Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

Sookie Stackhouse Books > Dead Until Dark

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie Let's discuss Dead Until Dark under this thread!

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie OK I will start.....
I really loved how this book started a great series... a bar waitress who can hear people's thoughts? Ok that is cool. And she can't hear vampires. I I love how personal Sookie is... speaking of hearing thoughts.. she hates when she sleeps with someone she can hear everything they are thinking, including the negative stuff. But then she meets a vampire who she can't hear and it is paradise for her. So enters Bill. Who just happens to be her neighbor! YES!

message 3: by MJ (new)

MJ I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was a great way to introduce you to new characters that you could love. Sookie was a real person with real emotions and issues. I think she handles her self well in this crazy supernatural world she finds herself in.

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie How fun is Tara?

message 5: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I got this book from a community on Livejournal called lifeafterharry(potter). I read the Twilight series so I decided to try this one cuz it sounded interesting and different. At first I couldn't get past chapter 1 but i picked it up again after a break and I loved it. I loved Bill with Sookie at first but then Eric was introduced and I wished she had met him first. LOL.

I loved the mystery and how could you not love Sookie as a person? I'd totally be her friend if she only existed foreal.

message 6: by Ranata (last edited May 21, 2008 07:15PM) (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) LOL. Bill's whole description sucked. He just seems so old fashioned, like how they portrayed Dracula in the movies. This cover for FDTW is my vision of Bill. He was just so boring.

message 7: by Angie (new)

Angie What is FDTW?

message 8: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments Careful on spoilers here for those who may just be on this first book. We are giving some stuff away that does not happen until later books :)

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie Yea Jessie is right, we should only talk about Dead until Dark.

message 10: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) you're right. sorry about that! I edited it out.

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie It is hard when you have read them all!

message 12: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Before picking up DUD (hahaha, I didn't think about the acronym before now) I woulda thought it'd be awesome to read thoughts, but CH changed my mind on that one!!

message 13: by Angie (new)

Angie Yea I also thought it would be cool to hear people's thoughts. But only if I could turn it on and off. Sookie has to hear thoughts non-stop.

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie I really like the whole synthetic blood thing. And how vampires pick the type of blood they want to drink... A positive! And how Sookie will heat it up for them.

message 15: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) But that's the thing Shazzy. Most of the time a woman doesn't want to hear she looks fat from her other half! You'd hear things you wouldn't want to hear. She can't really control it so she hears the things you shouldn't hear another person thinking. It's called thinking for a reason, LOL.

message 16: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessartisan) When Sookie was being attacked by the drainer couple in Merlotte's parking lot - wasn't there a dog there before Bill came? Was that Sam?

message 17: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) There was a dog there?! Really? I need to go back and read that part!

message 18: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Shazzy, I have no idea. LOL. We're weird but I think men are weirder.

message 19: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessartisan) It was driving me crazy, so I went back through. It's during the scene where the Rats attack her:

"Behind me, the dog whined. A cold nose poked my ear, and a warm tongue licked it. I tried to raise my hand to pet the dog that had undoubtedly saved my life, but I couldn’t. I could hear myself sigh. It seemed to come from a long way away."

And then a few paragraphs later, she asks Bill about the dog, but Bill was gone.

message 20: by MJ (new)

MJ i remember now. It had to be Sam.

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie Do we find out about Sam in this book? I thought that came later?

message 22: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Angie, we did. Remember he was "Dean" the dog that Sookie took home with her?

message 23: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Oh wow. Thanks! I totally don't remember that part. It must have been Sam because we did get introduced to him as a dog in this one.

message 24: by Angie (new)

Angie OK I wasn't sure if this book we found out about Sam being a dog and I didn't want to spoil it for people. It's been a while since I have read it. I was so surprised that Sam was a sheep type dog! :) Too cute!

message 25: by Deebles (new)

Deebles I really loved Dead Until Dark, it has been a while since i read it, and have now loaned it out (am hoping it comes back in one piece) but i do remember i really liked the introduction of vampires into human society. I think this was the first book i have read where there was an integration of the two without it being vampires are evil yada yada yada.

Bill was a strange one as he was really old fashioned but was subtly sexy too, so i could see why Sookie liked him.

I'm not sure i want to discuss anymore as i have a tendancny to confuse books and do not want to give anything away. I now just want to get my book back and re-read it.

message 26: by Angie (new)

Angie I wonder if Sookie can read thoughts, especially by touching people, if she can also see what people are dreaming. I wonder if that would be considered the same thing as thinking? She could touch someone when they are asleep and see everything in their dreams? She would probably see some weird things.

message 27: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 471 comments Mod
What Women Want is an awesome movie!
I can't wait to see how they will play out telepathy in True Blood.

message 28: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Dannii, I really like the fact that the whole vamps are evil and the world must not know about them thing didn't exist. I think this was the first bok I read that was like that but then again, I started first with Twilight and then tackled Sookie. This series has become one of my favs and I look for more like these when I am searching for a new series to start. Goodreads is awesome.

I was really indifferent to Bill, though. I didn't dislike him or like him. I just accepted him as her boyfriend. I instantly fell in love with Eric though and we know they are polar opposites, lol.

message 29: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (ladykatherinebookgoddess) I am rereading Dead Until Dark right now. I have noticed a change in Charlaine's quality over the last few books. The way she wrote Eric in the last novel was almost comical (all the "lovers" so un-Eric.) I know for the most part people seem to hate Bill, but after rereading how they met, I think he really loved her and still does. I really hope Charlaine's writing style starts to lean back towards the original books.

message 30: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Katherine I believe he loved her and still loves her but he didn't have good intentions at first. Just another person using her for her gift. I'll say he did love her but I was ready for her to be done with him after I read Club Dead. It was time for some Alcide or Eric action. LOL

message 31: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Me too!

Was Tara described as a black girl in the books??

message 32: by Angie (new)

Angie I am not sure... I am about to look it up!

message 33: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I only ask because she's black in the video I saw of an episode!

message 34: by Angie (new)

Angie Yea i noticed that as well....also the first actress to play Tara was Brook Kerr. And then they changed her to the actress who plays Tara now.

I can't find anything about Tara in the first book! Has anyone read it recently that can find it easily?

message 35: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessartisan) I couldn't find anything about her until the second book:

"Her dark hair was cut in a short pageboy, and her lipstick could have lit a fire, it was so hot."

"Tara, beside him, was sulking, her dark brows drawn down over dark eyes. Tara was wearing a bra and panties of shrieking red, and she looked pretty good. Her toenails and fingernails were painted so they matched, and so did her lipstick."

From 3rd book:

"Tara, who is several inches taller than I am, has dark hair and eyes and olive skin."

message 36: by Angie (new)

Angie Hummm.... so she doesn't even seem to be in the first book! I looked through the whole thing. And finally the third book mentions the olive skin! Thanks Jess! You are a great investigator!

message 37: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) dark hair and olive skin isn't that helpful. LOL. i never thought she was african american cuz Sookie pointed out all the other african americans in the book. Doesn't matter, I like Tara regardless.

message 38: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessartisan) Reading ebooks makes it super easy to find these kinds of things! ;D

message 39: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) LOL..I need to get some ebooks then!

message 40: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessartisan) I don't know how people live without them. Haha.

message 41: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (ladykatherinebookgoddess) I just reread it and Tara was only mentioned in the first book. She doesn't really come out as a secondary character until much later. I think her shop is mentioned in the first book, but that is it.

message 42: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) She comes out more in Living Dead in Dallas but they never mention her race flat out. She's mentioned Alcee Beck's so I'm assuming for the show, they are just making the character African American.

message 43: by laura (last edited Sep 13, 2008 07:08PM) (new)

laura "Smeagol2" (bittenbyu2yahoocom) | 22 comments Just started to read this book. I am on chapter 8 so 1/2 way done. I am trying not to read too many spoilers for the others books but I already know some stuff I wished I did not. Oh well.

So far the book is good. I am not use to first person narration. I am not heavy reader. In fact I rarely read. The only other book series I read was Harry Potter. But I digress.

message 44: by Ranata (last edited Sep 13, 2008 01:30PM) (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Well, Smeagol2, I hope you enjoy the series and sorry about the spoilers! It's kind of hard NOT to spoil it for someone else.

I too read the Harry Potter series and loved them so much. Just to let you know, you'll encounter vamps, magic, fairies and werepanthers in the Sookie series. Just keep on reading if you loved the first one!

message 45: by laura (new)

laura "Smeagol2" (bittenbyu2yahoocom) | 22 comments Werepanthers? Kool!

message 46: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Werepanthers, weretigers, werefoxes...you name it, it's in there!

I Love this series!

message 47: by laura (new)

laura "Smeagol2" (bittenbyu2yahoocom) | 22 comments Ok I must have missed something but who is Bubba supposed to be that everyone seems to know.

message 48: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I don't want to tell you but he's a hunka hunka burning love and he did a ton of movies like Blue Hawaii.

message 49: by laura (new)

laura "Smeagol2" (bittenbyu2yahoocom) | 22 comments GET OUT!!!!!!! That's clever.

message 50: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I thought so too. Trust me, I was just as stumped when she kept saying oh my goodness it's the man from memphis! I was thinking and I'm suppose to know who that is because....?

I thought it was damn clever! Should have been obvious considering he was wearing a I went to Graceland t-shirt when Sookie first met him.

« previous 1