Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Spectacular Series > The Bronze Horseman

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
See my comments for the 'Outlander' series thread. and insert here.... :)

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons Tatiana and Alexander (Tatiana and Alexander, #2) by Paullina Simons The Summer Garden (Tatiana and Alexander, #3) by Paullina Simons

message 2: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I can talk about this series anywhere! :) I still need to get with the program and read TSG!

(Same applies to Outlander)

message 3: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) So I added this to my TR. :)

message 4: by Jesslynn (new)

Jesslynn | 70 comments OK..So Shell, I am now reading my 2nd series based on your recommendations.
I don't know where to start w/ The Bronze Horseman. I got it on audio, btw. So the lady who is reading it is almost annoyingly dramatic, but the BOOK is so dramatic it fits. i think i'm only about halfway through or a little more, but it is sooooooo INTENSE! I'm actually @ the part where alexander found her again in the village, after Dasha just died. And she's kinda snubbing him. WHAT??? Anyways. I'm a little annoyed w/her right now and since it's audio, it's in my car and I can't hear the rest of the story until tomorrow on my drive to work. But thanks for the rec. I can't tell you if I like it right now or not bcs it has made me cry. It better have a superb ending! LOL

message 5: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Jesslynn wrote: "OK..So Shell, I am now reading my 2nd series based on your recommendations.
I don't know where to start w/ The Bronze Horseman. I got it on audio, btw. So the lady who is reading it is almost ann..."

Oh Jesslynn, you are getting to the best part... keep at 'er...Keep me posted.
What was the first series I recommended? Outlander?

message 6: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Jesslynn wrote: "OK..So Shell, I am now reading my 2nd series based on your recommendations.
I don't know where to start w/ The Bronze Horseman. I got it on audio, btw. So the lady who is reading it is almost ann..."

Oh my gosh! Keep listening, its an amazing book! :)

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) I'm going to have to try this one too

message 8: by Jesslynn (new)

Jesslynn | 70 comments Yes Outlander and I, of course, love it.

I'm still on the fence w/this one. I don't know why. It just seems to be too much! I sometimes think Tatiana is a retard and Alexander too for loving a retard. IDK...
How do you spell his nickname? The reader says it like (Surra?) Just wondering.
So I'm @ the part where he just saved (or tried to) the american doc and he screamed out in English "Get the fuck down!" and him and the doc must have been hit or something. He's going to get accused of being a traitor!?! OMG...I just feel like strangling him. This book makes me angsty. LOL

message 9: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Jesslynn wrote: "Yes Outlander and I, of course, love it.

I'm still on the fence w/this one. I don't know why. It just seems to be too much! I sometimes think Tatiana is a retard and Alexander too for loving a ..."

Shura. Maybe you will like it more at the end.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Jesslynn wrote: "Yes Outlander and I, of course, love it.

I'm still on the fence w/this one. I don't know why. It just seems to be too much! I sometimes think Tatiana is a retard and Alexander too for loving a ..."

I couldn't agree with you more...I did not like this book at all because I thought Tatiana was ridiculously simple minded.

I also didn't like either of them for the whole screwing around with her sister's man story line.

I really, really loved the second book though.

message 11: by Jesslynn (last edited Jun 17, 2010 06:47PM) (new)

Jesslynn | 70 comments Heather wrote: "I couldn't agree with you more...I did not like this book at all because I thought Tatiana was ridiculously simple minded.

I also didn't like either of them for the whole screwing around with her sister's man story line.

I really, really loved the second book though.
..."

Honestly the screwing around w/her sister's man was annoying to me, but only bcs they couldn't just freaking tell her in the beginning or even the end. Dasha died knowing her sister lied to her. How crappy is that?
I've listened to a little more... This Demetry guy is a douche bag. Worste villain I think i've ever encountered. I truly hate him, but that's not saying much since i can't decide if I like the main characters yet or not!

message 12: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Its definitely like wine... An acquired taste. You either love it, or you hate it! I LOVED it. To me I could look passed Tatiana's lack of sense in the beginning, cause let's face it, she was young. The baby of the family, never been kissed, young. She grows up though, and her and Shura overcome against all odds, and that to me is admirable. I love their story, it breaks my heart while proving that love actually does conquer all.

message 13: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Ps. Ya, Dimitri is a dick.

message 14: by Jesslynn (new)

Jesslynn | 70 comments LOL...ok, you guys will have to excuse the misspellings cs I don't have the book for their names.
and to me some of her behaviour seems typical of a 17 year old and some still just seem retarded.

message 15: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Lol... I hear ya, and possibly even agree in retrospect. I guess while I was reading it, I never tried to relate to her, or attempt to understand her reasoning, or Alexander's for that matter. I couldn't possibly fathom what they went through, and were exposed to on a daily basis, from Communism, War, Death, Starvation, totally dysfunctional family ties.... Maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much more.. Eventhough It frustrated the hell outa me, I couldnt put it down. I have even read it a second time, and loved it more than the first. I can't help it. Im a bonafied, irrevocable Tatiana and Shura advocate, for sure. Lol

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Jesslynn, I finished the first book still not liking either of the main characters. I wrote a very negative review on the book as well. I loved them both in the second book though, which I wouldn't have read at all except that Shell loved it so much so I wanted to give them another chance.
I suggest finishing the first book. You'll either change your mind or continue to think they're special needs. You'll always think Dimitri is a douche (cause he is definitely that and much more). Then I suggest that you tackle the second story. Trust me, if you're like me at all, you'll be glad that you did. I loved it so much that I read it all in one day; staying awake until 7:00 the following morning because I just couldn't put it down.

message 17: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Atleast I gotcha to love them, even if it was later...

message 18: by Jesslynn (new)

Jesslynn | 70 comments Ok...i'll get the 2nd book and try it out. It's not that I don't appreciate this story either, it's just so sad. My heart can only take so much trauma!

message 19: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

That's how I felt Jesslynn, It's definatly heart wrenching.. but it was reality back then.. that's what makes it worse.

message 20: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Nov 04, 2010 07:08PM) (new)

Have to share my splurge... By the way... I have discovered Abebooks.com... and LOVE IT.. but it is dangerous.. cause I have been spending way too much money... Anyways... back on track. I discovered that The Bridge to Holy Cross by Paullina Simons (The UK version of Tatiana and Alexander) Has 3 or 4 additional chapters in it.. all from Alexanders POV, That the editors cut for the US release... BOOOOOOO!!!
Anyways, having discovered that, OF COURSE... I had to buy it.. (I mean, it only makes sense... right?).. Anyways.. back to Abebooks.com.. I discovered.. The Bronze Horseman (Tatiana and Alexander, #1) by Paullina Simons The Bridge to Holy Cross by Paullina Simons AND The Summer Garden (Tatiana and Alexander, #3) by Paullina Simons All BRAND NEW.. All original UK additions... plus I get the extra chapters.. AND THEY MATCH!!! Yup.. you can admit it.. I'm awesome.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) what is The Bridge to Holy Cross?

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Never mind... you just said it was the UK version of Tatiana and Alexander...

message 23: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Heather wrote: "Never mind... you just said it was the UK version of Tatiana and Alexander..."

LOL...Yup!!

message 24: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Shell wrote: "Have to share my splurge... By the way... I have discovered Abebooks.com... and LOVE IT.. but it is dangerous.. cause I have been spending way too much money... Anyways... back on track. I discover..."

Have you read The Bridge to Holy Cross? I am wondering if I should locate a copy

message 25: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

No I haven't yet... But I will.. I want to read those extra chapters...

message 26: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Let me know when you do read it... so curious!

message 27: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I find it really upsetting that there are secret extra chapters in books in different countries! How are we supposed to find this stuff out?!!!

message 28: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I too found it a trifle annoying...

message 29: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I know I shouldn't use this as a reference point for everything (but I do) -- what if there were outlander chapters floating around in Germany that I had no idea about?!! But that is an awesome find Shell. :)

message 30: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Nov 05, 2010 11:53AM) (new)

If there are Oulander chapters floatin around anywhere.. I will hunt them down... Now I NEED to find out if there are.

message 31: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) LOL, sorry. :) Man I need to read TBH, just no time. Way too many books out there.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) never thought about floating around Outlander chapters... so distressing.

message 33: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Nov 05, 2010 11:58AM) (new)

REGINA!!!! You absoloutly, positively, without a shadow of a doubt.. HAVE TO FIND THE TIME.. It is essential.. it is crucial... There is NOTHING.. No other book..(Other than Outlander series).. No TV Show.. No Social Outing, No work event.. NOTHING that should get in the way....... Not even SEX...

message 34: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) LOL Shell -- not even SEX?? My husband may disagree! But when you put it that way -- I see its importance. Okay, okay -- I will put this on my priority list. I want to read it, I really do!!!

message 35: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Phewf.... I am so relieved... (and okay.. maybe sex could be the one exception.. )

message 36: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Heather wrote: "never thought about floating around Outlander chapters... so distressing."

I know right??? Im starting an official 'Romance, Historical or Otherwise' Investigation...

message 37: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 76 comments I love, love, love, The Bronze Horseman trilogy, and I am so glad to see that you are discussing it here.

message 38: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Regina wrote: "LOL Shell -- not even SEX?? My husband may disagree! But when you put it that way -- I see its importance. Okay, okay -- I will put this on my priority list. I want to read it, I really do!!!"

Lol, don't give up sex, but definitely read TBH!

message 39: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I know.. I know... I got a 'little' carried away...

message 40: by Pam (new)

Pam | 7 comments Okay l'm a HUGE fan of TBH series, did you know of the fourth book 'Tatianas Table'. EXCELLENT....

Of the series 'Summer Garden' was my favourite...

Favourite line is 'Stand down Soldier' as said by Tatiana.

BUT l will say Outlander is sadly better lol lol .....However when/whilst l was reading TBH l was obsessed with all things Shura/Tatiana...can we do spoilers best not, but l will say after Summer Garden l had a whole new appreciation for Tupperware...LOL

message 41: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 76 comments Pam, have you tried any of the recipes from Tatiana's Table?

message 42: by Pam (new)

Pam | 7 comments no sadly (lol) , but blincki (maybe mispelt) potato pancakes, homemade bread, strawberry ice cream and all the wonderful American post war foods truly had me captivated. I loved how food represented so much throughout there story ...Food and Love........aaaahhhh....

message 43: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 76 comments I have made the Banana Bread which is excellent, and I know other people who have made the cabbage pie and a couple of other things and who say they are really good!

message 44: by Pam (new)

Pam | 7 comments we actually met Paulina last year at a signing and we asked her about the food , she was very insightful as to how her mother and grandmother cooked all of it, L could do the Banana bread , give the cabbage a miss lol l think l remember (this is a SPOILER ) for those that haven't read the books so l will do some spoiler space SPOILER SPACE

that Shura no longer wanted to eat cabbage once he was in the states it gave him horrible memories. I really wanted to make the Blincki (still unsure of spelling) l will whip something up and let you know how l go. What l also loved is how Tatiana loved to cook for Shura in the early days TBH it was gorgeous, then by the time you got to TSG she would work 12-13 hours and then come home and cook up a storm...AND to top it off she was as petitie as a ballerina....

message 45: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 76 comments I didn't get to go to her signing last year, but I did the time before. She was so warm and gracious and recognised us from her boards etc.

message 46: by Pam (new)

Pam | 7 comments It was totally packed and pretty hilarious...She was very gracious, and pretty tired at the end of it. Are you a Outlander fan ?

message 47: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 76 comments Yes, reading the Outlander series and chatting to fans led me to read a couple of other authors - most notably Paullina Simons and Sharon Kay Penman.

message 48: by Pam (new)

Pam | 7 comments Okay l will check Sharon Kay Penman out. I have finished the Outlander series and very sad, how does Sharon compare ?

message 49: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Yes do tell.. As I have the first in the series Here be Dragons (Welsh Princes, #1) by Sharon Kay Penman ... I haven;t read it yet.. But I am also a massive TBH and Outlander fan..

message 50: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 76 comments SKP's books are denser, but really really good reads. I highly recommend Here Be Dragons and Sunne in Splendour.

« previous 1 3