Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Archived Threads > The Hot Topic in Hollywood: Gabourey Sidibe

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Mar 16, 2010 09:55PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Hi All,

Let's talk about Gabourey Sidibe. For those who don't know, she's the young black actress who stole the show at this year's Oscars. She starred in Precious, based on the novel Push.

I haven't seen Precious or read Push but from the scenes I've seen, I think Gabourey's a wonderful actress. Lately I've been doing research on her because I find her so interesting. It's about time a woman who doesn't look like she's been carved with a knife graces a movie screen.

But, yes the burning question is, will Gabourey continue to have a postering career in film? She's already scored a role on a Showtime or is it HBO, show and she's set to be in another movie soon. Some people, especially Howard Stern feel that even though this is 2010, Hollywood isn't ready to embrace a large woman of color no matter how good she can act. Others, believe her talent can win out and that people might start crafting roles specifically for her.

I'd love it if Gabourey continues to turn heads and I hope she doesn't change just to fit a mode that people expect her to be. In my heart, I am still not sure if Hollywood is ready and that's very sad to say. I don't know if Hollywood will ever embrace a large dramatic actress. It's different for Mo'Nique, Roseanne, Camryn Manhaim, Queen Latifah, etc. They all got the bud of "fat" jokes but still they started out in comedic, light television roles. Gabourey would be one of few women of her size to be in feature films. Will this continue?

Hollywood and the media doesn't descriminate when it comes to weight. They have turned on some of the biggest names because of weight gain. Jessica Simpson has gone through hell and back. She was seen as the face of beauty until she gained weight and now she's punch line. Kirstie Alley was one of the most treasured actresses of the eighties, she gained weight and people shunned her like she commited a crime. Britney Spears was the talk of the town for years then she gained a few pounds and she was seen as the worst person in the world. And let's not forget when Tyra Banks gained weight or when Janet Jackson gained weight and people talked about them like they were the most disgusting looking women on the planet. I don't get it.

Even though I hope Gabby sticks around, I don't want her to just "be" in films. I think she deserves decent roles. I hope she doesn't have to settle for stereotypical roles like the "fat friend", or the "low-self esteem teenager" or "the woman the husband cheats on because she's fat" character like Jill Scott on Why Did We Get Married. The truth is, Ms. Sidibe has more confidence than a lot of women, skinny or large. I think we can take a lesson from her.

While I want her to continue to strive, I honestly don't know if Hollywood will let her. Some say she's a One Hit Wonder waiting to happen, like the large girl from the Hairspray remake. Are we fooling ourselves to dream that Gabby will remain on the A list, or do you think she'll drift off into obscurity? Worse than that, do you feel she'll change herself to meet Hollywood's image of what an actress should be?

If she does change, I hope it's because she wants to and not for anyone else. I admire Ms. Sidibe. I hope we see more of her.

What do you all think? Can Gabby become a big name in Hollywood? Is it possible?

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 2: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6617 comments Mod
I don't think that Gabourey will get leading roles, unless it's a Tyler Perry Movie.

I never seen Precious and don't want to see it. I heard it has a lot of cussing in it and that's not my cup of tea.

I could be wrong, but I think will we see a thinner Gabourey in the near future.

I don't know if you have noticed this, but a lot of black famous people are all of a sudden getting smaller.

Is it for their health or hollywood?

Mo'nique. She says her husband wanted her to lose weight for her health.

Queen Latifah. Wasn't she doing Jenny Craig or one of those diets.

Randy Jackson

Star Jones

Forest Whitaker

James Avery

I'm sure there's more that I don't even know of.

Gabourey may get other roles for big women. Most like it secondary roles.

She might can play a true story about a big woman.

I hope she stays grounded.

message 3: by A.M. (new)

A.M. | 349 comments I have not seen nor to I care ever watch the movie Precious.

I have seen Gabby on tv and interviews and she does come across as confident and happy with who she is as a person. But here's the reality, she will never achieve the level of stardom or play leading lady roles not in industry that is obsessed with beauty and perfection of leading ladies.

If you think about it even Halle Berry has not had the success or roles that her contemporaries have had since winning an Oscar.

She may get roles in Indy films or Tyler Perry movies, but tinsel town will never open there arms to her. Unless she does conform by losing the weight to their ideal and even that's no guarantee.

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
I hate to be negative, but I'd have to agree with some of what was said. Holly is very superficial. I doubt there will be very many signficant roles coming her way. But I think she'll get smaller roles, and she can build a decent career in indie films, as has been mentioned. She'll have to be careful to avoid the stereotyped roles trap.

message 5: by Yolonda (last edited Mar 17, 2010 07:29AM) (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments Hollywood is hard for black actresses in the first place. Even if Gabby lost 200 lbs she'll still have a hard time getting quality roles. Look at Gabrielle Union, Halle Berry, Kerry Washington...etc. You don't see them constantly like you see their white counterparts. The only currently popular black actress actually getting cast in big movies is Zoe Saldana and she's a size zero.

message 6: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Yep, seems like everyone is on the same page with this one, LOL!

Another thing about Gabby (and we know this is a factor), is that she is a very dark-skinned lady and that's another thing that Hollywood and other aspects of the media don't focus on.)

Who knows, maybe Gabby might prove all us wrong who knows. Look at Oprah, she tried to have a movie career when she first came out, couldn't do it but look what was in store for her, she became the biggest talk show host in history. I bet she never once thought fate had something so amazing in store. She probably never thought she'd be one of the richest people in the world. Wow. Just goes to show that we never know how fate will work in our lives. Never know what's in store for us so we should take advantage of what life has to offer, LOL! That's my take on it.

Gabby seems cool. I don't want to see Precious either because it reminds me of The Color Purple, which I loved but I don't wanna see a movie about abuse. At least not now. I've known people who've gone through this stuff as kids and it's heart wrenching.

message 7: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Mar 17, 2010 10:27AM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Loni brought up something about blacks in Hollywood.

I'm gonna be real with this one. This is how I feel and I know some others agree:

Blacks not making it in Hollywood, they need to stop playing the blame game and I'll tell you what the problem is, but first my thoughts on the actresses Loni named.

GABRIELLE UNION is one of my favorite actresses! LOL!

Kerry Washington? (I always hear her name but I do not know her. Maybe I'll know her face but she's not famous I guess. I don't know her by name to match her face though a few people mention her. What was she on?)

Halle Berry's not getting roles? (Forgive me for this). Good. She's spewed her horrible acting on us long enough, LOL! And that Oscar she won was a sham to me. Come on, but I won't get into it.

I believe out everyone Loni listed, Gabrielle Union and Zoe will be the only ones who continue to get feature films. I don't even know this Kerry chick (someone refresh my memory), and I think Halle's "power" has faded. Let's be honest, it was always just looks with Halle and now she's past 40 and you know how Hollywood treats older actresses.

Yes, I love Zoe and Gabby Union! I am a BIG Gabby Union fan. She's a great actress and she's so pretty. I like Sanaa Lathan too.

Now here is my take on this Black and Hollywood drama that always goes on. I say first, they need to quit whining! The only way the treatment of blacks in Hollywood will change is if blacks MAKE it change. I blame us for this partly as I do in the book industry. I think too many blacks don't branch out. Most black actors and actresses don't even try out for roles in "mainstream" films, they only stick to black movies. You can't become large or famous until you crossover and that happes in any industry. A lot of blacks stick themselves in the corner and it's their own mentality. Some don't wanna branch out because they don't feel comfortable. Look at the biggest black and Latino stars from generations before and now. They all crossed over to mainstream and branched out. Blacks (I don't get it about some of us), want to stay in the same, thing over and over.

I've seen many interviews with some of these actors and actresses, you can tell they don't ever try to go into different stuff. Gabrielle Union and Zoe Saldana do. They take different roles. You don't see Gabrielle in just black movies. In fact she rarely does a "black" film. She does a lot on television. Zoe, she's taking roles white actresses want! That's how blacks have to be and I blame the ones who don't try to do something other than stay in that box.

Back in the 40's, 50's fine, yeah, you couldn't blame blacks because they HAD to only take those roles and they couldn't crossover. But today, it's not excuse. So if a black actor or actress feels "limited" maybe they need to reevaluate themselves and see why. The bottom line is you cannot become a hit until you crossover to all audiences. You also won't ever become a famous actor just starring in films by black directors or black films, ONLY. Branch out!

Look at all the black stars that crossover in roles. Sure, they might not all be FAMOUS in some folks' eyes, but they crossoved over at some point and they did different things.

Denzel Washington
Cuba Gooding Jr.
Martin Lawrence (yep even militant Martin Lawrence crossed LOL!)
Chris Rock
Regina King
Nia Long
Wesley Snipes
Don Cheadle
Robin Givens
Alfred Woodard
CCH Pounder
Anthony Anderson
Larenz Tate
Terrence Howard
Vivica A. Fox
Will Smith
Jada Pinkett
Samuel L. Jackson
Lawrence Fishburne

As for Latinos:

Jennifer Lopez
Eva Longoria
Eva Mendes
Jimmy Smitts

There are many others of course but you guys get the picture. These folks take different types of roles. They don't just stick with the same stereotypical roles. They get roles that could be for a person of color or not. As for music, the biggest black folks in music today wouldn't be who they are if they hadn't crossed over.

I am not a Beyonce' fan but look at her. What made Beyonce different from others? She crossedover, that's it. That's why Brandy used to be so big. She crossover too. Compare Beyonce to Keyshia Cole, Faith Evans or other singers who might have tons of more talent but will never be on Beyonce's level of stardom because what, they didn't crossover.

Queen Latifah was a famous rapper BUT wasn't well known until she crossover with the films she made. QL didn't just stick to "black" films. She did all types of films and that's how the Queen grew. The same with Jay-Z, one of few rappers to crossover and become popular with mainstream audiences. LL. Cool J. crossed but not until he became an "actor".

It's the same with books. That's why I tell new black writers to write different. Don't just write for one audience. Get your work out there and have it read by everyone.

So, apart from the weight issue, I don't blame Hollywood if blacks aren't going out there for different roles. There are some pretty black women out there, prettier than Zoe but they don't go out for them types of roles. You see them stuck in the same old thing and I think blacks use this attitude as a crutch. I think too many are scared to branch out.

That's why they lack in Hollywood. It's not all Hollywood's fault. We need to get blacks out of that "stuck in the box" mentality. So many whine about being discriminated against right, but yet they separate themselves. Please.

As for Tyler Perry, I have much respect for what he's accomplished but if black actors and actresses rely only on him, they aren't going nowhere. Tyler Perry films, the same thing. They might be nice films but can we please have one from him that's different? There are many black directors who direct different kinds of films.

Bottom line is, to be famous, your butt has to crossover and if it doesn't, that might be why the roles seem limited to "certain" folks.

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 8: by Arch , Mod (new)

Kerry Washington played in Lakeview Terrace with Samuel L. Jackson.

She also played in a comedy show with Chris Rock. I can't think of the name. He played a married man and she was seducing him.

I like Halle.

If Jennifer Aniston can get roles, Halle should be able to get roles. They are both in their 40's.

Halle is on a different level than Gabriel and Zoe.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I love Halle's acting, personally. But more or less, I agree with what has been said. I do feel that there is a glass ceiling for Blacks in Holly. I think there are some roles that are closed to Blacks, even if they do try to campaign and audition, and go out of the box.

I have some issues with Tyler Perry's oversimplistic, caricature-inhabited stories. I think he directs and writes his movies the same way as stage productions, and movies are very different. The action is more understated and natural. In his movies, I feel that the actors (even good ones) are overacting. I think his stories are inhabited by PSA (public service announcements). It's insulting to be preached to constantly, which is how I feel when I watch his stories. His characters are either really good or really bad. Not a lot of subtlety in his stories. I am happy that he is opening doors for Black storytelling in Holly. I wish he'd do a better job at it, or sponsor some filmmakers who have something different to say than him.

message 10: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments Kerry Washington played The Thing's blind girlfriend in The Fantastic Four. She was also in I Think I Love My Wife, Ray, Mr & Mrs Smith and The Last King of Scotland. She's been in a lot of different movies.

message 11: by Yolonda (last edited Mar 17, 2010 01:16PM) (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments It's all about the benjamins and race is still a factor even in liberal hollywood, although it seems that the men have it somewhat easier than the women.

message 12: by Arch , Mod (new)

I think the black men get roles faster than the women.

message 13: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments Have you noticed that Lee Daniels doesn't get much acknowledgement in Hollywood, but at least two of his movies produced oscar winning performances? What's the man gotta do to get some respect? Yes he was finally nominated for Best Director, but the media only focused on James Cameron & Kate Bigelow. You would have thought the other directors in the category didn't warrant any mention.

Now I must admit that I have never watched Monster's Ball in its entirety. And I probably won't watch Precious because I'm not into depressing movies regardless of the actors. I'm an action, thriller, comedy kind of girl. I'm more about the type of movie rather than the people in them...for the most part anyway.

I got tricked into going to see Brooklyn's Finest and I'm still mad about that. Darn it.

message 14: by Arch , Mod (new)

I'm like you Loni, i like comedy movies. The funnier the better.

I like a good suspense movie. Even action.

I like to watch movies that make you talk to the characters.

message 15: by Davina (last edited Mar 18, 2010 03:39PM) (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments No, I don't think she will make any significant gains.

The first reason is as someone before me said, even when you're an Oscar winning actress like Halle Berry you don't get same opportunities as your white counterparts. Some people will water it down to Berry's poor choice in roles, but look at all those who have gone before and after her. Angela Bassett has pretty much faded into oblivion. Her family tragedies aside, Jennifer Hudson hasn't had many meaningful offers come her way since she won. With the exception of Bees, the same goes for QL. What about Taraji P. Henson, a year after she was nominated for her role in Button? What about Jada Pinkett Smith, when was the last time she landed a really good role? It's unfortunate, but a year from now its also very unlikely anyone outside of her usual niche will see or hear much from Monique. The odds are just not in a black actress's favour.

The second reason is Gabby's weight and colouring. I'm not saying she can't get beyond that. If Queen Latifah can then I'm sure Gabby with her bubbly personality can, but it will be an uphill battle. She most definitely will not be playing anyone's love interest anytime soon.

I also must say that I don't agree that black actors don't want to cross over. In fact, I think the professional strategies of many black actors are similar to those of our President. They don't want to come across as too "black". That's why some will never do a Tyler Perry movie or something similar. Will Smith and Halle Berry might have done it in the past, but they won't do it now. I can't see Kerry Washington with her so-called "white mannerisms" doing it.

In fact, even those actors who do Tyler Perry movies do it mainly for the pay check imo, not necessarily because this will add any boost to their careers. They know that, but actors have to eat too so they bite the bullet and do it.

Here in NY, I know so many black actors who WANT to do the mainstream roles and who get sent out on these auditions by their management, but they never get the part. Why? Because most roles are not written with blacks in mind and the number of directors who are willing to adapt roles to suit black actors (Halle Berry in Things We Lost In The Fire and Will Smith in Hancock/Hitch/I am Legend) are miniscule. Furthermore, those who are willing, are only interested in doing so for the big names, not the up and comers.

For minorities, Hollywood is a city of labels. You want to be very careful of the type of roles you accept lest you get tagged as the "black" actress who is only associated with "black" movies. I think that's what has gotten Gabriel Union and many others. I certainly don't think if these actors are offered mainstream roles like those of Kerry Washington and Halle Berry, they'll turn them down.

Aside from Lee Daniels, Spike Lee, J.Gary Gray(?) and the odd few other black directors who have nurtured cross over stars, most black productions are seen as catering to a niche. Thus if a black actor's tendency is to constantly play in these type of movies, they get labelled as being too "black", someone who white people won't be able to "relate" to. It's complete BS, but this is how these people think.

You have actors like Washingston and Smith who are seen as complimentary "whites" so casting directors might remember and consider them for roles. Halle and Zaldana will appeal because of their subtle Aryan features. Why do you think Beyonce is bigger than her cousin (I don't know her name) who is a better singer and performer? Because Beyonce's "blackness" is not so scary and up in your face. She's light skinned, she walks around in blond, flowing wigs, her husband is adored by white teenage boys like my son.

Even Denzel Washington has suffered from this bias. He's what I call a leading character actor. Aside from Training Day, most of the roles he plays are the same: strong, black man -- usually someone in law enforcement -- trying to make it. But what does it matter, at least he's working and have some artistic input on many of his films.

The thing is black actors have to be proactive in how they gain mainstream roles. An actor friend of mine here in NY told me that a lot of her colleagues approach their agents and managers about sending them on auditions for roles they've found out about through their networks. That is to say, the agent/manager either didn't hear about the pre-production plans for a particular project or it didn't occur to them to recommend their black clients for an audition. I heard that's partly how Zaldana landed her role in Avatar and partly because of "positive" association.

Its really unfair that black actors have to jump through all these hoops just to find decent work, but that's unfortunately their lot in this business.

Particularly for (black) women it is a real uphill battle. Hollywood is basically a fantasy play ground for men. A place where they can manifest the ideals they miss from their every day lives. Thus in an environment like this, no wonder there aren't many meaningful roles for women, all women.

message 16: by Davina (last edited Mar 18, 2010 02:57PM) (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments The Academy of Motion Pictures or whatever they call themselves is a highly politicised unit.

It was simply the year of the woman.

I'm always pleased to see when women make strides, especially in male dominated environments, but when she is given accolades merely because of her sex, I find it highly offensive.

That's the reason I hate female pandering in books and always speak vocally against it. It's not empowering by any means. It's patronising and insulting because it teems with the absurd notion that we're these perpetual victims who have to be acknowledged because of our victimhood, not our merits.

When it comes to the arts, let our journeys and talents talk for themselves.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Katherine Bigelow doesn't deserve her win. I simply don't know because I haven't yet seen the Hurt Locker. I've seen Avatar (finally!) and visually it was amazing. The Hurt Locker has received very mixed reviews both from people I know in the industry and professional reviewers about its worthiness for getting the 2 most important statues of the night.

I personally will reserve judgment until I've seen the film for myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if it all turns out to be true. When it comes to minorities and women, Hollywood is known to pull stunts like that. While some of us may disagree, I strongly believe this was how Berry got her gong in 2005.

What I do know is that Avatar is a spectacular artist's dream. Cameron certainly deserved his nom. Whether he deserved to win, I don't know. I will have to watch The Hurt Locker first in order to decide. There have been times when I have agreed with the academy against the odds. That's not unheard of. We'll see if that turns out to be the case in this regard.

With homosexuality riding the tide to the mainstream, I'm sure its not too long before its the year of the gays in Hollywood.

James Cameron and Lee Daniels were my favourites to win this year. It's infuriating to think that they both were overlooked to give a likely patronising nod to the little woman, but will probably be honoured another year when someone else would probably be more deserving.

message 17: by Arch , Mod (new)

Davina wrote:"I can't see Kerry Washington with her so-called "white mannerisms" doing it."

Please explain this statement.

message 18: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments A lot of people say Washington "act" white (whatever that means) don't they. That's what the statement means.

message 19: by Arch , Mod (new)

Davina wrote: "A lot of people say Washington "act" white (whatever that means) don't they. That's what the statement means."

I never heard anyone say that Kerry act white, which she can't act white, because there no such thing as white.

message 20: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments Oh I've heard people say that all the time. I've also heard people hating on her because she prefers to date white guys. Lately, the acting white label came from that idiot John Mayer. This isn't exactly news.

message 21: by Arch , Mod (new)

Davina wrote: "Oh I've heard people say that all the time. I've also heard people hating on her because she prefers to date white guys. Lately, the acting white label came from that idiot John Mayer. This isn't e..."

John needs to leave Kerry alone. He can't even explain what acting white is.

If Kerry prefers to date white guys, people should leave her alone. She doesn't have to be with a black man, because they want her too.

She has a right to have a preference, it doesn't mean she hates black men.

message 22: by Tina (new)

Tina | 22 comments I have to agree with what everyone has said. But I think the picture is even bleaker than some are saying here. Of black actresses, Zoe Saldana is the current 'IT' girl of the moment and she even says that when she goes to read she still gets the 'We are going more traditional' which is code for 'we want a white girl'.

Of all the actress names we are bandying about, Zoe, Kerry Washington, Queen Latifah and Thandie Newton are probably the ones with most leverage. They are the only ones (besides Halle) who actually have several films in pre or post production.

Queen Latifah might actually have an edge because she has proven she can do musicals, drama and comedy.

Unfortunately, I don't think Gabby Union, Sanaa Lathan or Nia Long will have many opportunities left. They compete for too many of the same roles because they are seen as the same 'type'.

Gabby's last major film role was in a Tyler Perry movie three years ago. She's been in a string of canceled tv shows since then. Right now she's got a nice role in Flash Forward but that show is on the cusp of possibly being canceled as well. Unless she can get a good film role in the very near future or get in on the ground floor of a successful tv show, I think her prime is past.

Nia is in the same boat. Her last major film was Are We There Yet three years ago. And like Gabby, she's been doing mostly tv. Can I say, though, how thoroughly upset I was when they cancelled her show Big Shots? She and Michael Vartan has some hella chemistry!

As for Gabby Sidibe, I have to agree that she will not get more leading roles. She may get films but they will be niche roles. Although I do know that the producers of Modern Family really want her for a few episodes and I love that show like Spanx!

My personal wish list of black actresses I would love to see more of includes:
Jurnee Smollet
Taraji Henson
Paula Patton
Tasha Smith
Kandyse McClure
Naomie Harris
Freema Agyeman

message 23: by Arch , Mod (new)

Tina,

What Tyler Perry film was Gabby in?

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Tina, I love your hot list. Freema is adorable. She rocked as Martha!!! Paula's preggers? Cool.

message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Yay!!! Good news!

message 26: by Tina (new)

Tina | 22 comments Arch wrote: "Tina,

What Tyler Perry film was Gabby in?"

Hey Arch, it was Daddy's Little Girls the one where she played a hot shot lawyer and Idris Elba (so fine!!) played a blue collar father who was trying to get custody of his daughters.

And strangely enough, I think Sanaa Lathan's last film was a Tyler Perry movie, The Family That Preys where she played a Hot Shot corporate exec who was cheating on her blue collar black husband with her white lover. Soapy goodness!

message 27: by Arch , Mod (new)

Tina wrote: "Hey Arch, it was Daddy's Little Girls the one where she played a hot shot lawyer and Idris Elba (so fine!!) played a blue collar father who was trying to get custody of his daughters.

And strangely enough, I think Sanaa Lathan's last film was a Tyler Perry movie, The Family That Preys where she played a Hot Shot corporate exec who was cheating on her blue collar black husband with her white lover. Soapy goodness!"

Oh yeah Tina. I forgot about Daddy's Little Girl. I didn't really watch that movie.

I am not a Tyler Perry fan, so I don't really watch his movies.

I have recorded The Family That Preys a couple of weeks ago, to observe it.

message 28: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

I had to watch Daddy's Little Girls because of Idris. I didn't like GU's character at all.

My family are big TP fans. I'm the only one who doesn't appreciate him. I am often a captive audience when his movies come on at dinner time.

message 29: by Arch , Mod (new)

Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I had to watch Daddy's Little Girls because of Idris. I didn't like GU's character at all.

My family are big TP fans. I'm the only one who doesn't appreciate him. I am often a captive audience..."

Why did I get married will be playing this weekend on TNT. Starting tonight.

message 30: by Tina (new)

Tina | 22 comments I am not a TP fan either. I think he has no subtlety whatsoever and I am a big fan of undertones. But I appreciate that he is managing to make films that actually make money on his own terms so he can't be ignored by mainstream H-Wood no matter how much they may deplore him or his audience. I totally respect that.

I have only watched, I think three of his movies. The acting in Why did I get Married transcends the writing. Especially Jill Scott and Tasha Smith. And I do think The Family That Preys shows some really writing maturation on his part. It is still overly reliant on the 'Grand Confrontation' which he seems to adore, but the parts with Alfre Woodard and Kathy Bates were quite good (of course that could be the calibre of the actors and not the material again).

message 31: by Arch , Mod (new)

Tina wrote: "I am not a TP fan either. I think he has no subtlety whatsoever and I am a big fan of undertones. But I appreciate that he is managing to make films that actually make money on his own terms so h..."

Wasn't Kathy Bates in Stephen King's Misery?

message 32: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Yup, Arch. She was in Misery. Also Dolores Claiborne, which is an interesting movie.

I thought Daddy's Little Girls was decent (minus my TP issues). Meet the Browns was pretty bad, IMO. I love Angela Bassett, but she was horribly miscast in that movie. I haven't watched Family That Preys. What I saw of Why Did I Get Married, I thought that Janet Jackson was overacting. Some of the male actors as well. Tasha and Jill were good. Sharon Leal didn't bother me with her acting.

message 33: by Arch , Mod (new)

I didn't see Meet The Browns from the beginning.Both times I've caught it, I've caught the part where Angela's character was at the house getting to know her family for the first time.

I agree with you Danielle that Meet The Browns was horrible. Angela didn't look right in that part.

The Family That Preys. I have only seen a few minutes of it and I did record it, because, well, I will write about what it.

I think that a lot of people were dying to see Why Did I Get Married to see Janet Jackson. Her acting was poor. I think all the acting was poor.

I think that part 2 will be poor as well.

message 34: by Yolonda (last edited Mar 19, 2010 04:35PM) (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments I liked Why Did I Get Married simply because of Tasha Smith and Jill Scott. That dinner scene will always have me cracking up.

I think Why Did I Get Married Too is about to come out.

message 35: by Arch , Mod (new)

Loni wrote: "I liked Why Did I Get Married simply because of Tasha Smith and Jill Scott. That dinner scene will always have be cracking up.

I think Why Did I Get Married Too is about to come out."

I think Why Did I Get Married Too is coming out in June. At least that's what the women at work says, but I thought it was this month.

message 36: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments It's coming out April 2nd.

message 37: by Arch , Mod (last edited Mar 19, 2010 03:57PM) (new)

Loni wrote: "It's coming out April 2nd."

Okay. I knew it was closer than June.

I have to say, I found it strange in a way that Jill's character and her husband would be going through in part 2, when she had gone through with her first husband and found a better man.

Who's the woman in part 2 wondering "Why Did She Get Married"?

message 38: by Yolonda (new)

Yolonda | 406 comments I'm not sure. The previews look like they all are having major issues...especially Janet. Didn't she film this around the time of Michael's death?

message 39: by Tina (new)

Tina | 22 comments LOL. It was the dinner scene that made me fall in love with Tasha Smith. She owned that scene.

message 40: by Arch , Mod (new)

Tina wrote: "LOL. It was the dinner scene that made me fall in love with Tasha Smith. She owned that scene."

She kind of remind me of Khandi Alexander.

message 41: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments Yeah, me too, Arch. They look alike and they are two actresses that I really like and wish to see more of.

I also love Anika Noni(?) Rose. She's princess Tiana in Alice in Wonderland, I think. I see her all the time in NYC. What a lovely woman.

message 42: by Arch , Mod (new)

I miss seeing Khandi on CSI Miami.

Tasha has an identical twin sister name Sidra.

message 43: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 796 comments No way! She's a twin? That's amazing. I love twins. When I first got pregnant I prayed for twins. That way I'd have two kids that look alike and I could have both of them in one go! Fate had its own idea, though. Doesn't it always...lol

Anyway, that's interesting news, that she has a twin. Never would have guessed.

message 44: by Arch , Mod (last edited Mar 20, 2010 08:50PM) (new)

You can see a picture of Tasha and Sidra here.

Sidra is sporting a very short hair cut style. In some pictures, she's bald.

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/8023...