Clean Reads discussion

Book Club suggestions

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie | 2 comments My church book club book is looking for a new book to read. We like to make sure someone has read the book first before we suggest it. That way we can weed out books that are inappropriate, as far as too much sexual content, language, etc. Anyway, our library has some awesome book club kits that we can check out, but we are not familiar with them. It would be very helpful if anyone can give me an idea about these books. Thanks!

Back when we were grownups by Anne Tyler
The next thing on my list: a novel by Jill Smolinski
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
The Master Butchers Singing Club by Louise Erdrich
The Friday night knitting club by Kate Jacobs.
Stubborn twig: three generations in the life of a
Japanese American family by Lauren Kessle
The soloist a lost dream, an unlikely friendship, and the redemptive power of music by Steve Lopez
Izzy & Lenore : two dogs, and unexpected journey, and me by Jon Katz.
The jump-off creek by Molly Gloss.
Luncheon of the boating party by Susan Vreeland

Thanks!

message 2: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) | 67 comments I loved Stubborn Twig: Three Generations in the Life of a Japanese American Family.
I think it was pretty clean. Such a good book!

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel (melmccurdy) Here is the link to my book club's list -- we are all RS sisters, but, aren't a RS book club, so some selections may not appeal to everyone. I've made note of anything that might be considered objectionable:
http://gerberadaisydiaries.blogspot.c...

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri (terricb) | 40 comments I read "The Friday Night Knitting Club" at least a year or two ago, so it's a little vague, but if I recall there is some language and some parts of the story included being gay. It's a fine book, but certainly wasn't my fav.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mejojac) | 50 comments Angie - I was going to red Moloka'i but I found this review here on goodreads...
"This was on the monthly book club for our ward. It was interesting up until the rated-R sex scene. Then I stopped reading and had a little chat with the Relief Society President about the books the RS Book club was having us read."
I don't know the person who wrote this, but there were a couple of others that mentioned that it was a bit graphic...

message 6: by joy (new)

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* (joytotheworld) | 98 comments if you're interesting in moloka'i, the book
The Colony: The Harrowing True Story of the Exiles of Molokai by John Tayman is pretty good. it's non-fiction but it really is a harrowing story -- no R-rated sex scenes however, so it's probably preferable to the one you were trying to read. :)

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mejojac) | 50 comments I picked up the Soloist from the library. Went to start reading it and had to put it down. I just fanned through a few pages and found 2 f-words in less than a minute. :S

message 8: by Angie (new)

Angie | 2 comments Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions. We have decided to go with Stubborn Twig: Three Generations in the Life of a Japanese American Family. It has been VERY helpful to hear everyone's comments. I would also like to know... what other books has your Book Club enjoyed?

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin | 14 comments We've stuck with a lot YA selections because they're generally much less likely to have objectionable content, but these are the books for our book club this year:

Austenland by Shannon Hale
Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry, Ridley Pearson
Against an Amber Sky by H.R. Holm
Once Upon a Marigold by Jean Ferris
Peace Like A River by Leif Enger
Abigail and John: Portrait of a Marriage by Edith B. Gelles
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (will probably change this one based on reviews that this book contains many profane references to diety.)
The Faith Club by Ranya Idliby, Suzanne Oliver and Priscilla Warner
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

message 10: by Lanetta (new)

Lanetta | 34 comments When we had a book club, the sisters read The Secret Life of Bees and even got together to watch the movie. I thought the book was good and was never brothered by the few profane references. If you are looking to read a book that only conatins church doctrine than this would not be a good book. To Kill a Mockingbird is a great book (I read it when I was in 6th grade) but contains as much profane references as The Secert Life of Bees. I think those two books are at the same rating.

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin | 14 comments Thanks for the input, Lanetta. It's good to have that frame of reference We've left the book on there so that one or two of us have a chance to read it first and see if it's "too much" for our group. I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird since High School so I haven't given it much thought, but you're right. Thanks again!

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (whitepicketfence) | 100 comments Erin wrote: "We've stuck with a lot YA selections because they're generally much less likely to have objectionable content, but these are the books for our book club this year:

Austenland by Shannon Hale
Peter..."

I wanted to like Austenland, as I am a huge Jane Austen fan, but I found the relationships soap operatic and ironically shallow and the chapter headings about skanky boyfriends disappointing.

I was also surprised with the amount of "language" in "To Kill a Mockingbird", when I re-read it a few years ago. Of course it has a fantastic message and the movie would have never been made without the book, but I think this is one of the few instances where the film adaptation was much better than the book and taught the message more profoundly in a less offensive way.

message 13: by joy (new)

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* (joytotheworld) | 98 comments austenland stinks! shannon hale's YA books are worlds better than both her adult selections. yikes. austenland and the actor and the housewife both barely merited a 2 star rating for me, whereas the goose girl and princess academy and the book of a thousand days are awesome!

rachel -- i've had the same experience with my high school reading list. stuff that i read and liked back then would definitely be too much for me now. i'm think of catcher in the rye particularly, but i'm sure there are others.

message 14: by Mel (new)

Mel (melmccurdy) I know I'm threadjacking but ditto Joy on thumbs down for Austenland and Actor/Housewife -- they were awful! I've heard her Juv/YA fiction is infintely better.

message 15: by joy (new)

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* (joytotheworld) | 98 comments oh, definitely read the YA Hale books first.

what were we supposed to be talking about?
and how's hunger games going?

*soooo guilty as charged ***

message 16: by Michele (new)

Michele Hello, I just joined the group. SOOO happy to have found fellow readers who don't like to be assaulted by foul language or inappropriate content. Are there any ancient rituals I have to perform to become one of you? :-)

Just a note on "The Next Thing on My List", I just barely returned that to the library because within the first ten pages, there was a casual F-bomb and I figured it was going to be pretty prolific throughout the book. Not a good sign. As usual, I was disappointed because it sounded like a great story.

message 17: by joy (last edited Apr 11, 2010 12:10PM) (new)

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* (joytotheworld) | 98 comments Michele wrote: " Are there any ancient rituals I have to perform to become one of you?..."

actually, yes. we have a super-secret handshake and an annual book burning. ;)

message 18: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 75 comments ...which is especially hard to do over the internet, so we're pretty exclusive...

Thanks Michelle and Joy for my first chuckles of the morning.

message 19: by Michele (new)

Michele Joy wrote: "Michele wrote: " Are there any ancient rituals I have to perform to become one of you?..."

actually, yes. we have a super-secret handshake and an annual book burning. ;)"

tell me when and where and I'll bring my torch.

message 20: by Martha (new)

Martha | 6 comments I would highly recommend "The Little Lame Prince." Very clean, excellent for anyone. Some language patterns are a bit old-fashioned, but it enhances the story, rather than diminishes it.

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna del C. Dye | 29 comments All this authors are very clean and church goers. They will be excellent for church book-clubs.
Sarah Fitzgerald writes sweet romance
Marsha Ward does Westerns
Mette Ivie Harrison YA
Sarah Eden, does regency romance
Liz Adair Westerns mysteries.
Donna Hatch does regency romance
Anna del C. Dye I do Hight Fantasy, medieval
Rebecca Talley writes romance
Tristi Pinkston does all kind of great writing