The Sword and Laser discussion

Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments Should we have a section for recommendations?

I would add Stan Nicholls' Orcs to this. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

I really enjoyed this book - I cannot claim it is perfectly written but I loved the concept and the characters and the storyline worked well.

Paul

message 2: by Vance (new)

Vance | 362 comments What was funny was when I read the summary of that book, it started:

"Look at me. Look at the Orc."

And it immediately became that Old Spice commercial!!

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments "I'm on a Warg!"

message 4: by Nemaruse (last edited Mar 17, 2010 06:44PM) (new)

Nemaruse Neoxeekhrobe Hulkonnowolf | 33 comments Or you can start a poll in the poll section of S&L. There will be few polls of recommendations every month or two and we can select the one that gets the most votes.

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/41...

message 5: by RonTheInfinite (new)

RonTheInfinite Loupe | 5 comments Totally adding "The Lies of Locke Lamora" to this. I'm hard-pressed to find any conversation about this author. Yeah, he's kinda new to the scene, but Warner Bros. already picked up movie rights to it. Check out the book before it's ruined by Hollywood!!

message 6: by Beaker (new)

Beaker I would like to offer up Fallen Angels and Grunts for possible future books. I enjoyed both immensely and hope you will as well.

message 7: by Dan (last edited Jun 05, 2010 05:03PM) (new)

Dan (danmanning2009) is this where we recommend books? I admit I wrote both of these, but here they are anyway: Android Down and Firewood for Cannibals(and other stories)

Not sure why "Firewood" is a kindle edition link, but there is a paperback version available.

message 8: by Rick (new)

Rick Pasley (hikr3) | 71 comments I second The Lies of Locke Lamora. Gritty but fun high fantasy verging on a caper. Also The Manual of Detection, a sureal detective mystery that is hard to describe besides saying it was the best book I read last year.