THE Group for Authors! discussion

Start Here > Welcome

Comments Showing 1-50 of 289 (289 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Welcome to the Goodreads Author Feedback Group! This is the place to discuss anything related to your activity on Goodreads as an author. As it says in the description, non-authors are welcome, too, but please stick to your interactions with authors or features you think would be useful that relate to authors.

I can't wait to hear everybody's feedback.

message 2: by Connie (new)

Connie Armstrong (AnneMarieArmstrongauthor) | 1 comments Just making my first post to this group. I'm new at this so be patient with me. What type of stuff do we talk about here? I know I want to say something about some books I've ordered from Turnstone Press in Winnipeg. I am actively trying to get my novel published and, being very patriotic, want to publish in Canada and preferably, Manitoba. Which brought me to Turnstone. My question? These books are really good so why has no one heard much about them and why were they so hard for my Librarian to get them in through the inter-library loan system? I want my novel to be marketed well and I want people to know it's out there? Anyway, that's my question.
AnneMarie

message 3: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 86 comments AnneMarie,

Have you discovered the GoodReads giveaway program? It is absolutely incredible (and free to you apart from the cost of the book you give away and the postage to mail it to your winning reader.)

You can choose whether to offer your giveaway only in the USA, or in the USA and Canada, or everywhere.

Patrick just enlightened me about the advertising program, too.

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments AnneMarie wrote: "Just making my first post to this group. I'm new at this so be patient with me. What type of stuff do we talk about here? I know I want to say something about some books I've ordered from Turnst..."

Hi AnneMarie,

Welcome to the group. In general, this group is for authors to discuss their experiences using Goodreads, though we will sometimes veer off to discuss marketing books online (beyond Goodreads). Any question you have about the site is welcome, as are comments about what you find has worked for you as a writer and what you wish the site did better.

Good for you for wanting to publish with a local press. I think small presses are terrific, and are often better champions of local literature than their more corporate brethren. That being said, I wonder if this press is so small that it offers its books through a print-on-demand set-up. While print-on-demand is an exciting technology that represents a possible future for the industry as a whole, it is still somewhat difficult to find print-on-demand books in traditional brick and mortar outlets like bookstores and libraries. You may want to check and see if this publisher works with a distributor such as SPD, Consortium or Publishers Group West. Find out if they buy Bowker-assigned ISBNs for their books (without that you won't be able to sell in most bookstores). Lastly, find out what their strategy is for ebooks and for marketing and selling your books online. If they don't have a good strategy, they might not be around too much longer.

Those are my quick suggestions. Anyway, enjoy the group!

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon_michaelsen) | 14 comments Patrick - can you please advise what processes are in place to ensure there are no pirated ebooks uploaded and/or links to pirate sites? In perusing Goodreads, I've noted some links of concern - though none of my ebooks are pirated on this site - but I'm an advocate in fighting such. Thanks!

message 6: by rivka (new)

rivka | 562 comments Please flag any posts with links to pirated ebooks, and send information any uploaded ebooks that appear problematic to support AT goodreads DOT com.

message 7: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon_michaelsen) | 14 comments Thanks - will do!

message 8: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 86 comments Jon,

I'm glad you asked that. I, too, noticed a couple of Ebook group descriptions that I feel could easily be misunderstood (and taken as encouragement to join for the purposes of sharing ebooks).

message 9: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon_michaelsen) | 14 comments Rowena - I'll send those I've suspected to Patrick/Rivka and other moderators; I'm glad they are willing to take a stand to fight piracy of copyrighted material.

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ellis | 1 comments Hi Patrick and new friends! Waving Howdy to you from my top porch deck in Texas. :)
Sharon Roni Ellis

message 11: by Pattimaris1675 (new)

Pattimaris1675 Aolcom | 4 comments Hello Sharon,
Pattimari

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Duck (PhillipThomasDuck) | 1 comments Hello fellow authors! Thought this might be a good group to join to get advice, I've just launched my first ebook almost a week ago. Slightly frustrating results already LOL. Hope I can get some advice in here to help!

message 13: by Pattimaris1675 (new)

Pattimaris1675 Aolcom | 4 comments Welcome!

message 14: by Pattimaris1675 (new)

Pattimaris1675 Aolcom | 4 comments Welcome Diane!

message 15: by Eric (new)

Eric Wright | 68 comments I've just joined Goodreads and as such am quite a newbie to the whole networking thing. It will take me a while navigate around the site. In an earlier post on this site I saw a note from someone publishing in Winnipeg. That's where my last book was published and they've done a better job than most.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Everyone,
My name is Karen and I too am a newbe on Goodreads, I too look forward to interacting and chatting with all of you. I'm sure I am going to learn alot being on here.

Until next time,
take care,
Karen

message 17: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Michael wrote: "Hi my name is Michael Robb, I have a few books in the DTP format on Amazon. I wont plug them here because I dont want to offend anyone.... But i do have some Questions:
1.) Who would I contact ..."

Hi Michael,

To answer your questions...

1. We don't really encourage you to ask around for people to review your book. The best way to get reviews is to host a giveaway.
http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/new
That way people can give your book a try if they feel like it. In general, we do not advise messaging or otherwise contacting people based solely on the genres they read, etc. It's fine to ask them to be your friend, but don't go in for the direct sale right away.
2. There are a ton of YA, fantasy and horror forums on the site, and I encourage you to join any that seem interesting. Just be sure to obey the rules of the group (ie, if they request that you not post about your book, please respect that).
3. As you may have already discovered, we don't have a great way of dealing with author aliases. What we generally recommend is claiming one as your main author profile (which you have, I think) and then linking to your other profiles from your "author bio" section ("I also write epic fantasy as Michael Robb," etc.). I hope that makes sense, but if not, feel free to respond.

Welcome to the group!

message 18: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Stone (jodistone) | 1 comments Hi, my name is Jodi Stone and I am a newly published author. After about ten years of rejection letters, I was finally accepted to be published and have had a lot of success so far...six articles in the past three months and two childrens books. I am finally fulfilling my dream and hope to keep growing as an author. I joined this site to connect with other authors and those who love the written word as much as I. I look forward to the site.

message 19: by Eric (new)

Eric Wright | 68 comments Congratulations Jodi! Well done to persevere. I've found that persistence and perseverance win the day.

message 20: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 17 comments Hi, this site is a great place, and well run, kudos to the organizers.

I have two questions:

The first: Why does my author dashboard page sporatically drop 2 full pages of my listed books? Periodically it is complete (at 4 pages) then it truncates itself to two pages (this has been the case for some time)

The second: although I am legitimately the collaborator with another author of 3 titles, (we are listed alphabetically) and those books do appear on my dashboard, I get a 'not permitted to access' the stats on those titles - even though I am the only one (of the pair of us) in the GR author's program.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, and the convenience of those in charge - thanks!

message 21: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Janny wrote: "Hi, this site is a great place, and well run, kudos to the organizers.

I have two questions:

The first: Why does my author dashboard page sporatically drop 2 full pages of my listed books? Period..."

You probably can't edit those books to which you are a contributor because you aren't listed as the primary author and the primary author is a Goodreads Author (once a book has been claimed by a Goodreads Author, that author is the only one who can edit it). It's an inconvenience in this case, but there's not much we can do with it (Unless you believe you should be the primary author).

The Author Dashboard thing is odd. I'm going to check it out, as it sounds like a bug.

message 22: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 17 comments Patrick wrote: "Janny wrote: "Hi, this site is a great place, and well run, kudos to the organizers.

I have two questions:

The first: Why does my author dashboard page sporatically drop 2 full pages of my listed..."

Wow, thanks for your quick response.

The other collaborator is not registered in the GoodReads author program, therefore I would be the only presence. His name is listed first, alphabetically.

The books are listed on my page, but access is blocked.

message 23: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Janny wrote: "Patrick wrote: "Janny wrote: "Hi, this site is a great place, and well run, kudos to the organizers.

I have two questions:

The first: Why does my author dashboard page sporatically drop 2 full pa..."

Well, that' doesn't seem right. You should be able to have access to those stats. I just added a ticket to change how that works, so check back in a few days.

message 24: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 17 comments Thank you so much, Patrick.

message 25: by Jorge (new)

Jorge Candeias | 5 comments Just to add my presumably useful two cents, a few days ago I tried to access the stats of one of the books I translated and couldn't. I thought it was a feature, so I just shrugged, but now I see it may be a bug so here I am, reporting. The author is not on Goodreads at all.

message 26: by Libby (new)

Libby | 3 comments A question about the GiveAway program:

The rules say readers are encouraged, but not required to write a review of the giveaway book. However, giving a book away, whether an ARC or a finished copy, can be a significant expense, depending on how many are distributed. For an author or a small press, it makes a difference whether that investment returns a review or not.

Given that, Have you-- or will you -- consider making the "review" mandatory?

message 27: by Eric (new)

Eric Wright | 68 comments I agree at least a modest/short review should be expected

message 28: by Petra kissed a prince and he turned into a frog (last edited Aug 14, 2010 05:34PM) (new)

Petra kissed a prince and he turned into a frog (petra-x) Eric wrote: "I agree at least a modest/short review should be expected"

Since that isn't enforceable, I wouldn't think any more people than now would write reviews. It would be possible to change the algorithm of who wins books to favour those who write reviews, but since GR also wants to attract new members and to get its name out, many sites that now promote these giveaways might drop out, especially if it was mandatory.

message 29: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Libby wrote: "A question about the GiveAway program:

The rules say readers are encouraged, but not required to write a review of the giveaway book. However, giving a book away, whether an ARC or a finished cop..."

You might be interested in the blog post I just put up. It looks at how the giveaways breakdown by number of books offered and other criteria and also includes the % of winners who typically review a book:

http://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/23...

message 30: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 17 comments Patrick wrote: "Janny wrote: "Patrick wrote: "Janny wrote: "Hi, this site is a great place, and well run, kudos to the organizers.

I have two questions:

The first: Why does my author dashboard page sporatically ..."

Hi Patrick - just a quick note back - been more than a few days, and the 'bug' is not fixed. I still can see only 2 pages (of what should be 4) of my titles on the 'Author dashboard' - no doubt your team is busy, if so I understand.

I am checking back in hopes it's not a gremlin riding the bug - grin. (Also looking forward to having this fixed) Thanks.

message 31: by Welwyn (new)

Welwyn Wilton Katz | 2 comments Patrick wrote: "AnneMarie wrote: "Just making my first post to this group. I'm new at this so be patient with me. What type of stuff do we talk about here? I know I want to say something about some books I've o..."

Okay, I feel now that I must be very clear and exact.

So, I clearly and exactly state that no one who isn't an avid reader ever makes it as a writer; (Pronouncement of the Month!) And so it is as a reader primarily that I must approach this talk of authors and their reaction to this readers' site. (???)

Well. As a reader I'm delighted that the site wants this, but I'm not quite sure why. Our reactions to the *existence* of goodreads is bound to be: *fantastic*. Now, wearing the hat of an anonymous writer, I would say that the best way that other readers on goodreads can make use of our delight to find a site devoted to books that we love would be to ask us why we love those books. What is it about the books that makes them so fabulous? That kind of thing is bound to be opinionated and unrestrained and full of joy and maybe even will help non-writing people who want to understand their own love of certain books that the authors also love. Does any of what I'm saying make sense? That is, we basically take our own books for granted, don't talk about them unless asked, but use our experience as writers to dig a little deeper into a wonderful book? (Not that I think we can do it better than a really wonderful reader/not/writer could. Just differently.)

If that were the case, I think you would have to turn us loose from this place which is really somewhat determinedly the only place where we can admit, without fear, to what we do, or are.

The whole of goodreads would have to accept this idea, if it were going to work. You can say an awful lot as a writer, about writing, about brilliant writing, about writing you would give up chocolate to have written, without pushing your own books.

Bottom line here: we're just people, you know. We love to read, and if we needed advice on writing we'd go to someone we've heard of who's giving seminars or blogs or whatever. Preferably for free.

*If we were here to push our books we wouldn't really be writers.* I think that, anyway. Books are not cans of peas. They are your children. You've conceived them, nurtured them in the writerly womb, given birth to them, taken them to the doctor (editor) and basically loved them till it was time for them to leave you. Would you push your child????

Hoping greatly that this is the kind of thing you want to see, I am, yours very truly,

Welwyn Wilton Katz

message 32: by Welwyn (new)

Welwyn Wilton Katz | 2 comments In sum, basically, I would like to be able to be who I am anywhere on goodreads.

message 33: by Eric (new)

Eric Wright | 68 comments Wilton, I wish it were that simple. Just write your best and consign it the ether...but surely, one of the reasons we write is not just to get things off our chest, to write our heart...but to write for others to read. That may mean we don't push our 'baby' where it shouldnn't doesn't want to go. But we will want the best for it, hope it learns to walk and run and bless others through it's gifts and abilities. So a certain amount of pushing our books/promotion has to be part of what we do. Frankly, I don't like it but that seems to be reality.

message 34: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Wl Wilton Katz wrote: "Patrick wrote: "AnneMarie wrote: "Just making my first post to this group. I'm new at this so be patient with me. What type of stuff do we talk about here? I know I want to say something about s..."

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at, Wilton, but I like your thoughts about expressing your joy of writing and reading. You are, of course, welcome to use the blog section or the writing section to discuss this at length. I would hope that everyone can be who they are on Goodreads.

message 35: by Welwyn (new)

Welwyn Wilton Katz | 2 comments Patrick wrote: "Wl Wilton Katz wrote: "Patrick wrote: "AnneMarie wrote: "Just making my first post to this group. I'm new at this so be patient with me. What type of stuff do we talk about here? I know I want t..."

Hi, Patrick and Eric,

Sorry to have been confusing. First, I now go by Welwyn, my first name. I agree that publicity is important. But really I came to Goodreads to talk about books, find out about new good ones, and to make one or two new friends (real ones). In the talking about books part, I wanted to be able to give my perspective as an author, that's all.

message 36: by Welwyn (new)

Welwyn Wilton Katz | 2 comments Maybe I'm just confused because I'm not really sure where I want my career to go. I've got ten traditionally published books around the world but got in a car accident 7 years ago, and without any new books in ten years (I was three years into my next book when I had the car accident) my publisher dumped me. (Yes, I'm bitter. I made more than half a million dollars for them and they got tons of publicity out of my awards, so I thought they might have been a bit more loyal.) However, I really haven't been able to write my usual kind of novel since, and I suppose business is business. Anyway, I do have nearly a thousand copies of my ten books that I bought to sell, so I probably should be publicizing them. But now that I'm a "revealed" author, Goodreads has accepted me into their author program, which I didn't know existed before. From there, there are lots of ways to publicize your books, if you want to.

The thing is, I don't know what to do with new writing. Should I try novels again? The same kind? Different? I'm still injured. Should I switch to short stories? I just don't know.

And so I don't know whether I should just sell my books using the Author Program or whether I should expand into e-publishing or what. I guess maybe I'm shell-shocked, still.

message 37: by Welwyn (new)

Welwyn Wilton Katz | 2 comments Oh, sorry, I didn't introduce myself properly:

Welwyn Wilton Katz
http:www.booksbywelwyn.ca
http:welwynsworld.blogspot.com

message 38: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Welwyn wrote: "Patrick wrote: "Wl Wilton Katz wrote: "Patrick wrote: "AnneMarie wrote: "Just making my first post to this group. I'm new at this so be patient with me. What type of stuff do we talk about here? ..."

You can certainly do that, Welwyn. Becoming a Goodreads Author in no way limits what you can do as a member. In fact, the site would be a better place if more writers wrote reviews of the books they read. Many writers don't write them either because they are too focused on their own books (understandable) or because they are afraid of offending a fellow writer (also somewhat understandable). I encourage you to write as many reviews and to join as many groups as you like. If you bring up your experiences as a writer in your reviews, I think that would only be a benefit to your fellow users.

I wish you luck in your quest to decide what to do with your career from this point on. I'm afraid I won't be much help in that regard.

I have decided that we could use a section of the feedback group to discuss publishing issues (agents, publishers, self-publishing, etc.), so I'm going to create that section now.

message 39: by Welwyn (new)

Welwyn Wilton Katz | 2 comments Thanks for your support, Patrick.

message 40: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 3 comments Hello all, hello Patrick,

I'm not actually an author, my wife is ( Elita F. Daniels ); my role is "everything else" when it comes to the book, notably publishing and marketing. My expertise lies with media development (www, print, electronic) and of course spending countless hours on the net promoting.

I've come in here because I've noticed that the greater portion of discussion centres more around publishing/marketing than actually writing the books, so it's a good place for me to be.

Many thanks,
Paul.

message 41: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 44 comments Hi,
Good to be among fellow authors. I am interested in the giveaway as a promotional tool. What is the suggested length of time that the promotion should run? I see that some authors have their giveaway over several months. This will mean that more people will see their book - is that the idea?
I would like to see some reviews out before Christmas, so I suppose a short giveaway period would be appropriate.

message 42: by Welwyn (new)

Welwyn Wilton Katz | 2 comments HI, Jan and Elita, nice to see you here. I think this is a great site for readers. Maybe not so great for writers trying to post comments to groups. They really don't like you even mentioning you're an author in a lot of groups. Just thought I'd warn you.

message 43: by Petra kissed a prince and he turned into a frog (last edited Sep 19, 2010 07:45PM) (new)

Petra kissed a prince and he turned into a frog (petra-x) Its not they don't like people mentioning that they are an author, its timing. People welcome getting to know more about fellow participants so becoming an active contributor first, is seen as the acceptable way. Otherwise, to some, it gives the impression that the person just joined to promote their book.

No-one likes spam, and a very small minority of authors have spammed groups and that probably more than anything, has made some groups a little wary of 'Hi, I'm an author' introductions.

message 44: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 3 comments I suspect there's multiple issues driving this sort of behaviour.

Authors are usually fairly busy writing books and aren't too keen on forum-social activity (I know that many authors actually find it very hard to chatter on forums), so they like to just get to the point :p . Massaging a forum and building up a nice social realm takes a long time.

A question of my own is - how many "look at me" authors or publicists actually really care to look at the work of the previous poster, or the subsequent ones?

A lot of the author-intro threads are akin to people standing in a crowded room with their hands over their eyes and ears screaming "Look at me, look at me!" and hoping to have their pockets fill up :)

I wouldn't call this a cynical outlook, rather it's an unfortunate example of how things are these days - no time, no time, no time... :\

Paul.
http://elitadaniels.com

Petra kissed a prince and he turned into a frog (petra-x) Paul wrote: "Massaging a forum and building up a nice social realm takes a long time."

That's saying it straight.

If groups are seen only as a means of self-promotion then there are groups that would welcome authors who write in the same genre they read.

message 46: by Paul (new)

Paul Daniels (mrpld) | 3 comments Obtaining a genuinely captive audience would be one of the most difficult tasks, I can't imagine it'd be something anyone could attain overnight.

I know on other forums that I'm involved with (not book related - rather model aircraft), I've been there for 6 years, well over 14,000 posts and I would say that only just in the last 2 years have I managed to have something of the captive-audience.

Of course, we could try for a lot of crazy stunts and hope to blast over the internet in a wildfire of sharing.

message 47: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 44 comments Hi,
Thanks for the warning. I feel like I'm on a merry-go-round. The Amazon forum said I really should be on the Kindleboards website, and the Kindleboard members said that Goodreads is the place to be if you want to hook up with readers. Sometimes I forget which site I'm posting on!

message 48: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 276 comments Jan wrote: "Hi,
Good to be among fellow authors. I am interested in the giveaway as a promotional tool. What is the suggested length of time that the promotion should run? I see that some authors have their g..."

There's really no set answer to this. I think two weeks is pretty ideal for giveaways. The way we sort giveaways, there is a section for "recently listed," where your giveaway will appear for the first day or two after you list it, and then "giveaways ending soon," where it will appear for the last day or so before it closes. In between, it will be visible on the book page and by tag, but it won't really come up in the first page or so of giveaways. Which means that for those several months there's a good chance it will just languish until it is about to end. I think two weeks - one month is the ideal target duration.

Also, since I see you mention Kindleboard here, I just want to make sure you understand that the giveaways are for physical books only. If you've got physical copies of the book, that's great. I just wanted to be sure you were clear on that from the start.

message 49: by Welwyn (new)

Welwyn Wilton Katz | 2 comments Thanks to those who responded so wisely to my unhappiness with the way I've been treated. I never use any of these forums to promote my books. I never *have*, anyway. I just love reading. But things are going to have to change, I'm afraid. Paul was right. Too much work, too little time.

message 50: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 44 comments Thanks Patrick,
I was thinking of 2 - 4 weeks. I do have print copies of Something to Read on the Plane.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Jan

« previous 1 3 4 5 6