We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Off Topic (Non-Kleypas Chat) > Books as Rewards

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments I feel like I've earned a trip to the bookstore, even though I went to B&N last weekend. I made it through another week, and I did some chores at home, did my exercises, and ate at home instead of takeout most of the week. Also, I'm going to do my taxes (and will probably have to work at home a little). Sooo...I am going to reward myself with a trip to Half Price Books. Do you use books or buying them as a reward for being a good girl?

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie (floresji) | 21 comments I wish I did then maybe I would save money. I buy books if I am good girl or not. LOL!!!

message 3: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I buy books as rewards! Danielle, also check out thriftbooks.com. They have free shipping.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I always reward myself...LOL Books or dolls(i collect them)...books are alot less expensive then dolls tho!

message 5: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments oh man.. i feel horrible! I'm like Julie lately, I buy all the time no matter what. I've been a good girl, I'm tired, I'm hungry, I had a bad day, I started my period, it's my bday...name it I use it as an excuse to buy books. I've been soooooooooooo bad about it lately that I've probably bought books ever week for the past two - three months.

But reading your post Danielle, and I really feel like I need to exert some self control.

It's really become a problem. BUT in my defense...I lost a lot of books, so I have felt the need to make up for lost time....

Dhestiny - help! Maybe we can use our challenges as a reward system? I think I've seen other groups doing this...maybe if we do two challenges we get to buy one book or something?? I dont know. I am looking for a way for you guys to police me!! :-) I initially thought - yay- these book challenges will make me attack my tbr list. But what I've done is hurried and bought books off my wish list to make them fit into the challenges

In desperate need of a pocketbook reality check....

Bekah

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Mar 19, 2010 10:16AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments LOL, Bekah and Julie. I do that sometimes, too. We have to watch money right now since someone in the household got laid off, so I'm trying to be better about spending. I bought an indecent amount of books when I was working out of town last year. So I'm a bad girl, too.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Dhestiny, I'll check out thriftbooks. Thanks.

Heidi, I used to collect
Barbies. I've had to curtail that due to space issues. It was them or books. :)

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments I think each day is hard. We need some kind of reward, right.

Do you reward yourself by having a reading day? Doing nothing productive all day other than reading?

message 9: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments I do that almost every other weekend Danielle! I'm starting to see how many bad habbits I have with this here thread!

:-)

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie (floresji) | 21 comments I have alot of those days. Sometimes laundry get's pretty high and I order take out. I feel I work hard all through the week that there are times I feel I deserve it.

message 11: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Bekah, get a list of all libraries within your driving range and then visit their Friends of the Libray stores. I get great books for about 50cents each! Recently I got several books for .33 cents each!!!

I'll try to think of a way to have a reward system. What if you give yourself a .25 cent credit for each book you read in a challenge. Or, .50 cents or a dollar, whatever you can afford? And only for books you finish.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments I don't mean to make you feel bad, girls. I have some real issues with motivation and self-control, at times.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie (floresji) | 21 comments Danielle, I don't feel bad. I am just glad that there are other's out there like me with book buying addictions.LOL! :)

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Cool!

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 19, 2010 10:58AM) (new)

When I said I always reward myself, I mean, i buy all the time, I don't wait, if I want it, I get it! Whether I've been good or bad!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I buy book when ever I feel like it but I feel like thats the only suppose bad habbit I have which I don't think it's a bad habbit so there you go (LOL)

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments If you can afford it, I say go for it. When I have more money, I buy more books.

message 18: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I don't mean to make you feel bad, girls. I have some real issues with motivation and self-control, at times."

Oh, it's not you!!

It's clearly me!!!!! :-)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

LOLOLOLOLOL love it thank God my husband doesn't mind my bookaholsim (LOL)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Thats right, we could be addicted to worse things!

message 21: by Julianna (last edited Mar 19, 2010 06:01PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 380 comments I don't really use book buying as a reward. I tend to buy whenever I feel like it. I almost always buy used though, so I'm not spending a ton of money. Although I even cut back on that last year. I used to shop the library sale every week, but storage space and budgeting became an issue, so I'm now only looking about once a month and doing the occasion book shopping trip elsewhere.

I do use reading in general as a reward for myself though. When the kids are in school I try to stick to a schedule every day. I do a lot of the mandatory stuff like housework in the morning and then read in the early afternoon before I have to pick them up. Then I'll do more work in the late afternoon/early evening and read again in between the kids' bedtime and my own. I also occasionally give myself an entire day off to read or do whatever I want to do as a reward for sticking to my schedule for a long period of time.

My hubby also a ordered a book off my wishlist for me about six months ago for sticking to my schedule. I have a hard time with that, so it was nice that he noticed and cared enough to give me an incentive to keep it up. I'm still waiting for another book reward though, so either I've been a bad girl lately or he's been too busy to notice.:-(

message 22: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Glover | 576 comments I buy books all the time. I have a B&N membership and when I inquired as to my savings for the previous year, it was $900 something odd dollars. I'm afraid to even TRY to figure out how much I spent if I SAVED that much.

message 23: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 64 comments Books are my thing. I'm over jewelry, shoes, clothing, and books are the only thing I really buy for myself. I do spend money on new books every month, but I justify that because I do not do any other personal shopping. Sounds reasonable, right?

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Beverly, I use a similar rationale. :)

message 25: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I don't buy clothes either, don't go to movies or spend it on anything fancy for myself - it's books all the way.

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) Unfortunately, I do buy clothes and expensive perfumes along with books:( My bank account is obviously suffering greatly, but I make it a rule to pay out the total amount of my credit card monthly, so as not to start accumulating.

message 27: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Aug 03, 2010 10:29PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Ahhhhh, you're well disciplined while stimulating the economy.

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) Yes, as you can see Dhestiny, I'm so good that I actually try to diverse and help more than one professional category:)

message 29: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I sit in awe of your generosity and thoughtfulness. How would you feel about stimulating my economy? I take PayPal. LOL

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) LOL, thanks Dhestiny! I do feel like a good samaritan sometimes:)
And as you can see, I buy almost anything. I'm sure you'll find something to sell me when you need to:)

message 31: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments If I'm flush, I will also buy DVDs and music. But my main passion is buying books. I don't buy clothes very much, just a few times a year. My job is dirty, so I don't wear clothes that I want to keep looking nice. I'm pretty casual, so I don't dress up much. My wardrobe fits my lifestyle. Although I like fashion, I wouldn't call myself a fashionista at all. I'm a bookinista!. :)

message 32: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Oh, there ya go, Danielle! You're name should be Lady Danielle "Bookinista" LOL

message 33: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Fani, I have nothing to sell except perhaps a couple of crazy Bichon Frise dogs that drive me crazy. One is, I'm sure of it, mentally handicapped - seriously - and the other is spoiled rotten! She wants to be carried everywhere, even to bed. If she's ready to go to sleep and we're not, she sits and whines at us until someone picks her up and carries her to her bed. LOL I have my daughter to thank for spoiling her that way.

message 34: by new_user (new)

new_user Books as rewards, I've definitely used them, LOL.

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Fani, I have nothing to sell except perhaps a couple of crazy Bichon Frise dogs that drive me crazy. One is, I'm sure of it, mentally handicapped - seriously - and the other is spoiled rotten! She ..."

They're lucky dogs to have you as an owner it seems Dhestiny:)

message 36: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Awww, thanks Fani. I try to be good to my pets. They depend on us for everything, ya know?

message 37: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Oh, there ya go, Danielle! You're name should be Lady Danielle "Bookinista" LOL"

:)

message 38: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Aug 05, 2010 05:49AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments I frequently try to give away my pain in the arse, I mean, adorable and cute, cat Grace.

message 39: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Glover | 576 comments I rewarded myself last week because I brought my lunch and didn't eat out! :-)

message 40: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments There you go! I would do that. Save money for more books!

message 41: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I told my kids they could only eat 1x daily, 2x on Sunday! Does that count towards saving $$$ for more books??

message 42: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Glover | 576 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I told my kids they could only eat 1x daily, 2x on Sunday! Does that count towards saving $$$ for more books??"

Bahahahaha! Of course! I told mine that I did NOT have to feed them on Tuesdays. That TOTALLY saves money! LOL!

message 43: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Dang! Wish I had thought of that, Mandy. And why does my daughter think she needs new undies? No one can see them, right? That's good for another $20

message 44: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Glover | 576 comments Shoot yeah Dhestiny!! They don't need shoes right now either, only flip flops. Too hot for tennises and socks!! There goes another $100 at least (i have THREE daughters)!

I'm sure if we thought about it, we could come up with lots more stuff that the kids don't need that would save us money for books!! LOL!!

message 45: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Pony tail holders are cheaper than hair cuts... and my son keeps saying he wants longer hair... CHA-CHING!

message 46: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Glover | 576 comments Woot! Woot!! LMBO!!

Baking soda instead of toothpaste?? LOL!!

message 47: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments YES!!!!!!!!!

Corn cobs instead of toilet paper... nevermind - that's a bit extreme - not to mention painful... though it'd be their arse, not mine....

message 48: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments *(shaking head)*

message 49: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "*(shaking head)*"

Come on now, you still love us!

message 50: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Glover | 576 comments LOL!! They do make TP that feels like a corn cob though. I'm thinking bologna instead of ham or turkey. Hmmmm . . . .what else? What else? Lol!

« previous 1