The Sword and Laser discussion

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments So who is enjoying Caprica? I really like all the ideas and the plot but I am finding the execution a little slow.

Also 'some' of the casting is way off. That comedian chat show dude is not right!

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 10 comments I'm mostly disappointed in Caprica. Too much focus on teenage drama and V-world (which equates to more teenage drama in the form of video games). I get the feeling the writers are more concerned with the 18-25 demographic of the advertisers than providing quality science fiction cutting-edge gritty drama. I so miss BSG.

message 3: by Vance (new)

Vance | 362 comments It was moving too slowly for me. Too much drama and angst (both among the teenagers AND their parents!), and not enough action and pacing. Yes, it starts with the death of kids, which is not a positive note, but that gloom seemed to permeate the show for the first few episodes and I couldn't take it.

message 4: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1671 comments Mod
I'm sticking with it for now. The last couple of episodes have been pretty intriguing, and I want to see where they go with it Maybe it's a loyalty thing :)

message 5: by Ben (new)

Ben | 116 comments I like it so far. I don't think it can not be gloomy, given what we know happens to everybody in 58 years.

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Littler (alittler) | 24 comments Although watching it, I do not do so with any semblance of a reason, it is the most hammiest and fistiest sci-fi drama I can remember

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2844 comments I couldn't get into BSG but I love Caprica, so it looks like I'm in the minority. I love the difference in cultures and learning more about the Taurons (the grandmother is scary!!). I think it is partially because I'm so familiar with virtual worlds.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments Could also be age/sex thing. I'm older male and do find it a bit teen angsty - but I too will stick with it

message 9: by Will (new)

Will (w13rdo) | 37 comments I'm a devoted completionist. Something has to be absolutely horrid for me to abandon it midstream. But Caprica I'm liking, and the last couple of episodes have picked up. If you listen to the podcasts, Ickes and Moore decided to change the tone and direction a bit as they weren't liking where it was going in the first 5, so 6/7 on start showing the change. And yes, that grandmother is scary.

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikespencer) | 60 comments I'm still a couple episodes behind, but I intend to catch up and stick with it, though admittedly, I was really close to giving up after only 3 or 4 episodes. The pacing is really slow and I find that I just don't particularly care for any of the characters. It's really hard to relate to any of them, but it wouldn't be a Ronald D. Moore show if the characters didn't have their fair share of flaws.

What I do like is the story. It may be slow, but it still has a good deal of intrigue.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2844 comments Has anyone seen this week's episode this week, you'll know what I'm hinting at if I say the dog with the ball? !!!

message 12: by Chad (new)

Chad | 2 comments I wasn't so impressed, but I began to listen to the official podcasts and found myself much more interested. If you want to like Caprica but just don't, you might want to give them a listen...

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments time and again caprica is failing. the production is very slick and the tech is cool but some of the story lines either dont work or are badly implemented. adama for one tough taran? hmmm

message 14: by John (new)

John (jaydark) | 1 comments Yeah, I'm with a lot of other people. I liked the pilot episode, but once the series began, I started to lose interest. I'm always 2 or 3 episodes behind because I have to get in the mood to watch a teen drama. I like the world and a lot of the tech concepts, but the characters & story line just doesn't grab me the way BSG did.

message 15: by Christian (new)

Christian Cantrell (christiancantrell) I loved the pilot. Saw it three times. But I haven't gotten into the series yet. I've watched the first three episodes, and they didn't grab me. Should I get caught up and stick with it?

BSG, on the other hand, gripped me from the very beginning. In fact, I still remember watching the very first episode (33) on a plane after snickering at the idea of a BSG remake. I was in complete shock. I've seen that episode (which I still think is some of the best TV ever made) probably five or six times by now.

I don't have the same enthusiasm for Caprica, but I'm wondering if I should give it more time. What do you think?

message 16: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 10 comments I'm relieved the first season is over. I doubt I'll continue watching the series.

message 17: by Alan (last edited Apr 21, 2010 05:45PM) (new)

Alan (professoralan) I slowly got into it, and will probably keep watching it when it comes back.

message 18: by Paul (last edited Apr 22, 2010 03:11AM) (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments I had tapped the last episode before the midseason break and had started to watch it (so flagged as watched in sky box) and my wife deleted it. Doh!

Ah well lets hope they show it again before it starts up again.

message 19: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 10 comments You should be able to watch it streaming from the Syfy website or Hulu.

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments don't get me started on hulu - we UK'ers are not inside that world!!! :(

Will check the SyFy (Sic - or sick) channel but I suspect the same problem. Thanks for suggestions though.

Paul

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments Paul wrote: "don't get me started on hulu - we UK'ers are not inside that world!!! :(

Will check the SyFy (Sic - or sick) channel but I suspect the same problem. Thanks for suggestions though.

Paul"

Nope - SyFy is the same - meh!

message 22: by Contrast (new)

Contrast | 6 comments I'm enjoying Caprica. It's a different beast then BSG, but still has enough interesting story lines, characters, and future tech to keep me watching.

That's to bad about hulu and SyFy in the UK, it's restrictions like that which lead people to piracy.

message 23: by Philip (new)

Philip (heard03) | 383 comments I get Veronica and William, I've got a lot of loyalty from BSG and desire to see this thing through. I wish the characters(at least a couple of them) were more likable, they all seem to be overpowered by their negative traits. The origins of the Cylons and their religion is a compelling story, I hope the show is executed better in Season 2.