A History of Royals discussion

Royalty In Film > Egypt: Cleopatra (1999)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 345 comments Mod
If you don't have have netflix or can't find it at your local video store you can download it here:

http://movie-megaupload.com/2009/03/01/c...

Or watch it on youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxO2JFWNT...

This was a made for TV movie based on the Margaret George book The Memoirs of Cleopatra. Cleopatra (Leonor Varela), the fabled Egyptian queen, becomes an object of obsession for Roman ruler Julius Caesar (Timothy Dalton). But when Cleopatra and Caesar have a son, all of Rome is greatly troubled by the union. To protect her son and avoid being humiliated by Roman legislators who want to do both of them harm, Cleopatra takes matters into her own hands. After the murder of Caesar, Cleopatra then allies herself with the Roman general Marc Antony.

message 2: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 345 comments Mod
So, I liked it alright but I expected a lot more from this movie even though I went into it knowing they couldn't cram a 900 some odd page book into a little made for TV movie (by Hallmark btw). I didn't like how they left out the twins and I thought it would have been more interesting if they had included the meeting with the Kandake.

message 3: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 726 comments Mod
Thanks for the links Colleen. Maybe if I watch this movie I'll actually pick the book up again and finish it someday.

message 4: by Karla (new)

Karla | 7 comments I'd read the books a few years before I finally got around to watching the movie, so I didn't remember much of anything from the book. I watched it as just a historical epic movie and it was ok. Dalton was good, but Billy Zane as Antony was meh. IMO only one actor has looked the part of Antony - close to the images of the time - and that's Vincent Regan in the miniseries "Empire." (Which is totally historically inaccurate, but good fun anyway.)