A History of Royals discussion

Royalty In Film > England: A Man For All Seasons (1966)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 345 comments Mod
This, to many, is a classic Tudor themed film about Henry VIII (Robert Shaw) who seeks approval from the English aristocracy and the Pope to divorce his wife, Katherine of Aragon, and marry a commoner, Anne Boleyn. Sir Thomas More (Paul Scofield) finds himself caught between a tempestuous king and the powerful Roman Catholic Church he is faithful to.

message 2: by Manuel (last edited Mar 16, 2010 01:13PM) (new)

Manuel | 86 comments Ironically, Vanessa Redgrave who plays Anne Boleyn in this movie, would later go on to play Lady Alice More opposite Charton Heston in the 90's version of A Man for All Seasons.

message 3: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

Interesting, I did not know that so thanks for posting Manuel!

message 4: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 726 comments Mod
I definitely want to see this one

message 5: by Karla (new)

Karla | 7 comments We "had" to watch this one for my HS European history class. The other kids hated it, naturally (omg, OLD!), but I loved it. Paul Scofield is perfect as More. It's fun to watch this one either immediately before or after Anne of the Thousand Days since they're about the same issue, but from completely opposite sides.

message 6: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

I recently saw this one (thank you Netflix instant play) and really liked it!

Karla, I like that you compared AoaTD to this movie being both sides of the same story, I had actually not thought of that comparison. I liked this one better but again I am not an Anne fan.

I loved the prison scene where More's wife is so mad at him for not signing she nearly refuses to give him the apples she brought for him, so real life as apposed to her running in and flinging her arms at him for the entire visit.

message 7: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 726 comments Mod
Still must get my hands on this one...

message 8: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

It is such an excellent adaption of the play Jennifer!

message 9: by Rio (Lynne) (last edited Mar 04, 2011 03:18PM) (new)

Rio (Lynne) I finally got around to watching this. I highly enjoyed it.

message 10: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "We "had" to watch this one for my HS European history class. The other kids hated it, naturally (omg, OLD!), but I loved it. Paul Scofield is perfect as More. It's fun to watch this one either imme..."

Yep, we had to watch this for History in High School too! Need to watch it again as that was a loooong time ago, although I don't expect to like it as much as I did as over the years I've come to dislike 'the sainted' Moore quite a bit. Cromwell is much more interesting...lol.

Since I'm currently reading Wolf Hall it might be interesting to watch it once I'm finished and compare the two as they really are the opposite sides of the story.

Anne of the Thousand Days is also on my overflowing TBW pile!

message 11: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) My school was boring. We were never made to watch it. I enjoyed Anne of A Thousand Days also. When I bought it, it came with Mary Queen of Scots with Vanessa Redgrave.

message 12: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Yes, that's the version of Anne of a Thousand Days I have too, with the two movies together! My DVD of A Man For All Seasons is also a double feature with The Taming of the Shrew starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton.

Does anyone else have trouble working out which movie to file double features under when storing their DVDs? Or am I the only one obsessive compulsive enough to file their DVDs alphabetically? LOL

message 13: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 1550 comments Mod
I recently watched this one, also. I thought it was good, but not great. Part of that may be due to the fact that the audio was quite a bit off from the video, so they would talk and then their mouths would move, lol. I will have to dig up my review, though, because I also think there were a few things that I didn't quite agree with. For one thing, I thought it was pretty choppy. It didn't have trouble following it as I pretty much new the story already. But my husband, who is a Royalty and Tudor newbie, had a bit of trouble with the gaps.

Jemidar - I agree...Cromwell is more interesting to me, too, in a way. But we are reading John Guy'sJohn Guy's A Daughter's Love Thomas More and His Dearest Meg for the group read in the Tudor History Lovers group this time, so maybe that will change my mind.

message 14: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Jemidar wrote: "Yes, that's the version of Anne of a Thousand Days I have too, with the two movies together! My DVD of A Man For All Seasons is also a double feature with The Taming of the Shrew starring Elizabet..."

I can see myself doing the same thing, lol. I am just as OCD with my DVDs as I am with my books.

message 15: by Jemidar (last edited Mar 06, 2011 04:16PM) (new)

Jemidar Lyn M wrote: "Jemidar - I agree...Cromwell is more interesting to me, too, in a way. But we are reading John Guy'sJohn Guy's A Daughter's Love Thomas More and His Dearest Meg for the group read in the Tudor History Lovers group this time, so maybe that will change my mind. "

Oh, oh, when is the Tudor group reading that? And how did I miss it?!!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 227 comments We're reading it now through the end of April.

message 17: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Thanks :-).

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Who has seen the Other Boleyn Girl? Oh, and on television, Inside the Body of King Henry VIII? I watched that today! Interesting, but disgusting, too! Haha

message 19: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) clarinet_friend13 wrote: "Who has seen the Other Boleyn Girl? Oh, and on television, Inside the Body of King Henry VIII? I watched that today! Interesting, but disgusting, too! Haha"

I couldn't get into TOBG. It was just so off historically it annoyed me. Inside the Body of Henry was interesting.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Really? I thought it was intersting...

message 21: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Jemidar wrote: "Thanks :-)."

You didn't miss it, it just started! YAY.

message 22: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar I'll be there as soon as I can get hold of the book and start reading :-).

message 23: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

That's okay. I am picking mine up at the library this week, so I haven't started yet, either.