SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > Vampire Diaries (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (last edited Mar 16, 2010 08:46AM) (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I would like to know what people thought of the tv series vs. the books?
So if you have read it and watched the series what did you think?

message 2: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Mmm so far the series is a lot better, Don't like Elena in the book!

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I am not a big fan of the books and after reading the first one I gave up the series. I havent watched the series on Tv but I just hope it is better than the book

message 4: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Well the second book is already a 100% improvement so far. I am enjoying the tv series, much better than the 1st book so far!

message 5: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
The second book:

A big improvement on the first book!
I really loved how the characters developed and especially how Elena started getting more enduring!

What a ending and how I love the road the story is going on!

Will definitely read the next one!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm enjoying both at their own rate... As the series is definitely only based on the books… it becomes more apparent when reading the books while watching the series. There are many similarities but way to many differences. The books have developed quite well for me and I’m enjoying it more, things happen that I didn’t expect would, and parts are actually rather dark… The series, well its still in the starts, but I like it to, and like I said, it’s much different to the books, but much the same to, its weird, but I’m enjoying both.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I just watched the first season of this. It was crap at the start, but my sister made me keep going and the later episodes are entertaining. Very annoyed that I must wait for season 2, given the cliffhangers.

It's kind of like a teen soap opera with vampires though: everyone is thin and pretty and most of the plot is about dating.

However, I am compensated by the fact that, as Jenna pointed out, Damon is "ridiculously hot". Wish Elena would pick him.
Don't like Stefan. I've named him "big-jaw" and he gets uglier every time he comes on screen. Also, I'm getting tired of goody-two-shoes vampires who don't drink human blood.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Go Lauren!!!!
I know, Damon is soooooo hot!
You should go look at my blog, got him as hottie of the week.
Sometimes Elana is a bit pathetic to me, but I love the series

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Yeah, Elena and Stefan are a bit cheesy. Pick the hot bad-ass brother goddammit! Although Elena's pretty dull, too perfect. Yawn. Can't wait to see Katherine in action in season 2.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hehe...
How did season 1 end again?

message 11: by Lauren (last edited Sep 15, 2010 02:05AM) (new)

Lauren Smith *Spoiler alert*

A bunch of vampires were killed by John and his crew, including Anna (very upset about that). Damon tells Jeremy that Anna is dead, so Jeremy drinks the vial of blood that Anna gave him and tries to commit suicide so that he will turn. Elena kisses Damon, but then it turns out that it's actually Katherine (who stole Elena's clothes). Katherine then gets invited inside the house by Jenna and kills John in the kitchen.

Something weird as well - the mayor and his son (Tyler?) were affected by the vampire weapon, but they're not vampires, so that's a new mystery. Also, Caroline is in intensive care or something after the car accident.

Very soap opera-ish now that I list it all, lol.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh ok...
Caroline is not like she is in the book. I remember now. I'm also upset about Anna, I really liked her!

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Don't think I'll read the books, but the TV series is nice light entertainment.

Why did they have to get rid of Anna?! She was a cool character.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

The books are different than the series.
In the book Elena is described as blonde and blue eyed.

I know! Anna was cool, and I wanted her to change Jerremy

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith At least she gave him the means to do it by himself though.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

But it would have been great if they were together.

message 17: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Damon is the best!

Don't read the books Lauren, just don't...

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Damon is beyond gorgeous. Would totally become a soulless human-drinking immortal for a piece of that...

Lol, will avoid the books :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Lauren you'd have to fight me for a piece of Damon!
He is sooooooo hot!
And witty, and cute, and my list could go on and on lol

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Has anyone seen the most recent episode of VD? No.17, the one where (view spoiler). What an ending! I hate having to wait for the next one; I should only watch these when I can watch them all in one go.

message 21: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I'm not there yet! I'm at the one where Elena gets kidnapped by the older vamps and Stefan and Damon comes to the rescue. And Elena runs down the stairs all exited, Damon thinks she's running to him and at the last moment Stefan steps in and takes the credit. I'm mostly rolling my eyes while watching this series and trying to think of a time 10 years ago when I would've eaten it all up like pudding. =) But yes, Damon is incredibly hot so I must keep watching.

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I can't stand Stefan. I think he's ugly and boring. I keep making snarky comments to the screen about how Elena should stop wasting her time with the lame brother and dump him for the hot one.

Yeah, it's very soap opera-ish isn't it? Everyone's rich and beautiful, high school students drive expensive cars and get to sleep over with their boyfriends and have romantic getaways at the family lodge.
But the intrigue has me roped in. And there's Damon. *hangs head in shame*

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith By the way, hot as Damon is, are you also irritated with the way he keeps opening his eyes really wide when he talks? It's like the director wants to make the most of his lovely gray eyes and came up with the dumb idea of exposing his eyeballs more.

message 24: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments It worked, for I'd say ... 1 episode. Then it just got plain irritating.

message 25: by Gerchia (new)

Gerchia | 1 comments Kahlan wrote: "It worked, for I'd say ... 1 episode. Then it just got plain irritating."

Niecole wrote: "Hehe...
How did season 1 end again?"

To be honest I didn't really notice that, but now that you guys are talking about him doing that I agree that there is no point in it. We know he has smouldering eyes so there's no need to widen them all the time.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I've noticed it... it irritates me to bits!

Ok, Lauren, wow! I cant NOT read a spoiler and that is wow... what the heck???

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Oh Niecole, lol, you should have tried to hold yourself back. I couldn't believe it either. And now I have to wait for the next episode, but have no idea when I'll be able to watch it :(

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I hate it when they have these huge cliffhangers at the end!!!!
Oh my word... I wonder why he is so good then?