Horror Aficionados discussion

Authors > John Everson

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Gifford (paulsgifford) | 58 comments Any Everson fans in this group?

I have literally read everything he has had published.

The 13th is my favorite.

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 139 comments So far The 13th is the only thing I've read and I loved it! I'm looking forward to reading more!

message 3: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Gifford (paulsgifford) | 58 comments As you should be!

message 4: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Gifford (paulsgifford) | 58 comments http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index...

Here is a cool picture i took- John Everson signing Amber Benson's arm at Dark Delicacies. It came about as John was quoted as saying he will be signing Amber Benson, and not signing with Amber Benson. She was a wonderful sport!

message 5: by Kathy (last edited Mar 16, 2010 12:47PM) (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 139 comments Very funny. lol :)

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I couldn't see the photo for some reason. John Everson pops in here quite a bit. Very nice guy and a good writer. I've enjoyed the two books of his I've read.

message 7: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Gifford (paulsgifford) | 58 comments If you just google 'John Everson Amber Benson' under images the picture should show up.

message 8: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Thanks.

message 9: by LinBee (new)

LinBee I've only read the 13th, and enjoyed it. I have Sacrifice & Covenant at home to read. And as Tressa said, he pops in a lot, and is a really nice guy!

message 10: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Gifford (paulsgifford) | 58 comments John and I are close friends...Done a few conventions and signings together over the years. He is about the nicest guy in the business.

message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Good to know, P.s. If I know some writer is a perpetual a-hole, it's a turn off for me and I won't read his books. Fans and writers should treat one another with respect.

I think the only a-hole I'll put up with is Harlan Ellison.

message 12: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Gifford (paulsgifford) | 58 comments We all put up with Harlan!

message 13: by Scott (new)

Scott He's a teddy bear

message 14: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Gifford (paulsgifford) | 58 comments http://www.johneverson.com/wordplay/?...

These pictures should open!

message 15: by John (new)

John Everson (johneverson) | 117 comments Hey Paul, Tressa, LinBee, Kathy - thanks for the kind words.

Paul - you might be amused to know that Amber Benson gave me a blurb for my upcoming novel, SIREN. She read it last fall and called it "a twisted fable of lust and obsession -- with a very salty finish." I just got my page proofs from Leisure today and saw that blurb on the first page :-)!

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments I'm a big Everson fan and look forward to more.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 139 comments Me too, definitely! :)

message 18: by LinBee (new)

LinBee Me too! I just picked up Covenant today! I'm excited. And I think that is the best blurb ever! A very salty finish...sounds like fun.

message 19: by P.S. (new)

P.S. Gifford (paulsgifford) | 58 comments John wrote: "Hey Paul, Tressa, LinBee, Kathy - thanks for the kind words.

Paul - you might be amused to know that Amber Benson gave me a blurb for my upcoming novel, SIREN. She read it last fall and called..."

Wickedly cool. She is extremely down to earth and just, well, nice.

message 20: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Guillemette (cheme2005) | 12 comments The 13th by John Everson is a heart pounding, gut wrenching, roller coaster ride of in your face horror filled action from cover to cover.

This book is destined to become the next great horror film of our time.

FYI we also have autographed copies if anyone is interested.

message 21: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I've never heard of Amber Benson. I looked her up and she was born in B'ham, AL, my hometown. Of course she's down to earth and nice. She's a southern gal.

Very subtle sales pitch, Old Towne Books & Tea.

message 22: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Guillemette (cheme2005) | 12 comments Sales pitch-yes and no. John is one of our local authors and we love him and his books. We also know that people like autographed copies which we do provide but we just want to help promote John's books.

message 23: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I was just playing around. We love John, too.

message 24: by LinBee (new)

LinBee Finished Covenant, and enjoyed it very much. A few surprises along the way! Looking forward to starting Sacrifice soon!

message 25: by John (new)

John Everson (johneverson) | 117 comments Tressa - Amber Benson came to fame as a member of the "Buffy the Vampire" cast. Then she began publishing novels, first with Christopher Golden and now on her own. She's also directed her own indie films. She's pretty cool.

Joe - thanks for the props. Love you guys at Old Towne!!!

LinBee - glad you liked COVENANT. I'm predicting you'll enjoy SACRIFICE even more though! It's a lot closer to the "crazy" level of THE 13TH (which I know you loved), than COVENANT was.

message 26: by P.S. (last edited Apr 30, 2010 12:57PM) (new)

P.S. Gifford (paulsgifford) | 58 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c259iJ...

John Everson's trailer. (For his book- I am not saying he lives in one)

message 27: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Huh. Authors are always screaming poverty. Maybe he does live in one.

message 28: by John (new)

John Everson (johneverson) | 117 comments Nah. I definitely don't live in poverty. Now if I tried to LIVE on the revenue I make from writing fiction, I ABSOLUTELY would be in poverty... but I realized long, long ago that as fulfilling and as much fun as writing fiction and music are, there are other 9-5 pursuits that more dependably pay the mortgage, buy big screen TVs and and allow you the wherewithal to pursue those other creative endeavors without starving at the same time. I like expensive beer, bourbon and my TV room way too much to live on the checks from fiction.

Now if Hollywood comes calling someday, I may be singing a different tune, but until then....

message 29: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I don't know how writers hold down a 9-5 job and write. Commendable. I'm too lazy to do it all.

message 30: by John (new)

John Everson (johneverson) | 117 comments Well, for me the answer to that question is... depends on whether you want to live in trailer or not :-) I say not. But still want to write.

message 31: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Ha. There's your incentive. But you could just throw in the towel and not write because it takes too much out of you. So, still commendable. I have a deep admiration for writers because I dabble in writing (not fiction) for my job and it's hard to be imaginative on demand, KWIM?

message 32: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments Last book I read was Covenant, which was my first Everson read and it was really good. I can't wait to read Sacrifice. Also, I just gotta share this, cause it's so awesome, right after finishing Covenant, I got a free copy of Siren I think just for signing up for John's email newsletter and it was signed personally to me, I've never had a personally inscribed book before...mad props to Mr. Everson :)

message 33: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments Very cool, Bandit!

message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments Welcome to the insanity, Bandit! Watch out for Smokey, good buddy...that's a big 10-4! (bad joke, sorry!)

Hey, if you liked CONVENANT, you'll love SACRIFICE. In a lot of ways, I liked the sequel more than the first novel. Everson is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

message 35: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments haha, thanks, Chris
yeah, Sacrifice is right near the top of my christmas list, now I'm just pondering if I can wait that long

message 36: by John (new)

John Everson (johneverson) | 117 comments Actually Bandit - I think you got the free SIREN because you entered and won the SIREN contest over at HorrorWorld.org ... that's the one signed copy I've sent over the past couple weeks... Hope you enjoy!

message 37: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments Hey, John
that makes me feel like even more of a winner, then :)
I posted a review of Covenant on Amazon to help spread the word
thanks again and happy Thanksgiving!

message 38: by John (new)

John Everson (johneverson) | 117 comments Thanks so much - just read it! Glad you enjoyed it so much, and I'm humbled by the Laymon comparison :-) Can't wait to hear what you think of SACRIFICE!