A History of Royals discussion

Royalty In Film > England: Restoration (1995)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 345 comments Mod
Synopsis from netflix:

"After saving the life of someone close to King Charles II (Sam Neill), Robert Merivel (Robert Downey Jr.), a young 17th century physician, is invited to join King Charles's court. Everything changes, however, when the king orders Merivel to marry his mistress (Polly Walker). The situation worsens when Merivel finds himself actually falling in love with his new wife, and the king finds out. Hugh Grant, Ian McKellen and Meg Ryan also star."

message 2: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

Wow, what a cast! So what did you think of the movie Alexandria? Unfortunately this is a movie not available for queue yet on netflix.

message 3: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 726 comments Mod
Elizabeth is my favorite time period too, aside from that of Henry VIII. But I've been discovering that when it comes to the royals, I seem to love them all

message 4: by Karla (new)

Karla | 7 comments I've seen this movie a couple times. Love it! Great period detail, and SPANIELS! RDjr is awesome in it.

message 5: by Manuel (last edited May 02, 2010 10:08AM) (new)

Manuel | 86 comments I remember seeing this movie and being impressed with the lavish sets of King Charles's palace.

This is supposed to be a period following the austere spartan English republic of Oliver Cromwell, consequently Charles' court is "over the top" in everything.

Sadly I wasn't too impressed with the plot or main character. I think the movie tried to be too many things at once. A love story, redemption, and a moral about aids, but it doesn't succeed very well. I usually like Meg Ryan, but I felt she was wasted in this flick.

One of the underlying themes deals with the plague that is rampaging through London and its not too veiled parallel with the modern aids crisis.

I was especially disappointed with the convenient happy ending. It felt like it was a weak way to end the movie.

message 6: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 1550 comments Mod
I think I still have to see this one, if for no other reason than that RDjr is in it. One of my faves.

message 7: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (last edited Apr 03, 2010 08:20AM) (new)

Interesting take Manuel, I always like reading your comments on the royal themed movies.

Lyn, he realy bounced back with flying colors though didn't he? I like him a lot too.