Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

YA Reading Challenge > Challenge 4 Buddy Bonus & Genre Roulette Sign Up and Discussions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Misty (last edited Mar 17, 2010 12:52PM) (new)

Misty | 1505 comments BUDDY BONUS:
Please sign up here to be included in the "Buddy Bonus" portions of the challenge.
Sign up will run from today (March 17th) until April 15th, at which time I will pair people up and you can begin choosing books for each other.
Please note that you are not required to do these tasks, and if you choose to, your buddy will be picking the "Buddy Bonus" books for you and vice versa -- you should not be reading the same books as each other for Buddy Bonus unless otherwise noted.
Be nice to each other. This is a "buddy" thing after all, and you may be discussing controversial books together; name-calling and rude behavior will not be tolerated.

GENRE ROULETTE:
When you are ready to choose a book for Genre Roulette/Misty-pick (task 3.15) sign up here at any point through out the challenge. I will randomly generate your genre for you, and you can then pick a book or opt to have me choose the book for you.

PLEASE MAKE A NOTE of which you are signing up for in your comments, Buddy Bonus, Genre Roulette or both.

message 2: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments GENRE ROULETTE LIST:

When you sign up for Genre Roulette, you will be given a randomly generated number.
Find the genre that corresponds to that number on this list, and choose your YA book accordingly.
A good place to start is here in the Wild Things folders that correspond to these genres, members "shelves," or by searching in the "lists" section on Goodreads for the specific genre.

1. Action/Adventure
2. Adult Novel Appropriate for Young Adults
3. Audiobook
4. Biography or Memoir
5. Classic
6. Contemporary
7. Crime
8. Drama
9. Dystopian or Post-Apocalyptic
10. Fairy Tale Anthology or Fairy Tale Retelling
11. Fantasy
12. Graphic Novel
13. High School “Must Reads” (see list)
14. Historical
15. Horror
16. Humor
17. LGBT
18. Multicultural
19. Mystery or Suspense
20. Non-fiction
21. Paranormal or Urban Fantasy
22. Poetry
23. Romance
24. Short Story Anthology
25. Science Fiction

message 3: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
I'd like to sign up for both. I don't know that I will do any/all the buddy reads, but I certainly can provide books even if I don't get to the books recommended to me. Likewise for the roulette. Thanks!!

message 4: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Alright, Jennifer, you are the first to be assigned a Genre in Roulette! You're # is 9: Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic!

message 5: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Misty,

I'd like to sign up for both; although like I said in the other discussion, I won't be starting the challenge right away, completely at least. However, I would love to give books to a buddy starting right away and I would like to know my genre to start planning.

message 6: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Whoohoo! I love dystopian.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) I'll sign up for both Misty. This challenge looks like a doozy, but I think I'm up for it.

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie For now, I'd like to sign up for Genre Roulette. Thanks!

message 9: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments GENRE ROULETTE BOARD (alpha by name):

Heather: #20 - Non-fiction
Jamie: #4 - Biography/Memoir
Jennifer: #9 - Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic
Kellee: #15 - Horror

message 10: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I will let you guys know your buddies on the 15th so we've got a good pool to pair from, but you can start thinking about what you want your buddy to read for the tasks now, and be ready to tell them on the 15th.

message 11: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Misty,

Can you help me with horror YA books? I don't read/know many.

message 12: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Sure. Do you want me to give a few ideas, or do you want a Misty Pick? (We have a folder - YA Mystery - that has a horror section in it, if you just want ideas. I also added some links in the lists and links page)

message 13: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Found one :) The Monstrumologist
Thanks!

message 14: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Ooh, I want to read that.

message 15: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) I actually heard him speak about it and got my copy signed. He was so interesting to hear and it made me want to read it so much! The size and topic are a little intimidating, but I am going to do it!

message 16: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Good. Can't wait to see what you think of it.

message 17: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments I'm ready to sign up for both Buddy Bonus and Genre Roulette! What the heck! Let's go for it!

message 18: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Ok. Sign me up for buddy bonus!

message 19: by Misty (last edited Mar 19, 2010 12:42PM) (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Lydia, did you still want to work together to keep us out of the mix, or you want someone you don't know? (In which case, you'll find out who in a few weeks).

message 20: by Misty (new)

Lydia: #1 - Action/Adventure

message 21: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments Misty wrote: "Lydia, did you still want to work together to keep us out of the mix, or you want someone you don't know? (In which case, you'll find out who in a few weeks)."

That is fine with me, Misty.

message 22: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Which is fine? There are two options there. :s

message 23: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments Like I said -- poor vision + dead brain = total idiocy evident in postings! LOL

Yes, we'll be buddies. Tee hee. [You may want to rethink that given my current track record!:]

message 24: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments ;D

message 25: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mldavisreads) | 210 comments I'll sign up for the book buddy, I'll hold off on the genre roulette until later

message 26: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Okie dokie. The list will go up in a few weeks. :)

message 27: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Someone want to go to random.org and pull a number 1-25 so I can find out my roulette? (keepin' it fair...)

message 28: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

I got 17 for you Misty, LGBT. Enjoy!

message 29: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Thank you kindly. Works out perfectly, actually, cause I had a book I wanted to read and couldn't fit. :)

message 30: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Okay Misty, pick me a good one with your "Misty Pick" please!

message 31: by Misty (last edited Mar 26, 2010 07:03PM) (new)

Angela: #19 - Mystery/Suspense -- MistyPick = Sight (Adrienne Maria Vrettos)
Kristen: #8 - Drama
Misty: #17 - LGBT
Pollyanna: #1 Action/Adventure

message 32: by Pollyanna (new)

Pollyanna (polly8) Can I sign up for both please.

message 33: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Sure thing. Your name's been added ^, and the BB list will be out in April!

message 34: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments I will sign up for both. I didn't know you were hosting contests on this goodreads group now Misty!! :)

message 35: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Yeah, they finally suckered me in. :) You're added to the list above, and BBs will be out soon(ish)

message 36: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (micnandec) Hi Misty! Can I get a Misty Pick? I've never done the challenges before so I'm a little confused by everything (I'm rereading rules again). :-) I'm just looking for a book to read? I'm kind of done with the magic/fantasy/half-mechanized chimps books if you know what I mean? Thanks!

message 37: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Hi Mic! Welcome to challenge land! I know it can get a bit confusing (especially this one, which is more different than most); if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
For the Misty Pick, what I did was randomly generated you a number (17) and then chose a book based on that. So 17 = Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender (no danger of half-mechanized chimps, I should think...), and your Misty Pick is:
The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson.

Now, I haven't read this, but it's been on my list some time, and Johnson is quite a funny lady, so I hope you enjoy it!

message 38: by Misty (new)

Mic: #17 - LGBT -- MistyPick! (The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson)

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (micnandec) Misty wrote: "Hi Mic! Welcome to challenge land! I know it can get a bit confusing (especially this one, which is more different than most); if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
For the Misty Pick..."

Awesome! I haven't read any LGBT in a long time. Actually I live in a rather conservative area and these books are often hidden on the shelf. In fact, we only own one copy of The Bermudez Triangle in my system and it's labeled as "adult fiction."

And I'm quite glad for this challenge, it's good to get outside the box!

message 40: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments TBT is labeled as adult? Wow. It's so clearly not adult...

message 41: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (micnandec) Misty wrote: "TBT is labeled as adult? Wow. It's so clearly not adult..."

LOL! I agree after reading some of the reviews of it. But let me just state that I live in FL...and it's right down the street from Leesburg...

message 42: by Kellee (last edited Apr 06, 2010 05:03PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Mic- Florida is an interesting place :) and not good interesting most of the time. If you look at the challenges of books, most are here :(
But how would most people know about Leesburg?

message 43: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (micnandec) Kellee wrote: "Mic- Florida is an interesting place :) and not good interesting most of the time. If you look at the challenges of books, most are here :(
But how would most people know about Leesburg?"

Sorry I sometimes forget that not everybody hears the local news. :-) Not too long ago Leesburg made some news about wanting TBT, and other books, removed from YA to the Adult Fic section because of the content. I wouldn't be surprised if my system made a similar shift to avoid challenge issues as well. A quick Google search of the book and FL brings up some interesting results.

message 44: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Mic- At least censorship didn't win this time!! The library kept both challenged books in the young adult section.

message 45: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Good for them. Libraries at the very least should be censorship-free.

message 46: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mldavisreads) | 210 comments So I have realized I can't lay out my challenge books if I don't know my genre--so I am entering myself into the roulette. Sounds so dramatic...

message 47: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Ooh, dramatic, eh?
CUE DRUMROLL!

#9 - Dystopian

(this is me, jealous - not that I don't read plenty...)

message 48: by Misty (new)

Mandy: #9 - Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic
Mic: #17 - LGBT -- MistyPick! (The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson)

message 49: by Pollyanna (new)

Pollyanna (polly8) I've decided to go with The Angel Experiment for this one, it is under Action.

message 50: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (micnandec) Kellee wrote: "Mic- At least censorship didn't win this time!! The library kept both challenged books in the young adult section."

Yes, but sadly TBT never made it to the YA section in my library and sits in the Adult Fic. It just goes to show how things like challenges affect other libraries in the area. Instead of placing TBT where it really belongs (in YA), the Powers That Be decided to forego any challenges and stick in Adult Fic. Many LGBT meet the same fate or never even get purchased. I was surprised at how few LGBT titles we have. And if there's any sort of challenges/bans on those titles the system won't even consider purchasing or adding them.
Here's an interesting article on Librarian Self-censorship that I think illustrates what really happens in a lot of libraries when faced with "challenged" books: http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/a...

« previous 1