Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Archive > Mary Balogh

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Just curious if anyone else has read anything by Balogh? Did you love or hate it?

message 2: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I have read books 1-3 in her Huxtable Quintet series (First Comes Marriage,Then Comes Seduction, At Last Comes Love, Seducing an Angel, A Secret Affair),some I have liked more than others. I do plan on reading book 4 and 5, I am especially interested in reading book 5.

I am currently reading Dark Angel/Lord Carew's Bride by Mary Balogh , which is a reprint of the first two novels in an older series. I happen to really love Dark Angel so far. I am half way through.

message 3: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
I haven't read anything by her yet. Rhonda has, she read that while series, you mentioned first. I have them all, just haven't started them yet.

message 4: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Well, I am interested to hear what you think of the Huxtable Quintet series. I do really like Dark Angel/Lord Carew's Bride so far, Shell. I know you were wondering about it. I think I will read that entire series when the rest of it is reprinted in the two for one volumes.

message 5: by seton (new)

seton (lindaseton42) I've read over 60 of her bks. I'm one of those hardcore fans (of which there are legion and very tiresome they are too so this is the only time I'm gonna say it) who much preferred her traditional regencies to her regular long historicals

message 6: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Interesting. I'll have to check your shelves Seton, thanks for your input. I am pretty new to reading Balogh myself.

message 7: by Kelly (last edited Mar 16, 2010 08:05AM) (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments I have reads a couple of her books.

I really, really liked A Precious Jewel by Mary Balogh

But I hated First Comes Marriage by Mary Balogh

message 8: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I remember you hated that one... I guess I didn't hate it because it was my first Balogh book. I didn't like "At last comes love" in that series.

I have considered checking out a Precious Jewel... Kelly, what did you rate it at?

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Alycia wrote: "I remember you hated that one... I guess I didn't hate it because it was my first Balogh book. I didn't like "At last comes love" in that series.

I have considered checking out a Precious Jewel....."

I just noticed that I did not rate and review First Comes Marriage. I will have to go back and do that.

I gave Precious Jewel 4 stars.

message 10: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I may read it at some point. I do like Balogh, but I can't read her books back to back like some HR writers.

message 11: by Ilze (new)

Ilze (ilzeval) Mary Balogh is one of my absolute favourite authors and I've tracked down and read every one of her published books and novellas. Most of them have gotten a 4 or 5 star rating from me, but a few have gotten 2 stars and a couple only got 1 star. Some of her novellas are pure distilled emotion (The Anniversary, The Wassail Bowl, Spellbound). Among her books my favourites are the Simply and Slightly series, No Man's Mistress and Secret Pearl.

message 12: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Ilze wrote: "Mary Balogh is one of my absolute favourite authors and I've tracked down and read every one of her published books and novellas. Most of them have gotten a 4 or 5 star rating from me, but a few ha..."

I'll have to check some of those out. Thanks!!

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 144 comments Ilze wrote: "Mary Balogh is one of my absolute favourite authors and I've tracked down and read every one of her published books and novellas. Most of them have gotten a 4 or 5 star rating from me, but a few ha..."
I read some of the Simply series Wicked I think and one other. They were good not memorable but good.

message 14: by Julianna (last edited Aug 03, 2010 11:53AM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 124 comments I recently read my first Mary Balogh book, Longing. Even though I'm not a big fan of love triangles, I did enjoy it. It might not be for everyone because it has a very languid pace and strong historical element surrounding an organized labor movement, but I thought it was a good introduction to her work. She has a rather different writing style that is lyrical with subtle undercurrents of emotion.

message 15: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "I recently read my first Mary Balogh book, Longing. Even though I'm not a big fan of love triangles, I did enjoy it. It might not be for everyone because it has a very languid pace an..."

I haven't heard of Longing, Julie. But Balogh has so many books. I think, the books I have read that is, her writing style is just what you described. Slower paced, lots of history, not smoking hot love scenes, but a more subtle romance.

message 16: by Julianna (last edited Aug 03, 2010 05:05PM) (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 124 comments It's one of her older ones, Alycia. It was published in the 1990's and is OOP now. Another GR friend had said I pegged her writing style surprisingly well, so now that I have two confirmations, I'll know exactly what to expect the next time pick up one of her books.:-)

message 17: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "It's one of her older ones, Alycia. It was published in the 1990's and is OOP now. Another GR friend had said I pegged her writing style surprisingly well, so now that I have two confirmations, I'l..."

I agree. Some people I have chatted with say they like her older ones better. I have read a few reprints and they were good. I have also read a few new releases. Balogh is not my favorite, but I do like her books when I am in the right mood for her kind of historicals. I'm interested to hear what you think of other books she has.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) I have quite a few Mary Balogh books and strongly recommend the "Slightly" series.

message 19: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Thanks Heather. I have wondered about those books... if they were good.

message 20: by Julie (new)

Julie (julieanne1) | 1 comments I have read nearly all of Mary Balogh's books. For the most part, I have thoroughly enjoyed them. I especially liked her "Slightly" and "Simply" series books. They were lots of fun. The "First Comes Marriage" series was also good. Look on her website to see the order of her books and read them in order if you want to enjoy them the most.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Oh, I don't think I've read the "Simply" series...now I need to.

message 22: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
Too Many Books To Read... I could bury myself in them... Lol. Still haven't started these...