The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Any other lawyers here? (please no lawyer jokes!)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by astrangerhere (new)

astrangerhere Hi all,

I'm an attorney on the East Coast of the US and decide it was time to delurk myself on this fabulous group. I have a degree and a masters in literature in addition to my doctorate in law. Quite simply, as my girl puts it, I am a nerd.

So I say hello and throw myself at your mercy :)

Ast

message 2: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 94 comments Sorry Ast, I thought the title of the topic was a lead in for a punchline. Personally I like lawyers. Those who think otherwise, obviously never needed one. I still watch old dvd's of LA Law, and wouldn't dream of missing Boston Legal.
So, what's the plan? Thinking of exercising your Ma degree?

Nice to meet you.

j guevara

ps: you wouldn't happen to practice copyright law wudja?

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Aw j she is not here to talk shop. Welcome AST! Have a good time here.

message 4: by KHoopMan (new)

KHoopMan  (eliza_morgan) | 151 comments I am also an East Coast lawyer...and a nerd! Welcome to goodreads : )

One lawyer joke (I'm allowed): A boat full of lawyers capsized, and when the sharks swam over they didn't attack a single one. Why?? Professional courtesy.

message 5: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10060 comments Mod
Hi Ast, welcome to the group. A masters in Lit, that is really wonderful!!!

message 6: by astrangerhere (last edited Mar 17, 2010 02:25PM) (new)

astrangerhere carol (akittykat) wrote: "Aw j she is not here to talk shop. Welcome AST! Have a good time here."

The moment you tell someone you're a lawyer, you end up talking shop because someone always has a question.

(j) wrote: "ps: you wouldn't happen to practice copyright law wudja?"

I practice corporate law, but copyright law is pretty basic and I can handle those cases if they come my way.

I leave you with one of my favorite quotes about my profession: "Litigation is a machine which you go into as a pig and come out as a sausage." - Ambrose Bierce

message 7: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 94 comments Great Ast, good to know. gotcha in my 'hired gun' file should the need arise; and it always does sooner or later. I've dished out so much cash to lawyers over the years, you'd think Yale or someone would have given me an honorary degree by now. Can you take the bar without a degree? I could pass, i swear.

Have you ever read Jerry Spense (the cowboy lawyer from Jackson Hole) 'How to Argue And Win Every Time'? It's my standard wedding gift. Funny, it's not about arguing or winning. But the titled kinda sucks you in. It's not a book to read, it's a book to live by.

j guevara

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary (attorneymom) Hi Ast,

I'm also an attorney. My main practice focus is appellate, although I do a fair amount of civil litigation as well.

M

message 9: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL I'm an East Coast lawyer also, with an LLM in Tax. I do mediation work now, and did Estate Planning and Corporate in the past.

Law school certainly trains you to read -- a lot!

message 10: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 94 comments WOW, look at all the lawyers all of a sudden! Haven't seen this many legal eagles in one place since OJ.

Surely one of y'all can answer this question. What is the Latin phrase for 'don't let the bastards grind you under'?

I need it for a line in a novel. had it but lost, can't find.

correct answer wins a free eBook , 'The Twain Shall Meet'

j guevara

(sing Jeopardy theme song)

message 11: by astrangerhere (last edited Mar 18, 2010 04:21AM) (new)

astrangerhere J-

I believe you mean "Illegitimi non carborundum." However, if you hav a good look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegiti...), you will see that the phrase is a fictitous one. Though lot of pop culture sources have appropriated it.

Ast

message 12: by Irene (new)

Irene (irena47) | 988 comments astrangerhere wrote: "J-

I believe you mean "Illegitimi non carborundum." However, if you hav a good look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegiti...), you will see that the phrase is a fictitous on..."

This is correct, J-.
And you will note in this source that the syntactically correct translation is:

Operor non permissum nothus homo frendo vos solum.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie Flora Wilkins (kflora) Retired lawyer here. I had to retire so I could find time to read for enjoyment.

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex My wife's a lawyer and also here on this site, although not as active as I am. Where on the East coast are you? We're in Boston.

She does some sort of law. You know the boring kind? Yeah, that stuff. The kind where you have this conversation: "So you're gonna be like Law & Oder?" "No."

message 15: by astrangerhere (new)

astrangerhere Alex wrote: She does some sort of law. You know the boring kind? Yeah, that stuff. The kind where you have this conversation: "So you're gonna be like Law & Oder?" "No."

That comment just made my day, as I also do the boring kind now. I specialize in managing major electronic discovery (100,000+ pages) for corporate litigation.

I used to do the law and order kind, but my partner did not like that petty criminals who happened to see me in the grocery store said hello. I specialized in particularly nasty sort of criminal prosecution, so when she asked me to quit, it wasn't all that hard to say yes.

Also, we're in the South, down in North Carolina. Chapel Hill really is the bluest piece of Heaven.

message 16: by Irene (new)

Irene (irena47) | 988 comments Mea culpa....not a lawyer....should not have intruded upon this "sacred ground..." :)

message 17: by Irene (new)

Irene (irena47) | 988 comments astrangerhere wrote: "Alex wrote: She does some sort of law. You know the boring kind? Yeah, that stuff. The kind where you have this conversation: "So you're gonna be like Law & Oder?" "No."

That comment just made my..."

GO DUKE!!!

message 18: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassielo) | 42 comments Actually, in some states, you can take the bar without a JD. You get yourself 4 or so years experience as a paralegal, take the baby bar, pass, then take the real bar. I don't think that's generally a recommended way to go though ;)

message 19: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (a-town) | 308 comments Irene wrote: "GO DUKE!!!"
I sure hope they can beat Villanova.

message 20: by astrangerhere (new)

astrangerhere Irene and Adrienne -

I'm sorry, I can never speak to either of you ever again. *stalks off grumbling about Dook fans*

message 21: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 358 comments LOL at "Dook"--I used to live in Chapel Hill.

message 22: by Alex (new)

Alex Ah, Chapel Hill. Special town for me, because (sorry, here goes Dook again) there's a lemur research center at Duke that my wife and I dream about visiting. We, ah, we like lemurs.

message 23: by Irene (last edited Mar 19, 2010 07:27PM) (new)

Irene (irena47) | 988 comments j wrote: "UK wildcats, go Big Blue BIG BLUE IS DUKE, NOT KEN TUC EE...

Illegitimi non carborundum, thanks Ast. i was close. PM me or sub to my site and I'll send your eBook forth with.

Who's gonna stop Kentucky? Not Dook! Place your bet..."

You are an author? Did you read past the first sentence of Ast.'s comment? You are no closer than you were when you first asked the question. And if you are an author, please send me your address so I may send you a sports' almanac, or even better, a dictionary. Obviously, you are able to spell KEN TUC EEE, but unable to spell DUKE.