1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up discussion

Hard to find books

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 5 comments I'm not sure if anyone is still actively using this group, but thought I'd post a good resource for some of the hard-to-find books. I've been able to read quite a few on Project Gutenberg, complete with illustrations. It might help when the local library doesn't have what you're looking for. (Just read "Cautionary Tales for Children"...hilarious!)

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Really?! I never thought to check Gutenberg for children's titles. Thats a pretty good tip! Thanks Emily!

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindajane) | 61 comments Thanks Emily - this helps a lot. I've just done Cautionary Tales online and realised that I had actually read it years ago - somewhere. Still funny.
Foreign bookshops have some too - but then you need a friendly translator for the longer novels. Good Luck!

message 4: by Manybooks, Active moderator (new)

Manybooks | 220 comments Mod
Check ABE books. They often have hard to find titles, sometimes at very good prices (and, it's international as well).

message 5: by Paradox (new)

Paradox | 2 comments Hello there, I just joined after managing to find a review for a book that I crave to read. That one is "No way of telling", I remember reading it when i was quite young. but recently I seriously want to read that particular one . Sadly I am unable to find it online its one arduous one to look for . Can any one please give me any information regarding its availability and how I can get it? And is it available for free download? Please

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 5 comments Since the book was published in the 70s I doubt there's a free version of it online anywhere. Have you checked your local library? Google Books would be a good place to look. They often have links to online retailers who have a particular book in stock and even a "find in a library" options that searches library catalogs near your location. It's pretty handy!

message 7: by Manybooks, Active moderator (new)

Manybooks | 220 comments Mod
Paradox wrote: "Hello there, I just joined after managing to find a review for a book that I crave to read. That one is "No way of telling", I remember reading it when i was quite young. but recently I seriously w..."

Check ABE Books or other online second-hand bookstores and/or websites. They often have some good books available at reasonable prices.

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindajane) | 61 comments I've discovered that colleges for training teachers have some great children's book collections - which the general public can access too. Also,some older books out of print are on-line and State Libraries have good children's collections too (ours ended up with a lovely lady's bequest of 700 books!). Second hand stores have given up a few too - and my kids love it because the books are all under $5.

message 9: by Polstar (new)

Polstar Another good online resource is this place here: http://www.archive.org/details/iacl

The children's library has some beautifully illustrated books that you can download as PDFs. All of the books are in the public domain and make wonderful reading.

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily | 5 comments Polstar wrote: "Another good online resource is this place here: http://www.archive.org/details/iacl

The children's library has some beautifully illustrated books that you can download as PDFs. All of the books ..."

Thanks!! Just read a few books online there and love that you can flip through scanned pages of the original as if you were reading the real thing.

message 11: by Polstar (new)

Polstar Emily wrote: "Polstar wrote: "Another good online resource is this place here: http://www.archive.org/details/iacl

The children's library has some beautifully illustrated books that you can download as PDFs. A..."

It's amazing isn't it? I love it so much! I never thought I'd appreciate the digital age when it came to reading.

message 12: by Skittles (new)

Skittles (lola131313) | 6 comments I love pretty much any kind of book so any ideas?

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindajane) | 61 comments Not sure about elsewhere, but "Maya the Bee" was proving tough to find in Oz. www to the rescue - there's an audio version at http://www.archive.org/details/maya_t...

message 14: by Skittles (new)

Skittles (lola131313) | 6 comments ok I'll check it out!

message 15: by Marinakoable (new)

Marinakoable | 3 comments Linda wrote: "I've discovered that colleges for training teachers have some great children's book collections - which the general public can access too. Also,some older books out of print are on-line and State ..."

Thank you very much. Amazing source.

message 16: by Marinakoable (new)

Marinakoable | 3 comments Gundula wrote: "Check ABE books. They often have hard to find titles, sometimes at very good prices (and, it's international as well)."

"No way of telling" Is it about a Welsh farm? I found it on alibris.com for $0.99. Alibris is a great source to find rear books, books printed only once, printed abroad and etc. I found the only translation of Little-Magic-Horse by Peter Ershoff (a russian poet of 19th cent.). Published in 1942 in New York and beautifully translated by Tatiana Balkoff Drowne. It was only $4.00 or so... Also lots of children books by Russian-soviet writers, translated into English and published in USSR.

message 17: by Briar Rose (new)

Briar Rose | 40 comments Mod
Okay, after spending some time working with the bookshelf, I've added a new shelf called 'hard to find' for all the books that don't appear to have an English translation or are out of print and impossible to get on abebooks or gutenberg.

The list appears to have 0 books on it right now, but that's a bug with the group shelf. Click on it and you'll see a list of books.

message 18: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn  | 1 comments Looking for the title to this children's picture book plot: "Ronald Morgan is to play a cat. He helps Jan make her witch's hat and gets too much glitter on it... During practice, Ronald gets cat fur on Rosemary's princess dress and nearly falls off the stage. Ronald likes the end of the play best" Google search found this plot summary but I am unable to find anymore either on Amazon or here on Goodreads.

Any help is appreciated. I am a grandma now and remembering all the books I read to my children. Book was probably published in 1980s as I recall reading to my children in mid-1980s. It was a thin, picutre book, paperback

Marilyn

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindajane) | 61 comments Marilyn - Today was a Terrible Day (1980) by Patricia Reilly Giff.

https://openlibrary.org/works/OL24273...

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen Hoehne | 159 comments Mod
Marilyn wrote: "Looking for the title to this children's picture book plot: "Ronald Morgan is to play a cat. He helps Jan make her witch's hat and gets too much glitter on it... During practice, Ronald gets cat fu..."

The Almost Awful Play by Patricia Reilly Giff

There is a series of 7 books about Ronald Morgan -- https://www.goodreads.com/series/1404...

1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Almost Awful Play (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patricia Reilly Giff (other topics)