Christian Support Group :) discussion

Reaching Out > Mission Trips

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Savannah, Shay-la!!!!!!! (new)

Savannah | 69 comments Mod
mission trips sound fun to go on....i wish i could go (haven't yet.) but i feel so sorry for those missionaries that are accused of being kidnappers in other countries, or things like that. it makes me sad cuz' they are trying to help.

message 2: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (crowlm) | 6 comments I have gone on many missions trips in my life. It is a wonderful blessing to get to go on them. I spend 8 months living in an orphanage for handicapped children in Baja Mexico, and I will never forget the kids or the friends I made there.

message 3: by Savannah, Shay-la!!!!!!! (new)

That's AWESOME!!!! GO MANDY!!!!

Also, I read a book where a scene took place in Baja, Mexico.

message 4: by Aoibheann (new)

Aoibheann | 47 comments I reallyyyyy want to go on a mission trip. I've never went though...

message 5: by Sharissa (new)

Sharissa Spangler | 33 comments We went to one in Durham, NC this past March. It was so amazing and eye opening! We're planning on going on a foreign on next summer and I'm super duper excited!

message 6: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga I might be going with my dad and one of my favorite Theologians Billy Abraham to Nepal next year.

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments Cool! (both of yours)

message 8: by Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (last edited Sep 05, 2010 06:53AM) (new)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments I doubt that the mission trips that the other members here are discussing have anything to do with enslavement and whipping. Just because the Spanish missions, along with many other missions, were cruel does not mean that all are cruel. As long as those going on the mission are peaceful and respectful to those they are trying to convert, what is the harm in mission trips?

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments Not all missions are like that, though. Mandy's mission experience doesn't sound disrespectful. Everyone is different. Some will be respectful, others won't. There is nothing wrong with mission trips as long as they are peaceful and respectful.

message 10: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga Lindsay wrote: "The thing is, they're not peaceful and respectful. My mom used to live right next to a mission, and she used to really like them. But when the missionaries found out that she supported gay marriage..."

The only reason I want to go is to hang out with Billy Abraham. I don't really believe in evangelism.

message 11: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga they were setting up missionaries.

message 13: by Savannah, Shay-la!!!!!!! (new)

Alex-wa wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "You all do realize that the missions enslaved the Native Americans when they were first established and whipped them until they decided to convert to Christianity, right? There is n..."

yeah alex wa. but do you think we could include how Christianity was first brought to America. That's important to know, right?

message 14: by Sharissa (new)

Sharissa Spangler | 33 comments We just found out that we're going to Nova Scotia!!!!!

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments Alex-wa wrote: "Yeah but not the way Lindsay was portraying it. But she was kinda exaggerating. -.-"

It was the way she described in some cases, though not all cases. No generalization is completely true. There are always at least some (sometimes more than some) exceptions.

message 16: by Breezy (new)

Breezy | 62 comments I think it is sad that the arrogance, ignorance, and general LOUD- MOUTHEDNESS of some have ruined the word "missionary" for the rest of us! The missions trips that I have been a part of had nothing to do with Bible- beating. I didn't go door- to- door to hand out pamphlets. I didn't stand from a stage in a public place preaching scriptures at the passers by. And I most certainly did not use violence in any way, shape or form to "bring people to Christ". Jesus Christ taught love... He said that of faith, hope and love, the greatest was love. He told us to love one another so the world would know we were His disciples. Now, I am not condemning those who choose to go door- to- door, nor do I condemn those who choose to stand upon a stage preaching the gospel. I'm just saying that missions trips this day in age take on many different forms. My church used to go to Mexico every year to help build/ maintain an orphanage in Tecate. One year I went to Ensenada to help run a Vacation Bible School. My sister went to Guatemala to help teach English. She also went to Laos to help deliver a tractor my church bought for a village to use. They also stayed to help teach the farmers how to use the tractor, and teach them better farming practices (such as irrigating crops, eco- friendly/ natural "pesticides") so they could get a better price for their crop and (hopefully) not starve. My friend went to China for a year to teach English to Chinese women who wanted to teach English to their students. Missions trips are not about shoving the word down people's throats... they are about going out to the world and showing God's love to all of His children, showing charity to those who were not as blessed as we, and hoping that through our loving actions they might see God's love in us and accept Him as their Saviour.

message 17: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 31 comments We're going to Uganda this summer to build a hospital, I really can't wait!

I know this sounds shallow and un-Christ-like, but my dad told me that after Uganda he booked us tickets to India, Australia,China, and Japan

I'm really excited about my mission work and backpacking around Asia with my dad :)

message 18: by Sharissa (new)

Sharissa Spangler | 33 comments Now that's pretty sweet!!!!

message 19: by Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (last edited Sep 25, 2010 09:16AM) (new)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments Breezy wrote: "I think it is sad that the arrogance, ignorance, and general LOUD- MOUTHEDNESS of some have ruined the word "missionary" for the rest of us! The missions trips that I have been a part of had nothi..."

It's so sad that a few can ruin it for so many. Your "actions speak louder than words" method is wonderful, though. :D

It's a shame that people tend to notice and remember the negative more readily than the positive.

*Mrs. Brightside* Courtney wrote: "We're going to Uganda this summer to build a hospital, I really can't wait!

I know this sounds shallow and un-Christ-like, but my dad told me that after Uganda he booked us tickets to India, Austr..."

That didn't sound shallow though..but that's awesome!

message 21: by Sharissa (new)

Sharissa Spangler | 33 comments It is pretty stinkin' awesome! When are you going exactly?? We'll all be praying for you!...except for Rachel.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments Ummm, why won't I be praying for her?

message 23: by Sharissa (new)

Sharissa Spangler | 33 comments You don't believe in God.

*Mrs. Brightside* Hey! She could still pray maybe even if she doesn't..

message 25: by Sharissa (new)

Sharissa Spangler | 33 comments She could, but there's nothing to say that she would.

*Mrs. Brightside* Wait-Rachel really doesn't believe in God? Wow, I'm late. What if I don't pray, but I believe in god still? Actually, I don't think that makes sense

message 27: by Sharissa (new)

Sharissa Spangler | 33 comments It makes sense, but we're kind of told to pray in the Bible because it's how we communicate with our Heavenly Father. Praying doesn't make you a Christian, but it can make you a stronger one.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments I believe in God. I just don't take the Bible as absolute truth. You were probably mixing me up with my anti-fundamentalist and anti-atheist friends who joined and leaked havoc on the group. I'm somewhere between Catholic and Quaker.

*Mrs. Brightside* ..Oh. Wait..
Sharissa wrote: "She could, but there's nothing to say that she would."

That's why we let her tell us if she would or not. If she already said she wouldn't, then oh well. If she said she would..then okay. If she didn't say anything, then no one should start assuming just because she doesn't believe in god. Of course she could lie to us, but we'll just have to beliiiieve.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments It's fine. It was just a simple misunderstanding. :)

*Mrs. Brightside* ..Oh! I didn't even see that post(: haha. She probably did though.

message 32: by Sharissa (new)

Sharissa Spangler | 33 comments Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "I believe in God. I just don't take the Bible as absolute truth. You were probably mixing me up with my anti-fundamentalist and anti-atheist friends who joined and leaked havoc on the group. I'm..."

That's kind of interesting. I was definitely getting you mixed up... sorry! You kind of got mixed up with everyone on the debate forum who is completely against the idea of God in general.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments Ha ha, no problem. I don't expect everyone on this group to memorize everything about me. Honestly, that would be a bit creepy. ;)

I understand how I can get mixed up with them, though, since they aren't hostile towards me, even though I believe in God.

*Mrs. Brightside* Yeah. Lol.

message 35: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Missions for the LDS are much different than other Missions, just from what I've gathered from your posts. ^_^

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments MYHAPPYMONSTER wrote: "Missions for the LDS are much different than other Missions, just from what I've gathered from your posts. ^_^"

You guys are the door-to-door type, right? A few came to my house the other day. They were very good about answering questions.

message 37: by Breezy (new)

Breezy | 62 comments Now that you mention it... I have a question. Why is it that Mormon missionaries never come to my house anymore? We used to see them pretty regularly, but not for more than a year. Then just last week, I saw a couple of Mormon missionaries visit my neighbors, but they completely skipped over my house. And I'm pretty sure they knew I was home since the car was in the driveway, and I had the front door open. I wonder why they didn't stop. I love it when they come by... it's a lot of fun to discuss scripture with them!

message 38: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) I'm not sure. Maybe next time you see them you could ask if they'll visit. And yeah, we're typically door-to-door. ^_^ The people that are over the districts decide who goes where, or even the ward/branch bishop. Missionaries are really cool, but the guys always complain about how they can't hug women. ;)

message 39: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 31 comments A mormon missionary came to my house a few year ago, one of my best friends is mormon