors: (What have I gotten myself into?)
No Greater Sacrifice by John C. Stipa Moonlight Falls by Vincent Zandri Sparrow Rock by Nate Kenyon Enemies and Playmates by Darcia Helle

message 39: by Emily (new)

Emily (emahh1) | 66 comments Dustin wrote: "I won me another one - non-fiction about sibling rivalry I think :-)
Mom Still Likes You Best The Unfinished Business Between Siblings by Jane Isay"

Dustin, so jealous, wanted that one BAD! Enjoy it and post a review so I know if it's any good,
Congratz!

message 40: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Emily :-) I may be willing to send that book to you after I'm done. I forgot to mention the book that Tess Gerritsen and Random House sent me, which I'm sending to you after I'm done right?

I'm not too hard on books so hopefully by the time they get to you they'll still be in fairly good condition - at least I don't smoke :-)

Ice Cold A Novel by Tess Gerritsen

message 41: by Emily (new)

Emily (emahh1) | 66 comments yes, I can't wait to read it! It'd be great if you wanted to send me Mom still likes yoy best when your done, it sounded like great book, as I have 1 half sister, 2 half brothers, 1 step sister and 1 step brother (yea for blended families!) you can imagine all the fights about who was liked more! We were awful! Most of us get along now though. Being in 3 different states helps. Wow, your to read pile must be HUGE! I got my copy of the Kult and can't wait to start it. Thanks so much for all the work you are doing!

message 42: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I'm gonna take a little break from arranging giveaways, but you know if an author contacts me with free books, I just can't resist! :-) Follow my reviews about Mom Still Likes You Best and you'll know when it's headed your way :-)

message 43: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I just won a book called Shot to Death. I'm really excited about this one because it contains 31 murder mysteries and it's only 270 pages long!
Shot to Death by Stephen D. Rogers

message 44: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I just won this book of poetry - I'm really glad that it's only 95 pages!
 Refuge e by Adnan Mahmutovic

message 45: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Today's first reads win:
Crazy for the Storm A Memoir of Survival by Norman Ollestad

message 46: by Maciek (new)

Maciek (pan_maciej) | 666 comments LOL Dustin, you either really are Dean or goodreads administrators. You don't get eight books a week - you get eight books an hour ! ;)

message 47: by Jason (new)

Jason Slovak (joeysdad) | 81 comments Dustin, you're cleaning up on these! Are you up to 9 now?!

message 48: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Umm I lost count, but I didn't win one today :-) that's all I know anymore.

message 49: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Today I won: First Comes Love, Then Comes Malaria - there were 20 copies given away :-)
First Comes Love, Then Comes Malaria How a Peace Corps Poster Boy Won My Heart and a Third World Adventure Changed My Life by Eve Brown-Waite

message 50: by Jason (new)

Jason Slovak (joeysdad) | 81 comments I won my 2nd First-reads book today. Sounds like it will be a good one. :)

The Doomsday Key (Sigma Force, #6) by James Rollins

« previous 1 3