Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Spectacular Series > Sara Donati- Into The Wilderness

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
Into the Wilderness (Wilderness, #1) by Sara Donati Dawn on a Distant Shore (Wilderness, #2) by Sara Donati Lake in the Clouds (Wilderness, #3) by Sara Donati Fire Along the Sky (Wilderness, #4) by Sara Donati Queen of Swords (Wilderness, #5) by Sara Donati The Endless Forest (Wilderness, #6) by Sara Donati

I have only read the first one, and I really enjoyed it. Anyone else read this series, or plan to?

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments I read the first two. I really liked the 1st one and the second was pretty good. In all fairness to Ms. Donati I had just finished Outlander series and was doing a lot of comparing. I think that if I had allowed sometime between them or came upon ITW first I would have liked it more. I may pick up Lake in the Clouds one day.

message 3: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I have just started the 2nd one Dawn on a Distant Shore Dawn on a Distant Shore (Wilderness, #2) by Sara Donati and I am not in to it. Does it get better? Is it worth pushing forward? I am thinking of putting it down for awhile ...... And why are the first two not on Kindle?!!

message 4: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Regina wrote: "I have just started the 2nd one Dawn on a Distant Shore Dawn on a Distant Shore (Wilderness, #2) by Sara Donati and I am not in to it. Does it get better? Is it worth pushing forward? I am thin..."

My girlfriend, (who happens to be an avid 'Outlander-er... and TBH enthusiast) Loved the entire series. Read them in 2 weeks. I have only read the first one.

message 5: by Regina (last edited Mar 16, 2010 02:03PM) (new)

Regina (reginar) Hmm, then maybe it is just me. Or maybe I have "reader's block". :)

message 6: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Regina wrote: "Hmm, then maybe it is just me. Or maybe I have "reader's block". :)"

Oh no... It's spreading...;)

message 7: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Regina wrote: "I have just started the 2nd one Dawn on a Distant Shore Dawn on a Distant Shore (Wilderness, #2) by Sara Donati and I am not in to it. Does it get better? Is it worth pushing forward? I am thin..."

Regina,
I LOVED book 1, but tried to read book 2 and couldn't finish it.

message 8: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Okay, that makes me feel better. I am going to try and read it on my train ride home from work (25 min) and if I am not hooked by then, I am giving up.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Regina wrote: "Hmm, then maybe it is just me. Or maybe I have "reader's block". :)"

I don't think the second was as good as the 1st. If I recall Nathaniel isn't in it as much?

message 10: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Right now it is being told from his POV, but I am only at the beginning (pg. 44) when he is in Montreal with Robbie trying to get Hawkeye and Otter.

message 11: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) What is TBH? Maybe I should be reading that? :)

message 12: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Ahh figured it out, The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simons The Bronze Horseman

message 13: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Such a good book! TBH!!! :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Best book of all time TBH ****sigh****

message 15: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Better than Outlander?

message 16: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Just as good... its hard to compare the two because they are so wonderful!

message 17: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Regina wrote: "Better than Outlander?"

Different than Outlander, I wouldn't say better... definatly on par though.

message 18: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Okay, but on my TR shelf. Excited to have something to look forward to!

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) In my opinion, not better than Outlander.
I'm depressed about Dawn on a Distant Shore (Wilderness, #2) by Sara Donati though. I just bought it...

message 20: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Why you disappointed? Is it not good, Heather?

message 21: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Heather wrote: "In my opinion, not better than Outlander.
I'm depressed about Dawn on a Distant Shore (Wilderness, #2) by Sara Donati though. I just bought it..."

Heather, I couldn't get into it. I returned it to the library. I think I read like 100 pages too.

message 22: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I couldn't get into that book either and was so disappointed because I loved Into The Wilderness. Although there was a cover blurb on one of the books for DG and that's how I discovered Outlander.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Shell wrote: "Why you disappointed? Is it not good, Heather?"

Because everyone is saying they couldn't get into it... makes me think maybe I bought a dud.

message 24: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Rhonda has read them all, and loved 'em.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 35 comments Shell wrote: "Into the Wilderness (Wilderness, #1) by Sara DonatiDawn on a Distant Shore (Wilderness, #2) by Sara DonatiLake in the Clouds (Wilderness, #3) by Sara DonatiFire Along the Sky (Wilderness, #4) by Sara DonatiQueen of Swords (Wilderness, #5) by Sara Donati[bookcover:Th..."

I have read the whole series..LOVED them all..the first book is the best..and I like the following stories of the lives of their children without loosing the parents in the books..the last book I cried...it is not like outlander! to me it was special in its own way..wonder what the author will do next? ( outlander still holds 1st place )

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 35 comments Regina wrote: "Ahh figured it out, The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simons The Bronze Horseman"

have you read the sequel? Tatiana and Alexandershes also got a 3rd one coming out .

message 27: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

The 3rd.. The Summer Garden (Tatiana and Alexander, #3) by Paullina Simons is allready out... but hard to find.. Most of us Shura obsessees had to order them used from Amazon.. But they are all being re-relased. First with The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons ( New Edition already out... my fave cover), I believe Tatiana and Alexander (book 2) is out in October?.. Then The summer Garden sometime after that.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Oh my lordy! I'm maybe halfway through Dawn on a Distant Shore Dawn on a Distant Shore (Wilderness, #2) by Sara Donati and it is INTENSE!! I don't know if I can handle it. I've been reading and shouting out obscenities for about 30 pages now...I'm quite beside myself here!!

message 29: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Okay... You've twisted my virtual arm... I'll read it next... Now my interest is piqued.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Okay, I just finished Dawn... it was one of the BEST books that I've ever read! I think I may actually like it more than the first, and I loved the first as well!
While reading it, I couldn't help my automatic habit of imagining Nathaniel as a braw, auburn-haired man with cat eyes and a sharp nose; her writing is quite similar to that of DG (though don't get me wrong, not as good, but pretty darn close).
Please everyone, read it so we can discuss!

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Shell, has Rhonda read all 6 of the Wilderness series? I had no idea that there were so many!

message 32: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Yes, she has, and loved them. I've started Dawn, very good so far.

message 33: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Heather, how long did it take you to get pulled in? I found the first 50 pages really slow and boring so I stopped. I would love to hear at what point you were pulled in.

message 34: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I am reading it aswell, Regina.. I am really enjoying it. Not sure how long it took me to really get involved with the story, maybe it was Heather's enthusiasm that kept me motivated from page one.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) I think maybe when Nathaniel left to go rescue his dad and Otter. I knew it would be a shit show and I was a nervous wreck about it... maybe around page 39, Chapter 4?

message 36: by Regina (last edited Jul 10, 2010 12:23PM) (new)

Regina (reginar) Hmmmm ...... I read that part and wasn't into it. But I do love Nathanial. Maybe I will turn back to it ... Thanks for the inspiration!!

message 37: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I think the fact that I was reading a real book v an ebook may have made the difference for me. I just went to buy it in an ebook and the first two in the series are not in ebook format!! #3 is. Oh well I will wait.

message 38: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

This series is very good. I finaly finished Dawn on a Distant Shore (Wilderness, #2) by Sara Donati and have since started Lake in the Clouds (Wilderness, #3) by Sara Donati , and I really, really like them.

message 39: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Shell, do you think it is necessary to finish Dawn before moving on to Lake? Someone on a forum at Amazon, (who also didn't like Dawn) said she just moved on and loved #3 and felt like she didn't miss anything -- what do you think?

message 40: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Possibly. Dawn had a few things happen that could be Important to the story though.. Its hard to say. You could always ask for a spoiler of Dawn, that way when you go into Lake you aren't left behind on the key parts. Lake in The Clouds resumes 8 years after Dawn ends. So, it's sort of a story in its own.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Okay, this is driving me crazy...
When Nathaniel's first wife died, was it during a delivery that included Hannah and her twin brother, or a delivery of a pregnancy that was twins that didn't include Hannah at all?
In some passages, Donati says that Nathaniel had to bury his wife with his baby son and that Hannah was so small he carried her around in his shirt. But other passages said that Hannah could remember her mother's face...I don't get it.
Also, in Lake in The Clouds, Richard Todd makes a comment to Nathaniel about his three dead children. I can only think of Robbie, whom we never met as he was between the 2nd and 3rd books, and Hannah's twin brother, who may or may not have been her twin and if not, his twin would have been the third...but if he was Hannah's twin, who the heck is the 3rd buried child?
Someone please clarify. I think I'll have to pull out Into the Wilderness and read specifically for that part of Nathaniel's story.

message 42: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Lmao. Ya! What Heather said.

message 43: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 143 comments Heather wrote: "Okay, this is driving me crazy...
When Nathaniel's first wife died, was it during a delivery that included Hannah and her twin brother, or a delivery of a pregnancy that was twins that didn't incl..."

No, Sarah didn't die when she gave birth to Hannah and her twin (though Hannah's twin didn't live). It was her second pregnancy with a stillborn (one boy not another set of twins). Sarah passed away when Hannah was around 4-5 years old.

He burried 1. Hannah's twin, 2. a son with Sarah, and 3. Robbie.

message 44: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

That's what I thought... Thank-you Wan... It was driving us nuts.

message 45: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 143 comments Any time. :-)

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Thanks, I couldn't figure it out. Then I read in Clouds that Elizabeth lost a baby before Robbie, so I wasn't sure if that pregnancy counted or not.

message 47: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (lchacha) Read all but the last book, waiting for the paperback to come out in January. I loved following this family's story.

message 48: by Leea (new)

Leea I loved how this series ended... I hope DG can make the Outlander series wrap up so nice... we will see :)

message 49: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Read all but the last book, waiting for the paperback to come out in January. I loved following this family's story."

Me too... I did really enjoy this series.

message 50: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 76 comments I love this series, and I would strongly encourage people to struggle through Dawn on a Distant Shore, and then keep reading. The last two books in particular were amazing, and I thought that Sara Donati did such a good job of wrapping up the series in The Endless Forest.

« previous 1