Rothfussians discussion

The Archives > New Member

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey, I'm a new member - DrJon from Tennessee. I am a huge Rothfussian. I read and re-read The Name of the Wind and loved it. It is one of my favorite books in recent memory. I have contacted Pat and have found him to be very open and willing to converse with fans. I'm happy to meet you all!

message 2: by Barb (new)

Barb | 3 comments Have you seen his clips on You Tube?
I loved The Name of the Wind. I heard about him from my son. We are both very anxious to read his next book when it finally comes out.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

No, I haven't seen his YouTube clips. He seems like a cool guy. His blog is hysterical.

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb | 3 comments Where is that? I'll have to check it out.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Www.patrickrothfuss.com or www.thenameofthewind.com

click on "pat's blog"
warning - he's not afraid to use a little "salty" language

message 6: by Mary, Minion the 1st, Chancellor (new)

Mary (mary_believes_in_faeries) | 142 comments Mod
Nice to meet you, welcome!

message 7: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 21 comments Welcome to the group! =)

message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Thanks for the news about youtube videos. Reason enough to join this group. I'm new here, a voracious, eclectic reader. Fantasy is one of my faves, and Patrick could probably write an appliance owners manual and it would be good to read. I've just started listening to the audio of Elizabeth Moon's new book, Oath of Fealty. Has anyone else read it. A return to Paksennarion's world. Brenda

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 202 comments Hi, I'm new.
Love The Kingkiller Chrinocle. It's amazing.
Anyway, the name's obvious, as it's stated clearly at the top of my post. :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished The Wise Man's Fear. Stunning.

I'm getting my kids started on the Name of the Wind.

Leora (Dances With Books) | 7 comments I'm new here too! I can't believe how good The Name of the Wind is ... I loved Wise Man's Fear too. I don't know how I'm going to wait for the third one! I'm pretty new to this genre and I only finshed The Name and Wise Man's Fear a couple weeks ago. I've been recommending them to EVERYONE. The books are amazing. I'm going to go crazy before #3 comes out!!!!

message 12: by John (new)

John (gigalew) | 3 comments I have this problem. I have the Lady Lockless hopscotch poem going through my mind. I thought I would google it, maybe seeing it written down (I 'read' this on audio)would help me get it out of my head. Instead I found an entire thread here on goodreads devoted to it.

Soo. I read the thread and joined your group!

Thanks for having me.

message 13: by Patrícia (new)

Patrícia (pitty) | 1 comments Hi! I'm Patrícia, 22, and i'm from Portugal. I just finished the Name of the Wind and loved it! Hope i get an extra money to buy the Wise Man's Fear :)

Sorry for my english..

message 14: by Cathie (last edited Nov 14, 2012 11:23AM) (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 1 comments Hi, I'm new here and I'll probably lurk for awhile. I met Pat in Toronto at the Indigo book signing and got both books autographed by him. Score!! :-). My son is a huge fan of his; Pat's his favorite writer and Name of the Wind is his favorite book. My son works at Indigo/Coles and has convinced more than 150 people to buy his book. Huge fan. He's been trying to get me to read Pat's stuff for a long time now. I finally relinquished my stubborness. Tolkien and Gaiman might just get dethroned and that thought upsets and unnerves me...

message 15: by Philip (new)

Philip Martin | 1 comments Hi, Rothfussians! I've been a huge fan of Patrick's writing since I read The name of the Wind. Truly brilliant.

Me? I'm a writer, editor, and indie-press publisher. For some years I was acquisitions editor for The Writer Books, connected with The Writer magazine.

One of my recent books is A Guide to Fantasy Literature, in which I take a step back from the details of great fantasy books and series to look at the field as a whole. I'm not a scholar, more of a literary editor interested in fantasy stories as great literature.

Another recent work of mine is the book How To Write Your Best Story, a guide for writers on how to create better stories.

I also run a couple of blogs, Blue Zoo Writers with tips for writers, and Creeping Past Dragons for posts on fantasy lit.

I look forward to enjoying the posts from others in this group, as we await the third book! Lovely to hear from others with the same passions.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 117 comments Hello fellow Rothfussians! My name is Jessica Bruce, and I am from Nashville, TN. I just graduated from MTSU with a degree in graphic design. Hooray for job hunting!

I was given The Name of the Wind as a gift by a friend about 3 years ago. After a while I decided to read it. I had never been into the fantasy genre nor had anyone ever bought me a book that I did not request to own. Needless to say I was hooked from the start. I remember finishing the book and thinking...Where have you been all of my life!?

Last summer I read The Wise Man's Fear and was, once again, thrown into a grand adventure. I look forward to rereading these and preparing for the 3rd installment to the series.

I look forward to discussing the books with everyone.
Thanks!

message 17: by Mario (new)

Mario Ortíz  | 2 comments Hi! I don't want to delay anything so here it is: Mario, Mexican 16 year old male. I've been a great fan of Pat's books since I read The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear, afterwards. Looking forward to The Doors of Stone
I also love A Song of Ice and Fire,Discworld, Prydain latinoamerican writers, philosophy and dislike Harry Potter.
I have my KKC books full of small arrow-shaped post-its.
Certainly that's an accurate description.

message 18: by Holly (new)

Holly Taylor (hols_taytay) Hi I'm holly and I live in Yorkshire, England :) I'm currently half way through the wise man's fear and I'm loving every moment! When j saw this group the nerd side of me was in heaven! It's good to see such an amazing series getting recognised by fantasy fans ( and even the odd non- fantasy fan!). Have to admit I'm reading really slow because I just don't want this book to end! Can't wait for the third book! Keep writing Patrick!!!

message 19: by Felix (new)

Felix | 44 comments Sup,

I am Felix from the Amsterdam Netherlands. I am a law student/business owner .

I am extremely glad that i found Goodreads because most of my friends hardly read fiction and almost none read anything remotely similair to fantasy.

I love the genre though in general its more about good books,great characters and wonderous shaped words then about a specific label.

I just finished ''the name of the wind'' (read straight through in my free hours). I am a big fan of Abercromie,Eriksen,Tolkien, Martins (got to respect the classics) and Mielville as well.Then again i devour most authors (or example i also have all the books of Salvatore concerning the Forgotton realms. Drizzt is a wonderful character but there a little bit harder for be to get through).

Ooh and i am also a bit Harry Potter fan (something only my girlfriend does not ridicule me for).

Also up for some recommendations of what is should read next.

message 20: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 1471 comments Mod
Don't worry - I love Harry Potter too. LOL.

It's not a bad story! The last book was freakin' epic as hell!

....Did I mention how many times I've had to defend myself about Harry Potter? LOL

I have enjoyed Drizzt as well, but I know what you mean about sometimes being hard to get through. It has it's boring and repetetive points.

message 21: by Felix (new)

Felix | 44 comments Hi Amber,

Cool that your a Potter fan as well. Its strange though because it seems i can only share my appreciation of anything Potter with females. All my buddies always told me i should stop reading the about the funny wizard boy and get a controller in my hand and get some headshots. Cultural barbarians lol.

Anyways your words about Drizzt are so true. Its to classical and frankly all the books are a little short on plot. He has some great characters (Salvatore does) but its just battle after battle with little in between ( and he does not do battles as well as say an Abercromie).

Anyways thx for the reply. Let me know if you have any recommendations for me ( or if you like some imput from me. I read and own a lot more then i posted on the site. Going to put everything up this weekend ).Going to start with The wise mans fear now.

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 117 comments Felix wrote: "Sup,

I am Felix from the Amsterdam Netherlands. I am a law student/business owner .

I am extremely glad that i found Goodreads because most of my friends hardly read fiction and almost none read..."

" Don't worry- I love Harry Potter too. LOL."

I love Harry Potter too!! I turn into a 6 year old when I talk about it too. It's pretty ridiculous.

I might suggest Lev Grossman's The Magicians to you. It has been described as Harry Potter for adults. I just finished it and have to say it was pretty awesome. Take the magical world you dream of existing, mix it with college dorm life, and imagine being much deeper and darker than Potter...Then you have this book.

There is a sequel to it as well. I am not sure if there are supposed to be more though.
Welcome to the group!

message 23: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

I'll have to take a look at what style you like once you get some books up then. I'm reading David Edding's Belgariad right now and really enjoying it.

First one was kinda young for my tastes, but it has progressively gotten better as the main character grows up. Sorta like Harry Potter. Actually after reading the series I secretly believe Rowling may have stolen a few character concepts from it...LOL.

As far as Drizzt goes, I found that what I've read, which isnt the whole series, I think I read up to starless something or other...I'll have to look at my page now. But anyway, loved the prequal, Dark Elf Trilogy best.

Even if my favorite character is totally Entreri.
But indeed, it's classic Fantasy writing full of tropes. I think I mostly liked it because I'm a big fan of RPG Tabletop gaming and have been playing D&D 3.5 in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting since...well..always.

message 24: by Felix (new)

Felix | 44 comments Hi Jessica,

Thx for the welcome.

I am kind of the same when it comes to Potter. I especially enjoyed all those wonderful inventive terms and names Rowling was able to conjure out of her wonderful brain. Apart from the great characters and epic scope its just very charming.

And thanks for the tip. Definitely will check it out. Going to finish the wise mans fear first but will get to Lev Grossman this weekend.

message 25: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

Ooh, I've been wanting to read that book Jessica!

Did you review it? I would love read it if you did.

Also I noticed Felix, that you haven't read Sword of Truth yet? Or maybe you just haven't added it. I'd say you might give it a read. It was by no means my favorite series, but I thought most of the books were pretty decent and they envoke some passion. Plus, just seems like if you want to be well rounded in the genre, you gotta know about Goodkind LOL, even if it is just to enjoy a good joke at his expense... (At least from the Fantasy Genre fans I've ran into...)

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 117 comments Amber wrote: "Ooh, I've been wanting to read that book Jessica!

Did you review it? I would love read it if you did.

Also I noticed Felix, that you haven't read Sword of Truth yet? Or maybe you just haven't a..."

I finally wrote a review on it. I generally try to keep my reviews on my opinion and keep it spoiler free. I hope you get the chance to read it and enjoy as much as I did. :)

message 27: by Felix (new)

Felix | 44 comments Thx Amber,

Heard great things about the Belgariad as well.

Anyways my preference or style are pretty all over the place. My interest in general are pretty electic but even in the fantasy genre i am all over the place.

I do have a slight preferencr for the more realistic, gritty with a touch of melancholy
book( i think my favorite writers in the genre are Martins, Abercromie and Eriksen) . I basically like tragic somewhat morose stories. I guess its to counter balance my somewhat chirpy personality.

Then again i like epic sweeping fantasy as well, i like the classic stuff ( worm of Ouroboros , Tolkien,Pullman ( if he can be classified with the rest of them)and i even read a few warhammer and dungeons and dragons type books.

Cool that you like D and D. Never been into it to much myself but i have played an boardgame at times and do like their videogames.

message 28: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

I haven't played the boardgames, though I've heard they can be fun.

I think if you haven't already read Sword of Truth, based on your above described likes, you'd probably enjoy it. Some of the scenes are a little over descriptive for my tastes. (Such as war crimes and what not) But I didn't think it was bad or anything. Some people are turned off by the objectivist rhetoric that seems to get more and more pronounced as the series goes forward, but it never really bothered me. I actually loved the main character, Richard. Also I felt the love story with Richard and Kahlan + the extreme description of battles and casualties, sorta makes the novels very easy to share between genders.

message 29: by Felix (new)

Felix | 44 comments Ooh no,

Goodkin. Kind been dreaded the moment i have to delve into him lol. Big proponents of Ayn Rand really never rate high on my list. But i guess i should not hold it against the man writing abilities. I heard the series where kind of dry though. Akin to Jordan( still need to slug through him as well). I should not complain though. I think i still like both but i always try to read a series in quick succession. This has posed problems at times ( like with Salvatore).

I was personally thinking of starting with chronicles of Thomas Covenant next. Heard great things about it. Suppose to be really original. Read it and if so any good?

message 30: by Felix (new)

Felix | 44 comments The boardgames are OK. I more into videogames i am afraid to admit. Especially now that i am so busy with Uni, work and my girlfriend ( who not really into fantasy at all... Girl reads the odd fiction book but its most fashion and interior design with her) since she is leaving for Australia in two months.

Will check out Goodkind eventually. Your enthousiasm kind of made me rethink my previous position.

Thx for all the imput btw much appreciated.

message 31: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

Oddly, someone actually just GAVE me all the Thomas Covenant books to read because they were obsessed with them and had been following my reading online...

So I havent read them, but they are totally on my list as well. Heard lots of good stuff about them. Figured I'd pick them up when I finished Belgariad. I'm not that fastest reader in the world LOL.

I actually didn't know Goodkind was so into Objectivism when I first started the series, it's not too prominent until like the 5th book. Even then it's actually not THAT bad imo, it really just portrays the perfect version of objectivism, which I'm not against, I just think is hardly possible realistically. Suffice to say, it's not so annoying since it's in a fictional and fantastical setting. I just wouldn't call it my favorite series primarily because I felt he sometimes overused shock value to distract from places his writing was lacking.

message 32: by Felix (new)

Felix | 44 comments Thx for all the imput Amber.

Definitely going to check your site out as well.Anyways you been a treasure trove of info and good advice so far. Let me know if you be open to me adding you as a friend. Not exactly familiar with how this friend thing here works but you seem like a cool chick so it would be a privilege and a pleasure.

As for reading fast, i wish i did. I do get something over myself though. Its really hard for me to put a good book down after i started. Reading sparingly and pacing myself are virtues i lack i am afraid. Its strange because it never goes away with books ( while videogames, gym or my weird need to cite insanely weird but somewhat cute, her words not mine, poems to my girl aka with most other things in life , i did manage it).

I just start reading the Covenant Chronicles so i hopefully can be of some service to you in the near future.

message 33: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

No problem - I'm sorta a chatty cathy.....especially on the subject of books and opinions LOL.

Feel free to add me as a friend, Everyone who I am friends with I've met on Goodreads one place or another. I think everyone's friends are kinda like that on here...

Hope you have fun around these boards, but watch out for Spoilers, if it's something that bothers you, I don't think we marked all of them - LOL.

I have a good time on the ASOIAF boards as well if you are interested them, they are pretty active.

message 34: by Manda (last edited Jan 29, 2013 03:28PM) (new)

Manda | 115 comments I joined this group about a month ago and I suppose I failed to introduce myself.

Hello everyone! I'm Manda and I really love to read. I started with about ten million horse books when I was a little girl, worked my way through fifty billion YA thriller/horror novels as a pre-teen, and then began gobbling up classics. Now I find I enjoy books in just about every genre.

I started getting into fantasy about a year ago when a friend lent me ASOIAF and now I'm completely hooked. If anyone has recommendations for me, I'd love to hear them. I'm on a fantasy binge right now but I'd be interested in hearing about your favorites in any genre.

message 35: by Felix (new)

Felix | 44 comments Cool..
Sorry for the late reply. Already delved into "The wise man's fear".

I give you and add. I am kind of chatty myself so i guess we match up pretty nicely in that regard. Its pretty liberating to finally being able to chat about fantasy themed books. My inly source of conversation till now has been pretty much the clerk at the American book centre ( big bookstore in Amsterdam).

I gets busy on both the forums of both sites.

And thx for the headsup regarding the spoilers. Usually don't visit post before in finish the book in question but still good to know.

message 36: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

It is pretty fun to find people who share your interests. I enjoy it here quite a bit, as I'm sure you're coming to realize LOL!

It's actually pretty crazy when you think about it. I now have people I would consider friends all over the globe!!

message 37: by Felix (new)

Felix | 44 comments Hi Manda,

Welcome. I guess where sort of pies in a pod because i am on a bit of a fantasy binge myself.

Now i am hardly as knowledgable or well read in the genre as most here but i see if i can help out with some advice.

I am a big fan of both Eriksen and Abercromie. You might be open to them since i took a peak and saw you enjoyed the song of fire and ice saga.

There both great writers. Eriksen can be hard to get through for some though. He creates and epic world with layer upon layer of gods, races and characters. I found his books cery rewarding though. Itsvery original, somewhat bleak but rather beautiful in a tragic sense. He is not afraid to kill his darling.

Abercromie is more accessable. He kind of is close to Martin in the sense that all the characters are of grey disposition if you catch my drift. Magic plays a role but like with the song of fire and ice ( even more so) its influence in the world is fading. The characters are wonderful, the world is interesting yet contained and the sprawl on minor characters is kept to a minimum. His books are rather brutal in nature so they might not be to everybodies liking. I always appreciate the roll he gives to his females characters especially. There always strong, generally more witty then the male characters and never pressed in traditional roles.He almost takes a cinamatic approach ( i find his verse quit sparse) in the best way possible. He is also not afraid to play around with genre and is suprisingly apt at it ( his two "stand alone "novels).

You might also want check out China Mivielle Bas Lag series ( Perdido street station, the Scar and the Iron council). Its more steampunk , sci fi esque but really no genre really covers his uniqueness. The world he creates is wonderfully weird and intriguing. His others books are great as well.

Hope i could be of some help. And if you have and recommendations for me, please feel free.

message 38: by Felix (new)

Felix | 44 comments I know.

I also spend a lot of time abroad so i always had friends in a lot of places but i really glad that i found a site like this.

I really do not have enough spare time for a bookclub and for fantasy fiction there near impossible to find in my city.

Plus my most friends just dont read (anymore). Either they workaholics ( had some problems in that area myself), hardcore gamers, fitness freaks or supossedly hipster ( and yet still only read magazines).So is non fiction, work related reports or fashion magazines for them.

message 39: by Colin (new)

Colin | 23 comments hi guys I'm Colin you should give Brandon Sanderson a go too if you haven't already and peter v Brett's daylight war also. Amber is like the most insightful person I know on this..she always makes me look at characters in ways I haven't thought of..I'm officially addicted to goodreads now.

message 40: by Manda (last edited Jan 30, 2013 09:59AM) (new)

Manda | 115 comments Thanks guys! I have read one book by Abercrombie, Best Served Cold, and I enjoyed it even though (view spoiler) I will definitely check out more books from him.

Eriksen and Sanderson are both on my list. Any particular books I should start with for them?

message 41: by Manda (new)

Manda | 115 comments Curses! How do I hide spoilers?

message 42: by Felix (new)

Felix | 44 comments Hi Manda,

Unfortunately i cannot tell you a lot about Sanderson. But i heard his Mistborn series is suppose to be pretty good.

With Eriksen you really have to start at the beginning. Some people find it a slog. I personally liked Gardens of the Moon but i noticed a lot of people where more particular to the later books and saw Gardens as trial of tribulation.

I do think the series should be appreciated as a whole ( quit a read but i found it, up till now, very rewarding) so there is not much room for leeway.

His Novella are quit good as well especially if you have a fondness for more horrorlike stories.

Plus his fellow author Esslemont ( fellow author on some boons) novels are pretty great as well.

message 43: by Felix (new)

Felix | 44 comments Btw i personally thought "Best served called" was the weakest of Abercromies books. Still a joy by all means but i prefered the trilogy, the Heroes and Red country over " Best served cold".

More then a few woul disagree though. Still you really need to start with the trilogy to get a good feel for the world and meet two of his most epic characters ( Glokta is especially a "delight").

Then again so many books so little time.

message 44: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

You know Manda, that's one trick I have yet to figure out.

Some people are really good at it though. - I'll bet Thistlepong knows....

I haven't read Abercrombie at all! I started Mistborn, got about 200 pgs in and gave up because I was bored. Then one of my other friends on here told me I should have read to 250 because it really picks up from there...so it's back on my too read list...

message 45: by Speaker (new)

Speaker (Speaker4theDead) | 34 comments Colin,
Peter Brett equals heck yeah, cant wait till the 4th.
That series saved me while waiting on WMF.

message 46: by Colin (new)

Colin | 23 comments manda..start with mistborn and stick with it(tut tut Amber..lol) it is so different to most fantasy books at the moment with loads of twists and turns..also please read Abercrombie trilogy..in fact stop what your doing right now and start it immediately...go on....still here???...lol..seriously got some superb characters...enjoy it.

message 47: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 117 comments Please do not crucify me. But what is the Abercrombie trilogy? My knowledge of fantasy is Rothfuss, GRRM, Tolkein, and Harry Potter. Therefore i am new to the genre. I am also really picky about the genre as i have tried to read stiff in three past and gotten bored or irritated with the cliches.

message 48: by Felix (new)

Felix | 44 comments Hi Jes,

No worries. Its "the blade itself" trilogy. I guess you can say it is close "a song of fire and ice" i the sense that the characters are morally ambiguous,the roll played by magic is limited, is a rather brutal and harsh world and there lot of epic battles and skirmishes.

Its more focused though. The proze is slightly less expensive, the cast of minor characters is less confusing (though also slightly less epic) and t

message 49: by Felix (new)

Felix | 44 comments Sorry something went wrong there. Was trying to correct expensive into expansive when my iphone froze up...
and hence the world feels a little more sparsely populated.

Still i think the characters are even more richely drawn. The are more human in all there inhumanity and the sense of humor is even more wry and black ( hence even more enjoyable).

To me Abercromie writes like a movie or videogame. I might sell his proze a little short hereby but i mean it as a compliment.Most fun fantasy books i ever read.

message 50: by thistlepong, Master Namer (new)

thistlepong | 340 comments Mod
(view spoiler)

« previous 1