Weekly Short Stories Contest and Company! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Weekly Short Story Contests > Week 36 (March 16th-22nd) Stories---Topic: Saint Patrick's Day DONE!!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) ... ug... i started something but then i hated it so i deleted it... so ya

message 2: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 109 comments The Story of the Rainbow
By Lydia
Word count: 687

“Banks!”
“It’s no use, dear.” Mary Allen said, placing a hand on her husband’s arm.
“I know.” Henry sighed. He turned and slowly walked out of the forest with Mary at his side.

The headliner on the newspaper read the next day:

Peter Banks, owner of Peter’s Bank, went missing yesterday on a night walk with a group of friends. “We were going into the forest, following a straight path.” Says Henry Allen, co-worker of Peter, “I don’t see how he could have gotten lost.” No one does. The police are combing the forest, but so far no clues to Banks’ whereabouts have been found.

Meanwhile, Banks wandered around in the forest. Earlier he had told his friends to go on ahead of him, but then he turned off the path. He sat down on a rock and placed his head in his hands.
“Look at him. He’s pathetic.”
“Sshhh!”
Banks glanced around, but didn’t see anything. He heard soft laughter below him. He looked down at his feet.
“Look! He noticed!” A small green man said.
“Wha.. What are you?” Banks asked, leaning down to get a closer look.
“Not very smart, is he?” The first man asked.
“Hush, Callaghan. We, young man, are leprechauns.” The second one announced.
“Leprechauns?” Banks whispered.
“Told you.” Callaghan snorted.
“Hush.”
“Stop ‘hushing’ me, O’Reilly.”
Banks stared at the two leprechauns in amazement.
“Um...” O’Reilly said, “Are you lost?”
“Lost? Oh, yes! Lost. I’m lost!” Banks nodded his head.
Callaghan giggled. O’Reilly glared at him. “Stay here.” He commanded Banks. The two leprechauns ran off. Disobeying orders, Banks followed them silently. He pulled a branch away and gasped. Behind the foliage was hundreds of little men and women and children milling around.
Callaghan and O’Reilly were standing next to a man in a top hat. Callaghan seemed to be arguing with him. A small child, resting on her father’s shoulder, turned and locked gazes with Banks.
“Man!” The girl babbled, happily pulling her father’s hair. The father smiled and looked in the direction of her head.
“Man!” He yelled. Simultaneously, all the leprechauns turned to look at Banks. The man in the top hat shook his head slowly. O’Reilly sighed and beckoned Banks to him. Banks stepped forward. As he did, the leprechauns hurried away from him, hiding in bushes and houses.
“What is this?” Banks asked, as soon as he was in hearing distance.
“This,” the man in the top hat sniffed, “is a secret society of men and women who have dedicated their lives and, I must mention, signed the official secrets act. No humans allowed. I must ask you to leave immediately.”
“How do you know I won’t talk?” Banks asked.
“What Kallen means,” O’Reilly said quickly, “is that we’ll pay you. To keep silent, I mean.”
“Pay me?”
“Yes. A pot of gold. But you must keep your lips sealed!” Callaghan hissed.
“And, we’ll show you safely back to your home.” Kallen said. Banks considered it. The three leprechauns waited silently for his answer. Banks looked at them.
“Yes. I’ll take your offer.”

“Are you ready?”
“Yes!” O’Reilly said.
“Fine. Banks!” Kallen called. Banks walked over to them. Kallen beckoned to O’Reilly. “He will take you back. Don’t lose sight of him.” Banks nodded.
“Let’s go.” O’Reilly said. “Before it rains.” The man and leprechaun walked side by side through the forest. Three hours later, O’Reilly stopped.
“This is as far as I go. Walk right through those two trees, and you’ll end up in town.” O’Reilly turned to go.
“Wait.” Banks said. “How will I find you again, if I need you?”
“Oh, we’ll always be at the end of the rainbow.” And then O’Reilly disappeared.

Banks walked into town with the pot of gold in one hand. People waved to him. He waved back his free hand. When he got into his house, the rain was just starting. Banks glanced at the wall clock. It was 2 o’clock, P.M. Half a hour later, the rain stopped. Banks stepped onto his porch. He glanced up to look at the bright rainbow in the sky.

message 3: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 109 comments Thank you! ;D My sister actually helped me with it.

message 4: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) oo...

message 5: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 109 comments ;D

message 6: by Hanzleberry (new)

Hanzleberry (doughboyissweet) | 1065 comments Sisters should help sisters. :] Alex does. Hehe!

message 7: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 109 comments *grins*

message 8: by Sanuk (new)

Sanuk Giant Turtles at Saint-Patrick’s Day
by Sanuk
341 words

Craig had been drinking for the past 25 years. He had cirrhosis, an alcohol-induced liver disease, His doctor told him he would die in a few months unless he stopped drinking. But day after day, drinking was all he was doing.

"What the hell am I suppose to do doctor? It is St-Patrick’s Day for God’s sake!", he would tell his doctor each time. It had been St-Patrick’s Day for the past 25 years, day after day. It was good for business but not so good for customers.

Nobody was sure what exactly happened on that fateful day, 25 years ago. Theoretical scientists were thinking that time was slipping in another dimension but nobody had ever been able to find where that other dimension was.

Craig was no rocket scientist. After 25 years of drinking he did not recall what he used to be. But he remembered that, a long time ago, when he used to smoke some weed, he would slip in another dimension. He had no other choice. His life was on the line. He would have to smoke again and hope for the best.

After a few joints and many beers, Craig’s friends looked fuzzy, more than usual. The walls started turning and suddenly, he was somewhere else.

Giant turtles were all around him. They were busy carrying time. Craig could see that it was time stolen from his dimension. They were stealing all the time because they were so slow that they could never finish things with their own time.

"You would do just the same if you were that slow", explained Shu Shu, the giant turtle in charge of the time reallocation program.

Craig showed the giant turtles how to build and use inline skates. The giant turtles were so happy with the result that they promised to stop stealing time.

Craig woke up in the middle of the day with an hangover. He looked at the newspaper left on the table. It was March 18. He had saved the world!

message 9: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) interesting... but i didn't know people smoke a lot on st patricks

message 10: by Batsap (new)

Batsap Wow, Sanuk, that is an amazing story. o.o It's so bizarre. I'm jealous, lol. XP

message 11: by Batsap (new)

Batsap Okay, so this is my first story. I hope it isn't too bad! It's based on part of the story of Saint Patrick.

Freedom
by Batsap
477 words

"Hey you there! What are you doing?" A voice called out in that strange, lilting accent. Even after all these years he was still not used to it. Neither did he think he ever would be.

Breathing heavily, he ducked behind the huge crates that stood on the docks waiting to be loaded onto the trading ships that rested patiently on the waves. Squinting into the darkness he was just able to make out the shape of two men roaming the dock, searching for him with lit torches.

He turned his back to the sight and crouched down lower, resting his head on his arms as he attempted to calm his racing body. Absently, he rubbed his sweat-soaked forehead against the steel band that encircled his wrist - a reminder of the slavery he had been sold into at the mere age of sixteen.

If he had been a different kind of man, he might have cursed against the slave traders who had snatched him from his home and brought him to this hateful land; but through all the agonies and humiliations he had endured, he had always remembered the Christian faith in which he had been brought up. And now his patience had won him his reward: In the night God had visited him, telling him in His infinite wisdom that he must flee his masters and return to his native Britain. That was why he knew now that the men searching for him would not find him. This escape was his destiny.

He must have fallen asleep, for the next thing he knew, the first light of dawn was creeping across the heavens and the sleepy docks were starting to rouse themselves in preparation for the activities of the day. The sounds of dock workers calling to one another and the rasping of wooden crates being dragged up gangplanks filled the air.

Siezing his chance, the young man crept aboard one of the ships, unnoticed by the busy crew. He was not scared of the rats in the cargo hold that studied him with gimlet-bright curiosity. In the past few years he had found out that there were far worse things in the world than God's lowly rodents. In fact, he found he could almost regard them as friends, for they too were often mistreated and ostracized.

His heart lurched along with his footing and he realised that the boat had pushed off from the shore. He had made it! Yet, even as his soul sung for the joy of freedom, Patrick knew in his heart that this was not the last he had seen of Ireland. One day, he was certain, he would return to the land and, in return to his God for aiding in his escape, he would teach the Irish heathens the way of the Lord.

message 12: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) ... is that supposed to be how St. Patrick's day was created? after that guy?

message 13: by Batsap (new)

Batsap It's a part of how it was created. According to Wikipedia anyway, lol.

message 14: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 109 comments Who's making the poll this week?

message 15: by Esther (last edited Mar 23, 2010 03:56PM) (new)

Esther (essie7198) haha... good ol' wikipedia... ima going to try to make one now... iz prob stupid though... no wait, contest over... *sigh of relief* i mean- oh darn?

message 16: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 109 comments *laughs* Nice, Esther!

message 17: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) hehe... waz the next topic for the contest?

message 18: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 109 comments I don't know.. I can't wait, though.

message 19: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) tehe... who does the contests? Alex? or do all the mods choose together?

message 20: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 109 comments I don't know... Is Alex on?

message 21: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) uhhhhhhhhh i dono....

message 22: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 109 comments Wow. We have so much knowledge.

message 23: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) hahaha... now wait he's not i checked.. but that stupid thing never works that much anyway soooooo...

message 24: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 109 comments hmmm...

message 25: by Hanzleberry (new)

Hanzleberry (doughboyissweet) | 1065 comments :D Alex! I missed you! Where were you today?

message 26: by Hanzleberry (new)

Hanzleberry (doughboyissweet) | 1065 comments Was it fun?

message 27: by Hanzleberry (new)

Hanzleberry (doughboyissweet) | 1065 comments And you didn't take me along. :(

message 28: by Hanzleberry (new)

Hanzleberry (doughboyissweet) | 1065 comments That's too bad...

message 29: by Esther (new)

Esther (essie7198) hehe

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.