Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

Heyer in General > Which Heyer novel would you most like to see adapted for TV/Cinema?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (Sarahhelen) | 8 comments I've noticed that a few of you have commented on the absence of any of Heyer's romances from the big (or little) screen. I remember reading that False Colours was once adapted, but have never seen it. I would love to see the Alastair trilogy of These Old Shades, Devil's Cub and An Infamous Army in the cinema. Who would you choose to play the Duke of Avon? Alan Rickman would have been good, but a bit too old now!

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 519 comments I think Faro's Daughter would adapt well since it is fairly short, has strong leads and a lot of visual and situational humor.

message 3: by Janet (last edited Mar 17, 2010 09:01AM) (new)

Janet | 3 comments I would just love to see that scene in Devil's Cub where Mary shoots Dominic on the widescreen. So many of the books reminded me of old screwball comedies.

message 4: by Kay Webb (new)

Kay Webb (kaywebb) | 35 comments The Unknown Ajax: It has romance, smugglers, family drama/conflict, and hilarity.
Kay

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 519 comments Ajax also has the grand-finale ending shared by some of Heyer's other books (e.g. The Grand Sophy, Cotillion, Friday's Child) that would be fun in a movie.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (Sarahhelen) | 8 comments You're so right about Ajax - I'd like to see the scene where Hugo upbraids the blacksmith's son and sends him packing.

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 519 comments Heh. You mean decks the blacksmith's son. :D

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 108 comments The Alistair trilogy

message 9: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 5 comments Sarah wrote: "Who would you choose to play the Duke of Avon? Alan Rickman would have been good, but a bit too old now! "

Alan Rickman's voice would be perfect for the Duke of Avon's elegant yet sarcastic lines! He's 64 now, so he'd be playing a few ears older, but I think it would work if they did the The Devils Cub?

But who to play Vidal and Mary?

I think Cottilion would be a good movie, especially that last scene with Freddy and Jack!

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary I guess my current mood is making me cringe about her stories getting the Hollywood treatment.

message 11: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Mary and Kiki, I'm afraid you're right about the demented screen writers and Hollywood treatment. So. let's all get together and do it ourselves!

message 12: by Cel (new)

Cel Jel | 12 comments A Hollywood make of a Heyer novel - oxymoron? What about a British film studio? However I think the beauty is in the pictures the words give you, and so I do not want to see a film.

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 108 comments http://www.georgetteheyer.com/movies....

check out this. The reluctant widow being made out into a movie.

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie Taylor | 6 comments I personally would love to see Arabella on the screen. I think most of Heyer's novel would adapt nicely into a screenplay. What I want to know is how to make it become a movie really happen. There is supposedly an German Arabella version with subtitles that was make in the fifties, and I think it was on stage, so that sound totally boring to me. Anyway, I want to find out how to make many of Heyer's novels films without losing their charm. I just can't help but feel such a desire to watch what I am reading each time I read Heyer's books. They are in a league of their own.

message 15: by Angie (new)

Angie Taylor | 6 comments (I thought I could write, but it doesn't look like it from the many grammatical errors in my comment.)

message 16: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 104 comments Oh no!! They would make great adaptations!! After reading Cotillion i imagine that would make a good film.

message 17: by Teresa (last edited Aug 25, 2012 07:08PM) (new)

Teresa Edgerton (teresaedgerton) | 151 comments I would love to see it made into a movie, but I wonder if movie audiences would be as happy as readers are to see Freddy get the girl instead of handsome, rakish Jack.

And I can't think of anyone I would like to see play Freddy. (Does anyone have any ideas?) The other characters would be easy to cast, but he would be difficult.

message 18: by Animalia (new)

Animalia | 40 comments Teresa wrote: "And I can't think of anyone I would like to see play Freddy. (Does anyone have any ideas?) The other characters would be easy to cast, but he would be difficult.
"

I think Simon Woods, who played Mr. Bingley from the 2005 version of Pride & Prejudice would be a good choice.

He has the goofy smile down! :)

message 19: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 104 comments I recon the audience wouldn't mind as long as we shown clips of Jack being a rake, annoying man that he is! And it doesn't say Freddy was not handsome, just not as handsome as jack.

Simon woods is a good idea actually. You can picture him speaking like he does in the book. I need to put my mind to this....
Who would play kitty well do we think? Someone like Romala Garai (Emma 2009) maybe, or perhaps the innocent Felicity Jones (Northanger Abbey 2007) ??

message 20: by Animalia (new)

Animalia | 40 comments Soph wrote: "Who would play kitty well do we think? Someone like Romala Garai (Emma 2009) maybe, or perhaps the innocent Felicity Jones (Northanger Abbey 2007) ??"

I thought Carey Mulligan might be good.

message 21: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 104 comments Yes that is a great idea!! She would be right. Haha Bingley and Kitty from P&P becoming Freddy and Kitty from Cotillion.
(Haha both Kitty's!!)

message 22: by Yue (new)

Yue | 44 comments Richard Armitage would make an excellent Beaumaris... or The Shield... or Damerel (I did not have any problem picturing him as Damerel when I was listening the audiobook Venetia!). And when I was reading Arabella, a girl like Felicity Jones was on my mind...

Gemma Arterton would be a great Phoebe (Sylvester) or Sarah Thane. I also like Talullah Riley... maybe for Kitty.

message 23: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 104 comments I am looking forward to meeting Beaumaris (I have ordered Arabella, arriving Wednesday!)

message 24: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Allworthy | 6 comments I would love to see Venetia or Devil's Cub or The Grand Sophy adapted for film.

I write a blog about period drama (janeaustenfilmclub.blogspot.com) and I have started an online petition to try to bring Georgette Heyer to film.
http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions...

I would love the support of all of you who feel the same. Surely they will listen to us if we band together! It's worth a try. I look forward to joining your discussion. By the way, Richard Armitage or Felicity Jones would be perfect for a few different characters!

message 25: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 104 comments Singed!!

Arabella, Cotillion defo!!

message 26: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 457 comments Signed and Tweeted!

message 27: by Tuesday (new)

Tuesday Jones Dear Sarah,

If we all sign Jenny's petition, it may help move things along -- given that the rights have been snapped up to all of GH's romances and period drama is suddenly hot. Everyone in LA is social media mad at the moment. We have to at least try to be heard!

:)

message 28: by Tuesday (new)

Tuesday Jones P.S., I like Felicity Jones for any of GH's ingenue types. She's really terrific.

message 29: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Allworthy | 6 comments Thanks to all who have signed the petition for a Georgette Heyer film. Glad to see so much support for the idea and from all parts of the globe.

If anyone has any other ideas to bring attention to the idea of bringing Georgette Heyer's novels to film (or television) please let me know. Feel free to add links to the petition from any other blog or website.

message 30: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenma) | 29 comments I would also like to see her mysteries made into miniseries. The dialogue is so wonderfully snarky! I think the British would have to do it, they are so good at that kind of thing. Think of all the Masterpiece Theater productions.

message 31: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinpickell) | 2 comments Yeah. Even though not one of my favorites, I thought A Blunt Instrument was like a play/movie as I read it. I kept thinking he enters ... Etc

message 32: by Hannah (last edited Nov 08, 2012 12:33PM) (new)

Hannah (hannahr) I'm with Helen, I'd love to see her mysteries made into TV adaptations, like the Miss Marple's I see on PBS.

As for her regencies, I think The Reluctant Widow would make a fun TV adaptation, since it also features some gothic undertones and has some very funny scenes featuring Bouncer the dog and the younger brother (can't remember his name right now).

message 33: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 426 comments Yes, the Reluctant Widow would be a good one. Nicky, his name is. Nice role for a young actor.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurasreviews) | 3 comments I love so many of her novels, but so far Cotillion is my favorite and I would love to see it on the big screen!

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (stress_less_jess) | 32 comments I would love to see some of her adventure stories ('The Black Moth'; 'Beauvallet'; 'The Masqueraders'), but produced by the BBC. However, I'm sure they cannot recreate what I imagine when I read them, so no matter how well done it is I would still be sorely disappointed. :)

message 36: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1272 comments I think BBC and PBS Masterpiece should air some of the more adventure stories like Talisman Ring and then move on to the mysteries for Masterpiece Mystery. That's the ONLY way I would watch a Heyer movie. I wouldn't trust Hollywood to do it right. They'd get rid of her words, especially the slang, and modernize it.

message 37: by HJ (new)

HJ | 948 comments Qnpoohbear wrote: "I think BBC and PBS Masterpiece should air some of the more adventure stories like Talisman Ring and then move on to the mysteries for Masterpiece Mystery. That's the ONLY way I would watch a Heyer..."

I agree. Only the BBC could do it properly.

message 38: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 426 comments I'd like Cotillion I think ( agreed, done by the BBC or ABC or PBS I hastily add)

Such an interesting array of young men, from the sublime to the ridiculous , plus the change form deep countryside to London lights. Any idea for casting?