Terminalcoffee discussion

Celebrate > St. Patrick's Day

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Wednesday is St. Patrick's Day. I almost forgot, but I was observing a group of first graders today and they were talking about it, so I remembered.

Do you wear green? Get drunk? Now, now, I don't mean to stereotype the Irish, but I grew up in Chicago, and St. Patrick's Day is a huge spring blowout there.

I always tell the kids I saw a leprechaun and then green cupcakes appear. I'll probably make them myself this year instead of getting them from a store.

You?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

My wife puts green dye in the toilet to make the water green, and in the milk to make it green. I will wear green, but don't go drink green beer anymore.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) The St Pat's Day parade and celebration occurred Saturday in Omaha. It's a really big deal here. Lots of very drunk people staggering around the Old Market area for hours on end. I had to fight my way through the crowds when I walked over for my 10 AM hair appointment. It's a really family event, though.

My hair stylist lives above the salon. She posted on FB that she had to lock herself in her bathroom because some drunk guy was trying to break into her apartment door.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I have an Irish bar as of this week (!), so I will be there except for the few hours when I have to go play a show elsewhere.
It's an awesome bar - it has been open since 1847, and in the same location (across the street from the original) since 1863.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

So Sarah is a bar owner. Is there a restaurant too?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

If you were a little closer, I could be your "Norm".

I take that back, I just can't drink that much anymore.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jim wrote: "So Sarah is a bar owner. Is there a restaurant too?"

Yep! Not Irish food though, except tomorrow.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Wait. Sarah owns a bar now?

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) RandomAnthony wrote: "Wait. Sarah owns a bar now?"

Where have you been?

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I swear, I somehow missed this. What thread? I'm sorry, Sarah, I would have said something had I noticed...please let me drink there...:)

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yeah, Larry's already a facebook fan :)
Search "Patrick's of Pratt" in Facebook and it should come up as a fan page. Or "Patricks O'Pratt" for friending purposes.
DON'T google the dot com. The web page is awful and the menu is out of date and I don't have time to fix it yet. It plays music at you and crashes your computer.

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oh, I haven't been on facebook much...I'll go fan-up now. Congrats, Sarah!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "Oh, I haven't been on facebook much...I'll go fan-up now. Congrats, Sarah!"

Yeah, I deactivated my account for awhile, so I missed it too.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

If I'm Norm RA, you can be Cliff :-).

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Thanks! I would love for you guys to Norm & Cliff it up. We have a couple of candidates already, but I think you might be entertaining.

Sunday was the parade, and we opened but we weren't sure what to expect because we haven't had time to do anything but word of mouth yet...but it worked!
Half the parade showed up, including the firemen's drum & bagpipe brigade, which serenaded us VERY loudly.
I had to relearn how to pour a pint of Guinness and how to use a cash register, but I did pretty well.

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I know some bartenders who are very particular about the "right" way to pour a beer. School us, Pi! What's the right way to pour a beer?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought Cliff knew everything!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm no bartender, but for Guinness you have to be particular. You put the glass right up so it's touching the tap and angle it and then you pour until it gets about 2/3 of the way up the glass. Then you let it sit for 2-3 minutes, and then you pour the rest without even holding the glass up.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
Hooray 4.13! If I could I'd totally come get wankered at your bar.

>>>Back to St Patrick's Day. It was a big deal to my Irish mom when I was growing up. By "big deal" I mean she made sure we were sheathed in green from head to toe. She would pinch any and all of my friends who weren't in green.
When I moved to Portland I was astounded at the SIZE and GIRTH of the St Pat's festival - city blocks shut down, beer tents set up, drunks staggering everywhere, singing aloud.

I've only had green beer once in my life. It was gross, grosser than green food coloring in scrambled eggs because it was just green food coloring in nasty Bud Light.
I like me a good Boddington's. That's Irish, right?

<<

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, didn't we talk about the pinching thing last year? What's the pinching rule?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Simple, RA. Those not wearing green get pinched.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm concerned about that. I don't think I own any green. Would a green hat count?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yes, I think a green hat would definitely count, Sarah.

message 24: by Sally, la reina (new)

My prof. from Iowa didn't know about the pinching thing either. Is this a midwest politeness thing?

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Definitely not Sally.

message 26: by Her (new)

Her Majesty (hermajesty) | 122 comments I love that everyone goes green on this day.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Her wrote: "I love that everyone goes green on this day."

Sometimes they even wear green on this day :-)

message 28: by Her (new)

Her Majesty (hermajesty) | 122 comments Jim wrote: "Her wrote: "I love that everyone goes green on this day."

Sometimes they even wear green on this day :-)"

hehehe, .. yea, I didn't get myself either.

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That Jim.

message 30: by Sally, la reina (new)

I just realized I have no green maternity clothes.

message 31: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments I'm wearing green! And I'm a Fan of Patrick's of Pratt!

But no green beer.

message 32: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I kind of wonder if green water in a toilet is disturbing/distracting.

message 33: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I'm just so so on St. Patricks Day but my husband celebrates it furiously every year. It's a little gross, actually. He wears tons of green and starts drinking at noon. I was receiving drunk texts as of 30 minutes ago. Last year he verbally abused a neighbor (the nasty bitch did deserve it, though.)He's very mild mannered normally but this is like his Incredible Hulk day. I dread it.

message 34: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Oh, except I LOVE corned beef and cabbage and I always eat that on St. Patrick's Day.

message 35: by Sally, la reina (new)

How fitting that he becomes the Hulk on St Patty's Day.

message 36: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Gretchen wrote: "I'm just so so on St. Patricks Day but my husband celebrates it furiously every year. It's a little gross, actually. He wears tons of green and starts drinking at noon. I was receiving drunk texts ..."

Ha! This is awesome. That reminds me of the Chicago parade.