Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Discussions and Questions > Tell us about your recent BR finds!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 202 (202 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 444 comments Mod
Did you just come across a box of BR's at a garage sale for $2? Find a book you have been looking for at your local used book store? Find a new online source to feed your addiction? Need to share with someone who will celebrate your great find with you instead of look at you like you are crazy?

Come tell us about your recent BR purchases and sources!!!

message 2: by Jennefer (last edited Mar 17, 2010 10:15AM) (new)

My library has a "books for keeps" shelf all year round and everytime I am there (weekly) I have to see what there is in the way of bodice rippers! Now that I think about it, I think the first real bodice ripper I read was one I picked up there "just for fun" and that's how I discovered how much I enjoy these books.

Anyway I was there last night and picked up Hide My Savage Heart, Ride the Savage Sea, and Unconquered for $.50 each! Love it! I am new to all of these titles and authors, I just picked them up based on the covers :)

Last week I grabed Midnight Lady for $1 on a clearance rack at my local UBS. I always have to drop in when I am in the area and browse the clearance rack because I know I am guaranteed to find some bodice ripper's there!

message 3: by Karla (new)

Karla | 1668 comments Mod
Jennefer wrote: "I just picked them up based on the covers"

That's pretty much how I choose 99.9999% of mine!

Today I just won a lot of abt 25 "Plantation Themed" romances on Ebay. There's some HF in there, but the majority is good ole BRs and what could be called "Spawn of Mandingo" type literature. Can't wait to get them, because I love that trashy stuff as much as bodice rippers. Anyone ever seen the movie of Mandingo? Epic hilarity. :D

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) That is funny, Karla. I've heard about Mandingo. :)

message 5: by Karla (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "That is funny, Karla. I've heard about Mandingo. :)"

It's either the high point of camp in James Mason's career, or the nadir. The whole movie was so absurd that it was easy to forget just what it was about. It borders on Grand Guignol at times.

I'd like to get the unabridged edition of the book, but it's outrageously expensive. (And you think Stormfire on the used market is pricey! $80 is the cheapest I've ever seen it for.)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) Wow! That's a crazy sum for a book. I know a lot of Balogh's rare books are going for $20-40. Too rich for my blood for one paperback book.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (creeker) | 133 comments I ran across some Johanna Lindsey books today. One in particular was Silver Angel. I found one with Fabio on the front of it and one with like a desert scene with a lady sittin showin her back. Anyway what I'm wondering is if they changed alot of the books along with the covers you know like what happened with Whitney My Love by McNaught, or was that like this one particular book. I rather read an original version that a changed/reworded book. Know what I mean?

message 8: by Karla (new)

I think any book that has been reworked (i.e., "improved") is usually labeled as such on the front cover. The different artwork is just that. No changing of the text inside.

The only 2 revisions I know of, however, are McNaught's Whitney, My Love and Coulter's The Rebel Bride, and when I req'd a copy of the Coulter on pbswap, I made sure from the sender that it was the ORIGINAL version! It's the old Signet Regency cover that looks pretty darned tame, too. From what I've heard, the contents are not!

The Rebel Bride

message 9: by Jennefer (new)

Found myself a slew of books at my library's "books for keeps shelf" today. How can I turn down 2 paperbacks for a dollar? I am defenseless against a deal like that! :) Some BR's, some not.

Man For Her
Worth Any Price
Beloved Stranger
While Passion Sleeps
Warrior's Woman
Magic Nights
Chantal
Toward Amnesia
Waters of Eden
Master of Desire

-K- That't it for a while! I mean it this time! I can stop anytime I want! :)

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) I ordered like 40lbs of books of ebay a few months back - all historical romances, hoping to get a good range for my lifetime of reading books challenge over on RRRC and imagine my surprise when I opened it up and found Stormfire by Christine Monson - I know lots of ppl hate this book, but it is for me a bodice ripper in the truest sense of the word and i'm enjoying it

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) i'm loving it and while I can see the issue that some people have with it, its not as bad as I had imagined based on all the fuss made about it

message 12: by Karla (new)

That was my reaction as well. I was expecting stuff far worse because of all the super-squicked comments out there in Blog- and Forum-Land.

And my one peeve with it is never mentioned - that the whole final part in France is too long and unnecessary! The "nasty" stuff fits in with the book's characters and theme. That long epilogue didn't.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) i haven't read it all yet, but here is my perception based on my psychology background...people try to force their 20th century beliefs onto a story that is historically accurate and they can't deal with it. Even the difference between what was acceptable in the 1980's to now is vastly different...I guess I have the ability to see things in a different setting and not let my own beliefs influence what I read (if that makes sense)...i.e. no way in heck would I stay with a guy like Sean, however, in the historical context of the story, it was accurate and I can read it because of that...but that is my venting for the day!

message 14: by Karla (new)

I know what you mean! And if I read a book where the characters and plot elements don't jibe with my own beliefs or whatever, and yet I still love the book, it's more satisfying to me than something that caters to a 21st c. mindset.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 107 comments I've been keeping an eye out for Stormfire ever since I heard about it on this forum. I'm dying to read it!

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) when I finish it, I could loan it to you, but i'd want it back (lol! I think its going to end up with a permanent place on my shelf)

Amanda wrote: "I've been keeping an eye out for Stormfire ever since I heard about it on this forum. I'm dying to read it!"

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 107 comments Delicious Dee wrote: "when I finish it, I could loan it to you, but i'd want it back (lol! I think its going to end up with a permanent place on my shelf)

Amanda wrote: "I've been keeping an eye out for Stormfire eve..."

That would be great! If I love it I bet I'd want my own permanent copy too. lol. But it would be cool to read it first so I could know and then I could snag one up whenever I came across it sometime... I'm just anxious to read it since I heard about it

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) you could check ebay or amazon, but lots of ppl on there have jacked up the price because it is so hard to come by - I lucked out getting mine in that box of books off ebay - i guess the ppl didn't know what they had ;)

message 19: by Maddie (new)

Maddie | 7 comments I found a BR titled 'This Ravaged Heart' by Barbara Riefe with a claim on the cover: "A Tumultuous Romance in The Tradition of Wicked Loving Lies". I picked this one up at a thrift store for about 50 cents.

message 20: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments I just got 2 old Karen Robards from ebay - Desire in the Sun and Tiger's Eye, can't wait to start them!

message 21: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer wrote: "...-K- That't it for a while! I mean it this time! I can stop anytime I want! :) "

Just got back from half price books, picked me up Once and Always, Devilish and Love Wild and Fair. My last post was 10 days ago... I am so weak! LOL

message 22: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 120 comments I just finishe 'Never Call It Love' by Veronica Jason. I got it in a box of books from e-bay and loved it. Now I can't wait to see what other great books might have been in that box =)

message 23: by Karla (new)

Oh I DO love that cover more! I have a thing for white/silver hair on a guy anyway, so I SOOOOOO can't wait to read this legendary ripper. :D

(And yes, I'm willing to send it along after I'm done with it...after Jeanine's done with it.... I'll just scan it so I can have a copy forever.)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) That is a big-time score, Jeanine. High Five!

message 25: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 120 comments Ohhhh, this one sounds GOOD!!!

message 26: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 107 comments love the happy dance! hehe :) Score!!

message 28: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments Awesome! You must have a great used bookstore -- congrats!

message 29: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) looks like u got some goodies there.

message 30: by Jennefer (new)

You got some goodies there! I see you have Passion by Lisa Valdez and A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught in there... a couple of my faves! :) And The Kadin by Bertrice Small, nice! Oh, and some Deidre Knight.... I loved her contemporary romance Butterfly Tattoo and have been wanting to check out her PNR series! Oh I am so jealous! The Bronze Horseman! A Knight in Shinning Armor! Oh, so jealous! :)

Happy reading Tonya!

message 31: by Noelle (new)

Noelle | 120 comments Wow, I want to go to your used bookstore. Lately mine has been a bust. I saw a few in your list that I have read. I loved 'Tiger's Eye' by Karen Robards and the ones from Julie Garwood I thought were pretty good too. On Amazon the book 'Passion' has caused quite a stir but I haven't bought it yet.
It looks like you have some great reading ahead of you. Have fun =)

message 32: by Jennefer (new)

Did some book shopping this weekend.... library book sale.... like I am not going to check that out no matter how many books I have! (and a stop by the used book store... shhhh... don't tell my hubby)

White Oleander by Janet Fitch
Sophie's Choice by William Styron
The President's Lady: A Novel about Rachel and Andrew Jackson by Irving Stone
Forever and Always by Jude Deveraux
Anya: A Novel by Susan Fromberg Schaeffer
Fever Pitch by Sarah Holland
Bonds of Enchantment by Marian Jones
Jade: A Novel of China by Pat Barr
Centennial by James A. Michener
Fire's Lady by Barbara Bretton
Hungry Hill by Daphne du Maurier
Small Changes by Marge Piercy
An Indecent Obsession by Colleen McCullough
A Garden of Earthly Delights by Joyce Carol Oates
The Exiles by William Stuart Long
The Hat on the Bed by John O'Hara
Whispers on the Nile by David Wolman
Deceived by Bertrice Small
Answer As a Man by Taylor Caldwell
Passion's Raging Storm by Sylvie F. Sommerfield
The Duchess by Jude Deveraux
Captive Secrets by Fern Michaels
The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
Sofia by Ann Chamberlin

*Whew* All of this for $14... maybe I should come clean with my hubby.... like he could get upset over 14 bucks! (I'm kidding, he does not care.... but I like to try to avoid the crazy looks he gives me when I get all excited over my recent finds, lol)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 839 comments Mod
Jeanine wrote: "Whoop Whoop - Scored another HTF one!

Finally got my greedy little hands on **drum roll**

The Wind & the Sea The Wind & the Sea by Marsha Canham
OMG I had this book & lost it in a move..have been searching for years and never see it under $100.00 on amazon.ca used book sellers ENJOY!
Yeah! And got it with a lot of..."

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) Tonya wrote: "I went on a book buying spree yesterday and got several good books. I LOVE buying books!! Book buying addiction anyone!?!? Oh no, not me!!

Some historical, some paranormal, and a few bodice ripper..."

What an awesome catch, Tonya!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) Congrats on getting The Wind and the Sea, Jeanine. That one is very HTF!

message 36: by Melita (new)

Melita (prodigalofblue) | 12 comments Jennefer wrote: "My library has a "books for keeps" shelf all year round and everytime I am there (weekly) I have to see what there is in the way of bodice rippers! Now that I think about it, I think the first rea..."

Great finds!..I visit my local second bookstore, the size of a warehouse, and it's a great place to find romance books of all kinds...especially classic romances with the original covers.

message 37: by Melita (new)

Melita (prodigalofblue) | 12 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "i haven't read it all yet, but here is my perception based on my psychology background...people try to force their 20th century beliefs onto a story that is historically accurate and they can't dea..."

I agree...I find myself bothered and annoyed that today's writers embed 20th century values and attitudes in their historical romances...

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) wow I had totally forgotten that I wrote that...lol! i ended up finishing Stormfire and loving it...and its on the keeper self for future re-reads

Melita wrote: "Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "i haven't read it all yet, but here is my perception based on my psychology background...people try to force their 20th century beliefs onto a story that is hist..."

message 39: by BRNTerri (last edited Jul 07, 2010 01:14PM) (new)

BRNTerri | 84 comments I've just got one I'd been after, Fever Moon by Susanna Howe. It's from 1978 so it better be good!

Another one I just got is Paxton Pride by Shana Carrol, who is really a man named Kerry Newcomb. This one is from 1976. I also have one coming called Tempest by Christina Savage, who is also Kerry Newcomb.

OH Acornn! where did you get Paxton pride?? I had the whole series once & lost them in a move:( did you get it in good shape? I have read other books under Kerry Newcomb which were good.

message 41: by BRNTerri (new)

BRNTerri | 84 comments Hi Sandi!

I got it off the internet. It's in ok shape. It has two minimal spine creases and one on the front corner. The pages are edged in green. Can't wait to read it!

The Kerry Newcomb books are westerns, not romance, and I wouldn't be interested in reading them. You can go here to see all his books and pseudonyms.

Thanks acornn! I bookmarked it ..and I didnt know this author went under other names...great place for info..thanks again :)

message 43: by Riccarla Roman (new)

Riccarla Roman | 19 comments I've been busy with my daughter's show ("Bye Bye Birdie") and we went to Whittier, CA for the performances. I found this great bookstore: Little Old Bookshop, 6708 Greenleaf Ave., Whittier. In the back on the right, they have a bright pink room (more like a short hall) with romance novels! I found the following:

Sweet Savage Love - Rosemary Rogers
Love Wild and Fair - Bertrice Small
Savage Conquest, Passions Wild and Free, Stolen Ecstacy - Janelle Taylor
Amberleigh - Carole Nelson Douglas
Wild Flame - Gina Delaney
Jewel of the Seas - Ellen Argo
Ride Out the Storm - Aleen Malcolm
Purity's Shame - Janatte Seymour (I've ordered the previous books - Purity's Passion and Purity's Ecstacy)
Dawn of the White Rose - Mary Pershall
Passion Moon Rising, Upon a Moon-Dark Moor - Rebecca Brabdewyne
Yellow Rose - Shana Carrol
Secrets of the Heart - Cassie Edwards (before she started writing the Native American novels)
Love's Pirate - Mary Daheim
Defiant Mistress - Elaine Barbieri
Stolen Surrender,Liberty Blue, Midnight Rose, The Magic, Forever Rose, Dream Tide - Robin Lee Hatcher (she writes inspirationals now - she's always been a great story teller)
Sweet Surrender - Catherine Coulter

Riccarla

message 44: by Joeera (last edited Jul 11, 2010 11:44AM) (new)

Joeera  | 107 comments While i was vacation i found this used book store near a friends house and here are some of the romances i found

Raven
Whildfire(both by Norah hess)
Someone to watch over me(LIsa Kleypas)
Everylast
Petals On The River(both by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss)
Rosamund
This Heart Of Mine(both by Bertrice small)
Never Dare A Duke(by Gayle Callen)
Forever And A Day(Mary Mcbride)
Forever And Beyound(by Penelope Neri)
The Crystal Rose( rebecca Brandewyne)
Sweet Desire(by Sara Orwig)
Angel
Until Forever(both by Johanna Lindsey)
Come The Night(by Christina Sky)

Here are some i found befroe i left.

A Pirates Love
Glorious Angel(both by Johanna Lindsey)
The Thorn Birds(by Colleen Mccullough)
A Dangerous Love(by Brends Joyce)
Until You(by Judith Mcnaught)
Velvet Chains
Cheyenne Sunrise(both by Constance O'bannyon)
A Season Byond A Kiss(by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss)

message 45: by Riccarla Roman (new)

Riccarla Roman | 19 comments I just ordered Paxton Pride because I got Yellow Rose!
Today at the library I got:
Forever in Your Embrace - Kathleen Woodiwiss
The Sherbrooke Twins - and Lyon's Gate - Catherine Coulter
Her Heart's Honor - Lydia Lancaster (this looks like a great ripper) here's the back cover:
He gave her everything but freedom...Damascus could trace her ancestry to the English nobility. Frome her father, Sir George Faradine, came spectacular beauty and bearing. From her unwed mother, a legacy of life in Newgate prison, where the spirited child learned the ways of the streets and the evil of men. But nothing could have prepared her for Haiti, where she was sold into slavery and bought by a man deformed by nature, character, and fate.
Monsieur Jean de la Roche gave Damascus everything but freedom. She was the wife he bought for her beauty, her breeding - and for his heir, to be sired by his perfectly formed brother, Adrian, the only man she ever desired. In her blood flowed the blood of kings and warriors, and in this violent new land of Haiti she would fight for liberty.

I think this has all the characteristics of a great read!

Riccarla

message 46: by Karla (new)

I just recently got Her Heart's Honor as well, simply from reading the back cover! It sounds sooooooooooooo good. I've also gotten a couple others by Lydia Lancaster - haven't read a one yet! But they all sound pretty good.

The Temptation - colonial Boston
After Tomorrow - 19th c. theater! Woohoo!

message 47: by Riccarla Roman (new)

Riccarla Roman | 19 comments Oooh, I teach drama so now I'll have to find that book. I also love the colonial period. Off to Amazon!

Riccarla

message 48: by Karla (new)

Oh dear...yesterday I went to the UBS and the owner there knows I love romances, so she took me to a closet with boxes of them and said, "$1 each and the 25% sale today applies."

So, I ask you, would you pass that up?????

I didn't. LOL Too many to name. If you're interested, just check my books for the latest added. I'm still making my way through the pile. *facepalm*

message 49: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments Karla wrote: "Oh dear...yesterday I went to the UBS and the owner there knows I love romances, so she took me to a closet with boxes of them and said, "$1 each and the 25% sale today applies."

So, I ask you, wo..."

I love watching your adds, Karla! Can't wait to see what you've unearthed this time :)

message 50: by Jennefer (new)

OMG!!! I am still shaking I am so excited!!!! I just got home from my library book sale... picked up about 12 fun new books the the absolute most exciting one is....

Where Passion Leads (Berkley-Faulkner, #1) by Lisa Kleypas by Lisa Kleypas

that is right!!! I just bought this OOP super HTF book for $0.50! What????!!!! I was jumping up and down in the isles! It barely even has a spine crease, no torn corners, no dog ears. Oh I think I am going to cry! Best book shopping trip ever!

« previous 1 3 4 5