100+ Books in 2021 discussion

2010 Lists > Kellee's 2010 Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kellee (last edited Jan 01, 2011 02:05AM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 2010 total is 165!

message 5: by Kellee (last edited Mar 30, 2010 10:14PM) (new)

message 6: by Kellee (last edited Mar 30, 2010 10:14PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 36. The Spellmans Strike Again (Spellman Series, Book 4) by Lisa Lutz The Spellmans Strike Again ***** 3/20/10

A fantastic finale to this easily lovable series!

message 7: by Kellee (last edited Mar 30, 2010 10:14PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 37. The Mark by Jen Nadol The Mark **** 3/20/10
This book by Jen Nadol makes you question many things including life and death and our purpose. With a philosophical undertone, this young adult novel follows an easily likable protagonist named Cassie through her journey of figuring out her purpose.

Cassie started seeing the mark when she was 4 years old, but it wasn't until recently that she figured out what it means.

If you knew someone had less than 24 hours to live, but had no reasonable way of telling them that you knew, would you tell them?

message 8: by Kellee (last edited Mar 30, 2010 10:14PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 38. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky The Perks of Being a Wallflower ***** 3/22/10:

This is a coming of age novel about a loveable 15 year old entering his first year of H.S. He has had a rough life and he slowly shares it throughout the novel, even realizing some of it for the first time himself. He is a wallflower that slowly blooms and starts to find out who he really is and how he fits in the world.

This book is very controversial and rightly so. Although I will never believe in banning books, this book is very much more appropriate for teenagers in high school, not students I teach. Although not appropriate for my classroom, it is a book that quickly became an instant classic for me.

It is so interesting reading all the different reviews for this book. I can see why some would not like it, but the hatred of such an epic book is discouraging. Although the subject matter may be controversial and not liked by all, that does not restitute putting the book down. Give it low stars, but do you really have to attack the book?

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) | 922 comments Kellee wrote: "The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyThe Perks of Being a Wallflower ***** 3/22/10:

This is a coming of age novel about a loveable 15 year old entering his first year of ..."

Good call, Kellee! I am one of the ones who didn't care for it, but it definitely "speaks" to a lot of people. Even though it wasn't for me, there is no reason it should be banned!

message 10: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) AngelaSunshine wrote: "Good call, Kellee! I am one of the ones who didn't care for it, but id definitely "speaks" to a lot of people. Even though it wasn't for me, there is no reason it should be banned!"

Thank you Angela :)
I could completely understand why this book would not appeal to some people. However, books shouldn't be challenged or banned because someone doesn't like it.

I have learned that I really like coming of age and quirky boy books like John Green books, but there are others who really don't like them... I just find coming of age books enduring.

message 11: by Kellee (last edited Mar 30, 2010 10:13PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 39. Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin Elsewhere ***** 3/25/10:

Elsewhere is a charming, wonderful, weird, intriguing book. It is a beautifully written and quickly encompasses the reader in following Liz's journey.

Liz wakes up and believes it is all a dream, but soon learns it isn't- she is dead. She'll never return to Earth, get her driver's license, go to prom or college, or any of the other things one does after age 15. And she is going to life her afterlife in a place called Elsewhere. Elsewhere is not the afterlife anyone imagines- it is a lot like Earth; although you do age backwards... When Liz arrives she is obsessed with returning to her family and best friend, Zooey, but contact with the living is against the law. Will Liz be able to deal with her own death?

message 12: by Kellee (last edited Mar 30, 2010 10:13PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 40. When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead When You Reach Me ***** 3/26/10:

Beautifully written and fully worthy of the Newbery Medal!

This book follows Miranda. Miranda and her friend Sal have a perfect routine- they know how to navigate the NYC streets safely, walk to and from work together, and are best friends! Everything is perfect, until a random boy punches Sal in the stomach and Sal suddenly doesn't want to be friends any more. This is the beginning of a weird journey for Miranda. Losing her best friend is followed by her apartment spare key being stolen and random notes begin to show up. These notes are cryptic and Miranda cannot figure out what they mean. Only through her every day life did she start to put all the clues together.

message 13: by Kellee (last edited Mar 30, 2010 10:13PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 41. Deadly Little Lies (Touch, #2) by Laurie Faria Stolarz Deadly Little Lies *** 3/27/10:

Not as good and suspenseful as the first; however, still worth reading if you have read the first.

The end does segue for a third book and the way it is set up makes me really eager to read it.

message 14: by Kellee (last edited Mar 30, 2010 10:13PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 42. Reunion (The Mediator, #3) by Meg Cabot Reunion **** 3/28/10
&
43. Darkest Hour (The Mediator, #4) by Meg Cabot Darkest Hour **** 3/29/10

message 15: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 44. The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan The Dead-Tossed Waves **** 3/30/10:

I really liked the sequel to The Forest of Hands and Teeth. It answered many of the questions I had before and I really liked Gabry as a protagonist. It even made me like Mary more. I almost wish I had read this novel before the other. I am now very excited about a third novel!!

message 16: by Kellee (last edited Apr 02, 2010 11:22PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 45. Strange Angels (Strange Angels #1) by Lilith Saintcrow Strange Angels *** 4/1/10:

Although Strange Angels is often compared to Twilight in its reviews because it is a paranormal YA novel, it is anything but Twilight. Dru Anderson is the only daughter of a hunter. Her father hunts demons, vampires, werewulfs, etc. Anything found in the "real world." Dru normally goes along with her father because she can see things her father can't, but for this mission, he has her stay home- and then he returns as a zombie. A zombie that Dru now has to kill. So, Dru is an orphan and is going to find the thing that did this to her father.

Although Twilight and Strange Angels share vampires in common, that is about it. Dru is a much stronger, foul mouthed, hard headed protagonist who is our heroine, not our damsel.

I did feel that the language in this book was gratuitous at points and unnecessary. Also, some of the supernatural aspects and action sequences were hard to follow; however, it is a good foundation for a series and the cliffhanger at the end sure makes you want to read more.

message 17: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 46. Looking for JJ by Anne Cassidy Looking for JJ **** 4/2/10:

Can a person really change?
What would make one child hurt another?

This book answers these questions while following Alice Tully. Alice lives in a foster home with Rosie and has a normal life- but Alice's life has not always been so normal.

Looking for JJ is one of those books that you connect so quickly with the protagonist, but are not sure if you really know her; however, she begins to unfold as you read and your connection with her gets deeper.

47. The Summer Before (Babysitters Club) by Ann M. Martin The Summer Before ***** 4/3/10:

The Baby-Sitters Club was my favorite series during middle school. I read and owned every book! It is what helped me become the reader I am today.

On April 1st, Ann M. Martin released this prequel to the series which introduces the characters before the baby-sitters club began.

Now, I am biased, but I loved this book! It switches points of view between the 4 original members of the club (Kristy, Mary Anne, Claudia and Stacy), introduces us to each of them, shares their personality and is a perfect lead in to the series. Any middle school girl who hasn't read the Baby-Sitters Club series should try this prequel out to see if it sucks them in like it did to me.

message 18: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 48. Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) by Lisa McMann Wake *** 4/3/10:

Wake is about Janie who, since age 8, has been sucked into other people's dreams. It is something she cannot control and the worse the dream, the harder it is to resist.

I had trouble connecting with Janie and wish that she had been built up more. You learn small things here and there, but I never felt like I really knew her- it may be, though, because she is disconnected from herself as well.

I have heard nothing but positive things (fantastic actually) about this book, so I had really high hopes; unfortunately, I did not think the book met my expectations. That doesn't mean it wasn't good- I just wish that I hadn't gone in with such high hopes because I may have liked it more.

message 19: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 49. Ties That Bind, Ties That Break (Laurel-Leaf Books) by Lensey Namioka Ties That Bind, Ties That Break **** 4/5/10
50. City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare City of Bones **** 4/9/10

message 20: by Kellee (last edited Apr 18, 2010 10:11AM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 51. The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1) by Rick Yancey The Monstrumologist **** 4/18/10

Will Henry was 11 years old when he lost his parents to a fire. With no family left, his father's employer, Dr. Wanthrop, took him in. Will Henry becomes Dr. Wanthrop's assistant in his interesting studies of Monstrumology. A monstrumologist is a scientist who studies and hunts life forms not recognized by science. One evening, a grave robber arrives with something that he believes only Dr. Wanthrop can deal with... and the adventure begins!!

This book follows as Will Henry and the doctor fight the monsters that have shown up in their home town.

Although gruesome, scary and horrifying at some points, it is never without warrant. This is the first book of a series and I cannot wait to read the sequels so I can follow Will Henry and the doctor on more adventures!!

message 21: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 52. 21 Proms by David Levithan 21 Proms *** 4/19/10

message 22: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 53. Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelan Homeless Bird **** 4/23/10

Koly is thirteen. And like most girls her age in India, she is going to get married. When she arrives at her grooms home she learns that much of what they said in their proposal letter was a lie. This begins a downward spiral fueled by tradition for Koly.

This book is a coming of age story set in a different culture which gives the reader a different view of the world. I, personally, knew very little about the Hindu culture and loved that I could learn about it while traveling with Koly in this story.

54. The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis The Breadwinner **** 4/24/10

The Taliban has been in full control of Kabul, Afghanistan for years now. Because of this take-over, girls are no longer allowed to go to school, women must wear burqas when they leave the house only accompanied by men, and all females in general are pretty much stuck in their homes. The heroine of this novel, Parvana, wants more than anything to be a normal girl again, but for now she much be happy with going to the marketplace daily with her father. Even this small amount of happiness is taken from her, though, when her father is arrested for attending a university in Britain. With him gone, how are Parvana and her family going to survive without a male?

This book taught me about Afghan history and culture. I did not know the extent of the war and terror. I am grateful for Parvana and her family for showing me their life.

message 23: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 55. The Looking Glass Wars (Looking Glass Wars, #1) by Frank Beddor The Looking Glass Wars **** 4/27/10

Alyss Heart told Lewis Carrol the real story of Wonderland, but he decided to tell his own version.
Now, you can read the true version of Alyss's adventures in wonderland- Princess Alyss to be exact.
Alyss's story begins at her 7th birthday party. Queen Geneve and Alyss are at her party, while they wait for King Nolan to return from negotiations with a bordering kingdom. While the Alyss celebrates, in the distance Redd looms ready to attack.
How will this play out? What happens next?

This book is a wonderful version of Alice/Alyss's story. Many of the facts about Lewis Carrol and Alice Liddel are true, which make it even historically interesting. I recommend this to anyone who likes fairy tale retellings, Alice in Wonderland, or just a good fantasy adventure.

message 24: by Kellee (last edited May 05, 2010 03:11PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 56. The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer The House of the Scorpion **** 4/30/10

Matt was not born- he was harvested, but as far as he knows, he is a normal little boy. He lives with Celia in a small house in the poppy fields. He can't leave ever, because Celia says it is too dangerous, but Matt is quite content in his little world. That is until some children show up at his window and Matt decides not to hide. The children get Matt to leave his safe haven, and they take him up to "the big house." This is where Matt learns that he is not a normal child. Mr. Alarcon sees his children with Matt and banishes Matt from the house calling him a dirty animal and livestock. After Matt is sent away to a small room to be taken care of by an evil housekeeper, he begins to learn the truth- he is a clone. In Matt's world, a futuristic North America in a country called Opium nestled between Mexico and the United States, clones are considered under the law the same way as livestock and animals. Most clones have their intelligence taken away at "birth", but Matt is different... Where will he fit in? Will he always be locked away? Where will he find an ally to help him?

This is a dark, dystopian novel that deals with our view of people different than us. The clones in this world could easily represent any race that is discriminated against. The House of the Scorpion is truly a book that will make you think.

message 25: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 57. Death Note, Volume 1 Boredom by Tsugumi Ohba Death Note, Volume 1: Boredom **** 5/1/10:

I'd give it a 4.5 if I could.
Such an interesting idea and it kept me reading and wanting more.
I am definitely going to keep reading this series.

message 26: by Kellee (last edited May 10, 2010 03:28PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 58. Hitler Youth Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow by Susan Campbell Bartoletti Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow ***** 5/3/10

During World War II, Hitler controlled more than just the military; he controlled the entire country of Germany. Much of what this book explains are parts of the WWII history that is not taught in our schools and shows the true extent of the power that Hitler had over everyone.

The Hitler Youth began as a voluntary organization to support Hitler, but it quickly became a way for Hitler to control the youth. Soon the Hitler Youth was not voluntary and they were being used in much the same way as the military.

This book tells true stories of children in the Hitler Youth and children that were brave enough to speak up. It is truly horrific and fascinating. Susan Campbell Bartoletti uses a combination of narrative and expository writing to take her reader on a journey through Nazi controlled Germany starting with their depression and taking us through the the end of World War II. By intertwining true stories of the youth of Germany with historical fact, Bartoletti pulls at your heart strings and shows the true effect that Hitler had on the entire nation. It also takes you through the steps that Hitler took to brainwash the entire population, starting with the most desperate citizens, including the youth.

Although many nonfiction books are hard to get through and are dry, this one has a voice to it that is deeper and more sensitive than most. You become connected to the people of Germany and the youth of the story, so it doesn't matter if that I already know the outcome- you have to know how they make it out of their deceit filled situation.

message 27: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 59. The Boy Who Dared by Susan Campbell Bartoletti The Boy Who Dared **** 5/9/10

Helmuth Hubener thought that Hitler was going to fix Germany, but the longer Hitler was in power, the more Helmuth realized that there was social injustice happening.

Based on a true story, The Boy Who Dared, accounts Helmuth's life and the choices he makes. Told in flashback, I felt that some of the suspense is taken away since you know Helmuth's current situation right from the beginning of the story; however, even with knowing the outcome, I wanted to read to figure out how Helmuth got there.

The exposition of the book helped me understand the extent of Helmuth's society at the time which made me even more sympathetic then I would have been just jumping into Helmuth's life. Although we all know about World War II and the Holocaust, unless you have read other books on World War II Germany, you may not understand the extent of Hitler's power and brainwashing. With The Boy Who Dared, we follow Helmuth through his feelings about Hitler and the decisions he made.

This book is fabulous to read with the nonfiction book by Susan Campbell Bartoletti, The Hitler Youth, which recounts the history around the Hitler Youth and what Helmuth was living through.

message 28: by Kellee (last edited May 25, 2010 05:35PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 60. Impossible by Nancy Werlin Impossible by Nancy Werlin **** 5/13/10

The Scarborough girls have been cursed for generations, forced to try and attempt three seemingly impossible tasks to release save themselves from the curse or they fall into insanity with the birth of their first daughter. The three tasks have been passed from generation to generation through a family version of the song “Scarborough Fair.” Lucy, though, has a different situation than the other Scarborough girls who are normally alone. Lucy has foster parents, friends who understand and a spirit which will not get knocked down.

Impossible by Nancy Werlin is a realistic fiction novel with a splash of fantasy. Normally novels which don’t have a specific genre turn me off- I like novels to pick one genre or another; however, with this novel, it worked. Because of how realistic the protagonist Lucy was, the fantastical parts of the novel didn’t seem so out of control.

Lucy, is such a strong female role. She is very sensible and headstrong, but smart about her decisions. Next to Lucy, though, I did find some of the characters flat and they had such great potential. For example, the Elfin Knight, who cursed the Scarborough family, had such potential for evilness, but instead he came off as cheesy at some points. He could have so easily been more evil and creepy, but it just never got there. This also happened with Lucy’s love interest, Zach. He was such a sweet guy, but the romance happened so suddenly and seemed unrealistic and that part was supposed to be realistic…

61. The Outside of a Horse by Ginny Rorby The Outside of a Horse by Ginny Rorby ***** 5/16/10

Ginny Rorby writes books about animal-human relationships and the healing power of these animals. This is animal fiction that falls into a completely different realm than others. She breathlessly intertwines human problems with animals. Her previous book, Hurt Go Happy, dealt with Joey, a deaf young girl, her mother’s inability to deal with her disability, and how Sukari, a young chimpanzee, helps Joey and her mother accept their life. Her newest book,The Outside of a Horse, deals with Hannah. Hannah Gale feels so alone. Her mother passed away from cancer a few years ago, her father is fighting in Iraq, her stepmother doesn’t really connect with her, and her brother, Jeffy, is just too young to be there for her. The only comfort to Hannah is when her school bus drives by the stables and she gets to see the horses. It is through these horses that Hannah finds comfort during this difficult time in her life that just keeps getting worse and worse.

It is through Ginny Rorby’s believable characters and realistic situations that the reader feels so connected to the animals and humans of her novels. Both The Outside of a Horse and Hurt Go Happy deal with not only a human issue, but an animal issue as well. The Outside of a Horse shows the reader the truth behind horse racing. What makes Rorby’s books different, though, is that she teaches about an animal issue, but does not preach. She lets you take in the truth and decide for yourself if it is an injustice or not.

62. Maya Running by Anjali Banerjee Maya Running by Anjali Banerjee *** 5/18/10

message 29: by Kellee (last edited May 25, 2010 05:34PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 63. The Eternal Hourglass (Magickeepers, #1) by Erica Kirov The Eternal Hourglass by Erica Kirov *** 5/23/10

A fun fantasy with some new ideas. Sometimes predictable, but overall, a great ride.

message 30: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 64. Mismatch by Lensey Namioka Mismatch by Lensey Namioka *** 5/25/10

A fabulous insight into the feelings of an Asian-American student.

message 31: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 65. Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers **** 5/28/10

This book was fabulous- well written, touching, funny, disturbing, informative, sad... so many adjectives fit how this book makes you feel.

When I started it I didn't know much about the Vietnam War, but reading about Richie Perry, a 17 year old boy from Harlen, in the boonies of 'Nam taught me more than I ever thought I would and not just facts, but the down and dirty of a soldier in the middle of it all.

message 32: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 66. Tiger Moon by Antonia Michaelis Tiger Moon by Antonia Michaelis (translated by Anthea Bell) 3.5 stars 6/5/10

Set in 1900 India, Tiger Moon follows Farhad on a journey which the god Krishna has sent him on to rescue his daughter from the demon king. Farhad journeys across India on the back of a sacred white tiger and meets many fascinating characters along the way.

This novel took me a very long time to get into it, which is quite rare for young adult books; however, as the Publisher Weekly review stated it best: "Michaelis's novel takes commitment, but proves thoroughly worthwhile." Once you get into the story, it is full of twists and turns and you want Farhad to be successful; so, you MUST keep reading to find out if he is.

Tiger Moon is so beautifully written which makes me jealous that it is originally written in another language, because if it is beautiful translated I cannot even imagine how it would be in its original tongue.

message 33: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 67. Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan ***** 6/6/10

I just wish that Paul's town was real... I want to live in Paul's town...

Paul, the protagonist of Boy Meets Boy, lives in a town where equality is the norm and prejudice is nonexistent. Paul was the first openly gay class president of his third grade class, the homecoming queen and school quarterback are the same person, straights and gays mingle without any conflict and everyone loves everyone for who they are. Now there is prejudice outside of Paul's town and high school, but not within. Tony, one of Paul's best friends, has strict religious parents who do not except him for being gay and Noah, a new boy in town, tells Paul how hard it was for him in other places. But in Paul's town, everyone blends together and just are people. Wonderful, fun, fantastic, regular people.

I wish this place existed. And that is what I felt as I was reading David Levithan's book. It almost felt like a dream, because I don't know if this place could ever exist; although, I know many of us would support it if it did. I wish that every gay teenager felt how Paul did. He is popular and sure of himself and does not endure a lot of what gay youth in our world have to face.

It is because a lot of the obstacles are taken away, though, that I think this novel would be a great way to have youth read about homosexuality. It doesn't have any prejudice along with it and shows how normal Paul is- except that he likes boys instead of girls.

And on top of all of this, the book was so much fun to read! The characters are so multi-faceted, the problems and dialogue seem realistic, and the story is ever gripping. I couldn't put the book down and finished it in about 90 minutes. Fantastic.

message 34: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 68. Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer ***** 6/8/10

This is the first book I've ever read that made me be scared for an apocalypse. The 2012 talk, the apocalyptic movies and dystopian novels all don't bother me, but this book terrified me; however, this made me not want to put the novel down.

The story closely revolves around Miranda and her family (mother and 2 brothers) after a meteor hits the moon, moving it off course. Because of the diary format of the novel, we get to hear Miranda's innermost thoughts. Pfeffer beautifully writes Miranda's voice so as a reader I quickly became attached to her. Because we are reading from Miranda's point of view, the love for her family transports through the writing. As the world gets worse and worse, I became more and more attached to Miranda and her family. I understood Miranda's frustrations, felt her mother's pain in making hard decisions, and sympathized with her brothers when they hurt. I also was happy when Miranda and her family had successes. Because of all these connections, the book was not only terrifying and realistic, but heart wrenching and wonderful.

message 35: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 69. Athletic Shorts Six Short Stories by Chris Crutcher Athletic Shorts: Six Short Stories by Chris Crutcher **** 6/10/10

This collection of short stories are often found on the ALA challenged book list. It has been challenged because it has a story that has an 18 year old boy befriending a man with AIDS, because it discusses homosexuality and because of its language. Chris Crutcher, though, is an expert at what he does-writing about reality. He said, "They think kids should not be exposed in print to what they are exposed in their lives. But I believe what I believe, so I write my stories." I, personally, find it spectacular that such a contemporary set of short stories was published in 1991!

Throughout these 6 stories we follow 6 different young adult males that are facing some daunting situations. Angus doesn't fit in and neither does his family, Johnny has a tough father, Petey was forced into facing a girl at a wrestling match, Lionel lost his family in a boating accident and is now an orphan, Telephone Man is a racist that may have found the light, and Louie is a boy faced with his own prejudice. Crutcher, through these fantastic short stories, takes us through these situations with grace and realism.

message 36: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 70. If I Stay by Gayle Forman If I Stay by Gayle Forman ***** 6/11/10

This one is hard to review.
I hadn't read anything about the book before I read it except that it was good and I think it made it better that way.
So, I am just going to say that I loved the book, read it in one sitting and recommend it greatly.

message 37: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 71. Things You Either Hate or Love by Brigid Lowry Things You Either Hate or Love by Brigid Lowry *** 6/14/10

Acceptance is the core theme of this novel and anyone who is or has been a young girl will totally understand. The protagonist, Georgia, is a girl that you will either connect to personally or who will remind you of someone.

I did find the novel easy and quick to read, but sometimes it seemed choppy (it'd jump from scene to scene) and at the end I think it rushed; however, even with these flaw, it was a fun read.

72. The Grave by James Heneghan The Grave by James Heneghan **** 6/15/10

Tom is a loner. He always has been- since he was abandoned in a department store when he was a year old. He's moved from foster home to foster home. The only constant has been Brian, an older mentally challenged boy who has moved from the last couple of foster homes with him. One night Tom (and Brian) go to the construction sight across from their school. Tom had felt a pull to the hole ever since they started working on it. The hole is surrounded by a tent and there is a night watch guard, but he MUST go to it. When he does, he is sucked into a world that will teach him so much about himself.

Heneghan mixes the story of Tom's life as a foster child with the story of his journeys in Ireland during the Irish Potato Famine in 1847. It is a good mix between the realistic fiction and historical fiction, although sometimes the jump from one to the other is unexpected. I do love that the book touches on two topics: foster care and the Irish Potato Famine.

73. Another Kind Of Cowboy by Susan Juby Another Kind Of Cowboy by Susan Juby **** 6/16/10

This book is about Alex and Cleo.
Both ride horses, but for very different reasons.
Both have problems, but very different problems.
Their lives cross and they begin to help each other.

I really enjoyed this book because it just seemed real. The characters seemed to be real with real problems and real families. Nothing was perfect like it is sometimes in books. It also didn't seem to be over the top, which is another way novels can go. Instead, it just all seems real.

The book switches between Alex's point of view and Cleo's, but one thing that did bother me was that Alex's sections were in 3rd person where Cleo's sections were in 1st. I am not sure why the author chose to do this and I'm not sure how I feel about it, but every time it switched, it took me for a loop.

message 38: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 74. American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang **** 6/16/10

3 stories intertwine to help Jin Wang discover and accept his true self.

"You know, Jin, I would have saved myself from five hundred years' imprisonment beneath a mountain of rocks had I only realized how good it is to be a monkey."

message 39: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 75. Feather Boy by Nicky Singer Feather Boy by Nicky Singer *** 6/16/10

message 40: by Kellee (last edited Jun 18, 2010 11:40AM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 76. Bound by Donna Jo Napoli Bound by Donna Jo Napoli **** 6/17/10

This is not a retelling of the Cinderella story we know, this is a retelling of the traditional Chinese Cinderella story. Although it has similarities to Grimm's version of the story, the difference of culture clearly changed aspects of the story. I loved how Donna Jo Napoli, as she explained in her afterwords, set Bound in a specific time in history so she could also include the conflict of bound feet in the story. The binding of feet is symbolic of the permanent servitude that women in China have subjected to. By adding the bound feet to the story, it was just one more thing that Xing Xing, our Cinderella, had to overcome.

77. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan ***** 6/18/10

What are the odds of finding two Will Graysons in one city, in the same place, at the same time? Well, it happens in Will Grayson, Will Grayson, and this random meeting of the two Will Graysons changes both of their lives forever.

I have read books by both Levithan and Green and this novel completely resonates with their personalities. Once again Green gives us a nerdy out-cast boy and Levithan gives us a non-stereotypical gay boy, both trying to figure out their life; however, like always, they both give a unique twist to the story, giving us a funny, heart-warming novel. I will admit, though, that I didn't like either Will Grayson at the beginning very much, but that was just the authors way of showing how much the boys needed to change and grow.

message 41: by Kellee (last edited Jun 27, 2010 09:41AM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 78. A Separate Peace by John Knowles A Separate Peace by John Knowles *** 6/19/10

message 42: by Kellee (last edited Jun 27, 2010 09:57AM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 79-88. Sandman Volumes 1 through 10
Preludes and Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1) by Neil Gaiman Preludes and Nocturnes **** 6/19/10
The Doll's House (The Sandman, #2) by Neil Gaiman The Doll's House ***** 6/20/10
Dream Country (The Sandman, #3) by Neil Gaiman Dream Country **** 6/20/10
Season of Mists (The Sandman, #4) by Neil Gaiman Season of Mists ***** 6/20/10
A Game of You (The Sandman, #5) by Neil Gaiman A Game of You **** 6/21/10
Fables and Reflections (The Sandman, #6) by Neil Gaiman Fables and Reflections **** 6/24/10
Brief Lives (The Sandman, #7) by Neil Gaiman Brief Lives ***** 6/25/10
Worlds' End (The Sandman, #8) by Neil Gaiman Worlds' End *** 6/26/10
The Kindly Ones (The Sandman, #9) by Neil Gaiman The Kindly Ones ***** 6/27/10
The Wake (The Sandman, #10) by Neil Gaiman The Wake ***** 6/27/10

Neil Gaiman brilliantly intertwines a new mythology of The Endless with mythologies from all over the world.

message 43: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 89. The City of Ember (The Ember Series, #1) by Jeanne DuPrau The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau **** 6/25/10

How dreary it would be to live in the city of Ember; mostly during Lina's time. I cannot even imagine something like light being sacred, but when you live in a city with no natural light, it is.

City of Ember had many themes and messages behind it, almost too many, but I loved that it was two children that decide to save the day. It was quite easy to fall in love with the characters and the book, thus making it a quick, entertaining read. Jeanne DuPrau really puts you in the midst of things and makes it so when the lights go out, I felt the same feelings as the characters. I even caught myself holding my breath once waiting for them to come on. I am looking forward to continuing the series, so I can see what happens next.

I also had the pleasure of listening to the audiobook and found it to be hypnotizing. Although it was not a complete production, sporadically, at important intervals, there would be sound effects which added a whole other layer to the story because it helped you hear what the characters were hearing.

message 44: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 90. Death Note, Volume 2 Confluence by Tsugumi Ohba Death Note, Volume 2: Confluence by Tsugumi Ohba **** 6/29/10

91. Death Note, Volume 3 Hard Run by Tsugumi Ohba Death Note, Volume 3: Hard Run by Tsugumi Ohba **** 6/30/10

92. Feed by M.T. Anderson Feed by M.T. Anderson *** 7/2/10

This book takes place in the future where most members of the society have a "feed" implanted in their brain. This feed gives them information, shows them things to buy and gives them entertainment. The feed also controls the major functions of the body.

First, I'd like to say that I listened to the audiobook, and I really felt that they did a great job. Whenever Titus or the narrator would share a Feed with the reader, the audio was made to actually sound like the commercial or show that the character was listening to.

M.T. Anderson showed us a future in this book that at first sounds like so much fun, and the first half of the book really was fun. Titus and his friends going to the moon, meeting new people, dancing... But soon the reader begins to realize that the world isn't as perfect as it seemed at first, and Titus goes on this journey with the reader. The second half of this book is quite heavy and deep. The tone quickly changes and the story all of a sudden takes a different focus. It is no longer the fun story it once was.

Now, this book almost falls into the dystopian realm, because of the consumerism that is pumped constantly (and with the government's permission) into the brains of the citizens with the feed, but I think that it better fits into sci-fi because of the focus on the technology, clothes, etc. that has changed in the future.

message 45: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 93. Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson **** 7/4/10

Laurie Halse Anderson was a preacher's daughter and a runner, so Kate Malone may start out as a bit of a reflection of herself. Hopefully, though, the likeness stops there.

When we meet Kate, she is actually kind of hard to place your finger on. She is so multi-dimensional and she even talks about having a good and a bad side that fight inside of her. But as things in her life start to become less routine and other parts of her life begin to crumble, you actually see Kate start to figure herself out. It does take a couple tragedies (one that flips everyone's world upside down), but Kate gets there.

I will say, much like Anderson's other books I've read, Catalyst becomes more and more extreme and emotional as you read it.

message 46: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 94. Do Not Pass Go by Kirkpatrick Hill Do Not Pass Go by Kirkpatrick Hill **** 7/6/10

Deet is unlike most middle grade protagonists- he is neat, orderly, a loner, quiet- he is even a little judgmental. That is until he becomes one of the people that he normally judges.

This book has some very important themes/lessons:
*Don't judge a book by its cover (or people by their cover, either).
*Different isn't always bad.
*Good things can come from bad situations.
*Acceptance of others for how they are.

I didn't felt that the books was preachy, though, even though you learn a lot along with Deet. It guided you and him through a tough situation.

message 47: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 95. Redwall (Redwall, #1) by Brian Jacques Redwall by Brian Jacques **** 7/12/10

Often times, books with animal as the main characters is either really hard to connect to or it is just so sappy and sad. Redwall fits into neither category. It is easy to connect to our characters: Constance: the badger who protects everyone, Matthias: the mouse who wants to be a warrior, Cornflower the young mouse who loves Matthias, The Abbot: the head of Redwall who is a pacifist and, of course, Cluny: the rat that wants to to take over Redwall. It also wasn't too sappy and sad. Now, it is a story of battles between Cluny and Redwall, so there is death and sadness, but it is never just to have an animal die to sap up the book.

Overall, I did really enjoy this book. It is a story of a quest and a battle. Redwall is often compared to Lord of the Rings, but I think it is something that should just be explained on its own.

message 48: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 96. Lost Time by Susan Maupin Schmid Lost Time by Susan Maupin Schmid *** 7/14/10

Susan Maupin Schmid makes a new world filled with mystery in this sci-fi novel. Although at first it is hard to keep track of the new species and planets, you soon get entwined in the adventure and puzzlement of helping Violynne find her parents.

message 49: by Kellee (last edited Jul 15, 2010 10:00PM) (new)

message 50: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) 99. The Seer of Shadows by Avi The Seer of Shadows by Avi **** 7/17/10

Not very often do ghost stories actually get to me, but this one did. I am sure it has to do with Avi and his amazing writing, but by the time I finished this book, I had goosebumps.

I also love how Avi intertwined a political historical fiction issue, photography/science and ghost stories all into one book.

« previous 1