Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Archives (Deleted&moved topics) > Goodreads Bookswap!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) Hey members, I just found out about this ultra-cool feature!

http://www.goodreads.com/swap

From what I understand, you can send and request different books through the mail from goodreads! Have a book you don't want anymore? Have a book you want to read? You can use goodreads swap!

Okay, just wanted to make sure everybody was aware of that!

message 2: by Diana (new)

Diana Wouldn't you have to give out your address for that?

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) I don't think so, from what I understand you give that just to the person you're getting the book from, and there's a privacy thing that keeps your info from getting out :D

I thought that same thing too

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana Yea! I would definately consider doing it then.

message 5: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
Well I have 3, yes you heard right 3!!!!! double books.
I have 2 copies of THE LOVELY BONES, THE HUNCHBACK ASSIGNMENTS and THE HUNGER GAMES.
I got Lovely Bones at a half price sale, when i forgot my mum had it. Hunchback assignments, i got one for christmas, one for my birthday (different people)
and i brought a second copy of HUNGER GAMES for $1 at the library sale to lend to people.

message 6: by Annie (new)

Annie (AnnieIsCool13) | 562 comments That sounds awesome!

message 7: by ★ Jess (new)

lol.

I almost brought ANGELS AND DEMON again for $1 at the library for the sake of having 2 copies. Making it 4 doubles, but i decided against it.

message 8: by Molly (new)

Molly (daleksinwonderland) | 235 comments I have two copies of Little Men. If anyone wants one let me know :D

message 9: by ★ Jess (new)

I was surprised with all my double copies.
I have 3!
Probably more, at my grandparents house some where...

message 10: by Ayundabhuwana (new)

Ayundabhuwana (ayundabs) for those who has lots of books, you should make a library ^^

message 11: by Diana (new)

Diana I'm planning on doing that someday!!!!!!!

message 12: by ★ Jess (new)

lol. My profile pic is a bit of my bookshelf.
I have a whole walls worth....
PS in the pic it looks messy, but all the book lying ontop, were taken from other levels.

message 13: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Mine is actually me. Yes, me, the one who hates pictures. :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

in my house we have 3 MASSIVE bookshelfs all filled && 2other book shelfs 3/4 the size of them filled && we got a tall cane arch shelf thing with our picture book from when me &&my bro was little.

and there are books litterd in my && bros room

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

thats allotta books :)

message 16: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) Jordan wrote: "Mine is actually me. Yes, me, the one who hates pictures. :)"

Is that "love" in your arm? I did that for To Write Love On Her Arms day. xD

message 17: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments Yep :)

I missed TWLOHA day, so I did it on Valentine's Day. Then redid it for about a week. Then I lost my sharpie pen...but I recently found it...

message 18: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments My picture, I just made today.... Edmond, Darcy and Percy (Blakeney, not Jackson). That's a cool pic of you, Jordan. And I plan on having a huge library in my house when I have my own house. I already have run out of bookshelf space multiple times.

I would do bookswap, if I had any books I wanted to get rid of, which I don't. In fact, I want more books. Not that I have the space for them.

Am I the only one who has a book in like every room, all the time?

message 19: by ★ Jess (new)

Well MOST fiction books in my house are in my room.
I'll post a full pic of my bookshelf once i have completed my 'fill the gaps' aim.
Yes, every single book is on my bookshelf, ant there is no more room normal. BUT im going to stuff books in every free space to make it look super packed and cosy.
I'll pot once im done.

PS i was at a book sale today, and i brought 5 Stephan King books for $2 each. He is the worlds best selling author, and i got 5 of his books, in great condition, for $10.
So that helps

message 20: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Ok... Am I the only one who has serious issues buying used books?

I didn't used to.... There was this half-priced bookstore that I about lived at when I was younger, but now, I just don't like buying used books. If the spine is broken in the store, when I'm looking to buy the book, I won't buy it. I just get so... I almost want to say protective of my books that I want them to be mine. Anything that happens to them needs to be my fault, so I will know exactly what it was. I hate lending out books now, because they always come back with tattered corners and spines that are brokena million times. Don't get me wrong, I want my books to look like they've been read (you should see my copies of Harry Potter), but I want to be the one to wear them in. Is that selfish? Crazy?

message 21: by ★ Jess (new)

NO, i agree.
The only book is buy second hand are ones in fairly good condition (no loose pages, broken spines ect)
****By broken spines, do you mean actually BROKEN spines, or spines that are slightly creased?*******
The ones i have are old books. (all but two of my Stephan King book are 2nd hand) and I have many old classics that are too.
But the old classics are the only ones i buy second hand.
That way, not only do i save a fair bit of money, but it like the book has a history too it.
You know?

message 22: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Like, spines where when you open the book, the page goes to where the break in the spine is. Or if there's that white line going down the spine of the book. That drives me crazy.

I usually buy Barnes and Noble classics (and I buy Shakespeare from them too) because I have yet to see one that is over $10. This is pretty reasonable, because other places you'd find a comparable copy for twice as much.

I wish I could afford to have all hardcover books. They last so so so much longer, and they are prettier.

message 23: by ☺♡M♡☺ (new)

☺♡M♡☺ (moonlanpersonyahoocom) | 131 comments The book swap feature is only available in USA. So other countries…yeah.

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (Lisao_0) I never buy my books secondhand....its just something i dont do ;)and am i the only one who has this thing about having every single book of a series...like if i buy one book i have to buy the rest ;)books are very expensive these days.

I just bought the third book in the skulduggerypleasant series at the school festival bookshop where i gotDerek Landy to sign it ;)

message 25: by ★ Jess (new)

Lisa wrote: "I never buy my books secondhand....its just something i dont do ;)and am i the only one who has this thing about having every single book of a series...like if i buy one book i have to buy the rest..."

LUCKY!
Yep, i do that. if i buy one, i must buy the rest.
There is only one series i have ever not done that for. And thats beacsue i went to the library right after i finished.

message 26: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Haha, my parents get so irritated.... The other day, my mom was like, "Why is The Count of Monte Cristo on the couch?" (Which, when you think about it, sounds 10 times funnier than it actually is!) I was reading it, was what I told her, and she just sighed and walked away.

message 27: by Jade (new)

Jade | 25 comments lol

message 28: by Annie (new)

Annie (AnnieIsCool13) | 562 comments Im okay with buying used books as long as there in good condition. I recently bought a book from a used bookstore and about 10 pages were missing! I inspect my books before I buy them now.

message 29: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Well, and here's my other thing about them: Goodness only knows who has touched them. I'm no germophobe, but I have a problem with not knowing who has touched a book.

message 30: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Once again, I'm glad I am not the only one with this problem. ;)

message 31: by Ayundabhuwana (new)

Ayundabhuwana (ayundabs) I once borrowed a book from a library and there were about 20 pages missing!! I was so upset, because I was in the middle of the story and I'll never know the missing part... :(
if I ever meet the guy who did that, I'll sue him :D but I guess I'll never meet that person anyway..

message 32: by ★ Jess (new)

lol. It might have been me...

kidding kidding :D

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (Lisao_0) hey guy! i have exciting news okay not that exciting but excitiing! ii went t the movies today but afterward my mum couldn't pick me up so i spent like two hours litearally in Borders and i stayed there coze i wanted mum to pay for the books! oh yer! i got.... [image error](but my cover is cooler than this one and Hourglass (Evernight, #3) by Claudia Gray

message 34: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments I loved Heist Society! Ally Carter is one of my favorite authors. (and you found a different cover for it? or the other one?)

message 35: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments I love her gallager girls series, but how far I get into it depends on whether my library gets the books :(0

message 36: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Lolz whether I get books depends on when I babysit for my neighbor

message 37: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Uh huh. And I might get to again soon

message 38: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Uh huh. And I got to get off now since her phones about to die.

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (Lisao_0) Rae*The Ultimate Percabeth Fan* wrote: "I loved Heist Society! Ally Carter is one of my favorite authors. (and you found a different cover for it? or the other one?)"

I got one with a black cover and a blonde girl (hard to explain but wayyy cooler) however i cant find it on here maybe its just an austrlian cover or something >_<

message 40: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments I'm gonna look it up. *looks it up* I didn't find it. lolz

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (Lisao_0) i no wait.....cant find it either but its really cool

message 42: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments you should take a pic and upload it to goodreads

message 43: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments cause im curious about what it looks like- cause i couldn't find it on the numerous sites is looked through

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (Lisao_0) okay i do that ;) it would be on my profile ;)

message 46: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments that's pretty cool. i think i like the regular cover better. (is it an ARC? cause that might be why)

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (Lisao_0) haha i dunno both of the covers r pretty cool i kinda like the original ones breakfast at tiffany kinda thing but this one is like badass thief kinda thing ;)*deep breath* this moght be a tad embarrassing but wats an ARC and i bought it at borders does that help ?????? :)

message 48: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 2426 comments ARC is an Advanced Readers' Copy. Publishers give them out before the book is officially released...

message 49: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) ooow available only in the US...

message 50: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (Lisao_0) uh huh well i live in Australia sooooo yer :) nope

« previous 1