What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Terrible Thing that Happened at Our House
SOLVED: Children's/YA > Children's Book about a Stay At Home Mom Who Goes Back to Work [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ruby (rubina310) | 20 comments I read this book as a child, but I remember it being about a child whose mom used to stay at home, but then she goes back to work as a teacher. It deals with the kid's experience of that and the changes made to the household (everyone helps out, etc.). I think it was a children's hard cover and had drawings in pencil I think. Don't remember anything else about it other than that I liked the illustrations and liked the book a lot as a child.

Ruby (rubina310) | 20 comments Probably read the book around 1989-1991.

message 3: by Christy (new)

Christy | 41 comments I remember this; at first I thought it was part of the Free to Be...You and Me anthology but a perusal of the table of contents indicates otherwise. I remember the colors of the drawings were very muted; I also remember things being quite a mess until everyone began to help. I hope someone finds it, because I, too, want to know.

Ruby (rubina310) | 20 comments Yes! I think they were drawings in pencil but I remember there being a lot of detail and they were interesting to look at.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Ruby, Do you think that the Free to Be book is the book? There were a few Free to Be books.

Ruby (rubina310) | 20 comments No, I don't think this was one of the stories from Free to Be You and Me, although I am not 100% sure. This book was a standalone book and featured drawings in pencil (I think). It followed the plot of one young boy/girl dealing with his/her mom going back to work as a teacher. It sort of follows how the household falls apart when she went back to work and then how everyone sort of started to pitch in around the house in order to get everything done that she used to do on her own.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Okay. Hopefully, someone will find your book. It's highly likely to eventually happen.

message 8: by Rnp2006 (new)

Rnp2006 | 2 comments I'm trying to figure out the title too! I just saw it in a thrift store. It's something like "A bad bad thing happened" or something like that.

message 10: by Ruby (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ruby (rubina310) | 20 comments YES!!! THIS IS IT!!!! Thank you thank you!!! I never forgot this book!