Reading the Chunksters discussion

Anna Karenina
This topic is about Anna Karenina
Archived 2010 Group Reads > Anna Karenina - Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristi (last edited Jun 03, 2010 07:12PM) (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Ok, so according to my calculations if we read 6 chapters per week we should finish in just over 36 weeks as there are 216 chapters. With 41 weeks left in the year this put us finishing before Christmas, which is always a busy time.

Book read Info:

Begin: March 21, 2010
Read: 6 Chapters per week
Finish: 36 weeks

Chapter Schedule:

Week 1: Part 1, Ch 1-6
Week 2: Ch 7-12
Week 3: Ch 13-18
Week 4: Ch 19-24
Week 5: Ch 25-30
Week 6 Part 1, Ch 31-34 & Part 2, Ch 1-2
Week 7: Ch 3-8
Week 8: Ch 9-14
Week 9: Ch15-20
Week 10: Ch 21-26
Week 11: Ch 27-32
Week 12: Part 2, Ch 33-35 & Part 3 Ch 1-3
Week 13: Ch 4-9
Week 14: Ch 10-15
Week 15: Ch 16-21
Week 16: Ch 22-27
Week 17: Ch 28-32
Week 18: Part 4, Ch 1-6
Week 19: Ch 7- 12
Week 20: Ch 13-18
Week 21: Ch 19-23
Week 22: Part 5, Ch 1-6
Week 23: Ch 7-12
Week 24: Ch 13-18
Week 25: Ch 19-24
Week 26: Ch 25-30
Week 27: Part 5, Ch 31-33 & Part 6 Ch 1-3
Week 28: Ch 4-9
Week 29: Ch 10-15
Week 30: Ch 16-21
Week 31: Ch 22-27
Week 32: Ch 28-32
Week 33: Part 7, Ch 1-6
Week 34: Ch 7-12
Week 35: Ch 13-18

Happy Reading everyone!!

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) Im cool with it. When are we starting cause now I have to find my copy.

message 3: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Sunday if that works for everyone.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) Sunday is good for me. I will read the 6 Chapters and let you know my thoughts on Monday.

message 5: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) me too...I am really looking fowar to reading this book! My coworker said it was one of her favorite books, even thought it is so huge. That was the only reason I bought it! I love good book recomendations!

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) Me too. I like to read alot of fluff type books but once a year i try to throw in a classic so atleast i can say i am well read lol.

message 7: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda (mslinda8393) This also works for me. Sunday it is.

Kim-Lost-In-A-Book I'll give it a shot. Need to find a copy of the book by Sunday lol

message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) Found mine tonight. Didnt realize it was 117 pages so I may not get to it all this weekend. But we said 6 chapters a week right?

Kim-Lost-In-A-Book I got my copy tonight as well.

message 11: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Yep...6 chapters per week. You will all have to let me know if it's too much, I only did the math...We can all decide if it is too much and push it out a bit. Not a problem. This is supposed to be fun after all!

message 12: by LynnB (last edited Mar 19, 2010 10:43PM) (new) - added it

LynnB Just went to check my TBR pile and there it was! -- I didn't realize I already owned it!! (That's how bad the pile is.)This copy has 870 pages. I will try to start with you all, but finishing David Copperfield is going to be my priority for at least a week.

message 13: by Wendy T (last edited Mar 20, 2010 05:46AM) (new) - added it

Wendy T The first 6 chapters in by book would be at page 45, is that about right with everyone else?. Total pages of the book is 817 pages.

I'm just a little confused because Dawn said it would be 117 pages in her book.

Completion of part one in my book is 117 pages.

Just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Kim-Lost-In-A-Book My copy has 923 pages, the end of chapter six is on page 26. This copy also has a reading group guide in the back.

I read chapter one last night.

message 15: by LynnB (new) - added it

LynnB Each Chapter seems to be very short and the Parts seem to be about 125 pages each (+/-). Kristi asked if 6 chapters were too much, but (just a suggestion) although I really like having a short read, since these are so short, what about 10 chapters a week instead?? In my book that's just 42 pages. Just an idea, Kristi -- I'm also fine with the 6 chapters!

message 16: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda (mslinda8393) Wendy T wrote: "The first 6 chapters in by book would be at page 45, is that about right with everyone else?. Total pages of the book is 817 pages.

I'm just a little confused because Dawn said it would be 117 p..."

That sounds like my edition, also.

message 17: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Ok...so I guess we need to figure out what type of edition everyone has...Abridged or unabridged.

I have an unabridged version. There are 976 pages and my chapter 6 ends on pg 29. Based on that, it would seem that Kim, Lynn, Linda, & Wendy all have unabridged editions. Dawn, How many pages do you have in your first 6 chapters? it seems like everyone has about 30...My part II starts on page 138...was this what you meant?

If 6 chapters seems like a pretty easy challenge I am totally open to upping it to 10 chapters. The do seem pretty short. Chime in with your opinions!

Kim-Lost-In-A-Book Since the chapters are so short, I'm ok with upping it to 10 chapters a week for this book. I can easily read 2 chapters a day and still have time for my other reads as well. I'm also ok with keeping it at 6 chapters a week, I'll go with the majority vote.

message 19: by Wendy T (new) - added it

Wendy T I'm also okay with upping to 10 chapters a week.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Can you edit the first post and put the exact start date? I just don't see that, thanks!

message 21: by Wendy T (new) - added it

Wendy T Kenjii, I think Sunday,March 21, is the start date.

Andrea I already the book so I was just going to follow along, but I may think about it and read it again if my next class isn't too heavy. Would that be okay with everyone?

message 23: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) THat sounds good Andrea, jump in whenever you want to.

Andrea I ended up downloading the book and I'm going to try to keep up. I really liked the book and I think this is worth reading again!

message 25: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Yay Andrea, Comment when you can, I know your life is really busy and I'm glad you are going to try to read with us!

message 26: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) All right, since this is the day that we are starting I will clarify the Schedule.

I put up polls for how many chapters everyone would like to read and what edition everyone has, and it look like everyone has an unabridged edition and more people would like to read 6 chapters than 10, sooo...I guess that's what we will stick with. If it turns out to be too easy, we can re-evaluate after awhile. I put the info here, and also edited the First entry in this thread. Happy reading everyone!!

Book read Info:

Begin: March 21, 2010
Read: 6 Chapters per week
Finish: 36 weeks

Kim-Lost-In-A-Book Awesome, thanks Kristi. I've read 4 chapters so far.

message 28: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) To Kristi and the rest of the Group.

I am sorry if I confused everyone but I didnt realize the chapters went like this in the book. I assumed we were splitting it into parts. But I like the idea of only 6-10 per week. It is a huge book and even though I seem to like it only having read 5 pages of it. It's really not my style of book so the less the better. My copy is 836 pages. I was away this weekend sorry for the delay in posts

message 29: by Laurie (last edited Mar 23, 2010 06:39AM) (new)

Laurie (ardelia27) I purchased the Oprah copy of this for my Reader last night and I am looking forward to getting started as soon as I finish my current read (yes, I am still reading Covet, Kristi, LOL)!

message 30: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Dawn...no worries, I agree that small chunks of this book make it much more readable!

Laurie...I hope you are liking Covet and can't wait till you can join us in Anna!

message 31: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (ardelia27) Thanks Kristi! Covet has finally picked up and I only have about 150 pages left to read. I am hoping to finish tonight and begin the first scheduled chunk of Anna. :)

message 32: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) the last 150 pgs are sooo good. Let me know what you think...totally twistey!

message 33: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (ardelia27) I just posted my thoughts on our thread. I still have a bit to go but the pace is definitely moving now!

message 34: by LynnB (new) - added it

LynnB I thought that 6 chapters would be way too little to read each week because the chapters are too short. But I am finding that I like just reading that short bit, commenting on it and going on to all the other books I want to read. It's actually working out well.

message 35: by Wendy T (new) - added it

Wendy T I agree Lynn.

message 36: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (ardelia27) Agreed Lynn & Wendy T! I like that this last-minute Laurie can fit 6 chapters into my schedule during a single afternoon. I am planning on reading the first six (and possibly 12) tonight so I can join in the discussions ASAP!

message 37: by LynnB (new) - added it

LynnB Kristi, Are you going to be setting up a week 2 discussion line? And, just for my info, are our "weeks" going to be weekend to weekend or what (more or less) is our week consisting of -- so I can aim my reading to fit the "week"? Thanks!

message 38: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I assumed the weeks would start Sunday and end Saturday. I'm setting up the Week 2 Thread riiiight now...lol. Sorry for the delay.

message 39: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (ardelia27) That sounds like a good schedule to me, Kristi! I can't wait to finish the next six chapters and post under the week 2 thread. I am loving this idea of small chunks to read a monster book!

message 40: by LynnB (new) - added it

LynnB Kristi wrote: "I assumed the weeks would start Sunday and end Saturday. I'm setting up the Week 2 Thread riiiight now...lol. Sorry for the delay."

Thanks Kristi! And thanks for setting this group up - I'm finding reading it a week at a time is really a nice, relaxed way to do it -- and this way I don't get burned out on the length at all.

message 41: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) How's everyone doing with Anna?? Keeping up with the chapters? Let me know if you need a "Catch Up" week...

message 42: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (ardelia27) Ack! I got totally sidetracked by library due dates! I am WAY behind! I am going to have to take some time this next week and totally catch up. It shouldn't be too hard because the story was interesting when I left off!

message 43: by Wendy T (new) - added it

Wendy T I'm also behind, and to get to this book.

message 44: by Kristi (last edited Jun 04, 2010 12:15AM) (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) UPDATE!

I added a Chapter Schedule for Anna...Here it is:

Chapter Schedule:

Week 1: Part 1, Ch 1-6
Week 2: Ch 7-12
Week 3: Ch 13-18
Week 4: Ch 19-24
Week 5: Ch 25-30
Week 6 Part 1, Ch 31-34 & Part 2, Ch 1-2
Week 7: Ch 3-8
Week 8: Ch 9-14
Week 9: Ch15-20
Week 10: Ch 21-26

Week 11: Ch 27-32 <~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~This Week
Week 12: Part 2, Ch 33-35 & Part 3 Ch 1-3
Week 13: Ch 4-9
Week 14: Ch 10-15
Week 15: Ch 16-21
Week 16: Ch 22-27
Week 17: Ch 28-32
Week 18: Part 4, Ch 1-6
Week 19: Ch 7- 12
Week 20: Ch 13-18
Week 21: Ch 19-23
Week 22: Part 5, Ch 1-6
Week 23: Ch 7-12
Week 24: Ch 13-18
Week 25: Ch 19-24
Week 26: Ch 25-30
Week 27: Part 5, Ch 31-33 & Part 6 Ch 1-3
Week 28: Ch 4-9
Week 29: Ch 10-15
Week 30: Ch 16-21
Week 31: Ch 22-27
Week 32: Ch 28-32
Week 33: Part 7, Ch 1-6
Week 34: Ch 7-12
Week 35: Ch 13-18

On some of the Parts I made the final week only 5 chapters of reading so that we could start fresh with the next Part, others there were 3 chapters left over at the end and I wasn't sure if you would like to add one extra chapter to the 3 previous weeks so we could start the next Part fresh, or just leave it as is. So I left it. If you think that we should start each Part fresh, let me know ad I will update the Schedule

message 45: by LynnB (new) - added it

LynnB The book is going much smoother now and, because the chapters are all so short, it seems that we could lengthen the reads a bit. I suggest from this point on we make it 10-11 chapters a week. It would be:

Part 5, ch. 1-11; ch. 12-22; ch. 23-33
Part 6, ch. 1-11; ch. 12-22; ch. 23-32
Part 7, ch. 1-10; ch. 11-20; ch. 21-31
Part 8 ch. 1-10; ch. 11-19

Unless I hear an outcry from everyone, that's what I'm going to be doing from here on out. That's 11 more weeks instead of 14 weeks ... The book should be finished late October/early November at that rate, so we'd be done before the holidays instead of in the middle of them!

message 46: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) That's ok with me, if everyone else likes the idea...

message 47: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (jeninseattle) | 140 comments Lynn- some of the chapters in part 5 get a bit longer, and, at least for me, seem to slow down. They are a lot more like the chapters where Levin spent 20 pages talking about farming.

message 48: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) jen, would you like to keep the 6 ch per week schedule?

message 49: by LynnB (new) - added it

LynnB I'm okay with either length, just waiting to hear from Jen and anyone else about this. My main motivation for suggesting it was to get done before Thanksgiving, but it's okay if we're not.

message 50: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (jeninseattle) | 140 comments I can cope with whatever, I was just throwing out that they get a little longer, and possibly a bit more boring. :-)

Lynn - can you remind me where we should be this week?

« previous 1