Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

RRR Discussions & Top-Lists > Can you recommend city romances?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 3778 comments I've been reading a lot of romances set in the country lately and I'm ready for some city romance (not paranormal or fantasy though.) I just want some romance set in a city...can you guys recommend some you've enjoyed?

message 2: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Mar 15, 2010 02:15PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Debbie Macomber's contemporary Cedar Cove series is set in a town in Washington state. It's got 9+ books in the series starting with 16 Lighthouse Road. I havn't read the series yet, but I havn't run into a Debbie Macomber series I didn't like. This is the author's official website's page for her Cedar Cove Series, and it includes a map of the town. It's not New York City, but it's not rural either. Cedar Cove is based off Port Orchard, Washington.

http://www.debbiemacomber.com/index.c...

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 4233 comments Contemporary romances set in a city sounds exactly like what Photojim likes to read. If he's busy and doesn't see this post, have a look as his shelves, I'm sure you'll find something.

message 4: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 3778 comments Thanks! I'll do that.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 5294 comments Thanks for the thought Sandra. I don't usually care what the setting is other than *not historical*. My first thought off the top of my head is the J.D. Robb, In Death series are all city based. They are also all future based but that is an inconsequential point.

Faking It by Jennifer Crusie is set in German Village in the city of Columbus OH. And yes, Columbus is a real city. It is the 16th largest city in the US and the largest city in Ohio and my current residence.

Ain't Too Proud to Beg by Susan Donovan is set in San Fransisco. Too bad the story isn't better.

Between Lovers by Eric Jerome Dickey is actually really pretty good and is also set in San Fransisco/Oakland. (not technically a romance novel)

The Elegance of the Hedgehog is good and set in Paris. (NOT A ROMANCE)

Queen of Hearts is set in New Orleans and is actually a lot of fun.

My Nerdy Valentine is a definite city book and fairly amusing - though not my favorite of the 'Nerd' books.

Her Book of Pleasure takes place in Chicago and is pretty hot to boot.

That's what comes to mind without too much thought. I'll keep this in mind and post back here if I come across one. Does the city have to play an important part or does it just have to take place in the city? All of the above books let you know that you were definitely in the city.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 4233 comments See, I knew you'd have lots of ideas.

message 7: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 3778 comments Thanks for the recos, Photojim! I'll check them out. :)

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (Jim_formerly_Photojim) | 5294 comments Anytime. Well, except when I'm not around. Or maybe not when I have something better to do. I guess if I just don't feel like it I won't help then either. Wow, now that I think about it I'm just a selfish prick sometimes. (there's supposed to be a joke in there somewhere but I'll be damned if I can find it)

Pleasure by Eric Jerome Dickey is all about Atlanta (OK maybe not ALL about Atlanta, there is some three way sex with brothers too but it takes place in Atlanta)

I'll try to keep this in mind if/when I come across others.

message 9: by Dalene (new)

Dalene  | 82 comments D.G. I would definitely read Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove series. I have read them all and thoroughly loved them!!

message 10: by KimKirt (new)

KimKirt | 1638 comments Photojim wrote: "Anytime. Well, except when I'm not around. Or maybe not when I have something better to do. I guess if I just don't feel like it I won't help then either. Wow, now that I think about it I'm jus..."

Bahahaha, well, I laughed at (with) you Jim. I just commented to my husband the other day that the older I get, the more I dislike people and just don't want to talk to anyone. Not that I was ever a phone talker to begin with . . . okay, now I'm starting to ramble. Toodles.