Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Confess Your Daily Screw-Ups

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Today I called a friend I've known for years by the wrong name. His name is "Mahmood" and I called him "Ahmad". Yep, all you guys from the middle east are named Ahmad, right? Christ, I'm an idiot.

You?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Nothing yet today, but it's early.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I very seldom screw up admit screwing up.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
I break/drop something at least three times a day. My tiny, doughy hands are all puffy from water retention and even less useful than ever. Just now I dropped a stack of mixing bowls as I was trying to put them away, they got away from me, bounced off the edge of the counter, and went all over the kitchen.
Sweeter just said "your regular hands are going to return after the pregnancy, right? right???"

message 5: by Cambridge (last edited Mar 16, 2010 10:18AM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments I am blushing for you Random *hahaha*- oopsie!
I pretty regularly text a message to the wrong person on a regular basis and then have to explain myself as I leave so many open text threads going in my text files on my phone. On several occasions it has been very embarrassing and I have had to fib a little about what I was referring to :)

message 6: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Ouch, RA. I once did an interview with someone who had a similar name to a name I see on goodreads all the time, and when I wrote the story, I used the goodreadser's name. Fortunately, I caught it before it went to print and was able to fix it. That would have been embarrassing.

I too drop stuff a lot, Sally. This morning I dropped used coffee grounds on my kitchen floor.

When I'm in Olympia, I'm known as the Bridget Jones of the capitol press corps. I've done things like interview the governor with toast in my teeth or a big clump of cat hair on my blazer. If I can find a way to embarrass myself in front of the governor, I usually do.

message 7: by Her (new)

Her Majesty (hermajesty) | 122 comments Barb wrote: "I've been lucky so far today."

moi aussi. plus, I'm not really a believer in the confessing approach.

RA, both names come from the same family, .. they have another brother I think c:

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I thought that the name of one of the reference librarians here was Charlie, and I called him that several times before someone let me know his name was Mike.
Why Mike himself didn't correct me, I really don't know!

message 9: by D.M. (new)

D.M. (dstroke) I got a late in school, homework in every subject, and I have a 2 hour band concert tonight.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I just screwed up my email account. I was trying to access it on-line, I couldn't remember what the password was. I now can't get it reset as the company will only speak to my husband not me.

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ha...thanks people...luckily Ahmad/Mahmood didn't hear me, I don't think.

I tried to shortcut directions to my son's swim meet and got very lost for about 15 minutes.

When I rush I break things, and then I get mad at myself for rushing. Sally, please post a pic of your tiny hands.

Cambridge texts. I can't do that very easily.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 16, 2010 05:07PM) (new)

You can't Text? (I cheat. I always get phones that have a qwerty keyboard)

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

They're gross, RA. I really can't.

message 14: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Sally you must, I am so intrigued after all the talk :). Gail what is a qwerty keyboard? And I don't have trouble texting I just tend to jump right into responding since I am thinking of the response but I don't check to see what thread I am on and end up sending a response to the WRONG person, always causing them to go 'HUH???" WTF? are you talking about? .....

And Random I always get lost when I try short cuts then I get annoyed and feel rushed and wish I had stuck to the route I should have done, but then insist "I can do this" all the while being pissed off that time is ticking away and that I am now late! I do however, always figure out "a" different route (not short cut as it has now taken me longer haha) because I actually do have a good sense of direction but I am always late doing it and mad that I have wasted the time.

message 15: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments His name is "Mahmood"

When I first read it I thought you said his name is Manhood. That would have been funny.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome DMIratoo.

A qwerty keyboard is just a regular desk top keyboard layout where the top line of letters starts out from left to right QWERTY.

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) QWERTYUIOP

message 18: by Mary (last edited Mar 16, 2010 07:25PM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I had a transexual patient once (male to female) woh was having some surgery which required HER to stop taking her hormones for a few weeks before the surgery. As a result she had...masculinized a bit. I was sooooo careful all night to call her "MS. So-and-So" and was almost home free when the OR techs came to get her for surgery in the morning, then I loudly announced, standing right at the bedside, "yes, HE'S ready." I immediately corrected myself but I was mortified. She didn't seem to mind but I couldn't even look her in the eye as they wheeled her out of the room.

Haven't done anything like that today but the night is young!

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 16, 2010 07:50PM) (new)

Cambridge wrote: "Sally you must, I am so intrigued after all the talk :). Gail what is a qwerty keyboard? And I don't have trouble texting I just tend to jump right into responding since I am thinking of the resp..."

Cambridge, I assumed you could text. The reference was to RA who said he struggles msg12.

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments how small are sally's mitts?

message 21: by Rannie (new)

Rannie I walked up behind a customer - 6 ft tall, broad shoulders, hips narrower than my son's, short hair, bomber jacket and jeans - and said "how can I help you, sir." She turned, and said "did you call me sir? Why do people keep calling me sir?" I apologized, and said I'd misspoke. Some languages have different pronouns for familiar and formal. I think it's time we added nongender-specific modes of address for people we don't know well. Or I guess I could just
abandon my roots and drop the sir and mam.

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "how small are sally's mitts?"

Yeah -- picture, please.

message 23: by Paula (new)

Paula Today is better but I started yesterday morning by seeing a strange object on the bedroom floor, not knowing what it was due to lack of sunlight in the pre-dawn, then deciding to kick it with my foot. Turned out my dog was sick all over the house and I just kicked one of the bigger piles, thereby mashing it further into the bedroom carpet.

Note to self - don't kick random unknown objects in half-light.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments [gag reflex kicking in:]

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's pretty bad.

message 26: by Paula (new)

Paula Sorry - should have held back my story.

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) No that's not what I meant.

message 28: by Paula (new)

Paula The good news is I am now the proud owner of a kick-a*s carpet cleaner machine thingy :)

message 29: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Cool.

message 30: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 17, 2010 01:07AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Gretchen wrote: "His name is "Mahmood"

When I first read it I thought you said his name is Manhood. That would have been funny."

Heh. I'll call him "Manhood" next and see what he says. He'd probably laugh.

When I had really long hair in college every now and then people would think I was a woman.

message 31: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I tend to do this quite a bit: when a waiter or waitress tells me to enjoy my meal, I reply, "you too!"

Duh.

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I do that, too, Gus.

message 33: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments Daily I screw up on my promise to myself that I won't curse at the stupid drivers in front of me. Near-daily, I f*&*^k it up.

I also mix up names a lot. Sometimes, I just don't bother to use any. "Hey, you!" can be very handy.

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

Gus, have you heard this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2-5mD...

message 35: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Oh the irony of this thread. When I saw is posted yesterday morning, I was shocked to have nothing to add. My luck is usually not so good. But as luck would have it, yesterday I had the most embarrassing moment occur. Curse you RA :).

*TMI Alert*

So, Monday night, B.O.B. (battery operated boyfriend) died. It was tragic. Nearly cried when I threw him in the garbage. Last night, I arrive home from work, leash up my dog, tie up the trash, and walk to the compactor. On the way, a kind male neighbor, also in route to the compactor, kindly offers to take my garbage. I thank him and hand it over. Two seconds later I think SH!T, b.o.b.'s in there, please god don't let him be pressed against the bag. So the guy goes to sling the bag into the compactor, and as he does, my bag comes untied and b.o.b. rolls out. *dies*

message 36: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Did the guy see, Heather? Did he say anything? Did you say, "from where did that come?" and walk away whistling?

message 37: by Heather (last edited Mar 17, 2010 08:59AM) (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Oh yes he saw, rolled right to his foot. His eyes nearly bugged out of his head. This is the way it went down:
Me: "I'll get him, I knew I should have given him a proper burial"
*chucked it into the compactor
dude: laughs "I'm sure it was a good death"
me: "yup, line of duty and all"

I then walked away in mortification.

message 38: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I think Heather wins Best Story Ever. Until the next Best Story Ever comes along.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I second that Gus.

message 40: by Cambridge (last edited Mar 17, 2010 11:24AM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments HOLY SHIT I AM IN TEARS THAT IS THE BEST STORY HEATHER!!! I AM SO SORRY! BUT THAT IS FANTASTIC! MOST DEFINITELY BEST STORY EVER, until . . . . :) (sorry sally i had to use the dots :) )

message 41: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments Well at least I win best story ever out of it :)

message 42: by Cambridge (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments Rolling out onto his foot is just classic! Thank you so much for sharing that has truly made my day! I am still giggling! :)

message 43: by janine (last edited Mar 17, 2010 12:05PM) (new)

janine | 7715 comments loved the story, heather! i think i'm going to play that in my mind when i do something embarrassing so i won't feel so bad.

message 44: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments janine wrote: "loved the story, heather! i think i'm going to play that in my mind when i do something embarrassing so i won't feel so bad."

Lovely, I'm a bench mark, lol.

Glad to help Cambridge.

message 45: by Rannie (new)

Rannie "When I first read it I thought you said his name is Manhood. That would have been funny."

That's a great mneumonic.

message 46: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It gives me mneumonia.

message 47: by Rannie (new)

Rannie new money, eh?

message 48: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ha! Yes.

message 49: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments heather - thanks

message 50: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments heather - do you now have lots of help taking your trash out now?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.