Chicks On Lit discussion

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura | 49 comments Has anyone read this book? If not you have to try it...the subject matter is new (although it was done in Hush, Hush) and just draws you in. It is a page turner full of suprises and at times can be disturbing. I hope there is a sequel, has anyone heard that there will be?

message 2: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Angelology: A Novel is this the book? I havent heard of it before looks interesting.

message 3: by Holli (new)

Holli I just saw a blurb about this book somewhere and added it to the list recently... it looks really good!

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 49 comments Yes...it is the book..it is very interesting and unique

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 209 comments I tried to win a first reads copy of this and failed. I have been thinking of getting it for the Kindle though. It looks really interesting.

message 6: by Rita (new)

Rita Lott (carvalhomeritunuedu) | 38 comments the book was recently on the NYT Book Reviews. The author is in a podcast of the NYT Book review, early this month. It is worth listening before the reading :)

message 7: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) I read a review of this book and it sounds so interesting. Its definitely on my list of books to buy. Can't wait to read it!

message 8: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) Well, you've convinced me to have a look at this book. It sounds intriguing!

message 9: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 654 comments Ooh reminds me of The Fallen! I put it on my TBR. Shame I cannot try for the first reads copy. That one is for GB only.

message 10: by AJ (new)

AJ (anersword) | 121 comments NPR reviewed it recently as well:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/st...

message 11: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) Thanks for the link AJ!

message 12: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) I read this book and while it was a dark book, it was very interesting and engaging.

message 13: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 12 comments I really, really liked the book.

http://charlotteswebofbooks.blogspot....

It was an intelligently written, well researched book. Akin to The Historian or even anything by Dan Brown.

message 14: by Eve (new)

Eve (eve_lyn) Charlotte wrote: "It was an intelligently written, well researched book. Akin to The Historian..."

I too compared it to The Historian, which is one of my favorite books. In fact, in my review, I called it the heir to The Historian!

message 15: by Barbara H (new)

Barbara H (barbhh) The Boston Sunday Globe book review made a mockery of this book. They essentially described it as ridiculous.

message 16: by Leah (last edited Apr 16, 2010 01:32PM) (new)

Leah | 19 comments Since this post was started has anyone else read this book? I just read a Time magazine review of it and can't tell just how "dark" is it? I read several reviews but there were 9 pages giving their version but haven't found where anyone mentioned if the "dark" characters were promoted as heros or as enemies. Would anyone of you recommend it for a reader that prefers to read it if I know ahead of time that "good" is actually promoted as "good"? (I assume the main character is good, Nephilim bad) Some writers have a way of getting the reader to sympathize with the dark character. I only have small amounts of time to read and don't want to pursue it if I will be disappointed.

message 17: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) The dark characters were definitely portrayed as bad, however there is a surprise about the main character at the end. Even with that, it is definitely a good versus evil kind of book. I enjoyed it although it did take me a little while to read it.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Barbara wrote: "The Boston Sunday Globe book review made a mockery of this book. They essentially described it as ridiculous."

I tend to agree with them.

message 19: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (akbaum) I also read this book. I would not recommend it. I did not like the ending at all.

message 20: by Leah (new)

Leah | 19 comments I happend to pick up a copy with a 50% off sale. I was still curious. I'm 3/4 through so I guess I'll finish it. I like that she uses words I haven't heard before and new words she's made up. I really enjoyed the first part but now that it's back to the main character I'm a little bored. I think the middle story and Celestine as the main character would have been a better book. I'll post again after I finish it.

message 21: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) Anne wrote: "I also read this book. I would not recommend it. I did not like the ending at all."

I think what was difficult about the ending is that it left many things open and not resolved. I have heard that she is writing a sequel so I am curious to see how she resolves it.

message 22: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (akbaum) I agree with you Wendy. It was very much unresolved. I felt like the book kept leading up to something, but when I got to the end, nothing. I didn't necessarily need a happily ever after, but I had no idea what to make of the end.

message 23: by Leah (new)

Leah | 19 comments I finished it last night and thought the ending was odd. I had expected part of it but the last three pages felt disconnected from the rest of the book. I think because she didn't lead us into identifying with the main character. We didn't feel things along with her. The story takes course over only two days and the character is completely different at the end, but we are "left out" of the experience at the end. I don't think I could sit through a sequel unless I had read all my other "to be read". If it were made into a movie, though, I'd watch the dvd.Brenda, let us know what you think of it.

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Gender | 7 comments I bought the audio version and just finished last night. Good (Angelologists) Vs. bad (Angels/Nephilim). At first I wasn't sure if I would like reading about bad angels but it was very interesting to read this new twist. I really enjoyed it till the end. It just left you hanging - there must be a 2nd book in the works or that really ticks me off. :)

It would make a great movie if they add a few chapters to the ending! It's just not complete the way it is.

message 25: by Leah (new)

Leah | 19 comments Wow, Brenda - you're a fast reader! I'm glad you finished it though and posted. I was wondering what you decided. It was such a strange ending - unfair to the reader to just check out at the end and insist we read the next book. We all like knowing there's a sequel but this book gave no indication until the last chapter. I don't plan to read the sequel either, for that reason alone.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Montanamarynotmartha wrote: "Wow, Brenda - you're a fast reader! I'm glad you finished it though and posted. I was wondering what you decided. It was such a strange ending - unfair to the reader to just check out at the end a..."

I don't plan to read it either. I felt the first book was a total waste of time.

message 27: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
I'm currently reading this one. I was lucky to get Montanamarynotmartha's copy here through Goodreads bookswap. Thank you Montanamarynotmartha!

I'm not quite half way done. I'm in the middle, back in history section now. I just skimmed through the posts here since it looks like some discuss the ending. I'll be back to read what everyone thought once I've finished. The book is interesting, though not quite what I was expecting.