The Sword and Laser discussion

The Windup Girl
This topic is about The Windup Girl
2010 Reads > TWG: Thai Turmoil

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
Using your own blood as part of a political statement definitely makes an impression!

I know practically zilch about Thailand's present situation or its history, but this book has stirred my interest in it. In his acknowledgements at the end, Bacigalupi says his future version of Thailand "should not be construed as representative of present-day Thailand or the Thai people."

However, I am curious about how much of Thai history may have inspired the complex situation of Bacigalupi's future Thailand, its power structures (the royal family, the monks, military, etc), and the route it took to remain independent and survive the collapse of the world around it, while at the same time not becoming beholden to the calorie companies (there are hints of this connection to Thai history in a speech one of the characters gives near the end of the book - I'll refrain from quoting it to keep this from being spoiler-y).

So I'm now intrigued by Bacigalupi's list of suggested authors for reading about Thailand.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2844 comments Thai protestors shut down the elevated train system

I think I'd be looking for my escape boat right about now.