Stephen King Fans discussion

Sometimes Dead Threads Come Back > Finally Hitting My FIRST SK Book

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 50 comments Greetings, all!

It's been some time since I checked in at GRs. You know how life goes!

I am happy to report I am FINALLY reading my first ever full SK book. I had read his autopsy short story a long while back and had been too chicken to pick up one of his full novels. This past weekend I began reading "Under the Dome" and I am so bummed I have waited so long to read SK. I am completely hooked and can barely pull myself away for important things like work, eating, sleeping, etc.

Just wanted to share the SK love! Hope all are having a great day and I look forward to our journies through "Maine" with Mr. K.

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments Stick with him; you'll learn more about your priorities. Things like: 'they'll get by without me at work' and 'eat later' and 'time to sleep after I finish this'.
Enjoy your journey!

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) You forgot "Never walk over sewer grating" and "verify spelling of 'cemetery' before burial. :P

message 4: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) | 54 comments Ahahahaha!! :D

message 5: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 50 comments I LOVED this book. Finished it last night in the not-so-wee-hours of the morning. :o)

Now to decide what to tackle next... I'm a bit leary of reading his "scary" stuff since I'm usually home alone at night when my hubby's working. Recommendations on something not TOO scary for my next read?

message 6: by Glenn (new)

Glenn | 1 comments My all time favourite SK book is The Talisman. Alot of people here would probably disagree with me, but its a fantastic novel.

I definitely wouldn't classify it as being scary. I think the book is targeted mainly at a 'young adult' market, but grown-ups can enjoy it too. I read the book when I was 23 and loved it!

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Glenn, I'd agree with you. I LOVE The Talisman. :D

message 8: by Varsha (new)

Varsha i would recommend lisey's story.. beautiful story :)

message 9: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 50 comments Thank you for the continued recommendations!

message 10: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Fairchild (edstweety) | 10 comments Varsha wrote: "i would recommend lisey's story.. beautiful story :)"

Lisey's Story IS a great one but probably not good 'alone at night' read for some. For me, the only King that really scared me while reading was Salem's Lot and Pet Cemetary. Although, some of his short stories are REALLY scary also! I think he doesn't get enough credit for his short stories actually. I love The Stand, it's not tooo horribly scary...lol!

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) There is one part of Lisey's Story that was VERY creepy... I listened to the audio, and it gave me goosebumps, literally.

message 12: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4053 comments I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll be vague. The scene in Liisey's Storey that got to me, was the one involving the XO can opener. I have a can opener exactly like that for one, and second, I just couldn't quite figure out how that worked, except that it was awful. One instance where less detail was more.

message 13: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Fairchild (edstweety) | 10 comments Lol!!! Soooo true!

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) That wasn't the scene that got to me. The one that got to me was the basement flashback scene. *shudder*

message 15: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4053 comments Becky wrote: "That wasn't the scene that got to me. The one that got to me was the basement flashback scene. *shudder*"

That was pretty gruesome, but I am always more affected by the "real" stuff. Annie Wilkes, as opposed to Pennywise, I guess.

message 16: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Fairchild (edstweety) | 10 comments I SO agree with the basement thing too...in fact, that part used to keep coming to my mine over and over when I was doing one specific thing ( scooping the cat box....don't ask me!) so I re-read it. The mailbox thing was pretty freaky too though!!

message 17: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1104 comments Mod
oh, now there's a thought.....

It's Misery: or, Pennywise vs. Annie Wilkes

...after being bashed in the head with a typewriter, former nurse Annie Wilkes has moved to Derry, Maine. It is there that she encountes Pennywise for the first time as she is out walking just after sunset and is attempting to cross the street near a storm drain...

She sees a boat made of folded paper sailing down a stream of water in the gutter, finally coming to a stop at the storm drain, the side of the boat caught by the iron grille of the drain. As she bends down to pick it up, a hand reaches up from within the drain to grab her wrist.

"Let go of me, you cockadoodie clown!"

She swings her handy sledgehammer, which she always carries with her (you never know when you might run into a cockadoodie alcoholic writer or the like) and caves in the bone at the wrist. Pennywise screams and withdraws his now useless arm.

Annie continues on her way, the paper boat forgotten. She does pause long enough to consider calling her friend Dolores Claiborne and asking her if she dropped a clown down a well or something.....

Okay. Sorry about that. Random silliness. Blame Kandice for the Annie/Pennywise comparison....

message 18: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4053 comments Chris, you are a hoot!

message 19: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1104 comments Mod
It by Stephen King vs. Misery. (Lernmaterialien) by Stephen King

message 20: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments Chris wrote: "does pause long enough to consider calling her friend Dolores Claiborne..."

Then she remembered she had her cell phone with her, so decided to give her a ring . . .

message 21: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos (apokalypse) | 54 comments I've got a question: Do have to read Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier before reading Bag of Bones ? I read in an interview that Stephen King refered to a number of literary books. Is this true?

Thenks for your opinions...

My warm regard and happy reading! ^_^

message 22: by Becky (last edited Mar 28, 2010 07:02PM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) No, I don't think so. I think that the style is similar, that's all.

Edit: Sorry, I mean that you don't have to have read Rebecca to enjoy Bag of Bones.

message 23: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 50 comments Thanks for the continued discussion (even off topic). It's all good! :o)