Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Anyone read "I am the Messenger" by Markus Zusak? *spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I just finished this book and I SO want someone to bounce some questions off of. It was a good book not as great as Book Thief but still good. Anyone Anyone? Bueller Bueller?

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) ooh ooh! I did! Talk to me, Tera... (I'm Kim by the way... sorry...first post, saw this and had to react.)

message 3: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
YAY!!!
Hi Kim ;).

Ok so I really liked this book but I'm wondering what you thought of the end? I was sure it would be linked to his father and the robbery but it wasn't really.

The guy who came to his house at the end are we to think that was the author? I kinda thought that's what it was but it wasn't clear either. I thought of how an author collects ideas and jots things down and then creates the story. He was the story used to tell a bigger story. So no one was real (of course) and you glimpsed into the authors process. Or am I over thinking this?
I loved Milla and Sophie. He did such a wonderful job of creating the beauty of these two one very old and one very young but both so beautiful in who they were and their setting.
I read it last night and I'm still thinking about the characters. I love it when a book does that to me.
In my library it was in the Young Adult section but it seemed more of an adult read to me. What age do you think its meant for?
This is my second book by him I have read and I have loved both. What a talent.

message 4: by Kim (last edited May 21, 2008 10:04AM) (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) I loved the book, until the end. I felt like he was trying to 'teach' us something.
Bear with me, I read this like 5 books back, so I'll need to actually, uh, think.
I'm almost thinking I like this book more than The Book Thief because of some of the passages, I just found a piece of scrap paper in my bag where I had jotted down some of the lines (added some to my quotes too)

I loved Milla and Sophie. He did such a wonderful job of creating the beauty of these two one very old and one very young but both so beautiful in who they were and their setting.

oh, you are so so on the ball with that.

I had this discussion with a friend of mine who didn't like this book so much, she felt like shaking Ed and telling him to 'do something, already', but I felt that Ed had to learn his own limits and that through that we learned more about Ed.

Let me think more on this... :-)

This is/was my review
(if you're interested)

message 5: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
LOL I read your review and I agree. I found his thoughts about women to be so swoonworthy (that's a word right?) He really noticed them and not just physically but in the subtle ways they moved or spoke. He seemed to find beauty in all of them and gave that to the reader.
I never wanted to shake him, the poor kid got shook up enough with Daryl and Keith who may possibly be the best supporting supporting characters since Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. Hmmm now that I think of it there were a few similarities with this book and Hamlet in a very far off way.

message 6: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Okay I read some other reviews and someone suggested that the guy at the end was God. ? Interesting thought there. That would make the book much deeper that I had given it credit for. I am thinking it was Markus Zusak myself although in many ways I guess the author of a book is the God of that created world.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) I had the God theory too... and it seemed a bit too trite for me. Oh yes, Daryl and Keith were totally the Rosencrantz/Guildenstern sides!

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) oh, and Swoonworthy is totally a word.
screw Websters... :-)

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) Okay, I'm a bit sleep deprived, but I'm going to comment... usually this is when I'm at my best, but... not always.

I wish that the end of the book was just washed away. Even, I think, when he has to help out hs friends... I felt that all that was formulaic. I forgave him (Marcus) though because it was his first book and the rest of the story was so strong that I would have forgave him for it if it weren't for that last part with God/the Author/ the whole 'let's drive this message home'. I don't think it needed it. It made me think that it was added on, like the way the ending of Pretty in Pink was changed so that Molly Ringwald ended up with the cute guy and not Duckie? Yeah... I can see poor Marcus sitting in his editors/publishers office and them going 'look, you need to drive your point home, you need tie it all together'. Who says? Why not just have it as this mysterious fellow just wants to use Ed like a pawn? Why can't we readers make up our own mind as to who it is? I felt a bit cheated by it but I let it slide because the way the beginning and middle play out, I was all for forgiveness. I think the whole Milla and Sophie parts were beautiful. Also, the parts with the abuser... I was wretched after that whole scene.
It's great that he didn't slide with The Book Thief, I can't wait for his next book.

message 10: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 532 comments I hate it that I couldn't get hooked into this book like I did the Book Thief.

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim (kmdoubleday) Really, Carrie? What stopped you? I'm just curious because I'm hearing 'blah' things from other people to.

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I have not read this book, but I would liked to. It looks really good :)