American Historical Fiction discussion

Hawaiian History

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit I'm guessing this counts as American Historical. It's still early going but I am thoroghly enjoying The Last Aloha by Gaellen Quinn. Late 1800's, MC is working as governess for one of the royal princesses and I believe there's lots of plots and intrigue coming ahead as the Royal family is deposed and leading up to statehood. I'll let you know more later

The Last Aloha by Gaellen Quinn

message 2: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallycabotgunning) I've just finished America, America by Ethan Kanin, about the 1972 presidential election and fictional candidate -- I'm enjoying it more the more I think about it and piece together the threads.

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Q (jenny_q) | 607 comments Mod
Interesting, Misfit. I'd definitely like to see your review on that one.

Sally, at first I didn't think America, America sounded like my kind of book, but I just read a review and it sounds really good! Someone has it up on Swap, too.

message 4: by Sally (new)

Sally (sallycabotgunning) Jenny wrote: "Interesting, Misfit. I'd definitely like to see your review on that one.

Sally, at first I didn't think America, America sounded like my kind of book, but I just read a review and it sounds real..."

I'll await your review with interest!

message 5: by Misfit (new)

Misfit I'm almost done. It's very good but I have a few quibbles. I don't plan to get the review up until the weekend, I want to spend some time with it and do it properly. I do recommend it though.

Normally I'd say ILL it if your library doesn't have it but there's quite a waiting list for the six copies my county has. Very surprising for a lesser known book.

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt | 121 comments Hawaii.. I'd like to post some of my Hawaiian historical finds for you all to take a look at. Here they are: Shark Dialogues, Moloka'i, Wai-nani: High Chiefess of Hawai'i - Her Epic Journey. These were all 5 star books for me.