Aram Book Discussion discussion

2010 Discussions > Money or Honesty?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (trina26) | 4 comments Mod
Stockett includes this quote by Howell Raines at the end of the novel: “There is no trickier subject for a writer from the South than that of affection between a black person and a white one in the unequal world of segregation. For the dishonesty upon which a society is founded makes every emotion suspect, makes it impossible to know whether what flowed between two people was honest feeling or pity or pragmatism.”
This quote refers to the race issues prevalent in this book but it also comments on the relationship between boss and employee. Do you feel that if you are paying someone who’s livelihood depends on making you happy, honesty becomes a secondary concern?

message 2: by Sue (last edited Mar 16, 2010 05:15PM) (new)

Sue | 12 comments Mod
The "dishonesty upon which a society is founded" is a part of human nature. It's impossible to be completely honest all of the time. And because we all lie, disguise our true feelings, embroider or avoid the truth at times, people will always be unsure of others' motives, meanings, etc. That has nothing to do with the race issue -- it's a people issue.

It bothered me in this book, as in many others we've read, that people can be so dismissive or even cruel to those they believe to be "inferior" whether that opinion is based on class, race, education, religion . . . whatever. I am aware of the volative civil rights climate of the 60's, but what about common courtesy and basic good manners? Shouldn't they be applied across the board. . . even my cat says please and thank you when I let her in and out.