Writers Row discussion

Writing > The World's Fate

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aviva, avpm/avps :) (new)

Aviva (NewTimeLord) | 754 comments Mod
Prologue
I saw it coming. The blackness creeping into my vision. The ice coming up to meet me. I tried to fight it, I did.

I lost.

Chapter One - Things I Thought I Forgot ~Sera
A man sits in a chair. A woman sits on a couch with a child, another is in a doorway that leads to her room. Suddenly the man stands, his eyes wide, staring at the outside door. The older child, the one standing, is frightened and runs to her mother. The little one whimpers softly. The mother is alert, rigid, with an arm around each child. "Jaiju?" she whispers, so quietly that they can scarcely hear her. No one answers. Then an urgent whisper. "Lyda, take Sera and Lio. I will follow."
"Jaiju!" Lyda protests in the same tone. A pause. "Surrounded," she whispers, her eyes wide and frightened. She holds the children close.
The door Jaiju is staring at crashes open. It falls to the floor with a loud bang in the scared silence. Ugly men, beasts really, walk in. They are all muscle. Jaiju and Lyda have seen them before from the looks they wear on their faces. Pure hatred. No fear.
"What do you want?" Jaiju snarls. "You are not welcome here."
They do not speak, but one pulls out an object. He points it at Jaiju, who falls to the floor in anguish. On Lyda's face there is a mixture of fear and hatred. "Leave us," she says commandingly though her voice shakes with fear.
"Make me," smirked the leader. He walked up to Jaiju and lifted him from the floor. He shook him. Hard. "Just hand over the girl!" he said loudly. "And we won't harm you ever again."
Lyda shook with anger, no fear anymore. "You want us to just hand over our child?"
The beasts growl, furious. The leader drops Jaiju to the ground and walks over to Lyda and the children. He mutters something incoherent, but Sera, the young girl, gasps as though she understood. He smiled a wicked smile that seemed to be saying, That's right. Now come with me.
"No!" Sera shouts. "Never!" Her voice is full of anger and disbelief that he would even think that. She feels no fear, though she is a seven year old facing a massive beast. Everyone else in the room holds their breath as they waited for what girl and beast will do next. It comes from the girl.
"Go!"
She pointed to the open doorway. The beasts did not control themselves. They walk out the door. The leader is last. He swings his head around to face the girl that is more power than him. "You have not heard the end of this! We will get her in the end!"
The door slams back onto its hinges and the girl runs to her mother shaking with fear.
"It's all right, Sera," Lyda consoles her. "It's okay now. You're a very special girl.

The scene dissolves and another takes its place;
A twelve year old girl sits by a desk reading in a classroom. The teacher is nowhere to be seen, someplace outside of the room. A boy walks over to her. "Sera." The word sits in the air. It falls to the floor with a thud. All the other children in the room look up from their work.
"What are you reading? Anything good?" When the girl doesn't look up, he spits in the book. The girl, Sera, looks up and spits into his face. She continues reading after a muttered, "Idiot."
"Ewww!" the boy shouts. "Get it off me!"
Sera, bewildered, looks up. "What?" she asks. "It's just spit."
The boy is furious. He grabs her hand and smears a glob of 'spit' on it. "Just spit?" he asks before stomping back to his seat.
The scene turns to that afternoon. Sera is walking in the door of her home. She sets down her things, sheds her coat to the rack on the wall. She sits down in a chair. "Lyda?" she calls up the stairs. A pitter-patter of feet come down from the floor above. Lyda comes into view. "Ah, Sera," she says. "you're home."
Sera tells her mother about the boy and the spit. One sentence from her mother stands out. "You're very special, Sera."

The scene swirls around and when it stops it is a few years later;
Sera, now fifteen, walks home. Weird things had happened around her all day at school. It is a content kind of day, the sun showing and the temperature just right. She kicks a pebble. Instead of skidding across the grass, it flies upward like a bird into the clouds. Sera stares for a moment before continuing on her way. She hears a boom and stops in her tracks. She sees a small explosion in the direction the pebble. She walks faster toward home.
The door is standing open when she reaches it. Inside, Sera can see the chairs and couch all where they were that morning, the table in the same place. Everything seems normal. Then she finds the note.
Our dear Sera,
We have left our home for reasons cannot say in a letter,
but I can tell you we very much wanted to take you and your
brother. Take care of him, and watch out for enemies. Please
do not come after us, for we are in a place you could never find
us, no matter how you tried and with all you power and possess.
Sera imagines her mother sighing and looking at her in that sad way of hers. She reads on.
I should have told you before, I wish I could have told you in
person what you need to know right now. You are unique, Sera
more than you think. If When we see you I will tell you
more: if someone else reads this I do not want them to know. We
have to go, I'm sorry.
Love your parents,
Lyda and Jaiju
Sera slumps into a chair clutching the letter in her hand. She surveys the room. After reading the note it seems barren and empty. The beautiful day seems to taunt her. Lio walks into the house. He drops his pack by the door and looks around the room.
"Where's Lyda and Jaiju?" he asks, nervous. He is only nine.
"They've…left." Sera's voice seems empty, blank, void of feeling. She hands Lio the paper.
Lio looks up after reading the letter through twice. His green eyes are filled with a mixture of emotions. Sera sees determination in them. She agrees with him.
"We go find them ," she says, both their thoughts. Even though the note said not to, she has a feeling inside her that she can, and will. The past words of Lyda that she has been told many times come to her. "You're more special than you realize, Sera."
I come to consciousness enough to think two thoughts: Where is my brother? And why am I so special?

message 2: by Aviva, avpm/avps :) (new)

Chapter Two - Waking to a New World ~Utr
"Is she ever going to wake up?"
"Who is she, anyway?"
"What motivated you to bring her?"
"I think she's important."
"She had a certain air about her, a vibration of magic keeping her from death."
"Interesting. Very."
The voices bounce around the room. A door closes. Sera opens her eyes to put faces to the names. Four people. Four reactions. Sera wonders where the fifth voice went.
One of the three boys just raises his eyebrows. He is leaning against the door. His eyes are a dark brown, his hair seems the same, but in the light it is blue. His features are sharp but he looks to me like someone that hides his feelings and keeps his face blank. He seems handsome.
One walks over to her. This one has a small ponytail a light brown with a streak of black down the middle. His eyes are the color of the ocean. The other waits and watches what will happen. He, unlike the others, has darker skin, perhaps the color of a dark tan. He looks like a quiet person to me. He stands silent, every part of him still. You would think he was dead but for the tiny rise and fall at his breathing and his eyes watching everything. The girl stands by him, her the same coloring, smiling that their rescued Earth human is finally awake. Her hair is long, to about her knees. It is white and green, an odd mixture that surprises Sera. Her smile is warm and welcoming. The boy that walked over to Sera speaks.
"My name is Sludo," he say gallantly. "I am seventeen and enjoy studying magic. I live here on Dazt."
Sera nods, but looks confused at the mention of Dazt. "My name is Sera. I live on Earth. I'm 16 and… I think I have magic." Sludo laughs.
The girl walks over. "I'm Lazi," she introduced herself also. "I live on Jhufr, of the Green Passage. This" - she motioned toward the boy she was standing by - "is my brother, my twin, Alute. We're sixteen."
The last person in the room without a name to the face stepped forward. "Radte," he offered. "Fia."
A woman walks into the room then. Ah, the fifth voice. The thought of Sera.
"Finally! You're awake." She rushes over. The teens move away from the bed for her to get through. "I'm Pila," she explains more gently. "I'm the mother of Sludo. He's a bit of a trouble maker." Sera tries to ask where they are but Pila intervenes. "I will tell you about how you got here, and where exactly here is, then you can tell us your story and ask your questions."

I will remember the next part. It’s important. I have a very good memory. You have too if you live from the beginning to the end.

Pila speaks again, gently. "Sludo, Lazi, Alute, and Radte were walking under the waves yesterday. They saw a purple vibration and as they got closer a person in the middle. That was you. There was something keeping you from death. That told them you were important." Pila took a deep breath. "When they started toward you, they realized that you were not on Dazt, not even in the Fire and Ice Poles. Something had brought a projection of you there." That would have been me, I think. Sometimes I do things without knowing, but I know she is important, even if I don't know why. Pila continues, "They passed though the barrier and brought you here. You slept for about 36 hours.”
Sera looks toward the shaded window. “Is it midnight?” she asks softly.
Lazi answers the question. “Yes, Sera. Why?”
Sera looks at the five other people in the room. Her expression is that of someone that has lost something very important. Oh, well that's what she is. "I fell at midnight."
Pila is not finished quite yet. “Before you tell us your story, we’ll tell you where you are. Lazi?”
Lazi gets a big map from the corner and walks to the bed. Her long, dark brown braid swishes as she walks. “This is no ordinary map, Sera. It shows galaxies and planets, yes, but they show them rotating and revolving.” She opens the map and spreads it on the bed. Sera’s eyes widen as she looks at a map like no other she has ever seen. Not because the things are moving, but galaxies and planets instead of states, countries, and continents.
“Wow,” she whispers. It’s all she can say. Lazi smiles.
“Here is the Fire and Ice Poles galaxy,” Lazi says. She touched a blob of color. At her touch the map changes. “We are here.” she points to a multicolored planet. “Dazt is very mountainous,” she says. “It has beautiful lakes and oceans, and if you’re watching the sunset by one it is amazing. It is an ice planet, so the mountains have snow covering them and the summer is very short. The other ice planets are Vetr and Kuilo, the fire planets are Fia, Hefr, and Floi.” Lazi zooms back to the map a galaxies as Sera watches in amazement. “Now, an overview of the Milky Way. You should know about the planets here, right? Mercury and Venus gone, Earth, Mars with the mutants fighters, Jupiter’s gas creatures, Uranus’s dreaded dreams, and Neptune’s water humanoids. What?” She had noticed Sera’s face of confusion.
“There isn’t life on the other planets in our solar system,” Sera says incredulously. All heads turn to her.
“There is,” Lazi answers. “Just Earth’s technology cannot find them.” She goes back to the main map and presses another blob. “This is The Green Passage, home of Aero, Xaflo, Jhufr, Swerz, Gevtr, Plitr, and Kyfi. Swerz and Gevtr are brother planets. They stay very close together and have many bridges and such connecting them. The same goes for Plitr and Kyfi, which are sister planets. Now, enough geography. I want to know about your fall.”
But, before that, I forgot to introduce myself. I am Utr, the universe, the god, the creator. I come into this story a little later.

message 3: by Aviva, avpm/avps :) (new)

Chapter Three - Sharing of Memories ~Radte
Character Profile
Name: Radte
Galaxy - Planet: Fire and Ice Poles - Fia
Appearance: dark brown eyes, hair the same but in the light looks blue, sharp features, looks like he hides feelings well and keeps face blank
Personality: caring, quiet, understanding, fierce
Intelligence/Power: some knowing the future, sensing things far away but not close,
Other: family killed from war

I listened while Pila explained the events from yesterday. I stayed silent when Sera told us she fell at midnight. What does that even mean? Is that important?
Pila encourages Sera to state her story when Lazi is done explaining galaxies. “What happened before then?” she urges her when Sera hesitates.
Sera takes a deep breath. “It all started when I was seven…” That gets me interested. She explains about beasts that she controlled, spit turning to goo, a letter from last year. I interrupt at the part where they leave home. “Why did you leave when they told you not to? It doesn’t make sense.”
“I felt that I could find them. I don’t really know why. I just had a feeling inside of me that I would be able to locate them,” Sera admits. “Now I’m not so sure.” She hesitates once more before going on. “We walked and camped for weeks, months. Our birthdays passed without our caring or even knowing at the time. Sometimes I felt a tug that made me think we were going in the right direction but then it left. And we were all alone trying to find someone that didn’t think they could be found. We were in the Arctic north when it happened. I don’t really know what ‘it’ is. I think I slipped and fell into the ocean. All I know is that I saw the ice coming closer, my brother shouting, and then nothing. But then something saved me.” Sera looks confused. “I couldn’t die, but I didn’t feel alive. I was floating in my own world somewhere in between. And I was remembering things that I didn’t know I remembered.” She looks up at us, pausing at every face, taking it all in. “Then you found me. I felt myself return to the living side of things. I was now sleeping, not out cold or possibly dead.”
Everyone is silent, drinking in the words. I break their thoughts. “Now what happens?”
“I want to find my brother and parents. I also want to learn about magic, find out what protected me.” Sera looks thoughtful. “How will I get back to Earth?”
I look at Sludo. “The portal is probably still there, right?” I ask. Sludo excels in things like that. He shakes his head. My eyebrows scrunch together. “Why?”
“I think the portal was just there for us to get sera here,” Sludo explains. “If it wanted her to be on Earth it wouldn’t have shown her to us.”
Sera has a lot of emotions fighting on her face, I notice. Grief, wonder, desperation a bit. “I have to get back!” she pleads. “My brother is somewhere alone probably thinking I’m dead and my parents are who knows where. I have to get back!” No one knows what to do. Then Pila speaks gently. “It’s late. We should all get some sleep.”

I awake in the morning and Sera is already out of her bed. I go to the kitchen to see if she found it and got some breakfast, but she isn’t there. Hmm, she doesn’t know her way around yet, that’s odd. After looking through the whole house, I stick my head out the door to see her sitting on the ice edge overlooking the lake. Ice edges are like docks. I walk over to her and see a faraway look in her eyes. “Will I ever go home?” she asks quietly. I didn’t know she had noticed me. “I don’t know,” I answer. I sit down next to her and watch the sun rise.

Lazi gave Sera a tour of the house two days ago, but in some way I think she knew her way around. Maybe that has something to do with the power we’re all sure she has. Well, all except her, that is. Pila follows her around most of the time trying to figure it out. I can imagine how she feels about leaving her home planet and not being able to get back, and about her family, but the others can’t.

This morning I find Sera at the ice edge again. She goes there every morning. I sit next to her and we watch the sun in silence for quiet while.
“Sera?” I ask quietly, turning my head to face her.
“Yes?” she replies softly. Her eyes have that look in them that means her mind is far away. A hesitation.
“What’s you brother’s name?”
I can see Sera’s eyes snap back to reality right away. Another pause. Then a whisper in the breeze, “Lio.” I can barely hear it. Lio, I think.
“My brother’s name was Fti,” I say unexpectedly after a few moments. Now Sera turns to me. “Was?” she questions gently. I nod.
“You know I’m from Fia, right? Then you could wonder why I’m here.” I sigh and continue. “There is a war going on in these Fire and Ice Poles. Against Fia. I had to escape after the last of my family, Fti, was killed. I knew I could come here because Dazt is on our side and I know Pila and Sludo. Now all I have are memories and the people here.” I know that my face darkens. “It won’t be long before Fia is gone like Mercury and Venus.”
Sera’s face shows sympathy and I know it’s real. She looks like she might have forgotten about her own family for the time being. “I didn’t know you could relate to my situation so much,” she says honestly. “I thought no one could relate to how I feel.”
I grimace, thinking of how many people I knew on Fia that felt that way. “It’s a horrible feeling.”
“Why do you think I’m here?” Sera asks looking across the lake.
“I don’t know. I wish I did,” I answer in a murmur. “Is there anything we can do for you to help?”
Sera blinks looking at me then looks back across the lake. “I think you’ve done enough already…giving me a place where I feel welcomed and telling me about your brother. It helps having someone that understands.”
I smile just for a moment before I feel something coming. A message that will bring us together.

message 4: by Aviva, avpm/avps :) (last edited Mar 28, 2010 12:19PM) (new)

Chapter Four - The Great War ~Utr
It all started eleven years ago when Mars and Jupiter got together. Two aggressive planets joined together against two peaceful planets. Not good. Udi was happy, at least at the beginning. Udi is my younger brother, god of the World of Dead. That is the other dimension of the universe, where everyone dead goes. He gets the pleasure of taking them to his kingdom. He likes the normal run, a pleasant exercise, he says. Then if there’s a bombing, or a small fight out of two planets, hardcore. A full out war is too much and he has to have his seconds help him.
The War. Jupiter and Mars decided Mercury and Venus shouldn’t be there. That they should be wiped out. So they gathered armies and armies, recruited Neptune to fight with them, and declared war. All the troops went at the same time. Bombs the size of Earth’s moon were dropped on the two planets closest to the sun. Mercury and Venus’s creatures were not even close to ready, but they gave a fair fight, for their size against the three offenders. I found a diary of someone from Venus and someone from Jupiter.
Vera from Venus’s says, ‘I was coming home from school and had just turned the corner to my home when I saw the smoke rising up. I stopped in my tracks, mouth open and almost got a bomb dropped right on my head. Not that I could have run far. I am deeply injured and cannot move from this patch of Blue if another bomb comes. My whole family is gone along with most of my friends. Venus is almost gone. Maybe I should just die.
I cannot believe that I live for yet another day. I thank Utr.’

That’s how many of the people felt. When Udi went to retrieve the dead, he heard cries for him, ‘Udi, take me! Please!’, ‘Kill me, I want to die!’, ‘Udi I have nothing left here, take me to your dimension!’, or ‘Thank Utr that I am alive.’
I watched sadly as they tore each other apart, the Venuans and Mercans fought very bravely. Not everyone of them died; some, like Vera, escaped and ended up on one of the friendly planets in the Milky Way or in the Green Passage. Vera and her only friend that survived made it to the Fire and Ice Poles. Floi, I believe, maybe Kuilo. They were welcomed as one of them. Others were not so lucky.

Then Nhyl’s journal. A Jupit. He was one of the recruits that wasn’t happy about the war. His says, ‘Mads Day, Jert 4137
We bombed Venus today. I was front line. Felt horrible about it. I hate killing innocent people. Why did the heads decide to extinguish them? What did they ever do to us? I have pondered this since the beginning, when it was announced to the public. My brain practically jumped out of my head because it was so overused.

Grents Day, Jert 4137
No bombs today, just combat on ground. I was against this girl that might have been my age. She was injured yet her face held determination. I backed her into an empty alleyway and told her to get out of this place before it was blown up. I can’t bear to kill anyone.
Heya Day, Jert 4137
I hide inside my courters on our battle ship. I cannot fight today. The girl is stuck in my mind. Will she get away to safety?
We moved on to Mercury last night. Half on Venus, half here. All I was thinking was, not another one, a whole other place packed with innocent people now dead. How can I live with myself? I must escape.
Zers Day, Jert 4137
Escape Day! I found that there is a small ship in the hold, which I intend to take. If I can get ahold of it, as of the plan, I will fly to the Green Passage, which is the opposite direction of the Fire and Ice Poles. I don’t think I can trust any of my friends here, unfortunately. I guess I’ll have to go alone. Unless…maybe I can find the girl! To risky, going back there though. Goodbye, war!’
Nhyl just barely escaped, but he did and is still alive on Aero.

Pila and Q’lo were in the war. Sludo was there, too, but he was only five. They were visiting Saturn at the time the war started. At the third week of the war, they were about to leave when Sludo was taken and put in a prison on Mars. Pila and Q’lo got there as quick as they could but Q’lo was taken away and deposited in an army base. He found Nhyl’s journal soon after befriending him and wished he could have escaped with him back to Dazt with Pila and Sludo. When the war finally ended, he couldn't find Pila and Sludo, who had escaped back to Dazt thinking Q’lo had, so he tried to find some way to get home. He traveled for years and ended up on Earth. He traveled in the Arctic north some time before finding help and the way home.

It was a brutal war, the Great War. Millions were killed and the two defending planets are no more. And, once again, Earth was clueless.
On the last eve of the war, the heads of the offending planets were furious that Mercury and Venus were still there. They devised a plan so intricate, so perfect. They would take their war ships and pick up Mercury, then fly and drop in on Venus. But that was not all. The ships were designed to let out a gas fatal to Mercans. It would be trapped in Mercury’s atmosphere. (If you were wondering, Earthlings don’t think Mercury has an atmosphere because of what they consider an atmosphere. Every planet has some sort of atmosphere.) And when the got to Venus the ships on the bottom would leave and help the others push Mercury down into Venus. Quite like Earth and Thea, just this one forced upon the planets.
So the next day, the ships were released unto Mercury and the gas killed off everyone that hadn’t escaped. It was dragged across space to Venus, many miles away. People were crying and screaming and trying to get away, some were silent, welcoming death, some hated the violence so much their faces were red and hands clenched. I wondered if Udi liked this. I found out later it was too much for him. He never got sleep and others were helping him. He insisted on doing the most work.
At the time of the war, the Ilai were not as strong and could not fight. I have made them stronger since then. Venus, obviously, couldn’t move away, so they were all crushed. The explosion was massive even though no one heard it. I didn’t want to look, but, needless to say, I had to.
And then things went back to normal, after the week long party that is. Mars, Jupiter, and Neptune were jubilant.
I was sad, but I get over things quickly. Then, ten years later during the Fire and Ice War, I showed a girl on Earth to four kids on Dazt, and the Quest began.