What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Out-of-print book about a childless woman looking to adopt

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Brown (anancybrown) | 4 comments When I was in fourth grade (I believe that was 1999) my teacher read us a book that was out-of-print. It was a blue hardcover book-I don't know if there was a dust jacket to it. From the look of it, I think it was about 200 pages long.

The book was about a woman who had wanted to have children very badly but was unable to. She went through some difficult trials in trying to adopt. Toward the end of the book she was able to adopt a beautiful baby girl. I remember the author specifically talked about the baby's eyes that resembled almonds in shape and in color. The woman fell in love with the baby, but then the birth mother changed her mind and wanted the baby back, so the woman had to give her up. I know that more happened in the book after that and I'm pretty sure that the ending was a happy one.
I remember really enjoying the story and I have wanted to find it and read it for myself but I have no idea what it is called or who wrote it.

message 2: by Bess (new)

Bess (Neli) | 22 comments Possibly 'The family nobody wanted' by Helen Doss? It's a true story about a couple who adopted 12 children, I love this story and there were a number of almost adoptions that almost happened but didn't quite at the end. Also has a very happy ending.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Brown (anancybrown) | 4 comments No, I don't think that's it. In this story, the woman had no adopted children and it was about the struggles she went through in trying to adopt.

message 4: by Jaina (new)

Jaina Rose (ireadtilldawn) | 52 comments The Family Nobody Wanted is a wonderful story (unfortunately, both my copies are missing the ending), but I don't think that's it. I'll keep an eye out for something to that description.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) That sounds to me like a rather sophisticated kind of a book to share with children about age 9.

Were there any child characters in it? Do you have any understanding of why the teacher wanted to share it with you students? Um, was this at a private or religious school?

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Brown (anancybrown) | 4 comments I don't remember there being any child characters. Yes, I went to a Christian school. I'm honestly not sure what her purpose in reading it was - I just know it was a book that she treasured. Perhaps it had to do with teaching us about hardship and/or valuing human life (I'm not really sure; that's just a guess)

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Hm. Well, you're entirely welcome to bump this thread every month or two - someday someone will recognize it!

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37833 comments Mod
Andrea, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Brown (anancybrown) | 4 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Andrea, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

I haven't found it yet.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Keep bumping every month or so. In the meantime I've moved this back into UNSOLVED.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Still looking?

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Still looking?"

No response in 2+ years. Moving to Abandoned.