Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

55 views
How do you decide what to read next?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 56 comments This is always really hard for me: moving from one series to starting another one.

Do you have a "book plan"? Or do you randomally pick up whatever looks good? If you know you're going to get involved in a long series, do you get some stand alone books or shorter series out of the way first?

I tend to plan a few books ahead. I hate the feeling of "there's nothing to read."


Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) I listen to Heidi and Peep on here. My TBR list will never get shorter because of those two. ;)

I look at other members' profiles, look and their reviews to see if they have similar tastes as mine, and then choose a book that they rated highly. This website has been a lifesaver in helping me choose the next book. My list is so long now that I'll never get through it.


Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Good topic Amanda - I am struggling this myself. I actually just went through and typed out a list of my next 10 books to read and 10 audio books to listen to; however, looking through the threads on this group and my mystery group I keep adding books to my list! I am usually organized, but need to get a handle on my list! Anyway, I try to read books that are recommended first, so I can tell the person if I liked it and we can share our thoughts while they are still fresh in our heads. Other than that, I go by the most highly rated book.


message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I usually just go with what sounds good at the time. Unless I've just gotten a bunch of new ones in which has happened a lot lately with books I ordered with Christmas gift cards just now being released!


message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 56 comments I agree that this site has been the BEST thing for me as a reader. I was getting kind of bored with reading, because I never knew what to read next. I was stuck in a rut with just a few favorite authors. Thanks to members on this site, I've read tons of different authors and discovered different genres I wouldn't have picked up before.

Seeing friends reviews is helpful, too. I had never heard of The Iron King, until I saw it on someone's "to read" list.

I agree - I'll never run out of books now. I'm just a big OCD and I like to know what I'll be reading. I like having a plan, so that's why I started this thread. I knew starting The Iron King that I'd start Hush, Hush next.

I love series! I'll read them the whole way through, un-broken.


Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Amanda -I listen to audiobooks too (one in my car, one in my bathroom while I get ready, and one on my mp3 player for when I walk). So I have to keep track of not only what I am going to read next, but what I want to listen to on 3 more lists! Lord help me.


Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) For those of you who read (or listen) to more than one book at a time, how do you keep them straight?


Peep (Pop! Pop!) Shannen wrote: "I listen to Heidi and Peep on here. My TBR list will never get shorter because of those two. ;)

I look at other members' profiles, look and their reviews to see if they have similar tastes as m..."


*blush* and I didn't even prepare a speech! You did recommend a few excellent books to me - and it was even a series!

I pretty much do the same thing. I almost never pick a book on my own, I heavily rely on recommendations. Goodreads has been awesome, I'm so glad I found this site. I used to feel bad for those poeple who spend all day on Facebook, but I think I spend just as much time on Goodreads!


message 9: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Shannen wrote: "For those of you who read (or listen) to more than one book at a time, how do you keep them straight?"

I always have at least 2 going at a time. Right now I'm reading 3. Usually they're different genres, tho right now I'm reading 2 mysteries and 1 YA UF. Having them be different genres definitely helps.


message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 56 comments Wow! I can't read more than one at a time. I'm jealous!


message 11: by Chachic (new)

Chachic I have to agree with everyone who said that Goodreads is great for book recs! I love that you can become a fan of your favorite authors and see how they rate the books that you're interested in. Like the others mentioned, I rely heavily on recommendations as well. I have a couple of book bloggers that I follow and I trust their tastes when I know that they enjoy the same kind of books that I do. I also have book communities over at Livejournal that give awesome book recs.


Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Ditto on Goodreads being great for recommendations. Like Peep said - I am on here more than Facebook. Unfortunately it is also a double edge sword because I have added way more books than I can read to my tbr pile. Shannen - I do not read more than one book at a time - I have to finish one before I start another, but I do listen to 2-3 on audio books at a time. I have never had a problem keeping track of what is going on because I listen to them everyday - I think if I only listened every once in awhile it would be more difficult.


message 13: by Jo (new)

Jo | 16 comments I pick books pretty randomly, depending on what kind of mood I'm in. I've become addicted to this site because of the tbr option. My list is getting rediculous, but it's great when I'm trying to pick something :P

This is the first group that I've joined, and I get the feeling my tbr list is going to be even worse now!


message 14: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Mar 18, 2010 12:39PM) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Welcome to the group Joanna! Lot's of great folks, plenty of sarcasm, and lot's of book talk.

Speaking of a growing TBR pile, I just discovered gallies and it made my tbr pile jump up by eight books. Most of my tbr pile is written on paper because I always carry it around with me, though some I add here on the site.


message 15: by Traci (new)

Traci I use Goodreads most often, but I also like to just go to Barnes and Noble and peruse. I'll admit, I'm a cover-judger. I could spend hours just drifting through the aisles reading random synopses and coming out with a ridiculous amount of new books I haven't heard of. I love the staff recommendation shelf as well. But just as many of you say, I love getting recommendations from others.

I tend to plan out which book I'll read next, but sometimes that doesn't work because I'll end up buying a random new book first and decide that I haaave to read that one. I received about 20 books for Christmas and I still have 9 left because I just keep buying new ones! -_- It's an issue.

I'm a one book at a time kind of person as well. I get too immersed in the story and I don't want to get pulled out by starting another one..


message 16: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I currently have four going right now: 1 audiobook (which I can never listen to because of the kids!), 1 regular, and 2 online. Though the regular book I am only about 1 chapter in.


Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Personally, I get a ton of recommendations from friends, goodreads forums, and I listen to a few podcasts that also give good recommendations. I highly recommend listening to Smartmouths Podcast (for mature audiences only). It's not a book podcast necessarily, but it's made by the same people who do a Harry Potter podcast and a Twilight podcast, so if you're into YA material they have some great recs. Actually this podcast is the reason I picked up the Hunger Games, and I fell in love instantly!

Another thing I like to do (because I HATE spoilers) is that if there is a book I have been wanting to read and I know it has ties to another book, I'll read that other book first. For example, I have heard great things about The Historian by Elizabeth Kostiva, but it has strong ties to Dracula (I've heard), so I'm reading that one first. The same is true with Christopher Moore's book The Fool. It's based on King Lear from the perspective of the Fool, so... I must read King Lear before I can even think about reading Moore's book (and I LOVE Christopher Moore with a passion). But that's just a suggestion if you hate spoilers as much as I do. I find it to be a very effective strategy, but I'm a little bit crazy when it comes to that stuff.


message 18: by Traci (new)

Traci Jennifer wrote: "I'm sorry to be stupid but what does UF mean?"

Not stupid at all. It means Urban Fantasy.. basically stories set in a city setting that contain supernatural elements. City of Bones is a perfect example.


message 19: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Mar 18, 2010 04:19PM) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I like covers too, though sometimes a beautiful cover is wasted on a bad story - I'm not naming names! If I come upon a book, and it's rated 4 stars or more on here, it's a book that I try to read asap. If it's less than that then it goes into my "when I get to it" pile. It's a very unreliable system, but old habits die hard.

I try to read only the first line or two in a synopsis because I prefer the element of surprise. Back in the day I used to read Harlequin romance and they would ALWAYS ruin the end on the back cover. So I just find out as little as possible. Like I said, old habits die hard.

If I like a book, I buy it, then donate it to my library (if they don't have a copy). And then I secretly regret it. Mourning my copy of The Help! (haven't heard that title in a while!)


message 20: by Chachic (new)

Chachic Heidi wrote: "Unfortunately it is also a double edge sword because I have added way more books than I can read to my tbr pile. "

I have to agree with what you said! I have a huge pile of TBR books. I don't even know when I'll be able to finish all of it, but I keep on adding more stuff because of the great reviews that I see.


message 21: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Peep wrote: "If I like a book, I buy it, then donate it to my library (if they don't have a copy). And then I secretly regret it. Mourning my copy of The Help! (haven't heard that title in a while!) ..."

I buy most everything I read and then turn them back around on eBay to get $$ to buy more books. And every now & again I regret selling one....like SHIVER. I can't believe I turned loose of that one!!


message 22: by Traci (new)

Traci aaahhh I can't sell mine! I love being able to put them on my bookshelf when I'm done.. and I have this habit of reorganizing it every couple of months. My boyfriend's mom got me a Nook for Christmas and while I love it, it also makes me sad because I really love having the actual book in my hands and putting it up on the shelf when I'm done :[

Same reason why I can't really go to libraries. (that and mine is ridiculously unorganized. basically separated into 'hardcover fiction' and 'paperback fiction'. I can't find anything ever!)


message 23: by Jo (new)

Jo | 16 comments I love buying books and keeping them around. I used to have a LOT of books, but my life has been pretty transient lately. I had to donate most of them to the library. I can't wait to get settled somewhere permentantly so I can start collecting again!

I also have problems with ebooks. I have a couple stored on my computer, but I never seem to get to them. There's something about actually holding a book that makes it so much better for me.


message 24: by Melodie (last edited Mar 19, 2010 07:18AM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I do keep some of my books, but they have to be really exceptional for me to do so. I used to have them everywhere and never got rid of any of them except for some paperbacks. A few years ago I realized I had to do something about it so started listing lots of them on eBay. I made some very nice profits with a lot of them. Now I pretty much automatically list them on eBay unless they really resonate with me for some reason......which is why I STILL can't believe I got rid of SHIVER!


message 25: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 56 comments I used to have a ton of books. I STILL have a ton of books, and that's the main reason I got a Kindle. Best purchase I've ever made. It's not a price saver for me, but a space saver. My personal space is very limited, so having an e-book reader is a wonderful space saver. I love it so much. I'd marry it if I could. (don't tell the boyfriend that...)

When I move this summer to a bigger house, I'm going to go through the boxes and boxes and boxes of packed books and see what I can part with to sell on eBay. The roommates will be sad the boxes will be gone (no more heavy boxes to build a fort with) but at least there will be some more space.

Melodie: did you like Shiver? I'm guessing so...but its a book I'd like to read soon.


Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Melodie - I am starting to wonder if you regret selling Shiver. Amanda - I am not into vampire or werewolf type books, but I did like Shiver and recommend it. As I said before, I get all my books from the library - I think it has made me read faster, because I know I have to return them; however, I did just purchase several of my favorites - The Help (points for me), Hunger Games/Catching Fire, and The Book Thief.


Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) I used to have a ton of paperbacks that I would trade in for more books. I would also lend them to people but never got them back. I bought a Kindle because I was running out of room and I was tired of not getting books back that I really loved. Like Amanda, I love my Kindle and wouldn't want to be without it. Reading on a Kindle is much different than reading on a computer. The screen on the Kindle is much more like a book than a computer. The only down side I have found is that you can't just flip through it to get to a certain scene.

I loved Shiver too. Will read it again before Linger comes out.


message 28: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I told hubby I wanted a Kindle and have been looking for good deals. People have been saying I should get a Sony reader because they could be cheaper but so far they are just as expensive as, or more expensive than the kindle. Not to mention that Amazon has the lowest prices on their books. Is there supposed to be a Kindle 3 anytime soon?


Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I am too cheap to buy books, but out of curiosity how much do eBooks normally cost? What do you do with them when you are done - delete them like on an ipod???


Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) I don't know anything about the Sony reader. The Kindle is what I went with because it was easy. You just click on a book and it's downloaded. There haven't been any rumblings about a Kindle 3 yet but it's inevitable. The books run about $5-10.


message 31: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Amanda wrote: "I used to have a ton of books. I STILL have a ton of books, and that's the main reason I got a Kindle. Best purchase I've ever made. It's not a price saver for me, but a space saver. My personal sp..."

Yes, I LOVED SHIVER!! I gave it a 10. It made me a cry and can't remember the last time a book did that to me.


message 32: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Heidi wrote: "I am too cheap to buy books, but out of curiosity how much do eBooks normally cost? What do you do with them when you are done - delete them like on an ipod???"

I have a bunch of friends with Kindles and yes, once you read them you delete them if you don't want to keep them. Amazon sells a lot of the new hardcover releases for $9.99 for the Kindle.


Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) Sorry, Heidi, I forgot to answer your question about deleting. I haven't deleted a single book. There is an archive feature but I haven't used it yet so can't tell you how it works.


message 34: by Amanda (last edited Mar 19, 2010 10:27AM) (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 56 comments Amazon doesn't really let you delete books. You can move them to the "archived" folder, though. So on my Kindle, I have two or three books on the Kindle memory, and then about 56 books "offline" in the archived folder. If at ANY time I want to re-read a book I moved into archived, I just turn on the wireless, go into my archived folder, and click it. The Kindle then downloads it to the homescreen of my Kindle.

Now you can store about 1500 books on the Kindle memory, but that'd be pagges and pages and pages to go through to find a book. So I just put it in archived if I've read it or if I don't plan to read it for a while.

Kindle books go anywhere from free to $9.99. Right now, I believe the max price for a Kindle book is $9.99, but I heard they might increase that price. I have free books, and new releases that I bought for $9.99, and books that I've bought for $4-$6 that have been out for a while. Samples are available for all books, I believe, and they are free!

Right now I think the Kindle 2 is $259? I paid $359 for mine, so the price has dropped significantly. I don't know about the Sony reader or the Nook, but the Kindle is perfect for me.

Note, I bought the Kindle 2 and not the Kindle DX. The DX was just too huge for me to be able to carry around in my purse. ::As I sit at work with it in front of me.::

Not too sure about a Kindle 3.


message 35: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 56 comments Shannen wrote: "Sorry, Heidi, I forgot to answer your question about deleting. I haven't deleted a single book. There is an archive feature but I haven't used it yet so can't tell you how it works."

To archive a book on the Kindle 2, scroll to the book on your home scree, click the little joystick to the left, and then click it to confirm "remove from device."

That will move it to the archived folder.


message 36: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Well, that's good about a Kindle 3 coming out. I was worried I'll buy it and the next model will come out. I saw the last big sale the had was in December for around $219, but that may have been refurbished and not new.

There are a TON of free books. I mean, a ton. Search Kindle forums on Google and look at their list, there is a guy on there who updates it regularly.

(I feel like a Kindle stalker when I don't even have one yet)

Question: Can you put library books on there, such as Overdrive or NetLibrary. I know gallies can go on there.


message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 56 comments Hmm not sure about that. Probably not...Kindle has its own format. You can now put PDF's on Kindle, though.


message 38: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Amanda wrote: "Amazon doesn't really let you delete books. You can move them to the "archived" folder, though. So on my Kindle, I have two or three books on the Kindle memory, and then about 56 books "offline" in..."

I understood from friends who have them that you could delete a book if you didn't want to keep it or it wasn't to your taste after all. They do offer lots of free books. I understand that they are probably going to have to charge more for some new books because some of the publishing companies are balking at the $9.99 price point. One in particular is whatever company it is that publishes Julia Spencer-Fleming. There was a period of several days a month or so ago where Amazon had their books unavailable.


message 39: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Mar 19, 2010 12:40PM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Thanks for all the answers about the kindle. Peep - I was also wondering about downloading them from my libraries overdrive and netlibrary accounts, because they both offer ebooks (I get all my mp3 audiobooks from them). I still think I would like to hold the actual book - but after my recent experiences with small print in paperbacks, it would be nice to change the print (font) size. But, I really like putting books on hold at the library and knowing things are waiting for me. I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy. Either that or Peep's wishy washyness is rubbing off on me.


message 40: by Laura Beth (new)

Laura Beth (tampabookworm) | 229 comments I read approx 4 books at the same time > one at work during lunch, one that I keep in the car, one that I read only when at the bookstore and one for at home.

They are usually all different genres.. one YA, one Chit Lit, etc.

I get ideas from here on GoodReads, Blogs, I belong to a book club on Facebook and I use Amazon to look at the books I love and the ones that they recommend. I mainly get my books from the library and I have different lists on their site so I can keep track of different series, challenges, etc.


message 41: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) LOL - read only at the bookstore!


message 42: by Laura Beth (new)

Laura Beth (tampabookworm) | 229 comments :-D I have so many on my TBR list that I refuse to walk around and look at more books... so I go in, pick up a book and read it while everyone else walks around. I am on chapter 27 of Hunger (Gone 2)

LOL


Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Laura - how is Gone 2?? I read Gone 1 last week and am putting off starting the second one as it was soooo long.


message 44: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) LOL. Laura, that is hilarious!

As for the Kindle - I looked around, and it looks like you could add Overdrive books to a Kindle with a custom script. I would compare it to getting audio cd's from the library and burning them. It's not what you're supposed to do, but I know I do and delete it when I'm through with it. If someone wants to get their library ebooks on their Kindle, then that seems the only route you can take (unless it's been updated and I didn't catch it). Apparently mps audiobooks from there work without a hack.


message 45: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments I know this thread is a little dead, but for laughs, the way I pick what's next to read is whatever has come available on my holds at the library. I check out six to ten books at a time and breeze through them in nothing flat, so what I get is what I get and I don't spend money on a book until I KNOW I love it. I have a whole two shelves dedicated to books I will buy in the near future and the distant future.


Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Becca - I have a ton of holds at the library too. Hey, have you given up on the Book Thief - you have been pretty quiet about it lately???


message 47: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments not giving up, just haven't found time to listen to it. Oh, wait, that's because I haven't done dishes for several days. I'm more than half way through it and still intrigues as to why everyone loved it, but really its like running through mud. Really slow with hints of brilliance here and there. I love Max's story, but there so much else that's been put in there that I'm having a hard time wading through it all.


Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Well, if you finish it and you still don't love it that is ok. Some books are just not for everyone. I do remember not totally getting into it until the last third of the book - then I made excuses up to listen to it.


message 49: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments I look forward to the moment.


Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Ha! Well at least finish it and then you can hate it all you want.


« previous 1
back to top