All Ears Audiobooks discussion

General Discussion > Kalliope Audiobooks/Nobody's Boy

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 47 comments I found a new audiobook site...mainly for children's books, and they don't seem to have many books out yet, but the good news is they have several old forgotten children's books. I don't know whether their books are unabridged, CDs or not, but I did listen to one sample, which sounds quite good and has sound effects added. I will have to keep an eye on their site.

http://www.kalliope-audiobooks.com/

I found this site because every so often I try to find an old book I love on disk. Never found it.
These folks are making it into an audiobook. It's about time!
The book is Sans Famille by Hector Malot, aka The Adventures of Remi, Nobody's Boy, The Foundling, etc.
It's an 1800s novel about a French boy, Remi, who is sold by his foster father at eight years old to an traveling musician and dog trainer. Plenty happens to keep you entertained, though unlike Oliver Twist, Remi does meet several people along the way who treat him well, and who serve as family while he searches for who he belongs to.
I recommend this book highly if you enjoy victorian writing styles...Remi and his master Vitalis are wonderful characters, along with the animals they travel with. I'm waiting impatiently to hear samples of the audiobook, but if you'd like to try this book out in print, in English, look for the 1916 or 1920's versions at the library. Or it should be in PDF on Google Book Search.

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 47 comments As an amendment, I poked around the site a bit more and found that their asking price for Daddy Long Legs, an audiobook actually available in other formats, is selling for $75! Guess I'll have to wait for the price to go down...Great idea, I'm interested in the relatively unknown books, but some are available in print now for free, so I'm not quite sure about the price. I want some of them in audio, but for that price, I'll have to wait, and they should really be unabridged then.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliemoncton) | 248 comments Mod
Thanks for finding this one, Dawn. Interesting idea to bring some of the less famous classics to audio. Hope they succeed!

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 47 comments Julie at All Ears wrote: "Thanks for finding this one, Dawn. Interesting idea to bring some of the less famous classics to audio. Hope they succeed!"

Thanks! I hope they succeed as well. It's a wonderful idea to have the option of getting some of my favorite out of print stories in audio...even if some aren't available yet.

message 5: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnaweyer) Dawn wrote: "As an amendment, I poked around the site a bit more and found that their asking price for Daddy Long Legs, an audiobook actually available in other formats, is selling for $75! Guess I'll have to w..."

Dunno what format you need it in, but I just downloaded Daddy Long Legs from Netlibrary for free...

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 47 comments Hi Donna,
I actually don't need that one, but it was the only audiobook on the site I found with a price. I've explored NetLibrary a little bit. The audiobook expires after something like 3 weeks, right? Free is always excellent, though. Now you've got me wanting to browse NetLibrary again...

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnaweyer) Netlibrary does not replace a good book/audio store as many of the books available are not as current as you might want. Their selection is not very extensive either and of course you can't order from them. But it has a great listing of classics. If I want to listen to a classic or an older book that's the first place i look. They also have ebooks, which i've never tried, so i'm not sure if they are Kindle or Nook compatible.

Check out is 21 days, and there's a 21 day renewal. There's also a limit of books you can have out at once - 10. My big complaint about that is I haven't found a way to say "I'm done" and remove books from the check out before the 21 days. So, if i check out 10 books at a time i have to wait 21 days before i can check out any more - even if i have finished listening to some.

But, considering it's free with my library card, I don't have to go anywhere to use it, and it works with my habit of reading classics, it's a great tool. Worth your time to check out.

message 8: by Giang (new)

Giang Lưu | 2 comments Dawn wrote: "I found a new audiobook site...mainly for children's books, and they don't seem to have many books out yet, but the good news is they have several old forgotten children's books. I don't know wheth..."

Could you please show me how to download the audiobooks of the book Nobody's boy? I've tried many times but I couldn't download!!! Thank you very much!!!

message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 47 comments Hi Giang,
I wish I could help you, but so far haven't tried to download the book myself. I'm not sure what the problem would be -- sometimes a hidden radio button you need to check, other payment options, or website problems. If you contact the webmaster on the site, they might be able to help. If I download the book in the meantime, I'll let you know how it worked for me.

message 10: by Giang (new)

Giang Lưu | 2 comments Dawn wrote: "Hi Giang,
I wish I could help you, but so far haven't tried to download the book myself. I'm not sure what the problem would be -- sometimes a hidden radio button you need to check, other payment o..."

Dear Dawn,
I clicked the link http://www.kalliope-audiobooks.com/ and it's all written in Japanese. Then I used translating tool of Chrome to translate this web into English but I didn't find anything relative to downloading the audiobooks. It's title is "The purchase price of [Magic The Gathering] rare Dragon card was awesome! !" @@
Hope to hear your good news soon!

message 11: by Philip (new)

Philip Halabi | 1 comments I contacted the audio production company, Antland Productions, through Facebook, and they told me that Kalliope Audiobooks pulled the plug back in 2009. They said Kalliope wouldn't listen to reason that $75 is too much for an audiobook, and that no one would ever buy it. They may try to reach out to Kalliope to secure the rights to their audiobooks and then sell them at a reasonable price.

message 12: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 47 comments Thank you. I also thought %75 was too much, but it's good to know what happened to the rights.