Terminalcoffee discussion

Celebrate > Happy Birthday President Andrew Jackson- March 15.

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments You were president number 7 you won't be forgotten.
At least by me.

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
Seriously? indeed.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Which money is he on? The twenty, right?

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jackson is thought of as a supreme villain by the Native American tribes he relocated to Oklahoma from the southeast US in the early 1800s. "Trail of tears" ring a bell?

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Boooo, Jackson!

message 6: by Heidi (last edited Mar 15, 2010 08:46PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sorry Ms. Jackson/I. Am. Fo. REEEAL...

:D

message 7: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments Ironic isn't it. He closed the National Bank despised paper money but still has his face placed on the twenty.

message 8: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments I know the trail of tears was horrible but another countries forced removal policy would likely have been to slaughter.

message 9: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Fifteen thousand Cherokee were forced to march 1,200 miles. Four thousand of them died. That's not a slaughter? There also were a number of Seminole killed when they refused to leave and Jackson waged war against them. Saying it would have been worse in some other country is hardly a defense. That's like saying, "But some of the slaves were well-treated and happy."

message 10: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments There was no intent for the Cherokee to die. Cholera swept through the camps.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Camps that they wouldn't have been in if they hadn't been forced out of their homes.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yeah, I don't really think you can win this one A.

message 13: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Right. Jackson was neither evil incarnate nor the savior of American democracy. He was a fallible man who accomplished some good things for the country, but whose legacy is marred by his policies regarding indigenous peoples. Regardless of intent, the fact is that thousands of people died being forcibly removed from their own sovereign nation (the Supreme Court had ruled it so). It's a shameful episode and one that can't be whitewashed.

message 14: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments I do not want to let Andrew Jackson's birthday pass where he is solely judged on the Indian Removal Act.

So, President Jackson also is the only president in United States history to have paid off the national debt.

Furthermore, he was the first president to "preserve the union" when he threatened South Carolina with military force.

These are great accomplishments.