Horror Aficionados discussion

Authors > Scott Nicholson

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Gifford (paulsgifford) | 58 comments One of my favorite authors....Any other fans of his here?

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 28 comments I've been a fan of Scott's for a long time. And he gave me my very first cover quote (for Ghost Road Blues). Now it's a genuine pleasure to number him among my friends.

Great writer, great guy.

message 3: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Gifford (paulsgifford) | 58 comments And the weekend we all had together in Nashville, at HyperiCon, was a total blast!

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 28 comments Yea, Paul..that was crazy.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments Ooh! Ooh! Me! Me! I've been waiting and waiting for a new SN book... I really liked They Hunger.

message 6: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 236 comments I just read The Red Church and really liked it a lot. He's got a unique style of writing and I can't wait to read more of his books. I like how he has simplistic titles like Bentley Little too.

message 7: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh (kurtreichenbaugh) | 122 comments I thought The Harvest was a blast. Sort of a cool blend of Sci-Fi and Horror drive-in for prose. I've got The Manor on my to-be-read shelf.

message 8: by Joel (new)

Joel (joelarnold) | 23 comments Count me as a fan. I've read The Red Church and The Harvest - enjoyed them both!

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) hmm got a couple of his books sitting on my shelf guess i better read em, eh?

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 177 comments The Red Church is very good. Skull Ring, sadly, I thought was awful. I'd still read another -- it sounds like The Harvest is promising.

message 11: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 236 comments I'm reading his short story collection called Ashes now. I'm on the fifth story now and absolutely loved the previous four. He's a true horror author, not one of the ones who think that shocking people is scary. Once I finish this, I'm reading Drummer Boy. It sounds very interesting.

message 12: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Hey, Amazon has some Nicholson books for $.99. I've been wanting to read him for a while but lately I haven't been too impressed with the horror I've read. Since it looks like so many here enjoyed many of his books, guess I'll give him a try. If any of you feel like it, a ranking of his books would be most appreciated. :-)

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments T, you can read my reviews ;o)

message 14: by Bandit (last edited Nov 29, 2010 07:33AM) (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments I've read a few books of his, I'm yet to be impressed with his work. I kept reading good things about him, so I tried book after book, but they were never amazing, just ok, though the appalachian setting is pretty good.

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments Tressa hasn't read him yet.

I like him. Most of his books have an Appalachian setting, which I like.

message 16: by Brainycat (new)

Brainycat | 409 comments Thanks for the headsup, Tressa. Based on Amy's review I picked up a copy of The Red Church - that looks like the kind of story I like to read.

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments Ooh! The pressure! I hope you like it!

message 18: by Brainycat (new)

Brainycat | 409 comments Don't worry Amy, even if I don't like it I won't be asking you for a refund :)

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) | 426 comments ::phew::

They Hunger was my favorite, BTW ;o)
You've got the wilderness (Appalachian, of course), FBI agents on the chase for a bad guy, a family on vacation, a lost couple, some wacky water-rafting dudes, and hungry vampires!

message 20: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 236 comments I just read As I Die Lying by Nicholson and again was very impressed. I've never read anything like it before, that's for sure.

message 21: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Amy, I will read your reviews. Thanks for the reminder. Looking at his bibliography, I see that I did read The Farm and gave it three stars. It was well written enough for me to remember some of it (once I remembered I read it, of course). I do remember that he did well setting up his characters and the atmosphere of the novel.

I was looking at The Red Church, too, Brainy. I'll probably buy that one, They Hunger, and maybe As I Die Lying.

Thanks!

message 22: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 244 comments I have just had my first exposure to Scott's writing with "The Red Church" but I have to admit that I am simply floored. Since this was his first book, I can't wait to read more of his and see how he's grown from there - if that is even possible.

I honestly think Scott Nicholson is the better Stephen King! I am not kidding. They both have a similar style and the way they have with words is equally impressive. But Scott does it all without the endless rambling of a Stephen King. He stays on target and does not stray into Nirvana for 5000 words in every chapter.

His characters are every bit as deep and rich, and his description of scenery has every bit as much detail and imaginative language.

I'm sold! To me, Scott Nicholson should be the one raking in the gazillion dollar deals...

message 23: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments Just threw a couple of these in my wishlist on Amazon. I'm going to go with Red Church first (due to price, thanks Tressa), and second up will probably be Drummer Boy (due to rave reviews, and a Civil War reenactment setting).

message 24: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I put Red Church aside to read Out, but am itching to get back to it because it's good. I'm also looking forward to Drummer Boy. Seems creepy.

message 25: by Adam (new)

Adam Wilson | 236 comments I liked Drummer Boy quite a lot, and As I Die Lying. I thought that book was beyond brilliant.

message 26: by Blaise (new)

Blaise (blaiseh) | 1 comments Ive mostly read Nicholson's short story anthologies, (Flowers, Ashes, Curtains, and Murdermouth) but I did just finish As I Die Lying and loved it. He's definitely my favorite author.

I'm really looking forward to The Red Church

message 27: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 177 comments I'm dipping in and out of Ashes on my Kindle -- wonderful stories so far.

message 28: by Todd (new)

Todd Russell (toddrussell) | 118 comments Help, please from Nicholson fans.

I've got a bunch of Scott's books on my Kindle but not sure which one to read first. It looks like from this thread that The Red Church is getting the most nods, so I've queued that up. I also have As I Die Lying high in the queue.

Other good reads by him HA members recommend?

message 29: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Todd wrote: "Help, please from Nicholson fans.

I've got a bunch of Scott's books on my Kindle but not sure which one to read first. It looks like from this thread that The Red Church is getting the most nods,..."

Creative Spirit

message 30: by Todd (new)

Todd Russell (toddrussell) | 118 comments Thanks, Jon. what did you like about that one? Got a non-spoiler review?

message 31: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Todd wrote: "Thanks, Jon. what did you like about that one? Got a non-spoiler review?"

I'm a diehard ghost story fan, Todd, and Creative Spirit is a good, old fashioned haunted house novel. Atmospheric and creepy.
It was originally released as The Manor, the current version has been updated by the author.

message 32: by Scott (new)

Scott Nicholson (scottnicholson) | 97 comments Hey, thanks, everyone! I don't want to feed my ego, but I am sure happy to have readers. It's especially cool for me since this is the 10th anniversary of the publication of The Red Church and my writing career. I appreciate all the reviews and for telling your friends--because the stories are nothing until you bring them to life.

Scott

message 33: by Todd (new)

Todd Russell (toddrussell) | 118 comments Thank you, Jon :) Here's the reading order I have so far:

1. The Red Church.
2. Creative Spirit.
3. As I Lie Dying.

message 34: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 332 comments Hi,

Really enjoyed "The Red Church", Scott and so I started looking further into your bibliography.

Noticed a copy of "The Home" which sounds like my next read. But, have you seen the price a third party dealer is commanding for this book on ABE.... over $3000.00 ?
Did "The Home" have a very limited run? (I don't quite understand how some dealers attempt this?) In any event, looking forward to getting to know your bibliography better in the future.

message 35: by Tim (new)

Tim (tim_taylor) | 55 comments I've enjoyed Scott's books and have many more waiting on my TBR pile. The Red Church and They Hunger were both good. If you like ghost stories, Speed Dating With the Dead was very enjoyable. And Meat Camp is a fun, short and nasty (in a good way) story.

message 36: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (alissamerritt) | 140 comments I've read quite a few of Scott's and consider him an online friend. He's very talented. I haven't read a book of his I don't love.