Christian Support Group :) discussion

Ways to be Christian > Christian music, movies, & books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me . . . (last edited Apr 07, 2010 03:03PM) (new)

Laura | 136 comments Mod
don't know if y'all have heard of the christian contemporary band 'Casting Crowns', but if you haven't, then listen to 'em! :D

lol. just because i like them doesn't mean you will . . . buuuut you get it :D

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sandycrow) | 373 comments Mod
MercyMe and BarlowGirl. They rock :) Well I only know a few MercyMe songs, but what I've beard is good :D

message 3: by Sandy (new)

"What i've beard" hahaha whooooops

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (crowlm) | 6 comments I have lots of favorites in Christian music. My city has concerts come here often! Casting Crowns and Mercy Me are amazing, and I really enjoy their music. TobyMac is great, and Three Mile is a new fave, kinda country in sound. Kutless is my all-time favorite, and they even started in my home church :)

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethnovak) I like Owl City.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

I don't really like Tobymac… Casting Crowns, BarlowGirl, and MercyMe have songs that actually say something. Their music has a message. I've heard some Tobymac songs, and they seem to just be screaming, "YEEEEAAAHH! PRAISE GOD! JESUS SAVED ME! DATS WHAT AH SAID!"

message 7: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) *doubles over laughing hysterically* That's funny, Sandy! I know just what you're talking about, although I haven't listened to TobyMac.

I'm not a huge fan of most CCM (too rock-y for my personal taste); I like some Casting Crowns, though.

message 8: by Laura, I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me . . . (new)

Laura | 136 comments Mod
ha ha, sandy x)

one song i DO recommend by him though is this: Lose My Soul (I don't wanna gain the whoooooole world, and loooooose my soul . . . ) pretty good song :)

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Raven wrote: "ha ha, sandy x)

one song i DO recommend by him though is this: Lose My Soul (I don't wanna gain the whoooooole world, and loooooose my soul . . . )…"

I wanna get lost in your rock and roooooll and drift awaaaaaay…

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethnovak) Lol! My mom thinks Tobymac is to rocky for me so I can't listen to it.

I also like Addison Road and The Kingdom by Caedmon's call

message 11: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Who am I by Casting Crowns is one of my all-time faves.

message 12: by Aoibheann (new)

Aoibheann | 47 comments What about "The Kingdom Of Heaven". It's about the crusade.

message 13: by Aoibheann (new)

Aoibheann | 47 comments Barbara wrote: "i heard 90 minutes in heaven is a good book what ya think?"

I want to try that. God! I wonder what that would be like. I'd be able to see Sona again...

message 14: by Aoibheann (new)

Aoibheann | 47 comments I've never watched that...

message 15: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) I love Facing the Giants! My favorite movie is Amazing Grace. Does anyone else like? ;)

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Aoibheann wrote: "Barbara wrote: "i heard 90 minutes in heaven is a good book what ya think?"

I want to try that. God! I wonder what that would be like. I'd be able to see Sona again..."

Um.

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Pansy wrote: "I love Facing the Giants! My favorite movie is Amazing Grace. Does anyone else like? ;)"

What's it about? I think someone gave that to us, but we haven't seen it. Unless I'm confusing it with something else. :)

message 18: by Laura, I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me . . . (new)

Laura | 136 comments Mod
Pansy wrote: "I love Facing the Giants! My favorite movie is Amazing Grace. Does anyone else like? ;)"

totally! :) good movie.

message 19: by Laura, I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me . . . (last edited Jun 17, 2010 04:58PM) (new)

Laura | 136 comments Mod
you haven't seen it. you sad, strange little man.

:D :D :D

it was us that gave it to you, pretty sure . . .

watch it, little dude! while the acting isn't, like, the best acting ever the movie is VERY good.

message 20: by Sandy (new)

It was a missionary story, right? THAT'S THE ONE I WANTED TO WATCH TWO WEEKS AGO, BUT NOOOOOO, CALVIN INSISTED ON ANOTHER HARRY POTTER!!! SHAMESHAMESHAME!!! xD

message 21: by Laura, I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me . . . (new)

Laura | 136 comments Mod
No, it's not a missionary story. It's a Christian movie about a failing-in-life football coach . . . aaaaaand can't give it away!!!!

message 22: by Sandy (new)

Wait. I've seen a lot of football movies.

message 23: by Laura, I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me . . . (new)

Laura | 136 comments Mod
Was the coach's name Grant Taylor? Was he really one of the brothers that makes these movies? Was there a dead mouse in this movie that caused a bad smell in his and his wife's house? Did his car continually break down?

message 24: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) Are we playing 20 Questions? LOL

message 25: by Laura, I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me . . . (new)

Laura | 136 comments Mod
Ha ha yes! Wanna join? :D

message 26: by Sandy (new)

*Stares at screen* Oh… ah… I know this… AAAAAAAAAAARGH! NO! STOP! TOO MUCH PRESSURE!!!

message 27: by Laura, I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me . . . (new)

Laura | 136 comments Mod
Ha ha ha ha ha xD

message 28: by Sandy (new)

I don't think we watched that, no :)

message 29: by Laura, I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me . . . (new)

Laura | 136 comments Mod
Well you must watch it somtime :) I'm pretty sure we gave it to you . . .

message 30: by Sandy (new)

It does sound familiar!

message 31: by Laura, I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me . . . (last edited Jun 20, 2010 05:00PM) (new)

Laura | 136 comments Mod
I haven't seen it in awhile either, actually . . .

Lolz we all need to just watch it xD

message 32: by Laura, I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me . . . (new)

Laura | 136 comments Mod
no, i'll be nice and tell you :D

"Facing the Giants"

message 33: by Laura, I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me . . . (new)

Laura | 136 comments Mod
:)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments Does Les Mis count as religious music? It's a musical with strong religious themes in it. :D

message 35: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do | 214 comments Moves I like is suspense, horror, but yet christian. And Frank Peritti has turned his books into some moves. Two moves I saw of his is "Visitation" and "Hangman's Curse". The Hangman's Curse is directed towards the teens more then the Visitation. His books deal with Christians having to face spiritual warfare with evil and good.

message 36: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga I love playing Magic the Gathering....does that count???

message 37: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga I am currently reading, Living Buddha, Living Christ by Thich Nhat Hanh. I am thinking of converting to a christian Buddhist.

message 38: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga A Buddhist who is also a christian.

message 39: by austen (new)

austen (oncebef0re) OK, a little more specific? Just wondering...

message 40: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga lol I am trying to figure it out.....rgb said something about Buddhism and I started to research...So far it's everything I believe.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments Girl4beluga wrote: "A Buddhist who is also a christian."

No, you don't say! ;)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments Here's a pretty good explanation of Buddhism:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/bud...

"Core beliefs of Buddhism:

Buddhism, like most of the great religions of the world, is divided into a number of different traditions. However, most traditions share a common set of fundamental beliefs.

One fundamental belief of Buddhism is often referred to as reincarnation -- the concept that people are reborn after dying. In fact, most individuals go through many cycles of birth, living, death and rebirth. A practicing Buddhist differentiates between the concepts of rebirth and reincarnation. In reincarnation, the individual may recur repeatedly. In rebirth, a person does not necessarily return to Earth as the same entity ever again. He compares it to a leaf growing on a tree. When the withering leaf falls off, a new leaf will eventually replace it. It is similar to the old leaf, but it is not identical to the original leaf.

After many such cycles, if a person releases their attachment to desire and the self, they can attain Nirvana. This is a state of liberation and freedom from suffering."

"he Three Trainings or Practices:

These three consist of:

Sila: Virtue, good conduct, morality. This is based on two fundamental principles:

-The principle of equality: that all living entities are equal.

-The principle of reciprocity: This is the "Golden Rule" in Christianity -- to do onto others as you would wish them to do onto you. It is found in all major religions.

Samadhi: Concentration, meditation, mental development. Developing one's mind is the path to wisdom which in turn leads to personal freedom. Mental development also strengthens and controls our mind; this helps us maintain good conduct.

Prajna: Discernment, insight, wisdom, enlightenment. This is the real heart of Buddhism. Wisdom will emerge if your mind is pure and calm."

"The Four Noble Truths:

The Buddha's Four Noble Truths explore human suffering. They may be described (somewhat simplistically) as:

Dukkha: Suffering exists: (Suffering is real and almost universal. Suffering has many causes: loss, sickness, pain, failure, the impermanence of pleasure.)

Samudaya: There is a cause for suffering. (It is the desire to have and control things. It can take many forms: craving of sensual pleasures; the desire for fame; the desire to avoid unpleasant sensations, like fear, anger or jealousy.)

Nirodha: There is an end to suffering. (Suffering ceases with the final liberation of Nirvana (a.k.a. Nibbana). The mind experiences complete freedom, liberation and non-attachment. It lets go of any desire or craving.)

Magga: In order to end suffering, you must follow the Eightfold Path."

"The Five Precepts:

These are rules to live by. They are somewhat analogous to the second half of the Ten Commandments in Judaism and Christianity -- that part of the Decalogue which describes behaviors to avoid. However, they are recommendations, not commandments. Believers are expected to use their own intelligence in deciding exactly how to apply these rules.

Do not kill. This is sometimes translated as "not harming" or an absence of violence.

Do not steal. This is generally interpreted as including the avoidance of fraud and economic exploitation.

Do not lie. This is sometimes interpreted as including name calling, gossip, etc.

Do not misuse sex. For monks and nuns, this means any departure from complete celibacy. For the laity, adultery is forbidden, along with any sexual harassment or exploitation, including that within marriage. The Buddha did not discuss consensual premarital sex within a committed relationship; Thus, Buddhist traditions differ on this. Most Buddhists, probably influenced by their local cultures, condemn same-sex sexual activity regardless of the nature of the relationship between the people involved.

Do not consume alcohol or other drugs. The main concern here is that intoxicants cloud the mind. Some have included as a drug other methods of divorcing ourselves from reality -- e.g. movies, television, the Internet. "

"The Eightfold Path:

The Buddha's Eightfold Path consists of:

Panna: Discernment, wisdom:
1) Samma ditthi Right Understanding of the Four Noble Truths
2) Samma sankappa: Right thinking; following the right path in life

Sila: Virtue, morality:
3) Samma vaca: Right speech: no lying, criticism, condemning, gossip, harsh language
4) Samma kammanta Right conduct by following the Five Precepts
5) Samma ajiva: Right livelihood; support yourself without harming others

Samadhi: Concentration, meditation:
6) Samma vayama Right Effort: promote good thoughts; conquer evil thoughts
7) Samma sati Right Mindfulness: Become aware of your body, mind and feelings
8) Samma samadhi Right Concentration: Meditate to achieve a higher state of consciousness"

I would assume that a Christian Buddhist combines Christian beliefs with these principles.

message 43: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga Buddha isn't God he is just the first one to reach full enlightenment (I think).

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments which is???

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments and how do you convert to something anyway- is there a special ceremony?

message 46: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga i don't know it depends

message 47: by Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (last edited Sep 05, 2010 06:44AM) (new)

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments I like the way Doctor Who portrays religion theology. It sort of teeters in between very loose theism and agnosticism, implying that there might just be something else out there, but maybe not. Like when the Doctor faced a creature claiming to be Satan, and this creature gave some pretty good arguments showing its Satanic-ness, but it very well could've been lying. All in all, though, the moral of the story seemed to be that, whether the Devil is real or not, the only thing that really matters is our own actions. And then it implies that there might be some sort of afterlife when the girl who had been dead several minutes lit up all the Gelth and saved the world.

Having seen the pilot episode of Torchwood, I'm not a big fan of the "this is it" worldview. I like the "maybe, maybe not" worldview in my fiction. Or the "there is more than this" worldview. Either of those is fine, though I usually prefer the former.

In terms of Stephen King, I've only read The Stand, and if I remember correctly, the case in that book wasn't so much that a "magic man" never came, but came much too late. :P

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 200 comments I'll be sure to do that eventually. Ah, so many books to read. It's better than there being too few books, though, eh?

WATCH IT! THIS IS AN ORDER!

What about Harry Potter or Percy Jackson and the Olympians?

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

to save a life is a great movie its a christian movie and is realy good!!

message 50: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga Love the name :-)

« previous 1