For The L♥ve of Reading discussion

Authors > Mark Twain

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annaclaire (new)

Annaclaire | 28 comments Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by the pen name Mark Twain, was an American humorist, satirist, lecturer and writer. Twain is most noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which has since been called the Great American Novel, and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. He is also known for his quotations. During his lifetime, Twain became a friend to presidents, artists, leading industrialists and European royalty.

Twain enjoyed immense public popularity, and his keen wit and incisive satire earned him praise from both critics and peers. American author William Faulkner called Twain "the father of American literature."

His best known works include:The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Life on the Mississippi, and The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It.

I haven't read much of his work, but I love some of his quotes; in the the quote "Don't let schooling interfer with your education" is kind of my life-motto right now.

Have any of you read of any of his work? What did you think?

message 2: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** I haven't read anything of his yet but I think I have some of his on my TBR list (that seems to grow endlessly lol) and I am sure I will get to something soon. I think something of his might be good to read with my son in the next year.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie S. I just finished The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and loved it. It was labeled as a children's book, so I was pleasantly surprised at how funny and witty it was.

message 4: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 130 comments The Adventures of Tom Sawyer was one of a tiny handful of books that I actually enjoyed reading, which was a required read.

message 5: by Lani (new)

Lani (lani14) I liked Tom Sawyer and loved Huck Finn. One little known work you might want to read is The 1,000,000 Bank Note

It reads like a movie of the week and is so funny. I first found it in a collection of great writers so I haven't read the other writing in this book.

message 6: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i've read huckleberry finn (more than once as i've taught it) and tom sawyer (but a long time ago). i've also read some a few short stories and essays by him in teaching American Literature and my Advanced Placement courses. he is a good writer and deserves to be part of the american literary canon.

message 7: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) I want to read tom sawyer and the adventures of huckleberry finn are they good?

message 8: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ both are good, but huckleberry finn does have some parts that are slow. but it is a good read. also, there is a lot of dialect used. you must also remember the time period in which the book is placed. Twain is criticizing the rampant racism that existed at the time.